Tree of Savior Forum

(Personal Experience) About the viability of Swordsman classes late game in PvE and/or PvP

So you don’t PvP at all? How do you do when you PvP?

If it’s PvE only why did you put swordsman c2?

Pain barrier lv10 is good for channeling skill. I can finish my rotation without interruption.

Welcome to pain of not taking Corsair c3 and using a pistol. Cuz Long Stride works with Pistol and you can do some “softening up” from range while holding multiple targets chained for 19 seconds.

But still, don’t expect to do dmg in PvP. All you can is hook em for your teammates to do the actual dmg. And maybe soft em up a little with pistol. Maybe it will change if Murmillo gets non-knockdown attrib on it’s jump, but who knows?

Also, some stats for u: my lunge -> lvl10 hexen dropper does 9-10k dmg per tick in abbey, and 13k per tick to lvl 200 dungeon boss. But I have relatively high attributes, good gear and I don’t use Brandish on medium size monsters. There’s Maga Spear for this task. I also ever invested only ~15 points into dex, ~60 into con and all the rest went to str, while equipment and gems are all crit rate. My sissels proc frequently. I’m currently level 279. What i’m trying to say is that you CAN do dmg, but ofc you have to work much harder then other classes to get to that numbers. What did you expect from being a swordie anyway? Tons of dmg? Please.

Tho I do agree swordie dmg needs a buff. Cuz actually having to gap close to do the dmg and having small dmg at the same time is quite absurd PvP-wise.

1 Like

Pistol Shot damage is poor. Please. Corsair3’s damage is poor, compared to taking Doppel/Dragoon or even Shinobi. It’s very niche. All you have is pistol shot that does poor damage + higher levels in Hexen. And longer Hook. Great.

I don’t expect TONS OF DAMAGE, but doing poor single target damage comparatively to stuff like ele3-wl (whose expertise is AOE) is just bad. So, you Hexen Dropper and deal like, what? 80k x2 small melee AOE damage? Then wait for a cooldown of 25-30s right? Great job. Speccing into DPS (otherwise I’d be a full CON Pel3-Squire), you’d expect 70% efficiency of other DPS classes and above at least. In most other games, Melee DPS most of the time are the classes that actually tops the DPS charts because the price you pay for having to get up close is the reward of dealing high damage, high risk high reward. I’d rather you take away my ‘3x HP’ that basically means nothing much late game and give me good DPS. And the 70% I mentioned is if the target is a dummy target, standing still and not attacking you. If you factor in knockbacks, time wasted from dodging attacks/aoe, you’d probably will cut at least another 25% from that 70%. My Ele3-WL friend does 600k - 900k and above per full rotation while maintaining RANGE and MOBILITY (drop a Frost Cloud and run around watch stuff just die). Let’s not even talk about R3F3s, shall we?

My post above is 28days old (at the time I’m writing this), I have been 280 for quite some time now, here’s an update for you guys:

1. I cannot get any WB cubes, by a far margin, even if there were only 20 people (I’m not even including peak hours where there are 50-80 people), I still can’t get it, I have upped most of my attributes to 50%. This is in Telsiai. My DPS is enough to hold aggro of the boss (boss aims me) but not enough to get a cube.

2. I got rejected from PvP guild due to reason of having a non-viable GvG/PvP build. Yes, Corsairs are not viable atm in PvP despite the nonsense people say about it being PvP, etc.

3. I have been trying ET with a fixed party (they only accepted me cause one of my friends are inside, otherwise they wouldn’t even want a DPS Swordie), basically I’m just only useful for taunting. And by taunting I meant taunting ONLY. Try and get hit, you will drop dead (with 30k HP) within 5-7 hits from mobs. Just to give you a good picture, I’m dealing with 20-30 mobs most of the time, if 20% of them gets one hit on me, I’m dead. By taking up a slot, I’m gimping my team’s DPS because trying to DPS from melee range is basically suicide, I have to turn off my Provocation and let my Ele3 take up the aggro before I can start DPSing (for Level 1 of ET, it’s a DPS check). As for levels 2-5, there’s no need for me to DPS anything. Level 5 boss will just rekt you if you go near. Melee just doesn’t work well in ET. We are better replaced by Cryos that can just suck all mobs in (hence increasing DPS indirectly by clumping mobs together) AND prevent damage by CCing them non stop. There are teams that are clearing levels 1-5 easily without a swordie. You’re only good (and worth that slot) if you’re full CON, preferably Pel3 as well. If you have no Pel circles at all, as a swordie, you can just sit outside, nobody’s gonna want you.

