Tree of Savior Forum

[Rebalancing] Changing how Status Effects work (dispel and immunity)

Hello, Saviors.

I was looking at the status effects and Plague Doctor itself and I felt that it’s no OP because it’s good, it’s OP because the whole dispel/immunity system is lacking diversity. So I’d like to share my thoughts about it, redesigning the whole Status Effect Removing and Immunities systems.

How are different skills handling debuffs right now?

Debuffs are put into Rank categories. So far there are Rank 1 (almost every status effect), Rank 2 (a few others) and Rank 3 (all the remaining that can be removed). Rank 10 is basically a non-removeable rank for basically Loss of Control debuffs.

How can you improve that?

Instead of putting them in a Rank with the most easy or hard to dispel and every skill using this ranking system, I tried to make a more intuitive system, where every dispelling spell should remove different debuffs.

For example, Dispeller Scroll (Pardoner) would only dispel “curses”. Physical status effects (like Slow) wouldn’t be dispelled.

Every status effect has some features that are intuitive (some are magic, some are curses, some are physical, etc). That’s what I used to choose what spells could dispel what debuffs.

Ok, just one example is not enough. Did you list all of the current status effects and what skills dispelled them?

Yes. It took a hour or so to reorganize everything. I tried to get all the Status Effects from the wiki and a few others that I could remember.

Here is the list:
http://pastebin.com/U9zVDWsH

I see that you included 2 Murmillo Skills, “First Aid” and Teleport. You also want to make Counter Spell remove buffs as well. Why?

Because they could be seen as dispels as well.

We have 2 revealed/datamined skills for Murmillo. The Leap that appears in G-5 Star trailer and the helm one (“Prepare for Attack”) that also appears there and looks like Plague Doctor’s Beak Mask in the datamined icon. The first one has similar effect to Teleport (a bit less powerful because you are just jumping out) and the second one is probably going to be a buff (green background).

Source: http://www.tosbase.com/game/classes/Murmillo/

First Aid is something I thought as another spell for Squires that fits in their theme and their field support job. That is a built-in suggestion along with the whole system.

Teleport makes the character get out of where he/she is so I thought about adding a new dispelling effect to it (maybe with Attributes?).

Counter Magic is an anti-magic field and it feels like it can prevent every magic in the field. It felt too artificial to make it dispels only negative debuffs from your team so I made it become a more powerful double-edged sword. It feels more scary and needs more thought to be used. It’s a hardcore modification, but it could give some nice gameplay experience.

Final comments.

Thanks for IMC Games and everyone that plays/played ToS. I’m so far really attached to the game and I’m happy that it’s becoming better every patch.

And also thanks for all the readers. Please share your opinions on that system. We may even think of another system that fits the game better than this one!

2 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t mind some change either. Also the resist from stats could be distributed between different stats maybe…not just SPR.

I had a topic once… and I mentioned there also that there could be manual acts that uses stamina what could remove some status effects.

For example pushing directional buttons back and forth could shake off freeze. Rolling could remove burn. Trying to jump while you are asleep could wake you up. Sitting down could reduce stun time… etc.

1 Like

The idea of active mitigation is also nice. Yeah, I thought about some other interactions like freeze-flame from both enemies ending up overwriting each other. The system is more complex but more intuitive and it opens more options to make other classes (like Squire in my example) be more helpful and different from the others.