Tree of Savior Forum

[Review][Mini-Guide] Swordsman: All classes and best builds

@yodish92
Oh I was speaking from CBT2 experience.
Idk about the new stuff.
So I won’t oppose your opinion, I know nothing about how things work in the OB.

@iroasetajos

It is highly recommended that you still get Peltasta, as that is your main role in parties for grinding and dungeons.

Giving that up makes your role of being a “tank” more difficult, but not impossible. It is just that most people really want to have a Swordsman with Peltasta in their parties. So you would use Sword+Shield for dungeons and grinding parties, and swap to 2H Swords to deal damage once the mobs have already been taunted.

For this, I agree that currently Highlander is the stronger build overall for now. With Doppelsoeldner being the end class.

If this sounds like a build you would like to try, then the skills you choose will depend on the playing style you would like to have. So, what playing style are you looking for?

EDIT:

You can use something like this:

Swordsman->Highlander C2->Peltasta->Highlander C3->Doppelsoeldner C2

There are 7 free skill points in Highlander, which you can allocate on the skills you like using more.

And I’m not entirely sure about which Doppel C2 skills I like the best yet. Obviously Zucken is a favorite because it deals more hits, while Redel is a second best because it is also multi-hit. Even though Zornhau has big damage, the animation is slow and it only deals 1 hit, which in my opinion makes it ineffective compared to the other two.

We will have to wait for people to hit Doppel C2 on the kOBT to confirm how useful those skills are in practice, but for now that is what I would do.

@Cathexis
Btw I would like to point out how much I don’t like you now .-.
Now that you’ve told me about slithering’ magic immunity…
I REALLY want to work a c2 Rodelero into my fencer build for pvp… but then I have no dmg for pve until fencer :confused:
No good skills to mob with and trash dmg on bosses :confused:

WHY YOU DO DISS!?
Q_Q

@xechidna

I don’t think it makes much of a difference.

You can’t do anything while using Slithering, so no dealing damage while using it. Any smart player will just wait for it to end before attacking you again in duels (or blowing any high cool-down skill). And in group PvP people are just gonna knock you out of it or play around it, it will come down to your coordination with your team to make it effective.

In the end I think Rodelero is just for the extra CC, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a Fencer because your character becomes too heavy on PvP and your PvE suffers a lot.

@Cathexis
If there was an attribute to make it more of a gap closer like make you move at normal speed at least it COULD be ok…
But I see your point…
I KNOW highlander is great for pvp though…
well duels… Not party pvp…
But my friend who’s playing the KOBT, says that Barb and paltes is freaking great for mobbing with 2 taunts.
It’s really hard for me to pick one over the other right now…

He doesn’t have fencer yet tho.

(He’s basically testing builds for me and the rest of our friends.)

Since you want Fencer C2 and you don’t want Barbarian, then the choice is pretty obvious: just go with Highlander.

The only scenario where this would change, is if Sky Liner is not 0 CD anymore, then I could see Barbarian become the best build for Fencer again. But for now, both Highlander and Barbarian are pretty great choices for Fencer.

Personally, even though Sky Liner is strong right now, I would still go with Barbarian for my Fencer. It has a more versatile playing style and not having Sky Liner isn’t that much of a big deal considering Fencer gets Flanconnade and Attaque Composee.

@Cathexis
It’s not that I don’t want Barb it’s that I want everything on one character and I can’t have it all on one character…
I want to be a jack of all trades…
But I can’t be a jack of all trades…
I can’t have pvp, bossing and mobbing all on one class…
Unless I’m a fletcher >_>
I ■■■■■■■ love that class…

That is because of the limitations you imposed on yourself.

You want to have everything, while being a Fencer AND you also want Fencer C2. That is too selfish. If you want everything, then you shouldn’t care about what classes your build has.

You could easily have everything (at Rank 8) if you mix multiple classes. Sure, you won’t have everything at different stages of the game, as the build gets better with more ranks, and you also wouldn’t be the best at either of them, but your build would still be pretty good.

