Tree of Savior Forum

iTOS,Swordsman branches that need a buff/rework July-August 2017

Greetings from orsha, the point of this thread its to share our colective opinions on wich “Swordsman” circles are the most underwhelming ones at the moment and for instance the ones that need to get buffed or reworked in some way to make them more viable.

The general idea of this poll its to vote for the classes that we think need a buff the most, you can explain your reasoning in the comment section if you want. After a few amount of votes i’ll create a poll on the wizzard, and archer threads as well, the reason its because i want people to take their time to share their opinions/votes here first.

In the future, after closing the polls, i’ll try to contact a staff member to see if they can somehow make use of this information for future rebalance patches. As their playerbase our opinions do matter, we are the ones playing the game after all, however, wather or not they make use of this information its something that its out of our hands, but we can try at least.

Before you vote:

• Each person has 3 votes, that’s for us to show a few clases that we think need to be reworked instead of just 1.

• Please keep in mind both aspects PVP and PVE.

• Future patches from KR should be taked into account as well.

• Be polite, respect others opinions, this is a space to share our ideas, if we want someone to take us serious we need to learn to respect each other.

• Feel free to suggest a new title for the topic, as well as other suggestions to improve this idea.

With all of that out of the way, here we go.

• Swordsman
  • Highlander
  • Peltasta
  • Hoplite
  • Barbarian
  • Cataphract
  • Rodelero
  • Corsair
  • Squire
  • Doppelsoeldner
  • Fencer
  • Shinobi
  • Dragoon
  • Templar
  • Murmillo
  • Lancer

0 voters

4 Likes

I want to thank you all for participating so far, dont forget to check the cleric one and the future wizzard and archer polls as well.

Swordsman

“Pain Barrier” rework

reasons:
It will be lackluster soon when CC revamp comes since everyone will have a pseudo version of it in PvP and there will be less kds and kbs in pve. If the skill would actually relate to pain, which is damage for that matter, it will somehow give “all” swordsman builds survivability in PvP, without depending strictly CON builds and murmillo paths.
suggestions:
(1) As the name suggests, blocks damage for a duration and recieve it afterwards or something like that similar to the effect of Bokor’s Mackengdal.
(2) or prevents swordsman from being incapable of combat for a duration but takes double damage while the buff is on.

Cataphract

“Class Color”

reasons:
Despite being red class the damage is mediocre compared to it’s blue class counterpart rodelero which is even more amplified by murmillo. At the moment, the class main purpose is to offensively support via knockdown and knockback. Remember, falconer used to suffer the same treatment despite being red class is used as utility instead.
suggestions:
(1) Tone the damage and synergize it’s skills to its fellow mount class which is Lancer, similar to what peltasa and rodelero are enjoying with Murmillo being a shield class.
(2) or just change class color to green.

“Trot” rework

reasons:
Cataphract boasts to be a a mobile class, but halving trot movement bonus in PvP would make cataphract’s mobility not much difference from a dashing swordsman aside from the companion bonuses while dashing swordsman have the CC immunity.
suggestions:
(1) Just remove trot and enables cataphract to dash as well like Hackapels.
(2) or when trot is active, add evasion/block against melee damage but reduces evasion/block against missile damage, similar concept but reversed idea to murmillo’s Cassis Crista.

Lancer

“Crush’s Break Gear Attribute” rework

reason:
It seems to be broken and doesn’t reduce 50% of physical defense and physical attack.
suggestions:
(1) fix.
(2) or replace it with knockdown effect that would aid the crush quaintain combo.

1 Like

Rofl this poll is funny, the top 3 classes in this poll are in my build (except templar that is).

I wonder how IMC balances the classes though, they just shuffle them around and disturb the current meta without having actually balanced the game in reality…

1 Like

i feel like dragoon 2 don’t offer much… maybe this will change with dragoon 3 in the future, but for now there is little point into going further into the class, which is bad.

Rodelero is in an awkward position imo because it lacks a real purpose… it doesn’t really offer much defensively ( blue class) despite the fact that is based on shield, and it’s dmg is quite lacking as well, only hit hard with murmillo attributes and for the purpose of planning for rank 8 i feel like just going hoplite is better since it raises your block chance.

Corsair imo suffer from a lack of synergy. it has one good skill (iron hook) and some interesting mechanics ( closest thing to actual dual wielding in this game) and a defined fantasy (pirates), but there isn’t much one could do to seize this uniqueness. Since rank 8 is a shield user ( no dagger, so no dual wield) or a mounted/spear class ( neither is a pirate thing) one is forced to downgrade a rank… i dunno, i feels kinda left in the dust… but this, of course, might change at rank 9.

1 Like

Pretty sure blue doesn’t solely represent defense, it can be crowd control too which Rodelero has plenty of, but I wish that Rodelero were a little better as a stand alone class and didn’t have to rely as much on Murmillo attributes.

Also why are people voting Dragoon? According to one of the most popular builds on tosbase http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/5t2xhujvdi/ says it’s one of the most powerful swordsman builds.

I joke though, I really enjoy playing Dragoon (probably my favorite Swordsman class) but they are fairly weak and I agree they need something more, I just get a good laugh at how some people can defend it so heavily.

The top 3 (dragoon, templar, cataprhact) are pretty obvious, i don’t know why IMC just keep giving love taps on them. They need a lot more than simple buffs.

1 Like

Hoplite
It seems quite solid on the surface: Finestra is amazing, stabbing is fun, spear lunge is a must for a spear build. But I find it kinda lackluster, especially in comparison to highlander, which is a lower rank class. If you’re planning to wield 2h spears, stabbing and pierce is all you have while leveling, 2 attacks with no overheats on 25s and 30s cd seem very slow and boring. Long stride is absolute rubbish, 49s cd is too much, you don’t really need a gap closer, sprint is good enough. It gets more fun when you get to c3 spear throw but it used to be much better when it was spammable. The only reason to even go c3 is Finestra lvl 15. Hoplite should be a no-brainer spear class, but I feel like highlander c2 probably nets you more dmg than hoplite.

Dragoon
Again, pales in comparison to other classes of the lower ranks (Doppel, Fencer). Feels clunky, Gae Bolg is not targetable, 2% dmg buff zone is not that big of a deal (heard it gets upped to 8% though), other skills should have more overheats or higher damage. Seems devs went for a no skill spam but hard hitter debuffer class but it’s just not good enough to compete with Doppel at its current state. Hope they make it good at c3.

Cataphract
Probably should be redesigned completely.

Swordsman
It’s okay actually, but going c3 just for the Pain Barrier lvl 15 shows everything that’s wrong in this game.

Shinobi
Man, that’s a weird one. For assassin archetype it lacks any kind of agile fighter class to synergize with. Tanky shield-wielding stealthy cold-blooded killer gladiator is not exactly a kind of assassin I’d like to play as. Clone synergies are all over the place. While mechanically solid, thematically it belongs more to an archer tree. Should’ve made it a full class with 3 circles.

2 Likes

The new “interactions” are a nice touch, but even with that the main problems remain the same.

About templar they said that guild system overall was going to change, and templar as well, but so far nohting has been said about that.

Odly enough most PVP builds take corsair 1 just for that, but i agree that the class feels weak overall, im actually quite surprised that its so low on the poll, maybe because of iron hook?

Maybe this will change with the buff to GG cards?

Man, I sure hope so.

i think the card system will change a lot on this game… especially at the archer branch ( with werewolves card cap at 3 rogues will suffer a heavy hit) you should make one of those topics on archer area too xD

The imbalances of the overpowered classes skews the perception of what’s underpowered in the context of existent content. Doppel, Murmillo, Highlander and (kind of Lancer, they burst way too quickly) make all the other classes too weak in comparison. Even outside of the Swordsmen tree, it skews the other classes idea of DPS.

Squires and Templars are in a very different position and really do require entire reworkings when it comes to the question of future content and viability. Perhaps separating their utility functions and combat skills could be an option, opting for less overall, but still viable damage.

2 Likes

Pretty much this, im surprised to see that some people misunderstand and think that when we ask for changes or rabalances we are asking for OP buffs that make even a templar/squire be on a doppel dps level when its not the case. There are some classes wich are underwhelming even on their own thing, templar its the prime example of this, the class feels bad even for what its supposed to do, another example its kirivis wich has some irrelevant buffs (as its is rn).

I was planing on making them slowly to give people enough time to vote and comment (2days between each other), so yeah i’ll make the archer one tonight. And yeah i agree that rouges got a huge hit with that were nerf.

1 Like

Unfortunately a lot of people misinterpret what balance is, and should be. The biggest one I see is the opposition to nerfing those overpowered classes. Once the changes are made I think they’ll realise what we meant this whole time. The same can be said about buffing classes.

Doppels shouldn’t even have Doppel levels of DPS. haha

1 Like

Templar and Squire are by far the Classes with the highest need of immediate buffs.
Not only do they lack the attack power to compensate for their supportive nature, most of their skills are pretty much useless while actively playing the game.

Squires e.g. are useless in their ability to boost weapon&armors if the boost is so heavily affected by the skillevel. Noone would opt to build a Squire Circle 1 into his character just for the convenient Repair. Also, repairing has the problem that you have to set up a shop every time you want to repair something. This means you have to pay 30% taxes on your own repair for no reasons.

It already is pretty ridiculous that you have to pay silver if you try to upgrade a weapon by yourself in this game, but lacking the ability to repair your gear without the shop is very awkward and astonishing…
I think the ability to repair your own equipment via repair anvils would be a good way to improve Squires worth even on non-shop builds.

Doppelsoeldner is by far too strong. The base concept of the Class pre-balance patch was a lot better, taking several times the normal damage for higher attack values e.g. by reducing ones defence to 0%.

This is what Doppelsoeldner are, people who get paid twice for having an exponentially higher risk being at the front line to carve a path through the enemies defensive formation so that others can do their job. Yet in TOS, they are but a supporter, they are a human lawn verticulator that mows down enemies with no real threat because most monsters are too weak to seriously hurt a high defence Swordsman. Even the lack of a shield doesn’t hurt him, especially with the upcoming Plate&Cloth armor improvements.

I think they should’ve moved more defense onto the shield instead (shield should have 50% of your total defense or more) so that having a shield and transcending it would have a huge impact on playing instead of the mediocre chance to block an attack.

1. SQUIRE
    fix basecamp and food , always expired
  2. shinobi
    rework bushin and make other skill usefull
  3. dopple
    fix cyclone bug

Surprised Fencers didn’t get more votes - i thought they weren’t in a good position after the revamp patch? They’re almost extinct nowadays

I think Fencers are mostly in the grey area of not needing much buffing, but are lacking compared to the overpowered classes.

So… Balanced? XD

/20leafpenguins

Most veteran fencers I know are 50/50. Some are happy like me because we’re not that so weak against cloth type monsters anymore and the content’s been easier but then some of us miss being the class to really punish bosses. I can’t blame them really but then there are other swordsman classes that really in need of rework or a buff as well. Personally, I’m only playing it since I can’t find it on other games nowadays.