Tree of Savior Forum

Secret of Kateen Forest - continued

Inner, AKmen, and Cranto are probably the Nak Muay items
I thought the Gytis one was the appraiser flowers, but it doesn’t seem related

Salvia i’m guessing is the Kedoran Badges quests
Extension is the Gas/Defense gimmick

1 Like

I have some findings on the Kateen Forest mystery. Talk to me @ Tchuu#4283 on discord for more information, it has to do with the troubadour’s song, and a long-winded theory that I’m trying to prove right now. I need the 5 minute owl to spawn to be sure, or to find the merchant.

1 Like

The tl;dr is that I’ve found a definitive connection between the 4 mysterious NPCs we’ve found in Kateen forest areas so far - And possible confirmation that they’re the only ones involved in this complicated line of quests.
Spawning the Dandelion Merchant(*“Wandering merchant: Like a dandelion’s seeds, I am merely one who follows the wind. Since we’ve met in such a curious way, perhaps you could spare a moment to view my curiosities?”)(remind you of anyone?) will probably require interactions with the Troubadour and the owls.
I’ve got a group of dataminers who can work out what each function does in the game files, I’m trying to find the specific conditions for him to spawn while testing out a theory related to the spawning of the Sensitive Owl.

Updates: Currently datamining the entire game folder in order to find said function, I’ve found a few other interesting things. Accidentaly googled Katyn and found that it’s a location in Poland, yay!
Other than that, I’m pretty sure I’m going insane over the number of tabs I currently have open.

1 Like

“Request of the Captain Owl” is apparently somehow related to the wanderer. I’m not sure if that is surely the case but you can check it goes under Hidden Trigger 2 as well here, translated:
http://toscamp.com/tos/db/index.php?target_db=z_gentype_f_katyn_13
It causes SOMETHING to trigger in Katyn 13, which is Poslinkis.

I have found no other mention to the function that is attached to the merchant in the entirety of the game files.

EDIT: The Captain Owl referred to in the message is the Foreseeing Owl in Saknis. Proof: image
This picture shows the Foreseeing Owl is the only Owl to use the “Owl Captain” model/npc type other than the one in the Orsha side maps.

Here’s Captain Owl’s Favor in Tos Neet

Its location in the map. Somehow, something that triggers this leads to the merchant, via the Captain Owl.
The Troubador’s song sings of each of the 4 characters in this tale in order, one of them mentions Dandelions(the merchant/wanderer), one of them mentions the questioning owl, one of them mentions “a friend that goes away”, one of them self-references the Troubadour.

Completing the captain Owl’s request causes KATYN13_1_TO_2_TRIGGER to be flipped on. What does it do? No idea, guessing it enables the Wanderer to show up.

I did the entire Karolis questline and picked up the three books, but this should feel VERY relevant.

Karolis died to protect a girl, leaving behind Sequoia and the owl statues he carved in Karolis spring, becoming a tree… The Explaining owl talks of a girl…

If you see the jumpscare owl, type in the following:
I will give you my life, if you give me the power to protect you.
Karolis
Sequoia
I have no idea if this will work, but that’s my current theory.

@darkexiler I need you.

Tested this thing for the heck of it, no luck.

Karolis has a hidden trigger here. It says EXPLORER_MISLE20 is called when it’s activated.
http://toscamp.com/tos/db/index.php?target_db=z_gentype_f_katyn_10

Other hidden triggers include Karolis’ Sanctuary, Fever and Light Completion
I have no reason to believe the tombstones that shine after completing the zone quests have anything to do with it, but there is a hidden gate near the Captain Owl(!) that doesn’t show up on the map.

I’m standing exactly on the gate’s spot. It should teleport somewhere? Idk.

The repeatable quest in Letas Stream rewards a readable. There’s a gate near the main quest owl in here too. I’m starting to believe I have enough evidence to suggest all of the maps and the Karolis story are connected to the Katyn mystery. Still unsure of Grynas.

Another hidden npc, this time in Letas. I can’t see it, or know if it spawns at all or is related to something else yet.

4 Likes

Sensitive Owl spawns 4-5 hours after Saknis Plains’ channel restart.
If you enter the map with nobody else in it, owl will show up after 4+ hours. I did this a few times already.
I usually leave my client afk for 4 hours and then go watch a movie in window while seeing Owl’s spot in window-mode client in the background. That makes things easy.

Btw, it might be worth keeping in mind that Sensitive Owl has two dialogues:
“QUEST_20150317_000294 The owl howls…”
“QUEST_20150317_000295 The owl howls… It looks very sad, crying alone.”
It only ever says the second line. First one is probably what it says when you have met some condition.