4. PvP-wise, we’re not much good, comparing to Cata3 or other DPS classes. The burst is ok, but we don’t have the gap closers required to do that. Without hook at melee range, trying to hit somebody with melee skills is like trying to hit a ninja.

Side note: I rerolled to CryoKino, am now lvl 210+. I can beat SWORDIES that’s 50+ levels ahead of me and still have full hp after winning. Whoopeedoo.

Conclusion: Unless you are not interested in PvP or end game content, and is fine with dealing mediocre damage and having to get into melee range to do it and also you’re just playing because you like the concept of Swordsman, go ahead. Otherwise, you’ll probably find yourself wasted 100-200 hours of lvling just to hit 280 and find out you’re basically pretty much not preferable (in other words, near-useless) for end game content (if you’re playing DPS oriented builds). I rerolled another character 2 days after hitting 280 while still trying ET with my Dragoon, I think that pretty much says a lot about it.

1 Like

Mine is a PvP build. A ranged control type for GvG. I don’t expect to go in much. I didn’t go Corsair3 for the sake of dmg, because i’m not expected to do dmg. I went Corsair3 for hook duration, jump and ranged attack I can use while holding hook.

Yours is a build that can’t jump with hook without switching and can’t attack anything AT ALL while holding it, unless it comes right at ur face. You should have more dmg then me with dragoon, sure, but alas, you can’t place those attacks cuz they are melee.

What a pity.

And hey, I’m not saying that swordsmen rock. It’s true they have issues, and big ones.

You can hook 3 people, yeah, that’s what I said too to the PvP guilds, but then you are compared to Cryomancers and Psychokinos that can disable 10-20 people at a go, your 3-man hook with 25s cooldown is kinda meh. You don’t have a plus point above them, guild slots are limited, why would they want to waste it on a job that can basically only hook and do nothing else? Cryos can freeze multiple people & use Ice wall to create space, Kinos can CC through bloodletting, all this while dealing MORE damage that you can do and being ranged. Aaand you can hook 3 people (if you can land it accurately 100% consistently on targets that matter, not the frontliners, in the first place, at less than 5fps), if you miss, then basically you’re useless for 25s.

If you wanna say your job is just to hook and stay, I can do that too. I can just hook ppl and that’s it, maybe 5s lesser than you. I can do the exact same thing you can do, since you said you’re not expected to do damage. But if you can stand there for 19s not moving without dying in GvG I’d recommend you actually try it out first. Healers are prioritizing squishy DPS classes like wiz and archers for Safety zone, they won’t waste any on you. Unless you went full CON, your HP isn’t gonna last you long, DPS classes have sick damage. Reason it’s harder to die is because of mobility, many spells have to be aimed. But if you’re not moving, you’re just a sitting duck. And if you DID went full con, that would mean your damage would be crap, and this points us back to why would people take a 3-man disabler over a 10-20 man disabler… You’re using a pistol, and not a shield, and that doesn’t add to your survivability at all, you can’t even hold C and block.

Your plus point that you emphasise on is that you can attack with pistol while hooking. But if you’re dealing low damage while hooking, that isn’t much of a plus point at all… If you want to kill people you’d need burst damage, not some damage that the PD can just use healing factor to regen back. Not to mention, hook is at a ranged, you can’t even bring those 3 guys you hooked to your team, Cata3 at least can Impale one of them and bring them back to your side for the ultimate rekt. You would have to get your team into the enemies’ danger zone to actually do damage to the guys you hooked.

I can also jump when I hook, weapon switching is the LEAST of my problems (comparing to all the other problems), it’s only a technical difficulty that one has to get used to, the main problem is when you jump, they are knocked back, which gets them out of melee range. Even in your case it would still gimp your damage, your 80k hexen won’t able to touch them. Your pistol would probably give them a few scratches, ouch.

Until they fix this, I’m only seeing perhaps some potential in 5v5 Team Battle League, seeing hooking 3 people would render 3/5 people disabled, letting the other 4 members of your team to rekt the remaining 2 in the 15-19s that they have. As for GvG, it’s a no-no as for now.

