Tree of Savior Forum

My last feedback to the game

Well, this isn’t my good bye, I’m not quitting. But I’m not playing as much anymore. I expected some core changes in IMC design philosophy, but those never come. So yeah

This is not a doom saying as well. The game won’t die that easily, it will have its loyal fans and might still be changed for the better.

Here goes nothing.

I won’t talk about usual stuff like visual or audio.

The game was designed to be really good at the start. If you pay enough attention, each map get a diverse group of mobs, each is weak to certain kinds of attack and strong against others. Mobs HP scales nicely with character power. Even the density is fine. It was good. WAS.

Mobs HP and power grows dramatically after the first 200 levels, for no reason. This creates “power creep”. If you don’t understand what that is, it is the case where damage and HP get inflated way past their starting level.

Maple Story suffers from the same issue, where the game started with 10k damage cap, and 250k HP boss. Now it has 100m damage cap and 250b HP boss. Yes, that is 10000 times more.

Currently, TOS start with around 50-100 damage attack and ending up with 50k-100k, which is 1000 times bloated.

Big number is good you say? I like big numbers too. However, that makes many early circles obsolete if they don’t provide independent utility. You don’t want to use earth wave or heavy shot at rank 7-8 content, because they are pointless. You want stuff like swift step, quick cast, pain barrier or safety zone. Those are not dependent on flat numbers.

Why is that bad? Because it limits the builds you can pick, it also limit the skills you want to use. I mean why use skills like steed charge or pistol shot when you know they won’t get any better?

Then to the next problem.

IMC likes the shutdown philosophy. Block shuts down physical attack. Flying shuts down magic circle. Plague doctor shuts down status effect. I can go on with the list.

But the bottom line is they want the game to be rock-scissor-paper, where rock always loses to paper, and always beats scissor.

It’s a nice concept where everyone is OP and no one is. However, there are a few flaws to that:

• PvE isn’t designed that way (not yet? or never? I don’t know). For example ET mobs are fire element, bye pyro. Homing magic mob = bye evasion char
  • PvP is horrible, because you can’t choose your team mates, or your opponent. You can’t do crap if you are rock against paper.
  • There are not enough players to fill the balance trinity. If there are fewer people play papers, rocks will dominate, and scissors will suffer. Then scissors will switch to rocks, and then whole game is just rocks vs rocks.

Replay-ability is also a problem.

I liked questing the first time I play. So many quests to do, so many stories to read, so many regions to explore.

I still like it the second time I play. I missed so many things on the first time. There are so many chests I can open now

And I still like it the third time. There are hidden bosses, hidden quests that I missed.

But on my 4th char, screw questing. Power leveling is much better. Why spend time on those bot-plagued fields when I can leech off a high level warlock?

The time spent vs exp ratio is all wrong with low level quests. If you do all quests it takes you 2-3 days to reach level 100. If you leech it takes you 6 hours.

And there’s no short cut, nor incentive to do quests as well.

IMC is trying to encourage people to play more characters by introducing team level bonus. Yet they are also trying to discourage people playing by character bound items, limited lodge slots, expensive attributes and the massive grind even at early levels. I mean you need to kill 1000 mobs to gain one level at 120, not even half way through the game. That isn’t right.

And then there’s this issue with game stat. Honestly, CON is the only useful stats. INT and STR are useless with new items and circles. SPR is only used by support clerics, and that is because they have nothing else to put stat on. Same goes for DEX

If IMC still wants to make STR/INT relevant, I can envision them doing the same thing as Maple Story: adding % bonus stat option to items (transcendent already add CON %), and they need big options to be even competing with weapon damage (I’m talking about 500% bonus). But that add more to the inflated damage problem as well.

Well, that’s the end of my random rambling.

Let’s hope for the best.

54 Likes

Well put bud. Agree with everything you said.

I myself just login to run Saalus for the blessed gems and rush 130 on just 1 char. I may occassionally do TBL when I feel like it, but there’s really nothing else.

I just started a new alt more than a week ago but got tired of competing with bots in the field even when I’m just questing.

3 Likes

Regardless I log in just to have fun, I can not agree more with your thoughts.

1.- Some of us waited a couple of years for this game. “WOAH! They releasing a true spiritual successor to RO!”, then, we finally get the chance to try the CBT and was fun, a lot of grinding, glitches bugs and disconnections, but you were able to turn a blind eye because it was CBT and sh*t like that is expected right?

2.- CBT is over, we are more than hyped to try out the OBT, then, the shenanigans started… High priced “early access” to the OBT was ridiculous, but hey! My friends decided they were going to jump the “early access” wagon yet, I didn’t I decided to wait.

3.- FINALLY the OBT is released, and OH MY! OH MY! This is when ToS, started its decline, glitches started to be exploited, hacktools started to show up, lack of support from IMC, etc.

4.- Months after, my friends call it quits because of the exploiting, bugs, glitches, people hacking the fvck out of TBL, GVG.

5.- I decided to stay cause I’m not the PvP type anymore, too many years of RO WoEing and PvPing + MOBAing, got the best of me so that part was meh to me. So I remained full of hope.

6.- Things got worse, people crashing channels, monopolizing rare gear/drops, MORE BLATANT HACKING ON THE ARENA, lack of response from IMC.

7.- The nail in the coffin for me, exploiters making fun of people reporting them in forums, IMC not giving two flying fvcks about tons and tons, and tons of proof implicating so many exploiters, is ridiculous.

So in retrospect for me, this was such an amazing idea (the game), an idea that has been poorly executed. One more time, is proven that, most Korean MMOs, are just cash grabs, I honestly call it quits with Korean MMOs, no more.

I also think, this game will still be running even with a low population, Korean devs, don’t mind keeping a server up, as long as people keep throwing a few bucks, here and there.

I hope, for the sake of those who are supporting this game with all their heart in hopes of this game to get good as it was meant to be, that they get their wish granted. But for me, the fun it started to wash off.

14 Likes

It is not just Tree of Masochism, pretty much every game has such walls after which mobs become overpowered beyond scaling. And often the overpowered mobs are screwing the game cause they are too weak to prevent DD classers from soloing quests and too strong preventing Support classes from soling quests.

And you attacked the flat numbers just right. Pretty much every skill from lower circles based on flat numbers becomes useless later on. The exeptions from this have other effects they are used for. And to add fuel to the fail, many classes at C3 are reduced to a single skill. Melstis, Ausrine, Quickcast… anyone?

And PVP? Seriously? Why bother? Saves you alot of frustration. You get IMC’ed anyway.

IMC then does the final kick that topples the useless tree. No worldwide queues despite being badly needed. Many bugs never addressed or fixed. And Exploiters/Botters/Hydranium never punished. They banned good people like @nuclearmissile and @haukinyau to show off their perceived competence, despite everyone knowing that the company is a laugh.

7 Likes

Something I don’t understand is why some mobs absorb elemental damage, like Elets with Fire Damage?

What’s the point of the resistance-system if there are mobs like that? And why aren’t there mobs that negate damage from specific weapon-types too?

The power creep is just like Renewal RO, and any RO fan can tell you how much renewal sucked, every damn thing thrown out of balance

1 Like

+1 Like

i agree and i support OP!

another good man is down…

let us have a moment of silent for our fallen brother…
(while whiteknight still whiteknighting blindly)

@kurayami1234
welp, its their forum, their rules~
i’m well aware im playing with fire for all the trolling etc (huehuehue)

@nuclearmissile have his pride and havent made 2nd account like i do…
im on the other hand, shamelessly trolling again (you’ll never kill the huehuehue spirit!)

but i wont be making any contribution anymore… not like anyone expected anything anyway…
(RIP my cata thread…)

im just here for my daily hue and give my 2 cents

Guys, are not you entertained ?
huehuehue!

4 Likes

DOn’t forget the mobs that are immune to debuffs “because yes”.

What they should do with Spirit is make it like Dex - make having more SPR mean that status effects have a higher chance to land with more SPR, and more SPR also gives you more resistance to status effects.

This way, there’s a stronger reason to invest in SPR for PvP oand/r to surpass monster debuff resist in PvE (but PvE resists should be easier to surpass with lower amounts of SPR)

Agreed every point you said. Hype is gone. irl friends gone. And i am now play lesser and lesser. I have change my mindset. ToS isn’t my everything. There is a real life out there waiting for me. I don’t need to frustrate myself and spoil my whole day mood.

Meta building doesn’t matter to me anymore. I don’t care about must used up daily mission and dungeon anymore. Alts got slashed till last one where i dump all my tp into it. But it must be able to do well in every aspect questing,grinding,mission,dungeon,world boss and ET. There isn’t a must to get top dps or top ranking. Is the reward worth it for trying so hard? I can spend my little free time enjoying the game and not competing with others. Events will be ignored if too tedious or time consuming.

Now i can just solo fine and slowly questing. Enjoying the graphics and music. I don’t need to go get scorned for being pelt-less, not contributing or being a baggage. FK them! i don’t need them merry-go-round parties and they can ignore me too.

There are so many games coming soon in pc,ps4 and xbox. If IMC still doesn’t improve after rank 8, i am going to jump ship. In gaming industry, the weak dies and the strong remains.

5 Likes

You said it all!
My pc and internet are both crap so I didn’t bother to join any guilds.

I hate metawhores who are constantly flaming, insulting you while you don’t even play vhl lol.

It’s rather tedious but since I have 0 meta with my 5 chars I never join any grinding parties because too much very rude people wannabemetawhores.
With updates somes builds got totally thrashed, nerf or become useless even popular ones, so I just take my time and slowly level up all my alts.

1 Like

Well said, if this is what we’re getting for rank 8 I can’t even imagine how rank 9 and 10 are going to be. Making most pre-6 circles completely useless and irrelevant. I thought one of the core aspects of this game was its class diversity.

1 Like

yes, lagunarealm48, there are many flaws in the game design. the scaling is definitely one of them. it appears IMC did not full think their game design, and the are too far along and are unwilling to change it. why make lower classes worthless? this just means everyone will be the same at max level since previous ranks are no longer useful due to crazy scaling.

after playing the game for some months, it is clear there are man flaws. i hope IMC can make changes.

1 Like

agree with everything but this

1 Like

Thank you so much for your constructive feedback which will pass our dev.team to know them to help our saviors. Let’s hope for the best here too :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@STAFF_Max pls give hint on class reset issue, is it coming or no?

i dieded a little

hue

no lol, don’t even need to ask =/

hey @STAFF_Max u guys need to look at transcendence system, it should be faster, like 1 month doing saluus and u are all max transcended. thats because new players will end up going full suport cus only old players will be able to compete DPS wise cus they have 550% weapons that take 1 year + to achiev

also, saluus should have a solo option, cus its hard to find party sometimes, making all this process even slower

1 Like

I like this idea. may be 3 months to complete the full trans to make it a little more challenging, but solo option would be the best thing ever