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C2->Corsair C2->Fencer
Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Cataphract C3->Dragoon

There are 2 easy builds that have everything (PvE, PvP, Tank, Mobbing, Bosses). I could come up with more build combinations, but these are examples of how it is possible to have everything if you don’t limit yourself so much.

I also think you shouldn’t be stressing too much about it. Our international open beta could still be MONTHS away, and lots of things could change until then.

Once it comes your time to decide on your build, then do it based on the information that is available then, not now.

If you are not playing on the kOBT, then trying to decide on a build right now is pretty much meaningless.

@Cathexis

I know that I’m sorta pigeonholing myself to fencer and your probably wondering why…
So I feel that I must explain my extreme lady bonkers for the fencer class…

Fencer is my favorite class… (Duh…)
Mostly because I take a weaponry class IRL and I AM a fencer, lol.
I feel sush a connection to this class that I HAVE to use it…
I want it to be a jack of all trades class because that’s what a fencer is IRL.
It excels in 1v1 dueling, and fighting multiple enemies at once.
The long thick cylinder blade of a foil allows for VERY long reach and quick effective blocking.
(This is why fencer can block w/o a shield in tree)
The style is agile and makes quick rapid strikes…
(That’s why everything is multi hit)
Ect…

I could go on for days about the accuracy fencers skills it’s attribute and why fencers skills do what they do in TOS…

But in short this class has so much accuracy to Fencing that IMC amazes me with it!..

My only problem with fencer is its lack of a gap closer…
(Since that’s what a lunge is supposed to do… But it’s k)

Edit:
Why corsair at c2?..
Or corsair at all?..
And I don’t personally think Barb is that great until c3
(Because your missing it’s best attributes at c2)

I gave you a build that still has Fencer in it:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C2->Corsair C2->Fencer

It has Peltasta for tank and PvP, Barbarian for mobbing and PvP, Corsair for bosses and PvP and Fencer for everything else.

Corsair is amazing for bosses with Hexen Dropper and Double Weapon Assault, and you also get Dust Devil and Iron Hook which are pretty good for PvP (Iron Hook + Keel Hauling deals lots of damage in PvP if you are good enough to land it). And best of all, you can use Corsair skills with Rapier.

You can also use:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Fencer C2

It has Peltasta for tank and PvP, Barbarian for mobbing and PvP and Fencer C2 for bosses and everything else. Sure, you kill bosses slowly until you get to Fencer, but once you are there (while you are not the best boss killer in the Swordsman tree) you will be decent at bosses.

I don’t see too much of a problem with any of those 2 builds, they are jack of all trades.

And for PvP, in my opinion, that is highly subjective. There is not a “best” build for PvP and certainly not one way to play for PvP, especially when it is group PvP. Multiple builds and playing styles will fit different party compositions and will play around differently.

@Cathexis
Completely forgot about iron hook and keel hauling ._.
That does sound remarkably nice…

GODDAMMIT CARHEXIS!!!
WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME! D:

Make build choices harder for me! :confused:

Lol

Also…

Fencer just because I want Fencer*
You could add a better class to the end of that…

Not sure if warcrying 5 enemies with lvl 5 warcry is worth it tho…

Think about it:

• Iron Hook can capture an enemy (or 3) for up to 14 seconds at level 10.
  • Keel Hauling deals 996 base damage at level 10 AND it also has Bleeding with the attribute.
  • Both Iron Hook and Keel Hauling have a 25 second cool-down, which is decent for PvP.
  • Hexen Dropper will deal even more damage because it is Pierce-type and it will get buffed by Attaque Coquille. Amazing for bosses.
  • Hexen Dropper is also a better option than Stabbing for PvP, since it is a lot faster and you can easily deal it’s full damage on someone after a CC.
  • Talking about CC, Dust Devil is a pretty nice and fast one, with overheat and 20 seconds cool-down.
  • Now, think about the Rapier+Dagger synergy. Corsair gives you more damage if you attack someone from behind while using a dagger, while Fencer increases your damage when not using a shield (dagger) on your off-hand. So, while not game-changing, it is a small little extra bonus to have.

