Tree of Savior Forum

[Quality-of-life suggestion] Allow Swordsman class to autoswitch weapon (mainhand & offhand) on skill use too (like Archers!) ⚔

What is “autoswitching”?

To anyone who doesn’t know, while all four class trees have manual weapon set switching attribute at rank 2, only the Archer class has an autoswitching feature where your character will automatically switch to the other weapon set when you use a skill that requires that kind of weapon set. Archer skills will show as usable and not greyed out in the skill bar as long as you have the required weapon in either switch sets.

For example, Hackapells can equip a Crossbow+Shield by default while having Crossbow+Sword on switch. When they use Xbow+Sword only skills, their char automatically switches to Xbow+Sword to execute that skill then back to the default Xbow+Shield.

The same mechanic applies to other weapon-restricted classes in the tree like Cannoneer, Rogue, SR, Musket, Mergen & BM. Some weapon-restricted buffs though gets cancelled as soon as the autoswitch happens.

Swordsman woes

Compared to other classes, the Sword tree probably has the most limitations when it comes to synergy between classes due to weapon and mount restrictions on skills. This limits the number of viable builds for the tree compared to other classes.

Also, manual weapon set switching in my experience while works gets clunky at times especially with lag spikes - I can only imagine how impractical that would be for those playing at high pings. There are also times where the offhand or both main & off doesn’t re-equip for some reason when you try to switch back.

For example:

1.) Spear + Shield equipped by default with Spear + Dagger in offhand
2.) Manually switch for Spear + Dagger to use dagger-only skills (e.g. Corsair, Retiarius)
3.) Manually switch back to Spear + Shield to use shield-only skills but shield or both doesn’t get re-equipped for some annoying reason

There are also buffs that disappear when you’re not equipping the correct gear, but that’s understandable to a point and is better discussed in a different thread.

Now, as what the title says I hope IMC implements the same mainhand/offhand skill-use autoswitch feature that archers have on the swordsman class as well. :crossed_swords:

A little poll for this topic:

Are you in favor of implementing skill-use weapon autoswitch on the swordsman class as well?

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided

0 voters

Other poll: Which limitations would you like implemented on this feature?

@STAFF_Yuri :bowing_man:

Possible abuse and imbalance issues

To prevent abuse, for example:

We can make it so that auto-switching only works if at least either the mainhand or offhand is always equipped in either switches.

As an example (click to open)

1hSword + Shield
1hSword + Dagger
= YES

2hSword
1hSword + Shield
= NO

1hSpear + Shield
1hSword + Shield
= YES

2hSpear
1hSpear + Shield
= NO

I don’t like the idea of singling out 2hWeapon users though from enjoying this QOL feature especially considering that Archers don’t have this kind of restriction.

2hSpear
1hSpear + Dagger
= YES maybe? (since it’s not a shield)

The following suggestion could also work but the numbers (block rate reduction and duration) might need a more careful look and testing:

Please vote on the other poll that tackles this possible issue: Which limitations would you like implemented on this autoswitch feature?

The only comment I’d like to make:

Whenever switching back to a shield weapon, you should get a “reduced block rate” debuff which drastically reduces your block rate.

This way you can’t abuse switching such as 2h sword to cast strong skills -> back to shield & sword

2 Likes

As I know, yeah… but I’ll try after those updates make some consolidate requirements, nice tools for the ideal PvP , but well before that we also have to make the ideal pvp circumstances first though.

2 Likes

Which limitations would you like implemented on this feature?

• No limitations like Archers
  • Either of the mainhand or offhand (shield, dagger) should always be present in both switch stances (e.g. must have 1hSpear in both or shield in both)
  • 2hWeapon cannot be switched
  • 2hWeapon can be switched to 1h+shield/dagger with no penalties
  • 2hWeapon can be switched to 1h+dagger only with no penalties
  • 2hWeapon can be switched to 1h+dagger with no penalties and to 1h+shield with penalty (to be discussed - share your suggestions)
  • No limitations but switching back to shield should have penalty
  • I have another idea (share it in response to this thread)

0 voters

EDIT: I just realized the options “No limitations like Archers” and “2hWeapon can be switched to 1h+shield/dagger with no penalties” are pretty much the same. Sorry about that. :bowing_man:

Thanks for acknowledging my suggestion. Perhaps you can implement this on PVE situations for now? It’d be a really nice quality-of-life improvement for swordsmen everywhere. :bowing_man:

The 2h weps to X weapon + Shield seems like the best to avoid the abuse

1 Like

I think autoswitching should become a general feature for all trees, Archer, Swordsman, Cleric and Wizard.

It would offer the developers more freedom on utilizing different types of weaponry/sub-weaponry rather than being fixated on just Swordsman&Archer.

Let’s be honest, no Wizards and/or Clerics really use daggers because they don’t have any skills and/or benefits from using them. It’s still a mystery to me how Zealot didn’t get any dagger skills like e.g. “Assassination”.
Blinking behind the enemy with “Beady-eyed” does ± nothing if you don’t stab them with your dagger like the historical Zealots…

I guess the real reason for this was because the developers were afraid of suddenly introducing a Class that actually uses daggers into the Cleric tree.

And yet they made Retiarius a dagger & shield fighter without an auto-switch feature.

It’s somehow very confusing as to why the developers don’t build upon the opportunities they create inside their game yet, but it might become a thing in the future when more Classes are introduced,who knows…

About the PVP balance:

In my opinion just deactivate auto-switching in PVP completely,even for Archer.
It doesn’t make sense how a shield suddenly turns into a cannon or musket or whatever.

It also is very unfair, given you get the benefit of a two-handed weapon and a shield at the same time.
Having to switch manually for everyone seems fair, it provides more tactical elements for the game if you have to time your attack and defence on your own.