Tree of Savior Forum

Nothing can beat the nostalgia of Ragnarok Online

Not even that.
Ranger Cast No Limits /Genetic/Chaser Use Crazyweed ==>Guild 1-hit.

Biggest difference to me with RO vs TOS is that RO never felt like a job.

I was just logging in to creep closer to 99 and to hunt monsters. Maybe I’d do a super hard quest if I felt like it or went into a dungeon with a friend.

Alts meant something else in RO.
You’d make a Wizard to AoE farm with Gust.
You’d make a Sin to farm high physical/fast mobs since you evaded all of that.
You’d make a Blacksmith to hunt MvPs.
Another blacksmith to enhance weapons.
You’d make a Knight for scouting MvPs.
You’d make a Priest to help friends level and to hunt demons.
You’d make a cleric to warp people into random dangerous places and laugh as they show up dead near you and complain.

In TOS?
You make Pyro’s to farm daily dungeons faster.
You make MikoDiev’s to farm daily dungeons faster.
You make a necromancer to AFK farm.
You don’t make a sword because it needs 500 million silver to be viable.
You don’t make an archer because it needs 500 million silver to be viable.
You make a Chrono so you can go into ET without needing to invest anything into your gear or attributes.

Oh and in RO at least if I made a very good weapon I could trade it to my alts. Cards and all. One Vitata Clip meant I could make any wizard alt I wanted without needing a million pots.

In TOS once you make good gear it’s locked to one character. Forever.

In any case RO isn’t perfect though. It gets boring too and if I had to choose I’d choose TOS over RO.

I don’t even know why this game has you make a “Team” name. It hardly feels like your team at all.

Physical RK is fun when you do that Crush critical strike thing with counter attack.
I love those 999 999 criticals, if done right.

Or Belum Katz aspd pew pew pew type of thing. just lovely

however, imho, in the team setting without overupgraded gears, status spreading RK is better for woe.

My mistake then, it’s been a long time since I played RO.[quote=“tonyostark, post:89, topic:352590”]
Are we still talking about official servers here? TG doesn’t increase DB which is pretty much what majority of builds are. So no, it’s not a must have for RK’s. Not for the majority, at least.
[/quote]

Well, I played on bRO and it dramatically increased the DB damage. Dunno if was because it was on late patches.

I didn’t know that. As I said, at least on bRO this nerfs never happened (considering the time I played)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

That means you’ve never played a serious competitive RO with 2 WoE a week, where you had to spent all days between this WoE to prepare for that WoE. And all that nights brewing potions without using clickers, 'cause they were forbidden, obviously. RO was a freaking job for a serious guild member, let alone guild master.

4 Likes

I think he meant ToS is all about chores compared to RO. Like you said, RO feels repetitive because of preparations for WoE. But for ToS, the preparations are your ONLY end game. There’s nothing to prepare for. It’s all about making more alts to farm more dungeons in order to obtain gear and money for nothing since there’s not really any end-game here.

1 Like

You’re right. I didn’t do that part. I played years before WoE was introduced.

RO had a lot of changes in the years. WoE was just one of them in the late, late lifespan of the game but it was probably one of the most loved ones.

That being said what’s to stop TOS from having a similar update in the future? I was simply comparing the early RO with early TOS. The thing was though, that over 15 years is it now? When RO came out it didn’t have any of the modern mechanics people expect in an MMO.

It was just… load the game up and go. I played it in the dark ages of the internet when there was no online sites yet to help you. Sorry, should’ve made it clearer. I was of course 15 years younger and a teenager and games felt a lot different than they do today, but I did follow up in the typical fashion of going from official to a private place. Even hosted my own one for friends.

tl;dr - I didn’t do WoE and played before rebirth / boss cards

1 Like

Yes. Lack of decent WoE and PvP - the main problem of ToS IMHO.
The reason RO lived for so long - WoE and PvP. They were exciting and challenging. If you wanted to dominate in WoE and PvP, you had to grind a lot. And train a lot.

So I really think that improving PvP/WoE system in ToS can make game many times better. And yeah, Transcendence system is bad :frowning:

classic RO was rough wayy back then so much so that I sold my lvl 99 assassin character for 2k USD lol. Went to private servers and never looked back. In so many ways, there’s a lot more chores in RO but it comes in different forms other than dungeon rushes.

Yeah I agree WoE needs to happen in this game with decent FPS only then I would probably take it seriously and actually make a PvP char.

RO survived even with the horrible grind because it pretty much existed in a vacuum. There were not much competition in the market especially the asian market since the US had WoW.

I’m not a PvP player in most of the recent MMOs I’ve played but I think it’s easier to start out with a good PvM content since class (and even item) balancing in PvP is almost impossible.