Sure, the draw-back is that you can’t use the Corsair skills without a dagger (you can use Iron Hook+Keel Hauling and Jolly Roger though), but it opens more playing styles for your build to use and heavily increases your damage against bosses. Sure, you won’t have as much damage from the Barbarian skills or the Warcry attributes, but I don’t think that is too much of a deal.

With Corsair C2 you get better bosses, while you get better mobbing with Barbarian C3.

I am going to sleep, so might be a while until I reply again, but think about this:

By the time we get our international open beta or release, we could have Rank 9 already. Maybe Fencer C3 comes with better skills to make your build better, or maybe they buff, nerf or change Highlander/Barbarian/Hoplite/Rodelero/etc, giving you more build options to follow.

Maybe one of the Rank 8 classes has really good skills that complete your Fencer-all build, like Matador or even Luchador.

There are many, many things that could happen or change. Right now, there is no use to worry about your build.

Very good info right here and i certainly agree with most of your points. Now that i have my perfect build i just need to wait for the dragoon class to be implemented since i’m going full spear styled class.

Oh and i hear Lancer is a thing now.

@Cathexis The thing is I absolutely hate shield and I want a 2h sword build that’s meant for balanced pve and pvp.

I understand the taunt skill is quite important for grinding or protect the party but honestly I could care less about them since I personally think defense is pointless if you can take down the enemy before they can inflict fatal injury to you.

I sort of have my bias opinion on the build I mentioned with the mind that it should be the one that’ll suit my needs but I’m unsure if there’s any other circle I missed out.

I understand pelt is very useful objectively, but the fact that it needs a shield really break the deal for me. I don’t even want to swap and use it or whatnot. I’m okay with shield this entity but using it is a different matter.

im not cath but ill answer again lol

get squire
use it to buff your weapon for even more dps.
use arrest to lock down bosses and lower their defence to pummel them even harder with cyclone and skyliner
repair anywhere for longer grinding
you can also make some $ on the side selling services while afk and repairing peoples stuff in dungeons and grind parties

didnt know you had such contempt for sword and board lol

Well, if Peltasta is an absolute no-go for you, then you could do something like this:

Swordsman->Highlander C2->Barbarian C2->Doppelsoeldner C2

@iroasetajos

Taking advantage of the 0 seconds cool-down on Sky Liner, this is probably one of the better ways to go for a 2H Sword build, right now. You get most good aspects from both, Highlander and Barbarian.

But in the case that Sky Liner gets nerfed in the future (or if you simply like Barbarian more), then something like this would probably be better:

Swordsman->Highlander->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner C2

More heavy on the Barbarian side, gets more damage and the Warcry attributes from C3. You lose the Bleeding from Highlander C2, but I think that is a fair trade.

Finally, if you don’t want Barbarian that much, then you can just go heavy on Highlander:

Swordsman->Highlander C3->Anything->Doppelsoeldner C2

You get the best from Highlander, including Armor Break from C3’s Skull Swing. You can fill the Rank 5 class with anything, like Squire just as @yodish92 suggested, which is good for utility. Another option could be Corsair, since you can get an extra CC from it for PvP (Iron Hook), and the Jolly Roger utility. Or just fill it with Barbarian C1 if you want Helm Chopper’s stun and extra strike damage.

Can a squire use his/her on himself/herself? Like if im going squire and fencer so I have no problem repairing my rapier?

Yes, there is no problem using the skills on yourself as a Squire.

@Cathexis
Does Corsair’s DWA work with pistols?..

Yes, it does. At least for now, unless it is a bug or something, but I don’t think that is the case.