Tree of Savior Forum

[Lets have a talk]A more efficient way to ban bots, hackers etc

Hopefully to the point nobody will buy.

Another idea would be to just murder the economy. Make money untradable. Remove the market. Wanna trade? Trade in kind.

The economy is already murdered when the silver is so expensive to be traded. In game money is usually sold with the same or lower price than how much effort you need to earn it.

When the value of traded silver is high, it means that the effort to earn silver from trading activity is high, thus no one will be bothered to trade, resulting in a single player game.

So long as silver can be traded, the economy is alive. See, this is what happens if you choose a design that caters to bots but don’t have the power to prevent bots. IMC can catch them, but not prevent them.

If the result of such anti bot measures is a single player game then so be it.

A less drastic (but still drastic) measure would be to have fixed trade values for EVERYTHING. Have IMC dictate the value of everything in the game. There would still be trade and market but you don’t get to decide how much your things would sell for. This would fix RMT via market, but it does NOTHING to prevent it via 1:1.

Bot can actually be prevented if the dev is having the appropriate skills regardless of game design. Too bad they don’t. The community usually outsmarted them.

Also, any popular games that requires grinding effort will attract bots. I’m not sure if you know about Kancolle, it’s a browser game without RMT and there are still plenty of botter in it. It doesn’t even has interaction between players in game.

A true quote from my friend, an indie game developer who had so many hack/mod in his game (it’s pretty popular) and gave up on preventing it. “Why the hell would I be a game dev if I have the skill to fix security loophole?”

If there are plenty of botters, then there must be other reasons than RMT to bot. IMC either embraces the bots (develop with them in mind) or they take away the reasons to bot (can’t do that because they chose a design that “caters” to bots). Look at the case for tos. Let’s say IMC makes it “single player”. No trading with FFA party looting. There’s still botting for xp.

Here’s something to think about. What if they made money untradable? How would you “cheat” the system? I would propose to trade with pots. I get to decide how many pots my item would be worth. I could still use my money for other npc services (upgrading, repairing, buying pots for my own consumption). I won’t be able to buy money via RMT, but I could buy pots via RMT.

Basically, the system enabling RMT is trading. Take that away and no more RMT. We all know what that would do to tos though.

Then some item/consumable will become money equivalent. That works with stat potions in RotMG.

Anyway, trying to fight bots is like trying to cure symptoms instead of illness. As long as there are players that want to buy something (and thus creating demand for such services) there will be RMTers ready to provide it.

1 Like

RMT is only a part of the botting’s reason. Most people bot without the intention to sell the money though.

What i was trying to tell is: as long as there is demand there will be offer. And ToS was designed to be grindy so trying to combat bots would prove to be an exhausting endeavor.

This:

And that:

As simple as that. If there are ppl willing to buy, there always be ppl willing to sell. It’s not really botters fault, the fault goes to those lazy players that can not just play the game like everyone else but instead they search easier/faster way to progress. But there is nothing we can do about it.

1 Like

And this kind of laziness is what made the human progress this far (and the main reason you get to play MMORPG).

[quote=“Mirarara, post:99, topic:126544, full:true”]
And this kind of laziness is what made the human progress this far (and the main reason you get to play MMORPG).
[/quote]The only “progress” that laziness brought is… remote controls for wide variety of home devices. Everything else was based on time/material efficiency, safety and entertainment.

Don’t forget the most important quality for a good programmer is laziness. lol.

That’s the point, to make it harder to sell/buy silver.

I already have proposed a formula for this:

Continuing the discussion from Preparing for a Healthy Economy in the International Server:

It is a complex formula, and a somewhat complex implementation compared to what we have seen so far, but I’m very positive it would work on keeping the riches distributed more evenly between players.

The main point is to tax the amount of silvers you earn as a whole, instead of a per-transaction tax.

Oh look, silver is no longer tradable in ktos.

It has never been directly tradeable. You have always been able to Buy/Sell items in the Market, though.

it has been in iCBT2. You could input amount of silver you want to give during trades and it worked fine.

I like how Reddit punish users : shadowbanning.

Instead of showing a red sign “You have been banned!”, it doesn’t tell to the banned guy anything so he doesn’t know he is banned.

He can still use the game normally, but nobody except him will see his messages or his items on the market. The bot thinks it is still playing except that it won’t be able to interact with anybody.

5 Likes

I like the idea.
Strictly limited access to the game’s features is more painful than just not being able to get into the game at all.

Yeah, I meant in since kOBT, and even now on full release.

I believe I saw a bug in some games that also results in that,
when a player gets disconnect, the player character actually
can move and do anything, but monsters and objects
would not be able to be interacted or will not even move.

That happened to quite a number of mmos, sometimes
the player even gets the notice of disconnect a few minutes later (or never).