Tree of Savior Forum

[Updated: March] Population count based on Adv Journal data

Updated with March numbers!

Hiya, here are the AJ data from February I collected yesterday before midnight (server time). Adv Journal numbers are a great data to have a better overview on the population count and player activity, so let’s check how things turned out in the last month.

# Server TN registered >1k points >5k points >10k points >25k points Jan '18 Change
1 Silute 13351 7377 3292 1528 123 17018 -21,5%
2 Klaipeda 7340 3418 1308 571 59 9320 -21,2%
3 Fedimian 6849 3408 1361 654 107 8026 -14,7%
4 Telsiai 3560 1860 691 282 34 4751 -25,1%
5 Varena 3433 1732 708 323 32 4690 -26,8%
6 Orsha 3048 1431 590 276 24 3919 -22,2%

And here’s the updated chart provided by another player who’s surveying AJ data since October:

Comparing the highest scores among AJ ranking leaders, we have #1 Silute with 77,039 points, #2 Fedimian with 70,584 points and #3 Varena with 68,260 points. It looks like Fedimian is the most hardcore server in hunting for Adv Journal ranking points. 1.6% of the registered players in the server have >25k points, while Silute, Varena and Telsiai have 0.9%.

According to Steam Charts, CCU dropped by 19.64% in February (compared to January). However, according to Adv Journal data, the situation is even worse. In January, we had 47.7k team names registered, but, yesterday before midnight, we had only 37.6k team names registered (-21.25%). Silute had 3.6k less team names (-21.55%) and the SEA servers, Varena and Telsiai, had the highest relative drops in population (-26.80% and -25.07%, respectively). By the way, kTOS had 13467 team names registered (8172 and 5295 on each server) in February (info provided by @Hmmmm).

As you can see, the situation is getting worse. Personally, I think IMC really dropped the ball by not bringing the new accessories and the guild raid/mission rework in the latest big patch. The players are getting more and more tired from doing Saalus and Challenge Mode every day (even if the game offer more things to do in the endgame, but it seems people are not interested in doing anything else besides doing Album Card events and participating in the TBL while complaining about it). Steam Charts numbers are positive for now, but how much will population drop in the following months until we get the next big patch (probably on April or May)?

IMC, it’s about time to rethink your update schedule for our server and how to make the game more interesting for your players.

19 Likes

They are actually hiring for people to work for steam server service and localization, I hope that would help the update schedule. (Maybe it’s partly the point of it?)

It will probably take months to see it have any effect tho.

2 Likes

I think these 10k loss is basically bots being banned, my guess would be around 500-1k players going out of game tho.

The game don’t offer much to begin with, only repetitive content, events are copy and paste, most of the times, probably due to the success it make for most players (level up events, gear events).

I’m not gonna say much about Lv events, but gear events is one thing that kills the will of some veteran players, since they wasted so much time to get the same gear being handed by the events.

Imho, this game’s CS don’t have anything good to offer, maybe the cosmetics, or the last few that are on TP shop, medals shop is some sort of countermeasure against the TP sale drop since the great fall (I’m talking about from the EA stage till after release) which ended up killing even more the sales.

They came with Goddess Cubes after a while, but was a bit expensive and only a few had the courage (or stupidity, w/e sails your boat) to buy, then they came up with the Leleticia, a more cheap version.

In all honesty, I stopped bothering with CS stuff when they came up with this crap of medal shops and moved all the good costumes and items there.

I’m not gonna say the game is all in bad, of course there where some good things like the weapon damage revamp and the skills too.

But some important stuff still missing or being ignored, and patience we already had enough for 1 whole year (2 years for some of us).

All-in-all, the project had it’s potential, but I don’t know what passes on IMC people’s head, if it pass anything in there, to turn this game in a PC version of mobile games model.

All we can do now is wait and see where this will go, it’s a sink or swim situation.

7 Likes

iToS has aprox. 3 times the player base of kToS, but they’re too damn proud to admit their main revenue comes from iToS and thus, prioritize updates over here.

That’s how games die.

