Tree of Savior Forum

My take on World Boss Update and Balance

Hello TopKek here,

Some of you may already know of what a World Boss is and how it functions in this game, but just to clarify: it’s a massive monster that spawns at a set period that counts down once it is defeated and rewards a cube for the selected few top DPS. But here’s the problem, not many do it, a highly funding character or party can just sweep it without having a fighting chance or the rewards may just not be rewarding enough. So here’s my take on how to fix some of those issues.

• Let’s first start with spawn and respawn. Make it so that the World Boss will have to be summoned in some way for it to spawn. Let’s take Dullahan for example. You kill a certain amount of enemies to free the evil cores to charge up a sealing stone to release him. Not saying it should be all like that, just an example. Now once the summoning is prep’d, a Region-wide announcement
    via a special scrolling message similar to that of a Megaphone will appear in the Channel the Boss resides in stating an evil presence is felt wafting through the area and will count down to when the Boss appears to prepare for the fight. Once the Boss is defeated it will not be able to be summoned until the next Server Reset, however if the Boss isn’t killed within 5 hours of when it spawned, it will vanish and the summoning cycle will need to be repeated to spawn him again.

• To receive rewards. Changing the damage formula to dealing at least 1% of the Total Max HP of the Boss to secure a reward. If you are in a Party at the time you fought AND defeated the Boss, the requirement will be lessened. For Example: 2 Players -> 0,75% required. 3 Players -> 0,50% required. 4 Players 0,25% required and 5 Players 0,15% required. Each member will have to deal their respect amount of damage to contribute for a reward even if you are in a party by the values shown above.

• World Boss Encounter. Once the Boss has been spawned, it will create a large highlighted area around the room or section he spawned in. That area will not move and be stationary to where he originally spawned. Upon entering the field, you will then engage the fight along with your party if you are in one. If however you or any member of the party leaves the area, they will have their contribution resetted and will have to start over upon re-entering the field. IF the Boss leaves, he will then reset back to the center of the highlighted field and the encounter will start over; so that Players cannot abuse safe spots or glitch the Boss and kill it; fair game to all.

• AI. (Credits goto Nirimetus on the matter) Make World Bosses smarter and react to the situation they are in. By the beginning of the fight they will just do their normal attacks and smack you around some. But once their HP starts chipping away, they will see you as a threat and become more aggressive. Start dishing out skills, debuffs or even death sentences. As the Boss gets lower and lower, its attack would deal more damage or change attack patterns. No one wants to fight an oversized sandbag.

• High-End Players balance. If a Player is higher than the Boss’ level, then they will be scaled down to their respected level and stats of a Player of that level. Example: Boss is lv40, you are lv160. You will then have your Stat points temporarily reduced of that to a lv 40. Skill points, Rank and attributes will not be affected however. Gear will also be changed by a percentage of how far away you are from the Boss’ level. If the Player is higher than 10 levels, their Total Gear Damage will be reduced by 10%, by 20 levels by 20%… up to a maximum of 50 levels of 50%. If the Player exceeds the maximum of 50 levels, they will not be affected further and will be only affected by a 50% damage reduction, but they will still be lowered to the level of the Boss.

• Statistics. (Credits goto Talullah) Have a small but visible UI on the corner of the screen appear when encountering a World Boss. This UI will list either a % meter for every Player or list every Player attacking the World Boss in Red and Green text to signify if they have reached the required damage value. Red being they have not yet reached the value required and Green stating they have indeed reached or passed the requirement. Also, at the end of the battle, a window will appear showing the statistics to the entire battle: Damage dealt per minute, most damage mitigated by a Player or Party, most healing done by a Player or Party, most contribution affiliates by buffs from Player(s) or Parties. In one tab it will contain all that and the second tab would be your personal statistics showing how much % you dealt to the boss along with how much damage each skill did; how much healing you contributed; what buffs or debuffs were applied the most to tell you next time on how to improve on skill rotation.

• Rewards. (Credits to Queue for Silver Lottery chest, Gem Abrasives and Unique Accessories) Upon dealing the required damage value and the boss defeated. Each Player will receive the respected Boss Cube but with their rewards a bit reworked. World Boss cubes will not be able to be re-rolled, however will give a multitude of items. You will receive an Extravagant Equipment Box, a Booster Pack, a Silver Lottery Chest and a Luxury Pouch. The Extravagant Equipment Box will contain One of the exclusive Equipment, Weapon or Accessory that the Boss has in its Loot Table. The Booster Pack will give a random Rank level(Stars)of the Boss’ Card up to a maximum of level 5. The Silver Lottery Chest will contain a random set of cash from 10,000 to 100,000. The Luxury Pouch will either contain a Gem Abrasive or a random Unique Vanity Accessory themed to whichever World Boss it was acquired from. The Booster Pack and Equipment Boxes will be able to be re-rolled additionally if you are a Token user, just like a regular cube would be.

