Tree of Savior Forum

(probably exotic) sustained Dragoon build // still theorycrafting

Hey all =)

I’m someone with a preference for a sort of exotic, yet well-working builds.
E.g. I played an Agi/Luk Muramasa Knight back in the days of Ragnarök Online, everyone knowing RO by now should know what I’m talking about.

So here went some thoughts into a nice Swordsman build leaned on my RO experiences…

• High Agi, very fast auto-attacks
  • High evasion
  • High DPS
  • Consistend criticals
  • Sustained damageoutput and survivability
  • Not being forced to use a quintillion skills, wait, repeat (hence the focus on sustained DPS)
    and… well, let’s keep these as main points for now.

The first point already got busted in Tree of Savior, as there’s no stat that increases your attackspeed. Doh! ><
Closest thing probably is Deeds of Valor from Doppelsöldner, so we’re going to have 1 rank in this one.

So there we go, a Dex build it is ofcourse.
First thought:
Full Dex
Plus the 35 bonus stats into con.

Finding a skillpath wasn’t that easy but eventually there’re not a lot of ways you could go anyway.
So it became:
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/mgqvjh0c24/

Of course, what else could we go?
Self buffs, a debuff+self buff in one skill, Doppelsöldner for the attackspeed and Dragoon for the looks and the occasional burst-damage.
Perfect, isn’t it?

Not quite.
Magic damage still kills you in this game.
In RO you have had Luk for crits PLUS lucky dodge which let you evade even magic damage.
So what do we do now?

Recently I found an interesting Topic:
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/ktos-spear-throw-buff-3-hits/322616

I played with the thought of this nice 0 CD skill before and now they’re providing it with a nice boost that could benefit us even twice.
Spear Throw, 0 CD, good damage, true multihit, 100% damage boost with Geras Spear, needs SP to become spammable.
SP is gained from Spr stat, Spr provides SP-SP recovery-magic defence.
Oh, magic defence? That was what we needed, wasn’t it?

Some quick thoughts later:
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/cspvxipf47/

We sacrifice Frenzy and Warcry and gain Spear Throw and Finestra that allows us to sacrifice some Dex for Spr.

From here on choices are pretty clear:
Get cloth armor + cloth mastery.
Get a Geras Spear, which isn’t too overly expensive from what I saw yet (around 300k).
Some additional SP recovery on one or two headgears.
Get ready to go.

Now there’s the more complicated part: stat allocation.
Con -> still the 35 extra points, we don’t want to get one-shot.
Dex : Spr -> ?
Maybe 2:1 ?
Maybe 3:1 ?
or even a fixed number like 50 Spr and the rest into Dex?

To be honest I can’t give a definite answer for that, as I can’t find information about how m.def even works.
Damage formulas could be (m.atk-m.def)+skill damage or maybe (m.atk+skill dmg)-m.def or (m.atk+skill dmg)-m.def^2 or something completely different involving like m.atk, m.def, time, location, food in your fridge, constellation of planets and age of the sun.
Who knows?
Well, I don’t.

If anyone of you can elaborate something about dmg/def-formulas, specific SP recovery mechanics like exact duration between tics, or anything else then please share it with us.

Even better, if anyone already tested a similar build, similar stat/equip combination etc. then please share your experiences with us =)

PS: For any Str-fanboys, going to brag about how much better the damage is and how a swordsman only is useful with full Str:
First please learn the difference between DPS and a burst-damage-glass-cannon-build.
And second please look furter than the current patch, as even simple math can tell you that with R8 and onward your little flat damage boost falls off quickly.
If you keep these points in mind, then feel free to join in in a constructive discussion.

Thanks =)

1 Like

nop…hop3?..peltast?..

Uhm… sorry if I don’t understand some random abbreviations without meaning or context provided…

What are you even trying to imply?

You might wanna try HL3>Hop2>dragoon too.

It’s a real boss killer, Also exotic~

1 Like

That may be true.
But on the other hand it would require the build to rely on bursts what wasn’t the plan behind the build in the first place.

Hmm, I don’t know, you can actually go with the build without relying on cross guard.

Skull Swing lasts long
Crown lasts long
You have a lot of decent skills to work with, complements long cooldowns on stabbing and pierce

I’m actually on barb bias and I’m promoting you this because Barb is more of a burst than HL

Oh and by the way, put 10/10 pain barrier. Your build relies on pain barrier heavily, and pouncing is very strong, giant swing is…crappy lol

Honstly, only real sustain dmg in swordie tree is Fencer with Attaque Composee. All other sustain dmg skills are very so-so, even the thrown spear one. Both of your builds are pretty much burst based.

