Tree of Savior Forum

Swordsman is a joke DPS at high levels, but why? (this post was made in April, before R8)

no one wants a monk T_T yeahhhhhh T_T and everyone is complaining about swordsman >_> nice try.

with hidden amour for swordsman, i bet swordman is a better tank.

try compare a swordsman and cleric/mage who have same def and magic def get hit by same mob, you can see the different. ( i tried it in 190 dun )

Double pay’s xp bonus works only for the doppel, and as far as money goes it seems it only doubles yours too. But shhh, dont tell that to your party mates.

TS is just unskill. gl next games. cya.

Isn’t that what swordies WITHOUT swashbuckling do? Just do damage to get agro? But still theyre call “tanks” 'cause, you know, “swordies”.

yes, better. But not specific to that class tree alone. Be it good or not, the point is that almost everyone can tank. the question should be, ‘can they tank properly?’ Pulling and maintaining aggro should be considered.

In that sense, a swordsman who didn’t take Pelt c1 (doesnt have swashbuckling), could not initiate aggro, nor pull properly. Therefore, clerics and wizards who are able to tank have the same conditions as a swordsman who didn’t take pelt.

If you looking for full con tank :smiley:

I’m here,
the one who love to taunt and shield up !!
the one that can fix all equipment
the one that also having a dinner table soon

thanks IMC I love to be this TANK supporting role.

TTluckyseven : Lucky repair Max +25% bonus on ur service.

ps. LFP for any grind from 160 (I’m 164 now) @Klaipeda (NA)

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

not really the hidden def for swordsman helps a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

what hidden def for swordsman?

First of all, arguing with an ignorant player who think swordsman or melee classes shouldn’t be out DPS or have higher DPS than range class is pointless.

This guy who replied to you just pointed out the fact.

I really wonder how many MMOs you have played or what kind of MMOs you have played or if you ever play any melee DPS classes before in any other MMOs. Guild wars 2, world of warcraft, Archeage, Knight Online, Blade and Soul, Aion Online, Perfect World Online, Tera Online, etc. Or have you even played any competitive Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) before? I don’t think you had, as your mindset is that melee DPS class should have less damage than range DPS.

Nowadays, majority of MMOs in the market, they have melee classes that out DPS or same DPS with range classes. What is the point for being a melee DPS classes can’t do damage when they get close to the targets? People that argue Swordsman got higher HP, such as 3 times HP than other classes and should have lower DPS are basically either PVE player or haven’t played much in melee classes in MMOs. Let’s not forget there is a PvP battle in this game. Even experienced player of swordsman in ToS – Cathexis says that swordsman is inferior PvP battle. Although this game is more PvE oriented, there are a lot of people including me want to play in PvP battles or Guild battle. I don’t even want to talk about how broken of the mechanic of melee classes at the current stage, because the game is still new. However, I really doubt they will make a big change about it. Another major issue of ToS Swordsman is lack of Gap Closing Skill. The only one I can name is Pouncing from Barbarian circle 3. It is so laughable to put a gab closing skill at circle 3. For the Dashing ability isn’t going to do much for PvP when you can simply get cc. Pain barrier? LoL, only some physical cc – stagger, knockback or knock down. I bet you would lick the floor before trying to get close to a magic class. People like you who simply ask people to reroll range class or play other game is just laughable. For me, I just want to try out this game and bring back some Ragnarok Online gaming memory.

In addition, I haven’t seen a MMO which its melee DPS classes barbarian, berserker, warrior, gladiator or whatever fancy name for heavy armor DPS melees have lower base HP than other leather armor or cloth armor classes. So please don’t even try to argue with the high HP of a swordsman.

Hiding behind anonymity? Well, probably yes, because I don’t even wanna waste much time to entertain or explain to an ignorant and stubborn person.

9 Likes

-Edit-
20charactersblabla

There’s a risk if swordsman damage is the same or higher than archer/wizard.
TOS class system allow us to take any class advancement so we can have high HP and high damage, taking advantages of any class we want.

If there should be any melee DPS class, I think it should be a new class tree without tanking and healing ability.

I think he talk about HP and block formulas.
Swordsman have more base HP than others classes (around 16k+ on lvl280 w/o any points in CON vs 6~8k for others classes) and have two times more block than others classes.

NOW i ll give my pinch of salt for this topic.

First, «High Level»? \o/
It looks like some buddies doesnt understood this game will have far more than 280 levels
 What’s the point of balancing it right now?
Second, I play Swordman and, if you are QQing in this topic, my last words to you will be: l2p.

They do have +500% aggro attribute you know.

Dude you got this really wrong. Dumping Clerics into support or Swordsman into Tank/Support is stupid, it should be a choice based on build.

This is how it is currently.
Physical Ranged - Archer
Tank/minor support - Swordsman
Magical Ranged Character - Wizard
Magical Zones Character - Cleric

How it should be is.

Physical Ranged Character
Physical Melee Character
Magical Ranged Character
Magical Zones Character

Whether something is DPS or Support or Tank should be based on the stats and your chosen ranks. Late game DPS sphere’s should be equivalent in DPS to each-other. If anything swordsman should have slightly more DPS then Archers and wizards because of the inherent dangers in having to be in melee and needing to hit and run to avoid damage.

3 Likes

Actually, based on the TOS mechanic document, swordsman do have some extra physical defense just as how wizards have some extra magical defense. From what I found in the document,

Physical Defense = Level/2 + [Level/4] <- where this is the additional bonus for swordsman

Magical Defense = Level/2 + SPR/5 + [Level/4] <- where this is the additional bonus for wizards

The additional bonus according to the formula seems insignificant since max level 280/4 = 70 extra physical defense only. However, I went in the dungeon with dant12345 and we noticed that swordsman took lesser damage compared to cleric with the same equipment and plate mastery. Even with similar magical defense and physical defense, swordsman took like
400-600 less magical damage in level 190 dungeon. Not sure what is the hidden mechanic though. Might need somebody else to test it again.

I misunderstood this attribute’s description.

Provoke: Increases provocation when enemies attack by 50% per attribute level.

Regardless, If you didn’t initiate the pull, you still need to attack if you dont have swashbuckling. But that’s kinda situational i guess.

This irritates me for some reason. Its like youre saying that they shouldnt patch that hole on the hull cause theyre not in the harbor yet. Plain stupid. You are not even considering that depending on this game’s success, an end-content content would be too far in the future. Not days, not weeks, not months, but YEARS!! So youre expecting most of the swordies to ‘just wait’ to enjoy the game?

It’s just simple. The discrimination for swordsman at end game is ridiculous, just by not having at least Peltasta you are not wanted.

2 Likes

No You’re the one who miss-understand
 lol :grin:
@cheehou8 use your quote to support his argument against @Dr4gon
The wall text above was for Dr4gon

CMIIW @cheehou8

1 Like