Tree of Savior Forum

[Review][Mini-Guide] Swordsman: All classes and best builds

@Cathexis
Do they shoot the pistol?..
Or stab you with it like when using dust devil?

They shoot with the pistol.

We will have to wait for people on kTOS to reach Corsair C3 so we can get a video of it, hopefully it is fixed/improved now, as before it would attack slower compared to using a dagger (because it had to change between animation of stabbing and animation of shooting ).

Maybe they even change it so it stabs with the pistol instead of shooting, we will see.

What would be an excellent Tank Focused build now what with 7 Circles? The one ending with Fencer looks good, could add more to it or just take Squire for its usefulness. What would you recommend doing?

Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite C3 -> Doppelsoldner -> Shinobi

If I advance the auto-attack build to Shinobi for its Bunshin no Jutsu, will it become a Phantom Lancer?

@alexandrious2001

Compared to other games, Tree of Savior doesn’t have “tank focused” builds, as tanks don’t exactly exist in this game, at least not the way we know them from other games.

In Tree of Savior, every Swordsman is a tank, no matter what classes the build has. Peltasta makes the job easier with it’s AoE taunt, that is why it is highly recommended to take that at Rank 2. But other than that, you can pick whatever else you like and be a tank without any problems.

So your build would depend on the classes you want to play with, which could mean using a spear with Hoplite, a rapier with Fencer, dual wield with Corsair, a sword with Barbarian/Highlander, mounted combat with Cataphract or out-of-combat utility with Squire.

You have a wide arrange of builds to choose from, so I would need more specific information to give any help about the one you choose.

@nightrain_scy

There is not much information about Shinobi yet. While we know what the skills look like, we don’t know the details of them yet. For example, we know how the clone skill looks, but we don’t know what skills are able to be used by the clones or if auto-attacks will work with them.

Assuming clones also use auto-attacks, then yes, you would be Phantom Lancer.

But we will have to wait for someone on Korea Tree of Savior to acquire the Shinobi class, so we can get more information about it. Until then, we won’t really know.

1 Like

Sighs, I know that. Thing is their are class combos that will tank better than other combos no matter what ya say.

For me though, Duel Wielding would be nice. Along with Squires convenience. What kinda build would work well with that which wouldnt be destroyed in seconds like a DPS focused Swordy would?

Not the case in this game. All the tanks (Swordsman) in this game build primarily for DPS, and no one gets destroyed in seconds for building DPS.

For a Corsair/Squire build, it would depend on how far you want to go into the Squire class. To stay optimal, you would only be able to get 1 circle of Squire at Rank 7, otherwise it wouldn’t make sense getting Corsair.

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Squire
Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C2->Corsair C2->Squire

With Hoplite you have more prowess against bosses, while Barbarian offers more mobbing potential. Corsair specializes in dual wielding but it’s potential unlocks at Circle 2.

And with Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Highlander C3 -> Fencer you apparently get the best tank build in the game, just throw in squire or whatever, due to its highest evasion, ability to use all damage types, shield use when required, etc. Soooo yea…their will be better builds for tanking compared to others. That and apparently they made all the mobs in the game, according to the Korean version, much more powerful. Which leads me to believe that if a dps focused swordy does try to tank in his leather 0 con build with two hand weapon, I will end up kiting around and resurrecting him. Sighs…

Gonna have to see what the Corsair build has to offer.

1.- Swordsman doesn’t (shouldn’t) use leather.

2.- If you watch the streams of the korean server, people are already 160~180+, and the mobs have been pretty much as easy as ever.

3.- In my opinion mixing Highlander with Fencer isn’t that much of a good idea after the changes on kOBT, but if you think that is the best tank build in the game, then use that one.

I can’t give you much help with your minimal information posts, with no explanation of what you have found during your research so far, what you have thought about building so far and your questions about said build, and the “sighs”.

Yeeeeaaa…thing is, their are other highly experienced swordsman players that suggested Leather for a reason, and played multiple Sword builds to at minimum 80+ for a reason…think you yourself may wanna do some research. That and well, you yourself stated that it is the best tank build… its in your OP…

Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Highlander C3 -> Fencer

Advantages

Best tank in the game
Better at bosses than it’s counterpart
High burst damage through Lunge and Slash-type skills
Access to all types of damage: Strike, Slash, Pierce
Has consistent access to Bleeding
Has access to Armor Break
Can use a shield when required (Block)
Disadvantages

Has to stick with Rapiers, so it cannot use Cross Guard
Rapiers have low durability
Isn’t as good as mobbing as other builds

Sound familiar?

