Tree of Savior Forum

Population dropping again? V2

BB TOS, I won’t miss you for the rest of the year; Let’s see how many people will take a break/leave,too from now on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Itos was one of the biggest greenlights of steams and even appeared in top sales somehow, the real question IS what did they do with the easy XXX XXX euros or whatever that they have scammed?

3 Likes

To fund their new game, WolfKnights and TOS Mobile, of course.

3 Likes

one man’s lie risen from the dead

http://steamcharts.com/app/275850

2 Likes

What do you expect. The game has no fun in endgame or better said no endgame at all.

Blabla ET. ET is nothing. No skill, no fun. Just cash and gear check. PVP is the same.
Questing, style and soundtrack are very entertaining in the beginning and then it’s over. It’s not an mmo, it’s a coop game with a market inflated through cash items. The game actually is awesome until like 220 for new players and then the boring grind starts. If you are used to it and know how to play smart you can quest until 330 which is actually fun if you were new. That’s a huge design flaw.
But after going through 2-4 times… you are done.

Why should someone stay? To fish? Ridiculous.

9 Likes

TOS launch was botched. So what happened last year? IMC was surprised that there are 50k players trying to login. They bought more server space which cost a lot of money. They also got scammed by several people that abused the refund feature. So IMC probably used a lot of money last year. Then their developer was already thinking of abandoning this game by creating TOS mobile which we all know got funding from OUR money.

TOS should’ve been buy to play because IMC is a small indie company. They can’t handle 50k players trying to login at the same time. If you create a barrier of entry of at least $10 they can manage the population properly. Well we can’t change the past but this must serve a lesson to game developers.

TOS can be saved if they are willing to sell equity to Nexon Japan. Then IMC will have the money to revamp the game with the same assets, fix PvP and create a passable GvG content.

BTW the best way to attract people to create guilds is to allow them to monopolize a valuable item. Imagine if a guild gets to own a dungeon where you only need to fight one boss to get blessed shards or a dungeon that has higher chance of dropping materials. Then the guild can charge other players if they want to farm there. They can also kill enemy guild players if they try to come in. That scenario will force competition between guilds which means whales will have to spend more money.

5 Likes

I was reading a steam review about another game, and it mentioned, ‘best to explore and play with someone else’, and had been watching SAO abridged series on youtube earlier.

Which made me think to myself, if I could SAO style play with a babe for a long period of time, would I co-op play game X? In other words, if I wouldn’t wana play even with kawaii Asuna to keep it fun, the game must be gutter trash.

Conclusion,

WoW - nope.
FF14 - yes.
BDO - nope.
GW2 - nope.
ToS - nope.

This process was interesting cus it made me realise the main reasons why ToS is so meh for me right now:

1. A lot of the progression in the game is from moving from rehashed relatively small sized area too rehashed small sized area solving rehashed quests over and over. The game pretends you can grind mobs in these rehashed areas and progress that way if you find questing boring, however it doesn’t feel very rewarding as the devs seem to have decided to lower experience rate gains, reduce mob reincarnation rates, and there aren’t interesting drops worth grinding for, nor is there anything else you gain from grinding such as leveling up your skill levels - making grinding feel purely something you do for xp which is very 1-dimensional and boring, and it can take ages too feel any reward (i.e. in this case, the only reward comes when you finally level after a super long grind). Many instances, you can kill 100+ mobs in a row, and they won’t even have dropped a single thing (not even sure they drop gold??) lmao, which again makes the grinding process feel empty as fk.

All in all the attempt to be a hybrid and appeal to progressing via both questing and mobbing, has probably made the game subpar in both (compared for example to a game like FF14 which focuses mainly on questing and a lot has been invested in world building to keep the quests feel relatively fresh).

It also doesn’t help that a lot of the fun mechanics and classes get nerfed, resulting in you forced to pick boring classes, which makes the mobbing even more boring.

