Tree of Savior Forum

Rank 8 preliminary thoughts

In case anyone’s missed it: https://treeofsavior.com/news/?n=541

Dragoon 2

Popular builds to possibly lead up to this include:

• Sword 1 > Pelt 1 > Hoplite 3 > Doppel 1 > Dragoon 1 > Dragoon 2 (PVE)
  • Sword 1 > Pelt 1 > Hoplite 1 > Cataphract 3 > Dragoon 1 > Dragoon 2 (PVP)

Focus seems to be building damage to current skillset + adding support, but AOE damage capabilities doesn’t increase much.

Serpentine’s new debuff seems like a good setup for 10 secs of physical burst damage, either in PVP to burst someone down or in PVE for boss fights.

Dethrone is a new cc skill that Dragoons and Hoplites desparately needs, because these 2 classes lack cc pretty badly. Damage doesn’t seem too great though, being a single hit skill.

Doppel 3

Sword 1 > Highlander 1 > Barb 2 > Corsair 1 > Doppel 1 > Doppel 2 > Doppel 3 (PVP)
Sword 1 > Highlander 3 > Barb 1 > Doppel 1 > Doppel 2 > Doppel 3 (PVE)

This class straight up probably has the highest damage, but looks like it performs best only in PVE as it seriously lacks cc for PVP, even with Barbarian stuns.

The new attribute for Punish doesn’t seem too great, as it’s still a single hit skill and cyclone still wins hands down, especially the level 15 version.

Fencer 3

Sword 1 > Pelt 1 > Barb 3 > Fencer 1 > Fencer 2 > Fencer 3
Sword 2 > Barb 2 > Corsair 1 > Fencer 1 > Fencer 2 > Fencer 3

The focus seems to have shifted dramatically towards PVP, with the increase in burst damage through increased critical damage from Epee stance, reducing enemy critical resistance from Balestra Fente and disarming enemy weapons from Attaque au Fer. All three skills are very PVP focused, although it will still perform in PVE boss fights (eg. world bosses).

The problem of lack of AOE attack ratio still exists, making this a single target focused class.

Templar 2

More support skills given on the battlefield. The class itself remains very limited to a support role in group fights.

Lancer 1

Sword 3 > Cataphract 3 > Dragoon 1 > Lancer 1 (PVP)
Sword 1 > Pelt 1 > Hoplite 1 > Cataphract 3 > Dragoon 1 > Lancer 1 (PVE)

This class is designed very heavily for PVP, but it MAY have implications for PVE, for example if there are bosses that throw down lots of ground AOE skills then this can be used to help clear that particular boss fight.

If using this class for PVP, Cataphract c3 complements this class so well that it’s pretty much necessary to be effective. Breaking through enemy ice walls, statues, ground AOEs, enemy mounted targets all require speed to charge through so that minimal damage is taken while doing so. The class itself doesn’t seem to have many damage skills, so its role seems to be more focused on support rather than damage, although burst damage is still possible.

Murmillo 1

Sword 1 > Pelt 3 > Rodelero 3 > Murmillo 1 (PVE)
Sword 3 > Rodelero 3 > Corsair 1 > Murmillo 1 (PVP - hardest build to level)
Sword 1 > Pelt 3 > Squire 3 > Murmillo 1 (PVE - tank)

There are 2 focuses to Murmillo.

1. Increased tanking capabilities - buffs gained through equipping Cassis Crista helmet.
  2. Increased burst damage by complementing Pelt/Rod skills (ideally with Rodelero 3)

The skills that Murmillo carries itself seems to be of a burst/cc nature. It is also capable of burst AOE damage but falls off in any sort of prolonged DPS fights. The SP consumption is too great due to spamming multiple skills using the Slithering / High Kick setup and once it’s out of SP, the damage disappears too.

This is the optimal rank 8 choice for tanks as Fencer has shifted its focus to PVP (explained above).

For current Corsair builds:

This new Rank 8 lineup unfortunately does not support Corsair’s dual wield builds very well.

• If you are currently Rank 7 Corsair 3, you’re out of luck - not many good choices to proceed from here.
  • If you are currently Rank 6 Corsair 2, there may still be hope. Best way to salvage the build is to go Dragoon 1 then Dragoon 2 and use spears.
  • If you are currently Rank 5 Corsair 1, be warned. Think hard about going into a dual wielding build with Corsair 2 because there are plenty of better options out there now.

For current Shinobi builds:

Same as Corsairs, unfortunately you’re out of luck - not many good choices to proceed from here, unless they plan to buff or fix the Shinobi class itself.

Notes:

Corsair 1 is considered good for PVP because Iron Hook is a Rank 10 status ailment which is one of the few skills in the game not blocked by Plague Doctor’s Bloodletting

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about

Sw2 -> Pelt -> Cata 3 -> Sw3 -> Lancer.

At lancer c2 and lancer c3 u may not use dragoon skills anymore while guardian would remain useful for evasion build.

1 Like

Just wondering, why is HL3 rather than Barb 3 the PvE route for Doppel 3? I’m so excited for these new ranks and the kTOS patch that I can start focusing on my swordie as my main again (as much as I love my musketeer lol).

I started a completely new character debating whether to go dragoon or doppel (purely PvE dps spec) and still aren’t sure. From the looks of it, I’m guessing Doppel will have more overall dps but dragoon obviously has it’s place (and there’s still Dragoon 3 to look forward to).

But yea, I’m still considering eventually making a doppel as well and am wondering why HL3 as opposed to Barb3 was the better PvE route, especially since we’re not getting 0 CD skyliner afterall?

Also, Serpentine buff + DoV lvl 15 on a doppel is gonna be insane.

Highlander 3 lacks cc, which is necessary in PVP. Barbarian at least has several stuns that they can use in PVP.

Currently I’m Sw>Pelt>Hop>PeltC3 (PVE Tank)
Two choices for me either going:
Dopple C3 or
Dopple C2>Murmillo
Interested in Murmillo because of the shields man. Though I didn’t went Rodelero, bashing some mobs at Rank 8 with a shield is feisty.

Your build is Sword 3 > Cata 3 > Pelt 1 > Lancer 1.

You’re taking a rank 2 class at rank 7. Evasion builds don’t work well at high levels, monsters hit you much more frequently even with high evasion. Dragoon at least offers damage, if nothing else.

This is a PvP build remember? And proxied just showed u can reach cap evasion against lv280 world boss with ease.

@GoldenCross thanks for this. Can I ask what’s your current swordie build?

Evasion doesn’t work against magic enemies.
If you want to invest in high DEX, you’re sacrificing STR and base damage overall.
In PVP, archers and wizards will be able to hit you.

If you still want to go high DEX, be my guest.

I’m planning to go Murmillo, but I didn’t anticipate its skillset, so my build is slightly sub-optimal but still ok. I’ve been using my character to tank, since DPS swordies weren’t much until now. What I listed up there are mainly optimal builds.

Same here, since DPS Swordies can’t contribute much in parties at early levels, I went through the Tank path (Sword>Pelt>Hop>PeltC3). Then came this :relaxed:
Now I’m torn between DoppleC3 or DoppleC2>Murmillo.

sword c3 > rodel c3 > corsair > murmilo seems to be the best route for pvp murmilo

That is a very tank-focused path. I wouldn’t go Doppel as Doppel c2 and above require 2H swords to use its skills.

Your focus should still be on Murmillo, although without Rodelero c3 the damage wouldn’t be the best, but the tanking aspect is still solid. Another option is to go Hop c2 at rank 6, then Dragoon c2 for rank 7 and 8. This will still give you some decent damage.

Yes, this is true since you can achieve a melee range hook easily by jumping in, something you couldn’t do with Long Stride because it pushes enemies back. However, since you only have Rode 3 and Murmillo skills, depending on your opponent, a full rotation may not be enough to burst the enemy down to 0 HP.

Archers with their high evasion will still be a struggle to deal with though.

Off for the day, feel free to drop more questions and I’ll get to them eventually.

Have a Sword C3, Rod, planning for Rod C3, Shinobi into Murmillo.

With the option to switch Shinobi for Dragoon in order to get 1h Spears access but I doubt that necessary.

My Doppel will obviously go C3.

how bout this one? all around striker build?

sword c1 > highlander c1/sword 2 > pelt c1 > rodel c2 > doppel c1 > rodel c3 > murmillo

mix in doppel for cyclone and Deeds of Valor, but then again i dont know how it would do in pvp since we dont have corsair

would you think doppels should get punish since it seems that it might be a decent aoe with a high multiplier if we should what would anyone drop since zuncken and redel seems to become really strong with the added hits? btw im was about to create my doppel and then this came out and i was like hell yea im doing it so would it be wise to invest into dex? i personally own 2 sissel plus i have a couple of lvl 6 greens and red but in eather case i can get 2 gladiator bands.

I’m building a swordsman with the following build:

Sword -> Highlander -> Highlander -> Rodelero -> Rodelero -> Rodelero -> X -> Murmillo.

As mentioned above Highlander C3 does not provide any decent CC pvp-wise, I’m wondering if getting sword 2 at R7 would help my build :confused:

No wonder they nerfed skyliner was my first thought. Dragoon 2 seems to be an amazing choice with that bonus 100% buff. What I will assume is that lancer skills are mounted locked based on the vids which could very well mean they’ll get an attribute that enable them to mount a companion.