Your not having a Giraffe are ya mate?

@Cathexis
Can Finestra and DWA be active at the same time?

Yeah, as long as you are using a spear on your main hand.

1 Like

@Cathexis
Does the Finestra buff apply to your off hand attack?
Or just the spear?

As long as you are using a spear, the buff will remain active in your stats window. This means that it will have effect on everything you do, including auto-attacking (primary and secondary) and skills.

The buff itself is not applied to the weapon, it is applied to your character.

2 Likes

Heh >.>
/20characters

leather usually gives best dps stats so why not use them ?

It is just smarter to use Plate.

You can take a look at TOS Base’s Item Database, but here are a few examples:

As you can see, most equipment give defense oriented stats. But there is also the Armor Mastery attributes:

Plate Mastery: Defense

• 3 pieces give +34 HP per level (+1700 at level 50) and Physical damage taken decreases by 5%
  • 4 pieces give Stamina (+16 at level 50) and Physical damage taken decreases by an additional 10% (15% total)

Leather Mastery: Dexterity

• 3 pieces give +1 Evasion per level (+50 at level 50)
  • 4 pieces give +0.5 extra Evasion per level (+75 total at level 50)

So a quick comparison at level 170 Plate vs Leather set using 5 pieces:

Plate: +180 Physical Defense, +2278 HP, +6 CON, +72 Accuracy, +72 Evasion, +37 Critical Resistance, +14 Ice Resistance, +38 Stamina, -15% physical damage taken

Leather: +55 Physical Defense, +3 CON, +91 Accuracy, +166 Evasion, +3 DEX, +35 Critical Attack, +8 Dark Resistance, +25 Stamina

No matter how you look at it, Plate gives the best stats all around for a Swordsman.

There is also the situation of particular builds. For example, Hoplite doesn’t really care about evasion and the stats Plate gives are better for those builds, while Corsair really likes to have the extra stamina so Plate is better too.

What about DEX builds, wouldn’t they want that extra evasion?

Not really. They are already building heavily into DEX (which gives Critical Rate, Evasion and Accuracy), and the amount of points they need to feel comfortable with their Critical Rate gives more than enough Evasion already.

The difference between Plate and Leather is only 94 Evasion, which isn’t gonna do much when you are already dodging as much as you can with your DEX alone.

No one has done extensive research on how Evasion works in the game yet, but there is definitely a soft cap as it is impossible to dodge 100% of the attacks.

Here is one my favorite videos about this topic that Mixology made to test Evasion in the game: ‘Perfect Dodge’ and Sadhu class

On the other hand, all the stats you get from Plate will help your build more since you can take advantage of them.

What about Vubbe Fighter Gloves and Cafrisun Set?

Cafrisun doesn’t work with Concentrate anymore. And in my opinion, in the first place it wasn’t worth giving up all the stats on better equipment to get a very small extra amount of damage.

Vubbe Fighter Gauntlets are nice to have at low levels, but eventually every build outgrows them. From my experience, it is around Rank 5+ when most people stop using them in their builds.

The gloves also got slightly more difficult to get now, and by the time you get them you might not even need them anymore. If you can get them sure, use them, but don’t go way out of your way to get them, it is not worth it.

Hoplite also doesn’t really need the gloves, since they get Finestra.

What about awakened items?

From my experience, even using the best awakened items still results in Plate winning over Leather.

You could go around and look at every possible combination of awakened items and find out one that could work better for one specific build while using Leather. But it wouldn’t apply to every Swordsman build, and overall most if not all the builds benefit from Plate more.

4 Likes

Vubbe gloves are useful in pve for as long as there isn’t better aoe gloves. And imo evasion is much more useful in in pve than defence and accuracy is much more useful in pvp.

Maybe from those sets plate is better, but maybe future will have actually better dps stats on leather.

That is the point though, once you are past certain threshold of evasion it means that adding any more results in a waste of stats. It is inefficient to force the use of Leather past that threshold.

Then you look at the difference of Accuracy between using one or the other, and it is not a meaningful difference that will have an impact on PvP (16 difference at level 120, 19 at level 170). Meanwhile the extra HP, Stamina and reduced Physical Damage from plate armor will have a much larger positive effect on PvP.

You can do the math yourself. Using leather is just not smart to get the most out of equipment.

Like you said, maybe it could change on the future. But that is a big maybe and basing conclusions on assumptions is never a good idea. So right now, backed up by real data, plate is better.

Plate is probably best in pvp, but i still think leather has more value in pve as i said vubbe gloves are useful and imo best gloves atm so you either go with 3 plate 1 leather or 4 leather.