• Reworked debuff for defeating World Boss. Once the Players defeat a World Boss, they will have an icon displaying over their characters’ heads. Something like a default enemy icon with a crown maybe. To signify that they have recently defeated a World Boss. The Debuff or Buff(Whichever you want to see it as, since it’s a crown) will last up to 2 hours. In this period, the Players cannot receive additional rewards from defeating another World Boss, however, they may aid other Players to defeat their World Boss to get their daily rewards. For every Player you help when joining and defeating a World Boss within their Party, it will stack up to a maximum of 4 times, if the Party was full i.e 5 Players including yourself, when the Boss was defeated, you get max stacks immediately and the Debuff is then removed. So what does that mean? Kill a Boss, help others kill theirs and you get freed from the debuff and get to go on and kill another World Boss, then the cycle continues. Once the debuff has either been liberated or the timer of 2 hours has been met. The number of stacks you had when it occurred will then transform the debuff into a positive 2 hour buff of the stacks you had: one stack, 1 movement speed, two stacks, 2 movement speed, etc. This buff will help you on reaching the next World boss you may want to take down or just use it for the remainder of the day. If you kill another World Boss, the speed buff is then replaced again by the debuff and repeated process will ensue.

• Awareness. (Credits goto Nirimetus again way to go!) NPCs within the Region the World Boss is being spawned will begin to have speech balloons appear above their heads once you approach them. Telling the Player(s) they have a strange feeling that something bad is going to happen. The balloons or animations they had could change depending on which NPC they are. Like a Guard would become frantic and stand in battle-stance, ready to fight. A child could be trembling or be overall scared. Master NPCs would tell you to be ready for a close encounter.

And that is my suggested changes for World Boss Encounters. Thank you for taking the time in reading my wall of text, it took me a while to write it.
Please tell me what you think and don’t hold back. I am open to all criticism.

8 Likes

We where discussing about this on another thread, I gave my 2 cents on the matter too, you can compare our suggestions and can make 1 from 2 with better balance for fun and reward.

Also this I am against, it would lead to lots of abuse and boss monopoly again.

Leave only the debuff part, would remove helping others? Fine it can be like that, but keep the player under the level range of the boss, or it would be too fast killing (if I got this part wrong I’m sorry, you can disregard this part).

I’ll edit my post and update it along with your comment!

So let’s say I killed the boss and I receive the crown debuff.
But you didn’t kill a boss yet and I help you.
Once the boss is defeated, I get one stack out of 4 needed to liberate the debuff, HOWEVER, I will not receive any rewards. Only Players without the crown buff within the same party will. Then once you stack all 4, the crown debuff will then become a speed buff by how many stacks you had when the Crown passed 2 hours timer or if you successfully got rid of it by having 4 out of 4. Only after I receive the speed buff I will be able to get rewards for the next World Boss. Effectively you need to either participate in 4 World Bosses or luckily get a Full Party to release the buff.

Ah I got that last part, but the player need to have his/her stats lowered same way, or it would be overkill.

Look at the 5th Bullet. I mentioned something about the levels and Gear balance. " If a Player is higher than the Boss’ level, then they will be scaled down to their respected level and stats of a Player of that level. - Gear will also be changed by a percentage of how far away you are from the Boss’ level. If the Player is higher than 10 levels, their Total Gear Damage will be reduced by 10%, by 20 levels by 20%… up to a maximum of 50 levels of 50%."

So it means that if a Player is level 160, they get their Stat points reduced to that of the Boss’ level to similarly match him. Then Gear is also reduced by the % listed by level difference for EACH gear. Example you’re wearing a Max Petamion (I know MP is 170 and the example is 160, but bare with me)
it’s 14 all stats, the Player is higher than the maximum amount so 50%, it becomes 7 all stats. Same would happen to a weapon, transcendence nullified then the base stats reduced by 50%: 250 ~ 422 -> 125 ~ 211.
Or just plain Total Damage reduced by 50%. Whichever is easier to accomplish.

Unless you want it to go higher than 50%?

I did read that, but…

This is what got me thinking that way.

Ohhh, I wrote max stats. I meant max stacks. Haha I’ll edit it.

1 Like

Other than those small mistakes. How did you like my suggestions for the rework of the World Bosses? Do you think it would work out or too complicated for it to be implemented?