Dont say they are bad tho. First one is actually quite scary in PvP if you do things right, because have lots of stuns, mobility+damage skills and also a thrown spear with root.

Second one is actually an old meta for PvE dragoon, but with addition of Drag2. They also go with Pelt usually for PvE, only go Sw2 if you badly want PvP, char with no Pelt = suffering, suffering, SUFFERING in PvE. And you still have Dethrone for PvP.

Both are ok, tho I didn’t watch how you distributed skills, Im only commenting on circles.

PS. Also, for being REALLY scary in PvP: Sw2-Hop2-Cor1-Doppel1-Drag2. Spear + Shield. Try hook + long stride combo, you will like it, guaranteed.

they just nerf serpentine atribute from 10 sec to 5 sec… bye dragoon dps, while they still buffing archer class

really hate how IMC overnerf swordman class, you have no sustain damage, no damage mitigation and no survavility for a melee class

this game should be renamed TREE OF NO SWORDMAN

@Lostac
I see where you’re coming from, yes.
Actually that wasn’t my point in going Barbarian over Highlander or anything else.
The reason behind highlander was its buffs that compliment better with a build going for consistency and less burst skill dependency. The buffs can go even with auto attacks, whereas e.g. Highlander would have to use a quintillion of skills, which I wanted to avoid.

And yes, Giant Swing is crap, but still funny.

@sttr413
As you’re pretty much focussing on PvP I have to tell you that I am not interested in any PvP at all.
Sure some skills I picked up are nice for PvP but that wasn’t the intention behind it. Funny though that the tree is so missleading.

You furthermore state that the Peltasta would be so needed for PvE, why is it that you think so?
If it should be because of Swashbuckling than rest assured that I willingly decided against it.

did you consider corsair if you ever wanted to auto attack in the first place?

Dual Weapon Assault is your friend.

Try something like Sword2/Pel>hop2>cor2>dragoon
yes it’s a dual wielding dragoon

Well there is 0 reason against going Swash on a char that doesn’t intend to PvP.

I levelled a Sw2-Hop2-Cor3 to 280, fully attributed and etc. And it was a fckng nightmare, and I won’t recommend it. Pelt makes and breaks your party grinding PvE or even solo grinding (because Swash + Cyclone is simply marvelous). And that’s basically the only type of gameplay you are going to get.

But by all means, it is not that necessary. I’d even say don’t go Sw2 then, go smth along the lines of High1 instead - for Cartar Stroke. Sw2 is mostly about restrain, concentration buff and some little seconds on pain barrier wont change much, while Cartar Stroke alone is very good.

hop 3 got bonus dmt to medium monsters with 1h spear now
the meta is just perfect for dragoon =/

was that attribute confirmed exclusive for hop3?
doesn’t show anything here, need confirmation
http://pastebin.com/fu4Tx4S5

1 Like

Hmm alright, thanks.

sad for hop2>cor2 builds

Why are you going Sw2 instead of Pelt1 if you solely intend on PvE?

Swash lets you easily gather 10 mobs at once to burst down with Spear Throw + other skills, and that is going to be miles better than whatever you think Sw2 provides. Guardian also allows you to stack up on evasion if you feel that the monsters are not missing you enough.

Even with Hop3’s Finestra granting you 150 crit rate (170 if you swap in Zega Spear), you are still going to want to invest into dex due to the high base damage on Dragoon C2’s Dethrone. To even hit the crit rate threshold for lvl 330 cap (786 crit rate vs 0 crit resists) you’ll need a minimum of 277 points invested into dex (3x lvl 7 gems, red veris gloves, 2x sissel, max peta), so if you were thinking of going with a str heavy build instead, I have some bad news for you…

Stop theorycrafting dragoon builds lol. It’s already nerfed. And will not be #1 DPS anymore.

Call me paranoid, but I start getting the impression that people don’t bother reading posts and solely look at skill tree links… oO

1 Like

Ignorance blossoming early this year, I see.

1 Like

lol ironic.
Please learn the difference between DPS and crit burst damage.
Please learn the damage formula and where STR and DEX fit into it.
Please learn how your armor interacts with enemy damage.
Please learn how useless evasion is in practice (have you ever even played the game?).
Please apologize for being completely ignorant and writing a post based entirely on false premises and being smarmy and completely lacking in self-awareness about it.