Tree of Savior Forum

Mentor System for Characters

Hey’ Everyone.

I wanted to share this idea with everyone, here it is :

A Mentor System.

Let’s fix some rules about it :

• This System allow people to become again low levels and helps people (But not only, i’ll explain this later.)

• You can’t be a higher level that you’re already.

• The Stats will be down, and will be stuck untill the mentor system is off. You’ll get the stats of the concerned level too. Your weapons will be down too, and your armor. Means that, if you’re lv. 356, and you mentor lv. 30, a monster lv. 30 will be able to destroy you.

• And you won’t be able to mentor a lesser level than the restrictions. Means : If You need to be 30 to unlock this mentor mode, you won’t be able to be 29 or Less. The Mentor system start to 30.
    (Same thing if this is 50 the restictions, or 100.)
    This thing prevent from newbie spamming to be “PowerLeveling”.

• (Optionnal) I want some lower stats compared to the actual level. Means that you won’t be able to “carry” a squad. But just help it.

• (Optionnal 2) This one is harsh, but you can fix a restrictions on the time spent on Mentor. If you spent 4hours a day, you can’t use it anymore.

Why I want to see this implemented :

• Firstly, this system helps to play with friends mostly. Who got some friends who wants to play only in squad with you ?
    This game will be mostly a problem to form squad with friends if you don’t have the same play time, or if you wanna do something else a W-E. Means you won’t be the same level as your friends after some day playing. And 89% of the time, your friends or yourself are quitting the game.

• ***This sytem can lead to some new achievements.***This one is for both players, Casual or Hardcore.
    I personnaly don’t want some achievements on a number of people helped (But that’s still an idea), but maybe something like : Do a Dungeon with all players in the squad < 15 levels of the level of the dungeon. (A dungeon lv. 115, to get it, you’ll need a full squad lv. 100)
    Or something like that.

• And Last one : The system can reward player who do it. The reward can be a Title, it can be some money, well, whatever you want, just to show that you didn’t lost your time by helping.

/!\ I don’t want that this system will be used for the reward, but mostly to helps or to play with friends. /!\ So the reward should be always a “thanks”, not a Spam Reward. (No Exp Inside, Just Coins or something else.)

ABOUT THE EXP BAR : If you mentor, the exp bar shouldn’t be stucked. The exp bar should continue to be leveling even if you mentor down to 300 levels. But with the same nerf as it occurs when you hit low levels monsters Ofc.

That’s all, I mostly spoke of all, I hope I forgot nothing.
I would like to know if some peoples thinks the same. Or I would like to know if someone got some better idea.

Have fun All & Enjoy your day.

12 Likes

Basically a level sync.

I agree that there should be some system like this, with 350 levels (500 speculated levels), and a 20 level gap before EXP becomes 1, you can’t really play with friends.

I believe there should be some type of level sync feature, though I don’t think we need this:

Also with this being more than just a level sync, there should be some sort of mentor rewards for playing with people that are lower leveled, at least as an incentive for more players to help lower leveled players out.

2 Likes

Genius idea

It wouldn’t leave those casual friends behind and it will also create a good community all around.Especially when you want to invite new players to TOS you won’t feel force to create an ALT to play with them.Furthermore,this feature can even help many guilds to unite and work together as a team.We get a lot of new players joining a guild at a low level and end up grinding alone.

Or OP just watched SAO or played one of several MMOs with such a system

I would like to see something like this too.

The #1 thing people like to do when they are bored of the endgame content is helping out newbies.
If you apply a strong stat debuff during the mentoring to the total stats then it should be enough for the high level player to not be able to powerlevel the newbies, even if the player has higher tier skills. The time restriction seems unnecessary.

Not like he said he invented it ^^

Picking great ideas somewhere does not make them less good =)

I agree that some level sync could be interesting at some point considering this

1 Like

Log Horizon anime has this feature, I remember an MMORPG with this kind of feature, Master and Apprentice thingy cant remember the name though.

Yeah but the idea i think came first from WoW or other MMO i used to play.

Now about this whole thing, this could be any level, and to avoid powerleveling spam on chats and what not, the level sync is at max 2-3 levels difference from mentor to disciple.

Ex.: If i am a mentor at high level (lets say im lvl 200) and the person im mentoring is level 1, then my level and gear stats will drop to level 3 or 4, couild be less or same level as the disciple, i think its something nice to apply here.

The only downside on this idea, and its not on the idea itself but what will bring with it, is the lower levels begging for money or some kind of financial help from the mentor, that unfortunately, theres no system to fix it.

I like the whole idea, but I think it will take time, for now lets be patient and trust IMC :+1:

1 Like

Exactly, for now we can only wait and see what IMC will do.

I Like systems like this it encourages playing with your friends and re visiting old areas so they don’t die in population later on. But i think mentor system should be lvl 100, 30 and 50 are very early in the game.

1 Like

Personal opinion: Seems too convoluted.

Let me ask just to be sure: What ‘benefit’ is there for the mentor to be there using this system instead of just making an alt to play with the friend?

With an alt, you can play together from the start, get exp normally, equipment you can buy straight off market (and can just buy the best weapon for the level bracket) and explore new classes while at it.

The only benefit I can see from your system is that the mentor will have his skills, but then those high rank skills will be able to destroy low rank enemies anyway due to the skill damage value on it.

Btw both the optionals are frankly counter-productive.
The first one TERA had a phase where it’s something similar (a problem of players receiving new relic weapons but the system for high level player to help out queues of lower dungeon still give them really bad equipments), it ends up with people abusing how flawed the rebalancing system (certain things are not touched at all, like +HP crystals) is to not drag the party down.

Second one - What if the timer runs out while they’re in the middle of a dungeon or boss fight?

Some incentive to play with friends is nice, but I don’t think there should be that many hoops to jump through to get to it.

I can understand what you are saying, but i can figure out something out of it, how about mentor coins? You can use it to buy stuff from a mentor vendor, now about what would be sold in there, its something to debate, a mentor costume, rare materials for crafting, gems,some sort of gear, we can think of any number of items to be put there. Or, mentor points to be used on some places, like a special dungeon/raid.

We have the forum for that, so we can discuss what would be worth for the system.

3 Likes

If that is the case… i could play with my friends with new character …

if i would do this, its for the rewards the system might give not because of my friends. (id rather power level them so we can enjoy high level or end game stuff together…)

This is the ruin of many games, plvl new players is the most stupid thing invented, due to the simple fact that they level fast and learn little, then when they get on high level or max level they barely know what they can do in game or with their classes.

And about what i suggest there, imho, multiboxing in this game shouldnt be allowed, due to the fact you just pointed, and for the fact that many times, cause problems for others, imagine you looking for a party in a map to level up and all the spawns are busy with full parties of alts? Im not meaning the same person but various and obviously not all the parties will be alts, but many might be? Specialy with those parasitic plvl services that WILL for sure come into the game too.

I personally think Mentor system shouldn’t give out rewards.
I mean it’s a system for you to be able to play with your friend, that should be the sole motivation, not the reward that it offers.

There’s still also the question of “why not just make an alt?”
You get more icoin by doing leveling/exploring using a new character (since the old one can’t gain exploration points from those same old map anymore)
You can pair up from the go.

And because of ToS class system, even if you follow the same class route as before early on, you might try out one of the other high tier class you didn’t pick this time. Who knows, maybe it’ll turn out to be your new favorite and you switch your main over.
(For example, Swords->Highlander->Barb3 then Centurion instead of Doppel before, since you do have a friend to benefit more from Centurion’s skills)
(My personal “I totally want to try this once” combo is Sorceror + Necro, double the boss summon)

As you saw on other posts, not everyone would go on that way of thinking, which is why the reward system started to be discussed.

There is that point too, but for now we are on beta, who knows what IMC would do with those coin rewards later on, unless im wrong here, im sure they might add other thing instead of coins, like char bound dyes or hairstyles or costumes.

Yeah, and there was another thread about class reset scroll, which brought up a stupid war about it lol, in all honesty like i said on that said thread, i dont mind start over a char, as long as im enjoying it, i mean, we start from 0 to learn how things work, if one dont want to work for it, why bother playing then? Which is why i suggested the level difference to be around 3 levels,

About this, it could pretty much lock the use of the skills based on the char level, as well the skill levels.

I think instead of a separate “Mentor” system, this would be better if it was simply incorporated into the existing party system.

i.e.
When you are in a party and the EXP option is set to ‘Even Share’, all players who are higher than the lowest level player’s even share range (greater than 20 levels I hear) will get their level and stats scaled back so that they are within even share range.

I do not think you should get any bonus rewards for doing this, maybe an achievement or 2 at most. You should do it to help people and party with friends, not for a reward.

Not all hunans think like that, most want to earn something just for giving a hand.

1 Like

This is just my personal speculation but I think that ToS is trying to make people do things on their own will rather than because there’s some special reward tied to it. (the iCoin reward can come from doing anything so it’s not giving incentive to any specific actions)

Because once you start giving that reward, while there’s an increased desire to do it, you get an equal or worse drop in desire to do said task once that reward loses its value (got everything you can) or runs out (for example running out of daily quests)