@STAFF_Letitia @STAFF_Ines @STAFF_Yuri @STAFF_Han @STAFF_Ethan

6 Likes

Over here where? On kToS? If yes then I agree.

Because the updates that where released on kToS, bugs found in said updates and fixed after, they don’t pass right through to us.

We get the same sequence kToS get, but the worse part is, they don’t fix a dime. It’s rare they fix something right away, unless it’s CS related. Then I wouldn’t doubt they would even shutdown the server for a week/month to fix the CS.

8 Likes

We also need

4 Likes

We have only been a month behind ktos, but now longer and longer update cycle, so that players numb

1 Like

To me, the events are really one of the biggest cons of TOS.
The fact they re-use them once in a while isn’t an issue, but the events aren’t even fun to start with.
It’s always about daily log-in and check-in or killing things. The Halloween PvP event and the platform event were great because they tried to do something different. The issue is that they didn’t think enough about all the problems related to them (and I don’t get why the platforms had to be transparent actually) so it kind of failed, but if they bring them back in a better version, they could be a great addition.

In general TOS doesn’t have an “event” feeling anyway. When there are new events, they aren’t really interesting or even worth it. You mostly get attribute points, useless potions, stamina pills, silver/golden anvils, and such.
The EXP rewards are good, but not everybody is in a leveling rush or even needs to level. I don’t like how their events usually seem to target only a specific part of the population, rather than offer something rewarding for everybody.
TOS could make events related to the story/lore, events related to instances (higher drop rates, new things dropping for some time or whatever), events related to finding/chasing items/NPC/whatever, fighting together stronger mobs/bosses, etc., and give actual rewards that make you want to do it rather than always the same ones (mostly useless ones too).
I played an old browser game I quit long ago, it was interesting to see they still had fun events, and 1/3 of them were rewarding the whole server rather than only individually.

Even if you feel bored doing Saalus daily, an interesting event every month that lasts for 2-3 weeks would break your boring routine and make you enjoy the game.
I also think that if you have interesting events to do regularly, you won’t be as impatient about the updates.

9 Likes

According to the stats SEA now has less active players than NA. How times changed. :haha:

Why a lot of people in this community have a fetish of making posts of server population and calculating the amount of active players everytime? It is not the first time i see this here and i don’t see it in other games (i only see this kind of posts in the “end of the year statistics”)

It is just a game. Just play it if you like because i’m pretty sure the staff don’t need external people showing statistics of their own game that they already know.

3 Likes

I think you misunderstood me here buddy.
It currently takes 3 months for kToS content to arrive at the iToS servers. There’s no amount of bug fixing nor translation processes that justify that long.

That’s what I mean by prioritizing updates on iToS. I’m not asking for the updates to come here before being implemented on kToS. I’m asking for them to come sooner. A LOT sooner.

Major new content takes about 2 weeks to be implemented on kToS, from kTest. Minor new content takes about 2 days.
iToS should get the same content after another 2 weeks from it’s arrival on kToS, at the very least.

I mean… come on, how hard is it to hire some people to translate from KR to EN?

1 Like

This is where you’re wrong. People need to stop making random assumptions and saying it as fact.

We are typically not 3 months behind, but 1-2 months at most. Beyond that, you have no idea of the development process, project plan, or logistics for merging over code from the KR branch to international. I’m not saying I do either, but everyone here sure likes to act like it’s so simple and easy to coordinate content updates and new builds for multiple regions at once.

Yes, keep in mind that they are not managing only international, but other regions as well like JP, as they receive the same builds we do on top of their own custom changes. Regardless of the KR changes, when new builds are created for the client and server, both need to undergo QA process for every new feature and for stability. People like to complain about bugs, and yet they are asking IMC to rush this process. Translation is also not the bottleneck; the only time this was the case was Rank 9 due to the huge amount of content and the fact they desired to give it to us in an extremely short time frame from kToS. The higher the frequency of content updates that need to get ported, the greater the amount of work of testing for so many different builds; that, among other reasons, is why we receive bundles of updates at once. It’s not even just QA, but putting together the build itself while maintaining each region’s custom content and version integrity.