Hook also has much more range then psycho skills and cryo skills are countered by PD easily (not the tree ofc, but it’s also just one skill, which doesnt exactly make you unable to do things). With GvG being 15x15 in one party, you only need 2 PDs for the whole guild to be immune to that kind of control 100% time. Hook works the same way as skillshots in mobas with one exception - the farther the target, the easier it is to land, because it’s AoE is actually a cone - you can see it with Oracle in a party. Hook also works through bloodletting and you can hold two hooks at a time if cooldown is reset by a chronomancer. Finally, corsair3 may avoid skills like Frost Cloud being placed under him while he holds hook by jumping away. Jump is only used for gapclosing in duels, it’s more of an escape tool. Good luck switching weapons in PvP btw.

Are you gonna cry some more, I wonder?

azwraith was just trying to bring his point across, can’t you discuss yours without throwing this at someone? Way to sound like a douchebag.

Just let him get shown up. I’m honestly more worried about how many points Azwraith is going to bring to gut him. There’s just so much…wrong with his post.

I know already, anyone worth listening to will know that you’d be lucky to be able to stand still for 5 seconds during group PVP, let alone 19 secs, so corsair c1’s 9 sec hook and c3’s 19 sec hook are no different anyway.

But let that guy find out the hard way, let him get his corsair c3 :wink:

can’t you discuss yours without throwing this at someone?

why, it takes away all the fun :wink:

Try to get at least 30% attribute on all your damage skills(is a bit expansive, but not extreme hard to archieve). Level up a green gem to level 6~7 and put on your brandish. Serpentine is the strongest dragoon skill at the moment (due to dmg scale), so put 1 points on other skills and level serpentine first.

Remember that those maps are really hard (if you dont have final gear). Consider yourself a winner for been able to level up as a swordsman there.

Am already lvl 280 with mostly 50% on attributes. Still dealing crap damage, comparatively. Haha. I’ve stopped gearing/upgrading attributes already, focusing on my CryoKino now.

It’s ok, I’ll stop from feeding the troll already, just let him get his Cor3, realise what piece of useless class he is when he reaches 280, then proceed to reroll and quit, like 90% of the DPS swordies out there anyway. Lvl 279, no GvG experience, great credibility, probably still busy grinding and farming some silver for his end game gear.

Compared to a lvl 280 who’s been doing late game content for some time. I’ve already shown quite some legit points from experience, none of it is theorycrafting, yet you can tell from what he’s talking, he’s just putting things in his head and just chugging em out like most of the people here on the forums (that’s how I got convinced to even make a Hop2-Cor2 in the first place hahah).

Simple example is: Hook has much more range than Psycho skills. He doesn’t know Psycho’s Gravity Pole range is approx 70-80% of hook range, as well as swap being SAME RANGE as hook. Swapping people into Raise is a common strategy. Also jumping away from Frost Cloud? Great job, so you managed to jump away from Frost Cloud, what’s stopping you from getting another 2-3 Frost Clouds on you in the next, say, 17 seconds? LOL.

Great job on the Pistol Shot damage, LEL. Not gonna reply him anymore, I believe enough has been said and his points are just not up to standard. Rollin’ out.

How much levels do you put on finestra?

10/10
/20charsssssssssssssss

And you crit the 20-25% of the hits?

Exactly.
So many “noob experts” giving out advice on these forums these days and committing unsuspecting new players to a path of eventual reroll or ragequit.
Meanwhile for us who know enough about the game, we can easily tell who knows what he’s talking about and who is full of BS. I don’t bother trying to correct or warn these “noob experts” anymore, they’re usually stubborn as hell and won’t change their way of thinking no matter what you say to them, until they experience it themselves. Let them screw up their builds and reroll, or better yet, ragequit so they don’t do more harm.

For new players on the forums, if you want good advice, stay inside Cathexis’s thread. He gives out good advice, at least you won’t go too wrong by following what he says.

Yeah, more or less. As mentioned by Cathexis above Finestra alone isn’t enough. Needs lvl 10 gems, some more dex, gears, etc to get a better crit rate.

Well despite the detailed build thread that’s available, I wouldn’t recommend anyone going anything other than a full con tank build (for ET) or Cata3 Dragoon (for PvP) if they want to play Swordie atm. The other DPS builds just doesn’t seem to match up until IMC does something. Maybe Doppel would fare better in the DPS department (PvE) wise, but in reality we’d prefer not even get hit at all for Deeds late game, it just hurts. Lol.