Tree of Savior Forum

Issues with mouse mode

Having played the game for nearly three weeks now, I have experienced many, many, many, problems with mouse mode. I think it is a good feature and it is absolutely necessary for playing wizard classes, but it is riddled with usability issues that make the gameplay experience a lot more frustrating than it needs to be.

1. Left click does way too many things. This is the biggest problem and if you only fix one thing about mouse mode please let it be this one.* Left clicking moves your character, attacks an enemy, and interacts with objects, not to mention being used to., you knowā€¦ click on things like buttons. By contrast, right clicking does exactly one thing: open the interaction menu with other players. Now, I donā€™t think it really matters which button does what, but at least one of those functions needs to be moved to another mouse button. I think changing this would help solve some of the other problems. After all, you right click to use items, so why not right click to interact with things?

2. Too many things block mouse interaction. Iā€™m sure there have been many other reports of being unable to interact with quest items when using mouse mode. Some objects have very odd hitboxes, and others are obscured entirely, forcing the player to switch to keyboard mode temporarily just to interact with the object. For some inexplicable reason, the cursor changes to ā€œtalkā€ mode when mousing over other playersā€™ pets, making it very difficult to actually click on your target when there are a lot of pets on screen. Grita has claimed many lives by jumping in front of the cursor and initiating a conversation in the midst of battle. I could go onā€¦

3. The party member UI is busted. Related to the previous point, but this is bad enough that it warrants its own point. For whatever reason, each party member status panel has its own ā€œhitboxā€ (clicking it does nothing). However, this hitbox extends a third of the way across the screen, and completely blocks all mouse interaction, including movement. If you have a full party this effectively renders the left part of your screen completely unusable.

4. Basic attack animation lock makes casting skills unresponsive. Once you click on an enemy, your basic attack will continue. Moving stop it, but trying to cast a skill isā€¦ indeterminate. The attack locks out all other input for most of its frames, forcing you to manually cancel the animation by moving before being able to do anything else. Itā€™s something you can work around, but it cancels out some of the benefit of using mouse mode in the first place.

5. Trying to do anything from out of range will make your character have a seizure. Intuitively, trying to target something that is out of your range should start moving your character into range. This sometimes worksā€¦ but most of the time instead of attacking once you get close enough, my character just freaks out looping the first few frames of the attack animation.

6. Clicking the UI sometimes passes through it. Actually the total opposite of point 3, but this game has some totally bizarre input handlingā€¦ Iā€™ve noticed that, for example, clicking Enter/Do not enter for dungeon entrance dialogs will register as a move command under the dialog. Somehow even clicking the Windows title bar (playing in windowed mode) will register as a move command.

Iā€™m sure there are more, but those are what I can remember off the top of my head. Again, I think mouse mode is a great feature and as a League of Legends player I (kind of) feel at home, but these issues have been a source of constant frustration since day one.

UPDATE
I just did the ā€œFirst Treat the Revelatorsā€ quest in Spring Light Woods, and the fight with the addled Revelators is very confusing in mouse mode. You are supposed to lower their HP and then interact with them, but the interaction UI is present from the beginning of the fight. In keyboard mode, the SPACE icon appears but you canā€™t interact with them. However, in mouse mode, the left click icon appears and it blocks you from using basic attacks because you wind up trying to interact with them.

Similarly, the quest ā€œProtect the Heritage (2)ā€ in Stele Road adds an interaction to punt the Tree Ambuloes into the bonfires, blocking your basic attacks.

Just more examples of left click being way overloaded in mouse mode.

21 Likes

Yep, I have experienced all this issues when im playing mouse mode. Please fix this problems, i dont want to be forced to change betwen mouse/keyboard, is really annorying.

why is nobody responding to this! This is a problem! needs some touchups and fixes!

I was annoyed too. Figured it would take forever to fix.

Love the game more than I hate IMC.

Now on keyboard mode.

OMG this is a necro, but everything said is still so relevant. I particularly hate no.3 and 4 (archer class) with a passion while no.5 is just irritable at best :slight_smile:

At the very basic, try clicking the teleport statue in Orcha. See if you can get it on the first try. lols.

