Tree of Savior Forum

Whatever. You suck!

I never said that you need to get rewards at the same level, but the difference is like worlds, and you cannot expect for everyone to buy the necessary tools and start on working in their free time to learn how to draw just to be able to compete.

I want people to respect that everyone is different, with different strengths and weaknesses.

Some people here are at a clear advantage. That’s all fine with me. What’s strange is that aside from this, there is little you can do for TOS to be rewarded.
You could make a great campaign in social networks to increase the influx of players and still get nothing.

You can write an in-depth guide and still get nothing.
You can hunt bots, report bugs, make detailed gameplay feedbacks, stream the game and still get nothing.

It’s very strange that only your graphic skill can earn you something.

It’s just a logic way of thought by the way, not my opinion.
I personally am neither salty, nor do I care about any fanart (I just replace them with professional artwork by Maggi every time we get new artworks).

I just wanted to provide an eligible claim people can discuss about if they want to be salty/angry about, not the fact that their entry didn’t win a single TP and/or title.

Randomly Chosen Arts

Never forget the 2016 Valentine Fan Art “Contest”

What happened on that one?

i miss the time staff puts comments on why they pick an entry Owo;;;

yeah~ it may feel that way. but this is why we have a thread on putting suggestions on how to make it fair for everyone owO

but for now, for unpopular peeps like us, let’s just try to have fun with moderately but meaningful effort entries for our friends and community to enjoy and hope that we make it to staff picks Owo/

the summer artfest that i won was supposed to be just a gag made from recycled guild banner images XD i really wasnt expecting to win at the time O___o;;

Andy, there’s something you need to know about contests and the art field. I don’t know how many years you’ve been into art, but I definitely have more years than you and even many of the artists of this game to tell you the shitty things you’ll encounter in the art field. This is not to offend nor anything, just something I want you to know for your future in case you decide to keep growing as an artist.

Art Contests, at least the formal/professional ones, are meant to choose the best artists in terms skill level. Skilled Artists compete among others to win. And the best are chosen by a group of judges, who are usually art critics or veteran artists, that qualify the entries throughout Technique, Aesthetic and Style, which are the three main foundations of art. Art Contests are aiming to veteran artists, who worked at least all their life to become skilled enough to compete against others.

In a professional way, it is not fair to allow beginners win over veterans, because to be a veteran artist you need +10 years of practice, work and investigation, while a beginner artist is estimated to have only 2-3 years in art. As a veteran being beaten by a begginer would feel like all the years of hard work were wasted. Its like having two employees, one of them works extra hours and the other is irresponsible but gets paid more than the responsible employee. This doesn’t mean you should never enter contests; it means that you need to keep working and practicing to reach a high level to compete in these kind of contests. You need to be patient and encourage yourself to improve. Art is one of the most difficult fields to be in, because it requires discipline and patience, and years of training. If it was easy and quick, there wouldn’t exist artists, because everyone would be one and nobody would stand out.

Now speaking on IMC contests. As thanked as I am with their hard job on the game development, they’re bad at holding art contests because their judgement bases on subjectiveness, in other words, they choose what they “like” instead of analyzing the content of the drawing. And worst thing is, they allow winners by votes, which professionally speaking, its incorrect. Popularity doesn’t equal Quality. Look how well done entries lost.

Andy, I want you to take this as a lesson and a reason for you to not give up on art. If you love drawing, keep doing it. If you want to be a professional or veteran, keep drawing, investigate, learn, experience. The path of the artist is very difficult but not impossible. You’ll find a lot of unfairness within the art field and bussiness (especially), you’ll encounter elitism and enemies, but that isn’t a reason to stop doing what you love. Part of being an artist is to lose and taking risks. You cannot know if something good or bad will happen; but only know that something will happen. So, keep drawing and put aside the contests and bussiness. Focus on your development, and when you’re ready to come back, do it. Losing a contest isn’t the end of your path, much less of the world. You still have a long way to go, to learn and experience. By the time you become a veteran, there will be more contests you can try out. I tell you this because I have 19 years of my life functioning as an artist (and I’m 24 years old); I basically dedicated my life to art; I’ve lost every contest and got rejected from every project until I won the last summer ToS contest. And here I am still creating art.

Contests are not everything in the life of an artist. Even if you win or lose, what will matter in the end is how you’ve improved and how you never stop drawing.

4 Likes

if that’s the case Owo i’ve been functioning as an artist for 30 years Owo

but tbh, i still don’t see myself to be superior over someone who can make art by learning in 2-3 years (e.g. my sister) for me the years of exp is more about how ones perspective develops (or obscured for some Owo) and puts meaning in their work, the skill level is more on how good they can portray it, which to be honest is easily obtainable for the willing Owo

well, as far as popularity is concerned, i think it’s a quality level to consider on how one’s art is able to connect with others other than an aesthetics that only a few would appreciate Owo i mean, if it’s not tainted with fraud owO only a fool would be happy for something like that Owo

Forgot to mention, @OoOoOoOoOoO, if you need advice on art, you can always reach out to me, though be aware I need to be objective, since that’s how an art critic should be in order to help beginners/students to improve.

This.

And as a direct response to this: Good art isn’t subjective. There are objective qualities that make art good, appealing.

