Tree of Savior Forum

Potential gears normalization in end-game PVP

Thread closed.

No longer relevant.

1 Like

We are all not new to forums. I totally understand these kind of topic are sensitive (the casuals versus the hardcores) and often easily goes off topic. I am not going to request forumers to stay with topic to focus on the issue alone, it is up to your descretion. Thanks.

To be honest, this is a very good change. It simply enables everyone to engage in PVP with minimum investments and it makes the debuffs of skills like “Devaluation” and “Disenchant” not as crippling as currently.

The main problem of PVP is that it is a CC hell where a lot of Classes have ± no way to participate.
Given the changes, maybe we can see the rise of some underdogs now.

Agree on the above. Class balancing, cc and attributes plays a role as well.

Gears and upgrades are not the sole reason for people to be winning in end game PVP like TBL. But gears and upgrades got the full blame, while other key culprits like skill balancing, and imba attributes, got away safely.

1 Like

I’m only here to say that the premise behind your argument, that every person who wants gear normalization in a reasonable amount is a casual, is extremely flawed and undermines your entire argument, and it’s actually offensive. Getting geared in this game is extremely easy and you aren’t “good” just because you have it.

And I say this as someone who has a full Velco set. Some level of gear normalization is critical to balanced PVP, and the extremely low TBL numbers (on Klaipeda especially) are a testament to that.

2 Likes

Nice headcanon. This thread is pure drama.
From my post in the PvP discussion thread:

Maybe you spent too much money on Diamond Anvils and is now spending on Leticia cubes to have your +21 stage 10 weapon?
The hardcore players will still have an advantage in PvP, because casual players try to cash their progression or only do Saalus and CM.

1 Like

2 different arenas is a good solution… still no solve the problem of few pvp content yet but is a start for new players, specially lv 170 ones (appear in my team a lot of these dead body ones ) test pvp without pression.

Im not opposed to having a seperate queue with gear being free, but im just saying good luck getting a match ever.

There are two ways to see PvP : Either as being “immersive” or “competetive”.

The “immersive” way to see this situation is that adventurers come together from their journey, want to show off their OP magical items and have a brawl to see who has aquired the best items and thus is the strongest adventurer.
If this is what TOS PvP should be about, then no gear normalization is needed, because showing off your rewards of the adventures is what this would be about.

The “competetive” way to see this situation is to see this as a sports event, similar to a soccer game or a chess game, where the focus is not on “getting the best sponsor to best the opponent by being able to afford better equipment” but “we measure skill, not wealth.”. That’s why there are limits and regulations in most competetive sports how much you can deviate with your equipment from the “norm” In a competetive sport the focus should still be on the player, not who can afford the best equipment.
In TOS, this would be “who can play his character the best” instead of “who spent the most money aquiring and upgrading their gear”.
In this case, gear normalization is absolutely neccessary. You can’t see who’s the better skilled player if equipment has such a huge influence on the amount of damage

Personally, since i’d rather win by my own abilities as a player instead of being carried by gear, i’m all in favor of extreme normalization of gear during pvp. Heck, i’d even go further and also normalize gear base stats (atk/def) and have only sub stats, set effects, awakening effects and jewels be different between players. The less gear difference there is between players, the more it is actually your own abilities as a player that makes you win the game instead of being carried by gear.

How about having both kinds: one for casual (all day, gear normalized, doesnt count for tbl ranking) and the other like always for hardcore players (1hour , gear with all stats and counts for ranking)

1 Like

https://treeofsavior.com/magazine/201807/ - page 34
“As previously mentioned, we are on the way to developing standardized armor defense and weapon attack values in TBL matches.”

This is no rumor.

I have already given my 2 cents on what Gear Normalization I want, but just wanted to elaborate more in a way.

The issue with full normalization is that it results in some skills (notably high SFR ones) overperforming. ToS, from what I know, does not have seperate SFR scalings for skills in PvP (which I think they should). While this is indeed more skill based when you look at it from a far away perspective, looking close to it reveals flaws that I think are just as bad as the current system.
a.) One shot builds will be even stronger. With normalization, armor will be practically on the lower side reliance on heavy sfr skills will highly increase. At the moment this is caused by power creep, but normalization will basically become a battle of skill builds, less about actual skills.

While the current system is executed horribly, it technically allows builds that would perform worse in normalized gear to have a chance to shine. Being crippled by the class itself despite having an oppurtunity to shine just bugs me to an extent ( poor balance in a way). having better gear remediates some symptoms of poor balancing but not the issue. It’s still better then not being able to play a certain build because others are less/more gear reliant and more rewarding and safe.

I disagree with part of your suggestion, it comes off as a band-aid solution… something that I personally hate. I would much rather see gear being normalized, so it can show or emphasize the problematic skills and/or builds, a step to balance the game further in my opinion. They’d be able to tackle the one-shotter, the unmovable, the unkillable and any final form Bhikku can come up with.

On a somewhat unrelated side note. I’ve always disliked the concept of “PvP only builds.” I would like every class to be able to have some role or viability in PvP and PvE.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.