At the beginning, the 99 players were botters or ultra no lifers. You had to spend an entire day to get, lets say, 5% of exp

Too bad, renewal came a little too late. It’s easier to level now.

What I liked and missed in RO compare to TOS

• Dynamic Elemental & Race system - The reason to grind multiple armors and weapons for different purposes.
  • Equipment Modifiers (Change Elements of Physical Attack, Trigger Skills when attacking or attacked)
  • Fast Pace Battle System.
  • MVP with strong characteristic and different strategy of combating them.
  • BGM - More characteristic of each bgm representing the map and different culture. Payon? Gonryun? Amatsu? Prontera?
  • Environment and Ambiance - More Brightness and Warming compare to ToS dark-ish.
  • 12 Peoples Party Grinding - Separate into different area patrol parties but share EXP on map-wide.
  • Exciting GvG offense/defend mechanism

But time changed, we don’t have 12h to play the game daily and I think the way TOS do its leveling is fine. and there are too many games to choose and things to do in real life so big party hardly realize in nowadays mmorpg.

If we had something like this, the game would be thousand times better IMO

If you mean TGk(TaoGunka) than yes it still boosts DB damage.
I think he just mistook it as TGl(TurtleGeneral).

Yeah, way back then level capping a character was something to be proud about, now its ‘meh’ like any other RPG.

This desu.
I miss those big ragtag random pub parties. Specially, the times when MVP dispels Monk SteelBody tanker then Earthquakes changes target and kills the lifeline Priests of the tankers making the whole party panic like ants, such youth… those were good days.

Tos needs GvG/PvP Content.
The Combat system von tos is fun so i guess something woe-like would be realy fun in Tos!

And then i could talk to my Guildies in Ro that we can switch to tos lol.

1 Like

I guess you didn’t play til Battlegrounds.
Battlegrounds are a variety of pvp content which followed WoE restrictions. Rewards are equipment specialized for demi human (pvp and also usable for a lot of viable pve grinding/leveling/farming spots like biolabs). All of the equipment one farms here are character-locked (unless changed now). These are pretty much BiS (at least at the time i was active). My friend actually invested in a +13 glorious spear (this was a few months ago… and he reached max level in iRO).

Nonetheless, most other equipment are alt-tradable like what you said. However, keep in mind that a lot of equipment are job-locked too, unlike in TOS, everybody can wear plate/leather/cloth (excluding the swordsman exclusive equipment).

But still, I agree with TOS having a minus point on locking good gears to one character. IMHO, this could have been all prevented IF they just allowed transcended equipment to be alt-storaged.

I guess not all experienced ‘daily quests’ in RO either. I did this most of the time because the rewards are good, and so is the exp. At level 98 going to 99, the main daily quest gives 1% which is A LOT already.

P.S.
I’ve made merchants not because i like them but because i have to abuse discount and overprice :confused:
for me this kind of comparable to making a necromancer not because i like it but only because i need to farm

2 Likes

What the F#*$k is this thread?

Its complete garbage is what it is.

3 Likes

The old pre renewal RO was something good and unique.
Todays MMOs consist mainly of bullshit inventions.

1. Lowlvl mobs dont give any exp if you are too high over them, in some games they dont even give loot. There may also be a penalty for killing mobs that are way higher than you are.

2. No unique race/size/elemental system. Though other games may have a system RO had, it is pretty much killed by 1), thus its not worth making equip for certain spots.

3. No Teleporting (flywings, creamy cards anyone?). In the worst case, you are forced to walk over many trashcan maps or fight aggro mobs that are worthless (see 1) to reach the target location. F2P RO killed that one too, dunno why that had to be changed for F2P ■■■■.

4. Frustrating spawntime system and instance entry restrictions. Any TOS player can relate to that one and it was way better in RO. Sure, RO got its instances added, but they were not part of your character lvling.

5. No good PVP. Though I personally cant relate to it cause I never once fought in WOE in RO and the battlegrounds were organized farming areas to get badges.

6. Most stuff is untradeable, with a tiered lvl requirement system, most even character bound. What equipment in RO was actually bound? Maybe the battleground accessory? This allowed you to make a generic set of carded equip for your whole account (Odin Blessing, Stone Buckler anyone?)

7. Restrictions “aimed at RMT” that do not stop RMT, but screw the players.

8. Daily quests and other important stuff only daily, making the game a chore instead of funny activity

9. (TOS specific, maybe in some other games too) A company that hates the game.

10. maybe others

Maybe some of this has been said by others in this thread earlier, I did not read it. My post is directed at the thread title only.

All in all, I guess it is mainly caused by the F2P boom in recent years. Old RO I played was monthly payment.