Need twenty characters to bump.

I enjoyed reading these insights even though they a bit too long. :smiley:
But i dont agree with most of them.
Regarding the world boss spawn mechanics, tos already have gimmick boss like the dullahan and kubas , field bosses like the canceril and abomination and world bosses like the cerberus, ella and the demon lords. Players have a lot of option which boss they want to participate with. Making them all a gimmick boss like-ish would be too redundant and too exhausting.
The 8 hour debuff is good, no need to change.
The loot drop, on the other hard needs a major change cause players are most likely not to participate in killing demon lords cause all they always gets is talt. I like the items that you suggested.
About the AI, I have experienced killing demons lords and they really get aggressive and diffucult to handle when their hp gets low, except marnox who just stands and makes a few sudden dash when it get hit heavily. I love a demon lord giving death sentence, but then, rexipher drains sp which is one of the reason why players don’t participate in killing him.
<3<3<3

I could see the summoning part getting too exhausting after a few days, but it could be different depending on what boss spawns in the location.

Could be like kill x monsters / Activate devices in the correct order or just find them. / Answer some mystery questions from an NPC that has since been haunted. Random and fun stuff like that, as so many quests and story already insides in the game, I think the devs will have fun making them and maybe even more for us to compete in.

And yeah, sorry if it was too long. I like to speak my mind and give it my all when I write things. But thank you for taking the time and effort for reading it thoroughly and replying!

Maybe even have World Boss use a sort of " Reflect " that neutralizes our skills or attacks and sends them back at us. If someone used Joint Penalty for example and he could reflect it then it would chain the Party. That would make the fight more interesting. Or even if he used a Demonification where a random player gets debuffed and turned into a targettable enemy and could even die if we mistake him for a threat.

Reflect is one of the worst simulated difficulty mechanics ever. If they ever put in such a thing it can’t be 100% damage reflect or else people will kill themselves constantly unless implemented in a way giving enough reaction time to stop doing DPS.

1 Like

I’m not sure this part is a so good idea and here’s what I think : I want to play mainly support characters, with just enough dmg to solo beginning, but really not to compete world boss.
I like the idea to remove the top DPS ranking for reward, but I don’t know if this part of dmg (even 0.15%) is faisable for someone who focus on support (ChryoChrono for example).

Are you saying the requirement is too low or too much even at 0,15% as a full party for each member to achieve?

I’ve seen some pretty well-balanced or even outright destructive supports in my time playing the game and can assure you, supports aren’t to be trifled with.
The main goal for the fact it is a low % in the other hand, is to give supports like you said, enough time to deal damage then focus on keeping their group alive to gain the rewards at the end. As World Bosses can be tough to take down sometimes and drag on for mins to hours depending on whom you fight.

The Reflect would only reflect skills or debuffs in this case. But attacks would be mitigated for the remainder of the " Buff " the boss wields.

Let’s say a visual mirror-like bubble is created around the boss when he starts casting it to inform the group to stop attacking or casting spells and survive until it wears off. Or just tell your team to not cast any debuffs and attack strategically. You’d still deal damage but won’t be reflected or do as much. But any spells, skills or debuffs cast onto him gets nullified and sent back to whomever casted it.

Would that be a better sort of " Reflect " or be too challenging/gimmick-y?

Anything visual is fine and in general reflects are gimmicky prolonging fights without being tied into any other mechanical reason for pausing the fight.

1 Like

Maybe it could activate only once as a last ditch effort as the boss is about to die to surprise the group, sort of like a self-destruct mechanic. Would be unnecessary but totally unexpected. Not all World Bosses would do this. Just maybe one or two, to diversify some skills they use. Since regular bosses put down traps now and then, why do World Bosses have to do the same?

They could have given them a much greater punishment depending on the environment or type of element/species it is you are fighting against.

In fact, I’m not sure what dmg a full support can do :confused:
I did 2 World Boss with a Cleric2/Bokor2/Diev1 lv 160, and I was first dps, but only because it was lv 40 and 60 World Boss, and I was the higher level (and solo for the second one).
I’m currently lvling a CryoKinoChrono focused on Con and without the combo Ice Wall - PP, I have ridiculous dmg, I see that on mission bosses. So I think it’s worse for a CryoChrono who don’t have this combo !
I know that some support build have high dmg, but some others don’t, and I don’t know how much dmg they can dealt, because we see the ranking currently, but not the participation (like x% of the dmg dealt to the boss).
I don’t know if I’m clear, and sorry if my English is bad (not my first language ^^), but I would really like World Bosses who promote team play and not DPS races :slight_smile: