Tree of Savior Forum

Stand Alone Client?

Don’t Get Me Wrong, I love Steam and i use and play Steam,… i just want to ask if we are going to have a Stand Alone client? which you Don’t Have to Go Through Steam or Have Steam and just Download The client in the website install and play. if we don’t have well that answers my question :hankey: thank you

1 Like

BUMP Works here? i just wanna know?,.

It all depends on what steam calls SteamWorks integration.

If the game has a sort of thing where it pulls your steam info, inventory and such from Steam then steam will be unavoidable. If the game just uses Steam as a distribution platform like FFXIV does it for example or many other games like EVE online Aion and so on… they yes you’ll be able to install a Stand Alone Client.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of Steam for MMORPGs. If there’s a standalone client for the English version coming, I’ll wait for that. I’d prefer not to have to deal with Steam unless it’s for non-MMO games.

The only good thing using it on steam would be good for is seeing how much time you have clocked. :watch:

…and showing how addicted you are to certain games. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I would also much rather prefer a stand alone client because I don’t like to use steam if at all possible

Stand alone would be preferable but to be I don’t mind steam either

2 Likes

i prefered stand alone cause im running a low spec gaming rig and want to upgrade it soon >_<"
and running steam might slow down my gaming expirience =<

1 Like

Well there also would be the fact that you can trade items… If they indeed go with Steamworks integration.

You can also do that with non-steam games, you can link them to steam so steam tracks you playing them and gives you a steam overlay. It’s pretty nice.

Unless they fully make the login process through Steam (ToS account tied to your Steam account) you will most likely be able to run it without running Steam. Simply make a shortcut to the game launcher in your SteamApps folder and you’ll be able to run it even if Steam is closed.

I don’t know if they’ll tie your ToS account to your Steam account, but they probably will have an alternative log-in system, as with most MMORPGs.

It’s more than just game access. With a standalone client:

1. I can access the game without having to deal with anything extra (Steam UI).
  2. I won’t have to pay extra because Steam wants a cut of the profits for hosting the game.
  3. I won’t have to deal with Steam issues on top of issues with the game itself.

From what I can tell, when you make an MMORPG account through Steam, you can only pay for that account through Steam. You can’t access or pay for that account if accessed through a standalone client. If there’s not going to be a standalone English client, then it’s highly likely ToS accounts will be bound to Steam accounts.

Steam only charges a comission when trading. You can buy stuff (games, items, etc) via Steam wallet without paying any extra.

Steam can help you connect with your friends, collect achievements, cards, share screenshots, etc.
I dont see why people hate steam. Its just a computer games “toy-store” where players can meet each other.

#TL;DR : Excuses! Steam is LOVE! Steam is LIFE!

Steam UI (excuses…)

I find it annoying when people add “going through the steam UI” as an excuse to not use it.

• …because putting your game in the favorites list is too much work.

• Double clicking the name in your installed games list (you don’t have to click the play button) is too much work.

• OR…get this…putting the game’s steamapp shortcut so you don’t even have to open the Steam UI on your desktop is too much work.

• Right clicking the Status Bar Icon and selecting the game from that list, which instantly pops up a list of installed games…too much.

You click through more buttons to install the game from the SA client, and even more than that if they decide to use a…ugh…pre-launcher
1- Desktop Icon >| 2 - Laucher |> 3 - Log In |> 4 - Start |> In-game

vs

Steam [Starts on System startup] >
1 - Click Game to start > 2 In-game

[Steam can store log-in credentials on the client’s PC, instead of you having to type them in every time you start the game.]

This assumes IMC doesn’t pull a re*** Aeria Games and have a Steam link that starts the updater-launcher and negates the whole point of even being on Steam in the first place, since no one is playing their games via Steam*

Get used to it…it’s not even more of a workout anyway. And if you’re computer is too weak to handle it use the Steam “Small Mode”…or buy a better laptop (and don’t act like they’re that expensive either).

Monetary

Valve takes 30-40% (the more you [dev] make, the less they [Valve] take) on the BACK half of all sales from the month. This means, for you the player:

1. The price you as a player see is the price needed to offset the ‘loss’ of paying Valve OR it is the original price, with the ‘loss’ already factored MEANING ->
  2. It doesn’t matter for you at all, unless the company springs a leak in the wallet department and need to recoup losses (which seldom happens. They’d just release more shop content, like Z8/Tencent does with Crossfire).
    You’re still going to be buying $20-$100 worth of in-game premium currency, and the company already knows the 30%-40% doesn’t mean much to their bottom line thanks to the wide base that is Steam.

Example:

$126,000 [random number] @ 30% = $78,000 -> $48k after.

We have no way of telling any of their other expenses during the month (like traffic to the game and web servers, server hosting [of they don’t already have a contract], employee wages, how many employee’s they have working on the game, office rent, etc…but Z8 Crossfire pulled in a cool $100k on the sale of 1 item, in 1 month…and it was only ~10% of their sales (The item in question was only about $5, and players had to load in $10min at the time), so I can guess ToS will pull in enough to hold their butts for the next 3-4 years in order to keep the game afloat, and you’d nary be the wiser that Steam was plucking 30%-40%.

Platform Issues

Typical issues range from players who have horrid, virus laden, HDDs that ruin the game cache, all the way to the Steam servers being over burdened during a Steam Sale (which does not happen often).

HOWEVER, more of Steams issues are documented then the ones you’ll be sending tickets to IMCGames about, the ones with sparse detail (“e[3] - 0x000000. Contact Support” style error codes that tell you nothing) and no online documentation, leading to the forum where 200 other people have had the same issue and are flinging insults at the developers for not replying to tickets or closing threads to “muffle the noise”.

I’ve had Steam up and running non-stop for over 3 years now and I’ve only had problems when the power cut out while steam was doing something, or when the Summer Sale was going on and I couldn’t make a purchase because the prices were HOT like oh my god… o_o

2 Likes

yea i love steam also but, i also want a stand alone client xD sometimes don’t like the idea of i need to open steam just to play this game :blush: having one won’t hurt anyway? sooo i’m just asking,… if you love steam go use it? but if people see it abit pain in the ass? why not have a stand alone client? just my opinion,…

@Note: i use steam, so don’t bash me that i hate it and be a fan basher :sleepy: i just don’t see any draw backs in getting a stand alone client? its more like a Plus feature having one

I just want to download and install the game by itself without any more extra junk. Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

I personally prefer Steam client because I can communicate with my other steam friends while playing. I can also probably invite some of my friends who don’t know about this game to try playing.