Losing sucks, especially when you put several hours or days of work into it, and especially in a game like Tree or another MMO, where you lose time playing the game. But, it’s my feeling that despite all that, the talented artists should win. The GMs always seem to pick one in a more random/subjective way to give the less veteran artists a chance, and that’s fine too.

It’s not so much a time thing. I’ve been doing “art” for 30 years too, but there are long gaps and I can’t always put the time in to improve. I feel like personally, I’ve made a lot more strides in the last 2 years than I have in the 4-6 years prior. It comes in waves. Some people will pour the time in and be at a high level very quickly, others will do it when they have time over the course of many years.

Losing contests sucks, but as long as even a couple people liked what you created, it’s worth continuing to do. And maybe even if no one likes it, you should make art for you. It’s not going to win contests most of the time, but art is a very personal thing and if you yourself aren’t happy with what you create, no one else ever will be.

2 Likes

i know what you mean owO i also updated my komment about it owO since i was called for work at the time to finish my comment Owo;; ( which can also translate on the time and effort you’re pertaining to when you observe the quality of my comment is slowed down due to some restraints owO)

anyhu, the only shame one should feel in defeat is when the folly of it doesn’t improve one for the better Owo

There was many wonderful artwork and they lost to two traced entries (and one I’m still suspicious over the one winning entry). While one was pulled out from the loading folder, the other was kept up still (the pixel one). Unknown if prize revoked from both. No new winner was made to replace the missing loading screen.

Their discussion to improving future art contest since than.

It was revealed that the winning entries were randomly/not very carefully picked. Since then, Staffs made effort to select entries by making comments (not anymore now) and having player vote half of the entries.

I’m not sure if Halloween Art Contest beforehand was like this, but this particulate contest caused a lot of uproar from the community.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link!

Gosh there are a couple of artists there that I would love to see participating again.

1 Like

You feel less bad losing to a good entry than to a randomly picked, bad entry in my point of view. Due to the drama that comes each contest, many artist end up quitting contest or avoiding it.
:sad:

2 Likes

thank you for the link.
thats sad, so many wonderful artist couldnt win

but FA contest is just like music chair. better realize at first place that you may not the one who got the seat

so better join for fun and dont be too serious about fame or reward

@OoOoOoOoOoO your art really remind me old school style. thats nice too
if thats your certain style. i want to see u make another art also
hopefully you will join next contest. i will definitely join with everyone XD

1 Like

Off course, If I were to enter and put a lot of effort on a piece only to be left out because:

1. Multi votes by new accounts
  2. Tracers, art thieves, …
  3. People who rushed anything and sent it on the last 30 minutes or after 10 minutes of started the contest (and are of course clearly poor pieces)

I would feel disappointed and wouldn’t feel like putting effort at least, anyway this kind of stuff should be done for fun imo after all is in a sense free work for imc promos.

2 Likes

cant be help. a lot of artist put their life into their art but end up gain nothing back
that must be very bad feeling

(also think if staff will reward something to all artist who join the current contest like title. but my previous comment just ask staff to reduce some reward or ripped them all if possible)

1 Like

It is a contest, and the way you interpret it makes you being not humble enough.

This is not a study program, as you gain as much as your skill offers. Your art sucks? People arts are getting nominated but yours didn’t? Even though all they did is tracing? Then stop crying and try your best next time. Stop blaming people over your loss. Make moves or changes for yourself.

If you dislike the way juries nominating the contest, then stop following that contest. People have their own opinions. Also, I believe there is the favorite vote nomination as well. So, if your art even didn’t get nominated for the favorite vote, then reflect yourself.

What is wrong with your art?

PS : I’ve known an artist that sometimes she didn’t get nominated at all on some amateur art contest, although her name is kinda well known. She complained to me about the way juries scoring the contest, but after that she knew it is already done. Nothing can change it, no matter how much tracing that those nominated did. She moved on, and she improves her art better than before.

Oh, also, stop bitching about it toward people who have won. In their eyes, you’re just being jealous and salty.

1 Like

i think, aside from improving your skills, i think the artfest also a form of character building Owo/

and threads like this are the best way to do it owO

One advice. YOU NEED TO EVOLVE AND GET BETTER.

That’s what life is telling you right now my friend. This world is full of amazing talents. And if you really wanna win. You work really really hard for it.

Nothing is unfair with the contest. Those great artists, have years of experience behind them, they worked really hard for them to achieve the level of art that they currently have.

I know it is disappointing to lose. But it is more disappointing to win when you know you don’t even deserve to win.

The staff picks for me is much more of a “merciful” act. Most staff picks are those that are subpar from the true winners of the contest or entries who should’ve won but lost because they lack support from the voters. There shouldn’t be any staff picks in the first place anyways.

Again, JUST DO YOUR BEST TO GROW AND BE AMAZING!

2 Likes

I preffer to see a well done beautiful artwork at the loading screen than some weak fanboy using deviant art anime template characters for his awful entry and being sponsored by his huge guild members and friends

Tbh the winners on this month were pretty awesome, despite the fact i would have changed a couple for some other entries but, they were overall nice at least

As someone who’s always too shy to submit artwork for the contests and procrastinates too much: GIT GUD. If there are some artists who are capable, they DESERVE winning 100% of the time. Become better than them or bust!