1. Even if you grind to a high level, you will find there isn’t much too do even then. The lack of a competitive novel Guild vs Guild and other player vs player systems (pvp or pvE) (save, the achievement system) feels severely lacking, as it results in the player economy being non-existent.
    After you tried out the TBL (which is limited too a few times a day) and attempted some of the later dungeons a couple of times, you’d very quickly end up getting bored.

The only real ‘goal’ in the game right now is equip your char well enough such that you can finish the current most difficult dungeon in the game, which doesn’t appeal too everyone. Basic infrastructure isn’t in the game, to incentivise and kickstart other ‘goals’ and creative ventures, which again will limit this game too a small segment of the population.

Simplified tl;dr

1. Tries to make progression based on both questing and mobbing, ends up sucking at both. Needs to choose one or the other.
  2. Lacks basic positive feedback looping engines of growth outside reaching max level, such as a competitive GvG system and other ‘mini-games’ that make the game more exciting to play on multiple levels.
1 Like

Well, not really sure what IMC tried to achieve when they kept going for rng route, instead of listening to feedback from numerous threads complaining about how people doesnt want/dislike Goddesss/Leticia cube, they decided to go "hey people pays for these, lets keep going for it!

You can see right here, what happened to the player base during the big rebalance, and what happened when Leticia cube was released.

This is gold (not during a peak hour)

Probably time to introduce a new marketing team, but i am in no position to decide what they should do.

1 Like

/snark
Meh, I’ll just enjoy the low HG competition.
Death stream bug seems to help with that as well.

ToS will repopulate with content patches. Though I don’t think there ever will be a golden age as long as western audiences stay pissed about the token system, gacha, and non-cosmetic cubes.

I think the bulk of the population was lost from token system and early major bugs. Like… not being able to complete the main story quest without knowing to switch off mouse-mode so you could click things. Dungeons not working half the time, burning entries, and taking too long to get parties. Or the convoluted leveling system with card hording, no respecs, and heavier grind. Take your pick I guess. Some rolled with it but most those were all major turn offs.

IMC could always do what maple story did… And toss up a clean server with cosmetic only in the cash shop. Isn’t that nexon’s largest server right now and where they make all their money?

2 Likes

Yay, I’m famous now, I’m part of the -2,74% gain :smiley:

2 Likes

Imc must learn that iToS health is not something that they can handle with events for new accounts. This kind of event only makes old players create new acconts and boosts the bot population in high lv maps. It creates a illusion that we have only lost 1~3% player base.
Old players are fading and the new ones leave after the exp events ends.
I’m just tired to hunt bots by now… but i’ll keep doing it. Someone has to in Silute.

Anyways, back to the topic. My final statement to this is:

“There is no salvation without optimization.” - 44, Pinata

2 Likes

IMC better hurry up with rank 9 and fps optimization for GvG, this 24 hour population is one of the lowest ever.

Also stop making alt acc exp boost event.

You are just making bot army stronger.

8 Likes

and that’s exactly what they wanted. more bots = steam chart looks better / alive.
this is the reason why they allowed afk necro, they don’t give 2 :poop: about inflation.
all these afk events are no different, they serve the same purpose, to make steam chart looks better.
that’s the truth.

5 Likes

playing 27 min ago

It’s true!!!

In order to survive in the game today, you need a necro afk to make money, not to compete with other players only with the legal ways to make money.

Started playing King’s Raid, a mobile game lol. Iunno, ToS is missing something , the ingredient called fun.

It’s weird, but I find that there is more to do in this mobile game than Tree of Savior.

5 Likes

24-hour peak

Keep up with the costume, “newcomer” event, lecticia and goddess blessed cube update IMC i am sure that will help retain people says no one ever

1 Like

Population decaying over time was anticipated long ago, way long ago, its kind of late to react now.

But complaint threads back then was just resulting with kids going “poor talking poor” comments and imc not even bothering to reply to such threads, most people got what they wanted i guess.:face_with_head_bandage:

All we can wait for right now is the card rework which will cause a short burst of hyped poulation that will just likely disappear just as fast, then we got the r9 which will probably just do the same.

6 Likes