Tree of Savior Forum

Let us discuss the "Fan Art Event"

Agreed, and this thread is to improve that part. To make everything more mature. Rules, procedures and so on.

Do you have specific one to suggest?

let the players judge/vote for arts instead of staffs.

I think the Ppl with many supporters would naturally have highest votes.
How could we cover that part?

7 Likes

I spend a week doing mine and it didnā€™t won and it was made with images from the gameā€¦

should I have won just for effort alone or not won cause I donā€™t know how to draw?_?

If you or even your graphic related staff cannot decided what to pick and what not, youā€™re not ready to create such contest in the first place.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s an easy one:

I think all contestants deserve to see why a certain piece won; i.e. a response from the judge or judges as to why it won. The response does not have to be perfect - it can be concise, but should be clear. Without knowing why a piece won yet creating works to be scored against an unknown rubric, contestants are really left in the dark, for the most part.

8 Likes

A seperate section for contest subs would be wonderful.

Anyways, itā€™s shoddy for some of you to publically call out a perfectly valid submission, and also to scribble all over someone elseā€™s art. Iā€™d say remove it, but idk, people would probably call censorship or whatever.

On the other hand, while I know a small mmo contest isnā€™t a real judge of skill, Iā€™m very surprised that the judges found some of the works more moving than others. I wonā€™t lie, itā€™s very very discouraging and even offensive to a lot of artists whoā€™ve tried their best to put something awe-inspiring in every part of their drawing, only to get shot down because of an overwhelming bias.

Iā€™ve seen non-artists find more appeal in art that I found much less inspiring, and I know itā€™s just a difference in what you can or canā€™t percieve. I donā€™t really know how this can be managed so itā€™s a bit of a bull request, but maybe a more varied panel would be nice.

10 Likes

Just to stop the event is not really good leads to this discussion. What else we could think?

You can make it like filter the inappropriate arts then let players decide what they want as ā€œtheir game loading screenā€

Yes it could, but with many judges could misdirect our early purpose. perhaps we could make a ground golden rules for it?

You may also want to consider asking previous winners to be the next panelā€™s judges. It would strictly be a volunteering thing, but would also normalize the results, in my earnest opinion. At least then the scoring would be more apparent, if sourced by the winners rather than making a publicity contest which can be rigged.

7 Likes

I really recommend increasing the amount of art work selected, I know you mentioned technical limitations but 10Ā± still seems quite low for the amount of submissions. There is so much great work and I can imagine that low limit is demoralising, plus I just want to see more of them in game.

If implementing more submissions is absolutely impossible, an honourable mentions like system would be a good idea. It could include a smaller prize and just something to thank the artist for their hard work.

Iā€™ve always loved the Fan Art events, theyā€™re such a great idea. Itā€™s nice for the community and we all enjoy the hard work artists put into it. And thank you for making a thread like this, this is exactly the kind of thing we want.

3 Likes

This could be also a great idea. leaving the judge to the artistsā€¦ if we could proceed it by blind test. But what I fear is, that if someone is constantly coming up. And he becomes the judge two or three times.

Since this is not a Wine or Snack looking into picture and specific tone people could distinguish itā€¦

mmm to judge or be judgeā€¦ :blush:

I know some that would love to be judge of the new generationsā€¦

but, I worry some people would ditch the offer at the lack of a prizeā€¦

which brings me to:

#Previous winners only please: would you like to be judge on the next fan art event

• yes
  • no

0 voters

if people could @ the winners that would be great too xD

2 Likes

you didnā€™t get the point i tried to point out with my earlier reply

this is an ART CONTEST event. if staff members cannot judge all those arts PROPERLY then thereā€™s no point in it. You might as well change the rule to something like ā€˜The winner will be chosen randomly regardlessā€™ then the problem is solve. everyone stands on equal ground and I / we wouldnā€™t have problem with that at all.

Forget it, my point is you just canā€™t go ā€œOH THERE ARE TOO MANY GREAT WORKS I CANā€™T CHOOSE SO LETā€™S RANDOMā€ for something called a CONTEST.

6 Likes

This could be a start.

Can you elaborate what was your " purpose"??

1 Like

5 Likes

Well, as we discussed before, ā€œGood judging processā€, taking out randomness, making more just ā€¦
But if many ppl involves and they also have different perspectives

The caveat is you must reinstate the restriction on consecutive wins. At least this will:

• Give room to those who have not won
  • Have the winners not have to compete again

But as far as that goes, since the contests have only had a few consecutive winners, you (IMC) should have no issue with it. After all, itā€™d only prevent a couple people from winning again, which I think is fair*.

Overall, I think it would be less bias, because youā€™d potentially be sourcing from multiple people, each different from every round.

* Fair being, open to contestants to win if they havenā€™t.

2 Likes