Didnā€™t realize this was a necro but mouse mode needs some improvements. Namely:

1. Playing in parties, especially instanced dungeons, makes using auto attacks nearly impossible
  2. Clicking on statues and NPCs in crowded areas is difficult

I much prefer mouse mode for most things, but these key items need fixing. I would suggest:

1. Allow auto attack to work like other area based attack skills, so that I attack the area where my mouse is on screen instead of forcing me to click the mob. Also, make it easier for me to actually see that mob in a party of players.
  2. Left click should only click on the NPC or statue in this case and nothing else. If Iā€™m aiming in the general direction with my mouse, auto target the statue or NPC for me. Player pets should not have hitboxes or be clickable at all, and other players in general should only be clickable if Iā€™m using right click, otherwise their hitbox should not register on my mouse. Also other items such as Dievdirby totems and whatever that massive blue tree skill is, also need to not be clickable. They obstruct my view already, at least let me more easily click on the mobs I need to be attacking.

Another issues:

• Targeting
    Mouseover an enemy or clickable object targets it without even clicking
    esp. as (single target) Archer this is very annoying when kiting a huge group of mobs. Questobjects can reset your targeting aswell. The huge breakable floor in underground prison (where the cerberus jumps out) is one of those objects. Its not even possible to move properly by clicking in this area.

• rebinding mousebuttons
    Itā€™s called ā€˜mouse modeā€™ and yet I cant bind keys to mousebutton 3, 4 and 5 without workaround. Also: left and rightclick are not customizable
    Would be nice to have one click for targeting/attacking and one for moving

Up! Still have all this problems

1 Like

This is important! Up.

I think Mouse mode would benefit from either making the jump buttton also being the ā€œinteractā€ button, like in keyboard mode, or adding a separate ā€œinteractā€ key that we can assign to any keyboard/mouse button.

2 Likes

Nothing is more annoying than having to switch to keyboard mode just to interact with with literally half the objects in the game. Even the Event board doesnā€™t work unless you go into keyboard mode.

This also make things very difficult when questing. There were a few points that I got stuck not knowing what to interact with because I was in mouse mode and the interactions did not pop up.

I like this detailed list. Glad I found it before submitting another ticket. Mouse compatibility remains an ongoing problem in this game.

With the recent update, I did notice that accidental pet targeting has been semi-fixed. When I am in active combat, mousing over my ground companion no longer switches my target-circle over to it. In fact, I could not even right click it while in active combat. I really like this fix.

However, now my hawk is the new ā€œdodge your mouse around thisā€ mini game. I hope they will give hawks and potentially other class companions the same treatment as the basic ground companions.

1: There should be an option to reassign (or an additional) interaction button to a different mouse button or keyboard key.

3: I have been playing the game with the upper left 1/6 of my screen made unavailable due to the invisible UI borders. It was not too difficult to play around it until higher levels - where monsters hurt a lot more and that 1/6 of space becomes very valuable for kiting and ground targeting.

6: This is annoying especially when completing objectives/quests near a portal. It also makes me readjust the position of my characters in the lodge every time I switch out.

Here is a short list of some of the problematic interactions I started keeping track of:

Apsimesti Crossroads - 3 brothersā€™ tomb stones on Tree of Faith island, the ā€œtombā€ to the west that drops Pattern Stone (High)

Spring Light Woods - The Revelators Come First quest

Nuoridin Falls - Born with a Silver Spoon quest

Namu Temple Ruins - The Third Epitaph quest

Viltis Forest - Unidentified Poison quest, when collecting Toxic Thorn Tree Stump Goo

Roxona Reconstruction Agency East Building - portal to hidden room

Klaipeda & Orsha - Event Notice Board (I feel your pain, Piri_Piri. I thought new content would not have this problem.)

this list is perfect i love mouse mode but sometimes you hate it (when its not working) been inactive for a while and hoped something would have changed on return but nope

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I support this necro !
(plz, fix mouse controls in TBL, Iā€™m sad of seeing my skills casted in front of me or having my character moving then stopping instead of casting.)

1 Like

In mousemode, I seem to miss my Iron Hooks quite a lot when cursor is out of itā€™s range - the character just turns and throws it downscreen, wasting a cooldown.

Ok. Itā€™s time to up this thread. I thought it had something to do with my client only, when I caught that weird NPC clicking problem. At first it was challenging, now itā€™s ANNOYING.
I hope that this topic will get enough attention. Seriously.
At least make an option to report those bugged quests in game OR a specific key combination to switch instantly between UI modes if fixing those issues will take too much time.

1 Like