Tree of Savior Forum

Serious complaint about Murmillo C2

The recent release of Reitiarius made me question the utility of Murmillo C2. The class was already sort of underwhelming before, and now it feels like a horrible choice compared to what you can get by going Murmi 1 Reitiarus 1 instead of Murmi 2.

First, Reiti net skills can be used with a shield (which is a bit odd to me, since historically Reitiarius never wore a shield). Then, we have the absurdly good damage boost the net provides to all pierce attacks, +100% damage. I can’t even describe how strong Stabbing is with the net debuff (14k+ skill factor without even considering Spear Lunge).

Murmi C2 gets higher levels on Scutum Hit and Headbutt, which overall increases the damage by about 18%. It’s not bad, but even with Headbutt’s debuff it certainlty can’t even scratch the effective skill factor of 6222% per overheat for Trident Finisher + Net debuff. Heck, one Trident Finisher lv 5 overheat is worth more skill factor than all three of my Scutum Hit lv 10 overheats.

Then we have Shield Train, which is incredibly unreliable as it often shoves mobs further away than grouping them up. I seriously can’t belive how straightfoward useful Throw Rete is in comparison to the horrible grouping ability of Shield Train.

The only reasonable reason someone could have for going Murmillo C2 right now is the Sprint buff, which to be honest, still bothers me as to why a class would lose move speed only to gain it back later.

I’d like to add that even if you go full strike-dmg build for rank 8 (Pelta 3 Rodel 3 Murmi 1), you’re still much better off with Reiti at rank 9 than Murmi 2. The damage and utility Reiti 1 offers far offsets what Murmi C2 can offer you.

Oh and the Scutum Hit 2x AoE atk ratio attribute? Forget about it, you’ll never be able to mob enough enemies within that small AoE (not with Shield Train anyways) to make use of all that AoE atk ratio.

I thought the same a long way back, so when Retiari job became available I ranked down and took Retiari c1

Problem is that Murm C1 is so incredibly overvalued that C2 had to be toned down. Murm C1 significantly boosts the damage of all shield based skills and is an incredible value rank for any pelt or rodelero build to the point where it is basically required.

Murm C2 tones down the problems with C1 i.e. Speed, and adds some utility and a bit of damage.

I do agree that for any spear-based murm build, that Murm1/Ret1 is better, but IMO it is not better for Sword & Board Pelti/Rodel.

Along the last patches that boosted damage on a numerous classes, I don’t think that the boosted shield skills of Rodelero and Peltasta are overwhelming anymore. Now they are just standard, and with the Shinobi nerf since attributes don’t count on Bunshin anymore, it just doesn’t compete with other classes rank 8/9.
I don’t see any good ranked Murmillos in TBL anymore. You can’t call Shield Train utility. I think Sprint is ok, but c2 needs a major boost, just look at Zealot, or Retiari, Sage.