Tree of Savior Forum

Is Map Viewer Addon allowed?

yea, this has generally been the official “unofficial stance” in the past.
like i said previously… it’s very much a question of -exactly- what was asked/answered.

“is this 3rd party thing allowed” “Hell no!”

“is this basic addon allowed” “sure unless it causes problems”

“is this 3rd party basic addon allowed?” …well now it gets into splitting hairs. do they read “3rd party” and stomp it dead before looking at anything else? do they read “basic addon” before they read 3rd party? does the awkward english of the question combine with the awkward english of the answer to make them both completely unrelated to what the asker actually wanted to know about? etc…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

they’ve already had official responses saying that “reasonable” addons ARE allowed.

it boiled down to "as long as it’s not too intrusive, then we don’t mind."
of course, that’s still really vague and leaves a lot to be desired… but it’s probably the best we’ll ever get .

1 Like

but then people would have a fit at IMC posting official policy threads, and the thread would get spammed with bot reports, and requests for class reset, and 200 people all asking if the same addon is included in the allowed list, and so on.

i’ve been called stupid by people i’ve been a lot more impressed by.

and tell me i’m not right. tell me that -isn’t- what would happen to any “official policy” thread that gets posted.

not to mention all the people who would simply not read it, and keep asking anyway.
i mean half the people posting here seem to be unable to spot the “News” section of the website, or unable to use the search function.

This is the reply you wanted to see:

In case they did not fully understand what I asked, they could have checked the link of that thread. Also I know my English is not awesome, but I think the question is understandable.

But since addons are seen as third party programs, guess the reply is more than sufficient. I shouldn’t complain, heh :smile: I’m glad they answered to me so fast.

1 Like

"We understand that you would like to use third party program or addons."
so clearly they did NOT understand what you were asking. and they don’t have time to check.

they also did not explicitly say it was forbidden, or that you -will- get banned for it, only that you -might-.

they have had official staff statements in the forums explaining that script addons, such as those made by excrulon, are ok as long as they are non-intrusive and are not doing anything that is otherwise not allowed. (my words; go find/read the statements yourself if you want something more specific.)

until they take @Dissonance 's method, and post a public, stickied thread that explicitly states that addons are not allowed, then addons are going to be a part of the game. (hell i’m sure that addons will still be a thing -after- that post too, unless they completely remove anything that addon writers can hook onto to access the game functions.)

1 Like

So you say they did not understand me very well… I don’t know what to say. I truly feel uncertain…

@STAFF_Ethan, what would you think about this? If you have time, could you please confirm the Map Viewer Addon by Excrulon is allowed or not? I’d really appreciate your reply. Thank you very much!

The addon is absolutely necessary to play ToS.
Running 3-5 times all over an entire map just to get the last 1%, which isn’t even visible is not fun, it’s obnoxious.
It doesn’t give you an ingame advantage over other players. It’s just a time- and sanity-saver.

4 Likes

Agreed with @liantis24 .At first I thought it was another element that made the game funner and more rewarding…until I found myself staring at maps that looked completely solid with no idea where to go.When it happens with so many maps in a row,it’s no longer fun or a good idea.

I think that response was about as generic as the rest,so I wouldn’t worry too much about it and use it if you want to.

2 Likes

But… but… Staff_Julie way back then said she got word that Fog Viewer (Map Viewer) wouldn’t get you a ban, thus we can understand that it was allowed at that point?

1 Like

Added a question about addons to the QA thread. maybe they will give more info or a list of apporved ones. Im not sure about what mods there are since i dont use them, but if someone tells me what all there is or a page with them all listed, ill add that in the question…

1 Like

This should be included in the game, it is absolutely ABSURD that we have to GUESS where we missed while exploring. Especially since a lot of exploration requires you to HUG the wall, for some dumb reason.

There’s no way in hell any sane person would think this was “exploiting”, so I doubt IMC will ever say it is not allowed.

1 Like

well i mean technically it -is- in the game. that’s what the black fog is doing. however, the black fog expands far too generously when you approach it, resulting in “invisible” fog off the edge of the visible map.

like when you have a red square of fog, and only the very tip of a corner even touches the side of the map. the original black fog, half that square of fog would already be transparent… making it nearly impossible to identify without scraping along every wall in the map.

I totally agree.
Something like the fog viewer should have been included in ToS in the first place.

Wow, I haven’t seen that post!
Now I truly started to change my mind… It makes me happy lol

But even so, I’d like to see the answer of @Gringe’s question or any Staff member’s reply here. The ticket still concerns me, so I’d like someone of them to come here and make things clear once, so no one else shall fall in this situation anymore.

So we are allowed to use it, after all. Glad to hear that.

So thank you everyone. I would have been confused even today if you weren’t to help me :blush:

I have open a ticket and the team says addons are not allowed :frowning: