Tree of Savior Forum

Scaling is a mess

The way the quests, exp and whatnot work now… level scaling is all over the place.
I ended up stuck at the church stage almost 11-15 levels below the mobs there and effectively could not proceed efficiently.

More experimentation needed.
It seems partying up resolves this (slightly) but in the end results in the scaling becoming even more skewed as you progress since your total effectiveness increases faster than your actual character progress.

I was at lv25 with lv1 gear, lv40 gear I couldn’t use and when I got to 27-28, I no longer had any quests and my options were left at ‘grind repeatedly for a few hours for one level, several times.’ or ‘attempt to fight things over 11 levels ahead’.

Suffice to say I tried both and neither are very pleasing.
I attempted these with an equal-level party and without one.

p.s. Playing as Krivis, in this case. Not the best choice, but you get the idea.

4 Likes

You need to grind on monsters that are yellow, if you fight the ones that are red, the experience isn’t as good at least that what I experienced with our party. If anything has come over, the quests just give you a path to follow / story the game still has grinding attributes to it. as of right now I am level 25?

I’m already well past this stage.
The fact remains it’s still a big mess.

I wouldn’t say it’s a mess, I know a lot of people don’t like the fact RO gets mentioned a lot, but I think a part of this game is to be apart of the community. Find a group, find a hard dungeon and party up, farm for loot and grind experience. Unlike games like WoW and FFXIV which essentially have a quest path for you to get to max level, I am pretty sure they didn’t intend for that here.

2 Likes

But it seems there is no such good dungeon to farm as its pretty linear :smiley:
I played korean beta…and exp WAS indeed TOO MUCh …but reducing it like this…woah…not cool

3 Likes

It’s a mess.
The silver, the gear, the exp, the quests.
None of them line up properly…
I always have too much of something I shouldn’t have and too little of something I should have more of.
I spend way too much time teleporting around to handle my finances.

1 Like

What a blast from the past. I played your MMO at one point…

Anyways, on topic, it’s an utter mess. You’re always fighting stuff 10 levels above yourself and getting gear you can’t use, but get very little XP from mobs your own level which you basically oneshot.

2 Likes

All I get from all of these posts is complaining about how the game doesn’t do everything for you. You to busy to handle your stuff is your problem not the games.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

I tought that was possible… I saw n people grinding same quest over and over again in Korean CBT3…

This is proper feedback, make of it what you will.
The game’s progression flow is in a mess.
If you’re here to complain about the fact people have different viewpoints and feedback, I’d advise going elsewhere, this is the feedback section.

Slightly annoyed edit :
I have said nothing about the game not doing anything from me.
I gave my legitimate feedback on the status of the game.
The fact that it sounds bad is because to most it is.
I am still doing my part as a tester and I can almost guarantee you’re doing less because you’re actually replying to this without reading what people are writing.

tldr : If you want to whiteknight, go do it in a thread where the section’s entire existence isn’t meant to provide feedback.
All I get from these posts complaining because they can is that you guys aren’t testing the game as much as the people who write down their feedback. I don’t care how biased those people are, you’re doing a much, much worse job.

3 Likes

As I said…I palyed the korean beta too…and it just seems smoother. Theres nothin wrong with a game torturing u a little though :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure to understand what you are asking for.
More quests ? Greater EXP rate?
I personnally like the grinding because it encourages people to group up until everybody are ready for the next zone. People are more enclined to communicate when they face the same difficulty together.
I understand it’s not pleasing for those who want to play solo though.

2 Likes

This is working as intended. You aren’t meant to progress on quest xp alone. Don’t leave dungeon 1 until you’re level 25. Don’t enter dungeon 2 until you’re 40.

That means grinding monsters. Lots and lots of monsters. Join a group, it makes it go faster plus it’s more fun.

That will solve your problem of constantly being broke as well as your XP problem.

2 Likes

I am not trying to white knight anything, if you don’t like it, maybe the game isn’t for you?

I ask for nothing.
This is feedback.
Literally ‘what seems to be what’.

The rate of xp gain, the level of gear, time spent questing/grinding are all disproportionate to one another.
Other factors are included, but those are more detailed and I can’t be sure how it comes into play.
i.e. damage taken to damage dealt ratio to higher enemies, etc.

This results in why people keep getting stuck or confused at different levels because whenever they adapt a different class, party setup/size or method… the already-messy scaling doesn’t allow them to adjust well because they’re disproportionately set into their condition.

edit/add : @Gregory_Gawaran
I don’t like you very much either, because you keep making up things “I said” and pretending that you’re not just here being rude because you think that every negative feedback is somehow a good reason for you to throw your spite around. (can you even quote where I said these things, I can’t…)
The most I will do is flag and report you for spam.

3 Likes

Okay for the feedback, but how would you fix it? It’s interesting having your opinion about that too, as it can reveal better what’s the issue.

The scaling is only a mess because of 2 things:

1. This beta test has something like .10 xp rate of the base KCBT’s.
  2. The exp cards weren’t fixed like the KCBT is currently, so your getting massively less.

If both those are fixed you’ll find yourself at the appropriate levels for main quests, and then grinding areas.

Right now it’s huge unnecessary walls, with strange gear gaps, etc.

I’m all for grind, if that’s what they want to do to this server, but at the current rate, most people will be turned off at level 14 when they hit mines.

To compare things, I was 20 when I went into mines in KCBT (without exp events), and the content was appropriate for my level.

4 Likes

I’m no expert on this, though I am aware of the xp deficiency. (courtesy of @Kiyoshiro)
I can’t assume you’re right, but it’s a noted difference and the results are as seen.

I haven’t a clue.
The most I can do is clarify that there are problems that reduce the entertainment value of the game.
You’ll have to ask people more experienced than I in ToS’s intended concepts. (if there are any)

It’s possible this is actually how they want it to be played… but that’s not for me to consider.

1 Like