Beyond all this, we are still receiving updates faster than any other KR game I’ve ever seen, as those international versions are typically many months, if not years behind the KR version. Apparently that’s still not enough. Japan and other regions do not complain about the lack of updates like people do here. Things are far from perfect, but people need to stop acting like it’s a doomsday scenario because we had to wait a little bit of time for some feature.

People who don’t work in software development and project planning should stop acting like they can armchair explain how things “should be.” Yes, I do both for a living. Unless you do too, I doubt you have very much knowledge on how these things actually work.

8 Likes

It’s clearly not enough, otherwise the game wouldn’t have population issues. But it’s not just the frequency of updates. It’s the content of the updates too. Plus many other things.

Japan and other regions do not complain about the lack of updates like people do here.

We have higher standards here and larger choice in games. Japan & co were always like this. They just stick with whatever their local providers give them. Language barrier, culture, etc, who knows exactly why but they rarely go look for choices and alternatives outside of their safe zone.

1 Like

3.6k active players per the top 3 servers isnt that bad, i actually see the server merge helping now. not even trolling

Just balance pvp (max item upgrading by +15). Create free full time pvping arena. Half problem resolved there.
Make world boss rewards for everyone who hit, and get the guilds more useful.
Done, game fixed.

3 Likes

just close this topic - iam tired of reading doom and death for ToS.
still cant get a clue why it is important to some players how many players are playing, i mean its nice to know but yeah thats all about it.
Then the we loose people the game is dieing starts again and again, why is it so important to tell other people that a game is dying?
I read multiple post about that now and most of the ppl even dont play (anymore?) but still sticking in this forum telling other ppl that the game dies -.-.
If u are not enjoing the game any more - leave and let the ones that still do be.

and before there is someon gonna argue with : it is important to show this to the community - it is not. Its just annoying. it wont change anything and make things more frustrating for those reading that bullshit.
Its kind of feeling sick but not beeing sick - u feel the symptoms bu arent ill.

3 Likes

Suggesting censorship only means you can’t handle the inconvenient truth

I think if people create this thread over and over again it is not a coincidence, that might be a reason for people feel this way. I am not saying it is dieing or not, just there is something that is bothering people, maybe more than one thing. Maybe it is the dungeons not full or even the market items’ price and they see a correlation between it and number of players. Or maybe it isn’t not necessarily the sensation inside of the game with number of players , but feel sad not many real world friends not playing the same game . Etc

2 Likes

I actually didn’t see anything faulty with the platform event. D: I found it to be fun to do, good rewards (not too much) not exploitable. Well done, well working. well rewarding fun event to me.
I really liked halloween event it is one my favourite events, if only they would get the exploits under control it would be perfect imo. I do have to say that I did rq a few times due to desyncers/hackers(afaik there were both). Also no more solmiki reward obviously… :sweat_smile:

Events can be a problem so I do wish they did more of these fun events. They usually motivate me to play and while I actually get to play I tend to play more than just yhe event.
I also actually really liked that one event dungeon with couple of bosses and decent exp gain. It was fun to do with good rewards.
I do agree that most events are boring/uninteresting/not-worthdoing. I wish that changes.

3 Likes

I liked it too.
The “issue” was that if you had some effects turned off or where in low mode (I don’t remember which one), you couldn’t see the platform. Since TOS isn’t that stable, a lot of people play like that, so you regularly had people say “It’s not working !” XD
I loved the Halloween one too. Even if I did get farmed and sometimes there were shady users and it bothered me. But the idea and the way it was made, was pretty fun. I feel it could be even more fun with a bigger map too ? Might make it a bit more “strategic”.

The one with Netherbovine as a final boss ? It was fine, but I would have liked it to have more gimmicks so even the NPC Masters would actually be useful.
I wish it didn’t have bugs too >.< Netherbovine’s blindness could last forever, and sometimes the werewolf ditched us… XD
Talking about that and NPC, I feel like it could be fun to have the NPC Masters be “possessed” or something all evil, and you have to fight them. But they’d be actually challenging and not their weak version of the event we had.

Those events were pretty different and it made them fun ;w; It gave me hope~

1 Like