Tree of Savior Forum

Inventory being based on stats is a pretty bad system

What’s the benefit of that? Class balance? I can think of a hundred better ways to do that. Flavor? D&D invented this wonderful thing called Magic Bags a LONG time ago. Copying Ragnarok Online? It was one of the most annoying features of that game.

I hated having to dump points into str if I wanted to carry some more potions in RO. That’s because I wanted more potions, so I could spam them harder in woe. That’s the only reason “STR = Weight” made any speck of sense there, so classes designed to be frail could actually be somewhat frail.

Well, potion-spam thankfully doesn’t seem possible here. So why is “stat = inventory” still a thing? All I can see this doing is forcing a party to stop a run in order to wait for a wizard or archer or whatever, because they’ve gotten over the weight limit before the others.

Seems pretty bad to me.

1 Like

I put no point in STR and still doing fine.
It’s not that you will get a lot of items either, what you get most is material which usually 1 weight.
If you’re having inventory issue, probably you tried to carry everything you picked up.

1 Like

I don’t see a plausible reason either why STR classes should have more carry weight than classes based on INT.

I think they do that so you have to go back to town and take a little break from what you’re doing, might no even be related to the game itself, maybe a health issue?

I can’t think of anything else. I’m playing as a Wizard, now Psychokino, and i’m not having problems carrying my items so far but i don’t like this weight system either. I played other games that had that mechanic too, like: RO, Trickster, Tibia and really annoyed me not being able to carry all the stuff i wanted.

well there will be some classes who actually carry the storage with them (Squire) , they can also make portable bases (w/ 1 hour cool down on skills) so weight really isn’t an issue , that and considering almost every map has a statue to easily teleport back , its fine.

That and weight is tied to Con, which is a good stat no matter the class. as it adds HP

con also increase max weight though

but a stronger person can carry more…

You could also say a smarter guy could find a way to make items lighter? magic? condense the item?

Archers though are screwed lol

I dont see why, i carry all i need and still have spare space to grab the loot and all the crap that drop for me, and by the time i need repair my gear, im still have half of my weight in space free on my ranger.

I meant that more as a lategame/endgame concern though, where we are supposed to stay hours upon hours inside of difficult dungeons with a party, grinding levels and equipment or other materials.

Also, even if there is no practical drawback right now, doesn’t mean it’s not a flawed system. If no class ever reaches the point where they need to add more Str or Con, then the system is meaningless and only there for flavor. If it does reach that point, then the system is a hindrance, and should be looked into, because of the reasons I stated in the first post (imo, of course).

Hours after hours with broken gear? lol, you eventualy have to go back to city to repair and resupply so its not a concern.

You can carry a LOT of stuff without being over limit and no investment. Trust me. Also, there are weight limit increasing items in the game. Also, CON is the weight limit increasing stat.

2 Likes

I prefer a stat based inventory system over a pay $5 to get an additional inventory row system that most mmo’s do nowadays. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

if you’re really going to for the long haul grind and hunt, a squire is mandatory, he has storage, a portable “inn” , can cook, and even repair stuff

I prefer this system than how other MMOs have a max inventory slot (usually like what, 10 slots?).

Giving props to the Squire class!

1 Like

I would think that a feature isn’t just there for its own sake.

Weight being tied chiefly to STR is likely there as both a balancing mechanism amongst classes, especially for long-haul grinds and extended adventures, as well as an enabler for the Squire class which would presumably carry his repair station/portable inn/etc.

It also may tie into the weight of armor itself, as plate armor is surprisingly heavy, and low STR builds would likely not be able to capitalize on it (Or would, at grievous cost to their inventory space) even if they could equip it.

Most classes will use either STR or CON. So won’t have to sacrifice much to get that weight limit. I don’t see this as much of an issue. Weight mechanics is always good in a game where the amount of consumables you can carry impacts performance (especially in Guild PvP, in the future perhaps).

1 Like

it’s just like real life and make perfect sense, i know you want to show that its unfair. but please think about this:
did people who go to library and do not train their strength would carry as much weight with people who usually exercise about their strength when they go to mountain for 3 day without rest?
i said without rest , because in real life resting make it fair for people’s different strength but in tos it would be funny if in middle of grinding your character fainted because carrying too much weight

1 Like

One of my favourite features from RO, glad to see that it’s in ToS. c:

If you want more space, sacrifice other stats for STR. Having variety is great in a world where games make everything pretty much exactly the same. I never had issues with it on RO. Also, like someone else said, would you prefer max slots, where you can carry either 10 different kinds of flowers or 10 different kinds of armors in your bag? 8D Where’s the sense in that? You also said that potspam isn’t necessary or possible, so why do you have a burning need to have tons of space?

Inventory based on stats is a really common system. Its used in literally thousands of rpgs. I don’t see a problem with it.

This. Be thankful that inventory slots won’t be much of a (cash-grab) issue in this game. What I really hate about the slots-based inventory is when they start giving us those special event items which tend to eat up a lot of inventory space.