The trigger at Karolis Cradle is for Adventurer Anastazija’s exploration. I noticed that most if not all HiddenTrigger4’s are for that purpose.

There is a hidden NPC in Letas that is used as part of hidden Pasleptas collection. (Which reminds me I haven’t earned Mikhails Review yet. I guess I really should complete it…)

One thing I forgot to mention was I collected 50 Dandelions from Inner Enceinte District and it seems to be the maximum you can carry. I haven’t tried collecting any significant amount of Dandelion Spores though.
Holding 50 Dandelions doesn’t seem to have any effect on Sensitive Owl, Troubadour nor ever-missing Wandering Merchant.
I know that Dandelion is used for Nak Muay quest (and Dandelion Spores are used to get Dandelions) but it seems fishy to me how there’s two easy ways to get Dandelions while for Nak Muay you only ever need one.

Lately I found out that a person from my guild has met Wandering Merchant a few years ago. Like all the others, she was using a 100+ level character just doing the Kateen questline.
I’m expecting merchant’s trigger to not be very complicated nor high-level unless it was changed over the years or he bugged up after some patch.

One more thing that still occupies my mind is the book about Modestas. It’s also clearly related to Kateen, Tesla, Ausrine and Boulder but there’ no way to find it in game, except from reading it in Valandis.

1 Like

Regarding the “hidden gate” in Karolis Springs: it’s an object of type HiddenTrigger_CantGen150.
I’m guessing these are just locations that are meant to prevent spawning and approaching of field mobs.
There’s a few types of these. They’re also often misleadingly labeled as Gate Entrance.

1 Like

I notice that you cant set shops near npc (I know what you are thinking “Dah! I read the patch note too”), but here is the catch…

it also works on NPC that aren’t visible or no longer there…

2 Likes

I just saw something odd in Poslinkis Forest. :hey:
In spot right next to Wandering Merchant’s location there’s that visible interaction.
For a brief moment I could see it as a blue light.
Tried interacting with it but nothing happened.
I moved away for a moment and it was gone already.

1 Like

Aaand just now it turned back on again (within 5 minutes)… and back off again when I moved away.

Edit: And it’s back on now. It’s messing with me. Or I’m finally gone crazy.
:haha:

1 Like

Guess is my time to travel the land again with my main…

hope I find something…

anything :confused:

EDIT:

This aren’t mutually exclusive :smirk:

I can make shop on the location of blue orb but character reacts to it even if not visible, this mean thing is interactive but not considered an “npc”/object or related thingy…

but next to it on the left I cant make shop meaning something is there…

False alarm.
:tired:
There’s multiple lights and they’re matching locations of mushrooms from Onmyoji quest.
I picked it up not long ago. I’m not supposed to collect mushrooms from Poslinkis but apparently they light up anyway.

1 Like

so the spawn on it left are mushrooms or are the shrooms on same place as light?_?

also, was on EoKF checking locations where NPC spawn or could with my Sage…

Still got lot to check, only did a loop on starting area

Wandering Merchant’s trigger is invisible.
Light spawns on the same locations where mushrooms should.

It would be great if someone could confirm if 4x Onmyoji quest mushrooms spawn also in Clover Highland. Onmyoji guides don’t have these marked.
There are interactions and I can see lights there.

It would also help if someone could confirm that these lights show up when you start Onmyoji quest (no matter which tasks Uska gives you).
Btw, you need to stand near the interaction for a longer while until the light shows up.

1 Like

I tried experimenting with Onmyoji quest. After picking it up on another character mushroom spots in Poslinkis Forest did not light up.

I’m guessing that this might be a bug. Perhaps devs made these spots light up during incorrect Onmyoji quest.

My character for whom they appear has Onmyoji quests at Inesa and Plague Doctor.
If anyone has these quests please confirm if mushroom spots light up.

1 Like

Hm. Here’s something that caught my attention:

What’s the point of this message? Could be lore I guess but is it?

And why two Tree Root Crystals so close to one another?
Player’s don’t need two.

1 Like

Linking for reference: Karolis Altar buff.

Btw, fun fact: in game files Sensitive Owl’s name references Karolis Springs (“KATYN_10”).

1 Like

i think lorewise the tree roots were made by the demons

1 Like

After I completed main quests at Royal Mausoleum, Pilgrim Road and Great Cathedral Tesla has finally started giving me this dialogue. He didn’t do that before.

4 Likes

are you sure he doesn’t say that on new char?

1 Like

I snapped a photo last month that i forgot to send it here. I’m not into researching the mystery. An NPC popped up in burial grounds that cannot be interacted with. It’s probably just nothing but if it helps, here ya go.

1 Like