Tree of Savior Forum

Need official announcement about translations to other languages!

I see a lot of translators’ activity recently and I’m sure lots of us would like to see IMC’s official announcement regarding other languages.
Here is the list of questions which needs clarification:

• What languages are planned for international (Steam) client?
  • Does IMC plan to support translators to that languages by adding official GitHub repository? When?
  • What happens to translations already done at unofficial spaces?
  • Is it possible to suggest additional languages and how are decisions to include suggested languages to Steam client made?
  • And my personal question: what about Russian language? There are people who want to translate. Should we start of is it waste of time?

If anyone has something to add, please do.

I’m fairly certain IMC stated they wanted EN out first for the international version before focusing on other languages, thus the reason ENG ver is emphasized everywhere and the github only supports EN atm.

That’s not to say that other languages won’t be supported in the future, but I think it’ll be easier to translate from EN -> RU for example. It’s really amazing to see international communities already starting (or even finishing) translations in other languages! :sunny:

I can go look for where they said this if you’d like.

Thanks, I remember this statement too!

I’m not talking about focusing on other translations now. I need only supported languages list and official space for contributors to move their work to. This way by the end of CBT developers can have not only ENG version, but also solid base for upcoming translations.

Translation to other languages will go even without official support, but this would be smart move to give people some certainty about what they do. IMC only need to create other language repositories and warn contributors that translation to other language is not main focus now and there won’t be a lot of IMC activity at that repositories, but when time comes all the work done will be used for good =)

I guess the main problem is that quite often lines get removed added or even changed because the game gets changed. Right now when imcGames changes the korean file they change the english file at the same time so everything gets synced. So working on translations to other languages right now might require you to do monitor these changes and apply them to your work aswell. I think something like this happended to another trnaslation project a couple of days ago. There are also some weird / wrong translations in it that could be used for the translations and could lead to incorrect lines even after the english line gets fixed.
I guess imc won’t officially support different languages before they think the english file is quite stable. Ofcourse lines still might changes in the future but not as much as right now.
Aside from that they already announced that they will rely on the community to add translation to other languages so I don’t see a reason why they wouldn’t add them.

We need an official reply from IMC Games to this thread, or we could end up spending countless hours of work for nothing.

I agree; we need some official information on the matter. The focus right now is CBT, so we’ll probably start hearing more on this after that.

Wasn’t it quite clear about? They wants users take care of translating on ANY possible language. Today we have EN option only, mainly because they want to check things before escalate worldwide. I’m pretty sure if someone wants translate to any language, even the uncommon ones, s/he will have just to ask the devs to put on Git the untranslated language files to work on. Hell, you also can make it all at your home and put your files into the game without waiting any official file set released, they had put all instructions on how to do it.

This method for localization they chose is not only innovative, but also paved the way for other developers follow this example.

I think… English, Spanish, Russian, Japanese and Bra/Portuguese are MUST HAVE. (German and French are very important too)
2015 most spoken languages in the world:
1 - Mandarin
2 - Spanish
3 - English
4 - Hindi/Urdu
5 - Arabic
6 - Portuguese
7 - Bengali
8 - Russian
9 - Japanese
10 - Punjabi

So, Chinese/English/Spanish market has the most huge potential (i don’t know how easy is publishing a mmorpg in China, is a very special country).

1 Like

That’s completely biased, pedrofc. I don’t want to seem unrespectful but my mother language is Spanish and I can speak German, Japanese, English and Italian fluently hence I do have a wide knowledge about languages.

It is true that Mandarin and Spanish are widely spread around the world but on terms of business interest German and French do take priority over Spanish. Chinese is the global ‘modafaka’ country right now and there are gazillions of them spread all around the universe (pretty much sure they have even opened shops at Mars and Venus… XD).

France and Germany are more profitable targets than Spain and all the spanish-talking countries!!

The only thing that would support priority for Spanish that French or German is that an enormously amount of RO players ( playing either on the oficial servers or pirate ones… ) do have Spanish as their mother language.

We would like to focus just on the English version at this point.
As some of you mentioned, we believe English should be completed first before it goes on to other languages to make things easier. We have not yet decided on things for languages other than English so we’ll update you on that when we do.

Our goal is to have the client run in different languages even without any official support, as long as you have the translation files. Of course, this may also be subject to change during the development process for reasons yet unknown.
And as for territories where we already have local publishers, the client may not support the language even if you have the translation files.

4 Likes

hello, Mephilin translation Brazil please savior of tree has a great popularity in Brazil, without any doubt is a translation mSQL the BR Brazil will be one of the largest public tree of savior !!