Tree of Savior Forum

Queue before char selection

My suggestion is quite simple, the queue should be before the char selection, not after. It’s a pain in the ass to switch chars and need to wait all over again the queue.
Oh, and an addition, if you get DC’d you should go back to the char selection, not the server selection.

[quote=“Sorveta, post:1, topic:268592, full:true”]
My suggestion is quite simple, the queue should be before the char selection, not after. It’s a pain in the ass to switch chars and need to wait all over again the queue.Oh, and an addition, if you get DC’d you should go back to the char selection, not the server selection.[/quote]
I don’t think that’s a good idea and i don’t know how that would work.

If you get disconnected then that means that you lost the connection to the server.

a) If you lost the connection to the server, how should the game know what characters to display in the character selection screen?
Without a connection and proper login to determine which team you are it’s not possible to retrieve character data from the server.

b) What if your IP changes due to a disconnect, for example when your entire internet connection reconnects, and suddenly you are in the character selection screen with an entirely different IP address? Wouldn’t that be really dangerous, just letting other IP adresses have access to character screens, without them going through the proper login prodecure?

c) If you lose connection, how would the game know that you are coming back to continue playing?
Imagine players getting dced for whatever reason, do you think it’s good to keep login slots reserverd just in case they want to reconnect?
What if 100 people get disconnected, should the server reserve 100 slots, just in case they immediately want to play again? What if they close the game, now the server suddenly has 100 wasted slots reserved that won’t get used and those who are in queue have to wait even though there’d be space for100 people.

d) The character selection screen is part of the game, need to be calculated by the server (afterall, you are moving characters around, can do stuff that affects the game and see equipment, so it needs connection to the server) and is thus limited by the amount of people that can connect to the server. If queue was after character selection screen then then that would mean the server would have to allow an unlimited amount of people in the character selection screen, so they can wait in the queue. However, since the server can’t process an unlimited amount of actions being done by people in the character selection screen having too many people goofing around in the character selection screen would result in extremely high lag for everyone playing.
The only solution then would be to have a queue for the character select screen, where then people wait in a queue to play the game.
So essentially instead of one queue we’d have two queues, which is not better.