Tree of Savior Forum

How to sell a circle reset?

Hello, IMC.

So, you want to make money, right? And ppl (mostly, secretly) want circle resets. Question is - how not to break a game with such feature? For reasons. Least of them - obviously, there are job-changes that are questionable (crafting professions), but that’s not really a problem in my book if the actual process of job change requires effort.

There’s also a problem of perception. Lots of ppl perceive circle reset as evil, for various reasons. Thus, worsening sales. To change the way they perceive it, why not change the nature of what they’re buying entirely?

So, if you are at least able to deal with the technical aspect of the problem - removal of character levels, experience, circle(s), then I have a suggestion for you:

A consumable item bought from a TP Shop, that, upon consumption, gives you an open-world quest for a rebirth (you can even throw in some valkyries, eh?). Quest should be open-world because any instanced dungeon will mean player can lose his money and never complete quest because of connection or just not being able to complete the dungeon for various reasons. Quest should contain replayable cutscenes with auto-levelled enemies.

Pls also note either Rebirth TP Item or the Rebirth Process should also require player to remove any shops, leave or disbang guild, leave a party and etc. before being usable.

When the quest is finished, player is being Reborn. Rebirth does several things:

• unequips all items
  • memorizes his level and job level at the moment the rebirth process started
  • memorizes all of his attribute investments, so that if player chooses the same profession, he doesn’t lose invested attribs
  • memorizes all cards in card slots, cards “return” with the card slots when you rise to next circle later
  • returns character to level 1, circle 1, job level 1.
  • sets a huge exp gain boost (~x100 or smth) for this particular character until abovementioned level is reached again, from both cards and hunting monsters
  • restricts use of Rebirth TP Item until the exp boost expires

A result for a player: a new quest + an opportunity to relive your character, grind some mobs for adventure rating, find some hidden quests, get some collections you missed, etc, etc, while also fixing some grave mistake you made. You will not get your quests reset of course, but will still be able to use any cards you saved up + grind more in the process thx to Wings of Vibora.

A result for u: you will probably sell even more circle resets this way than if you were selling the one that would’ve just done everything instantly. Also free “new” content for players and no “psychological jobchange problem” (players stop playing their chars when they are able to jobchange and skillreset too often because they lose a feeling of psychological connection to them). A game will still punish a player for testing out something weird and, at the same time, will encourage him to try that reset and relive the char, possibly finding new hidden quests and other missed content.

Sophisticated? Hell yeah. But I’m sure it’ll sell good. So do you care for a game enough to give it such a nice feature, huh?

Thank you for your time.

@STAFF_Max @hkkim

1 Like

How to sell a circle reset?

You Don’t

THE END

“THE MOMENT YOU STOP THINKING ‘THAT WOULD BE FUN’ AND START THINKING ‘THAT WOULD MAKE ME MONEY’, YOU HAVE LOST YOURSELF…”

5 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You still secretly want em :slight_smile:

“THE MOMENT YOU STOP THINKING ‘THAT WOULD BE FUN’ AND START THINKING ‘THAT WOULD MAKE ME MONEY’, YOU HAVE LOST YOURSELF…”

Heya, good morning, dear. You are playing this game cuz somebody somewhere makes money. Go play free indie platformers if you dislike it. Real games are industry. Accept it or take your denial somewhere else.

Jeez, kids running from reality this dayz…

I’m pro circle resets ^o.o^

It encourages player retention. Instead of feeling completely hopeless if their build doesn’t work out how they imagined it or if their build is nerfed/changed by IMC in a way they no longer enjoy playing, they’ll have a means of making adjustments with a circle-reset feature.

Without it, new players are pretty much required to study/theorycraft a build within their chosen class in order to obtain the desired playstyle, and are discouraged from experimenting with different kinds of builds that may actually prove to be effective.

As things are right now, people go meta builds because they’re safe and because they work for the current content. Very few people will experiment different kinds of builds because it means committing hundreds of hours to something that may not be very effective. This isn’t a very casual-friendly approach and stifles player retention.

Just my opinion anyways ^o.o^

People want to put new lights on old problems. Well… I hope the flame war doesn’t start.

Just want to point a few things.

This is good actually. Studying what you want is not something to be seen as bad.

Would you drive a car without learning first?

This can be said as a somewhat good point. But from my vision, trial and error are the way to success. And sometimes, a “wrong” build can be fixed.

Funny enough, I see more “non-meta” builds than anything (regarding what I remember as meta).

Like you said. This is just my vision on it.

1 Like

That point would hold more water if a player playing the game had the resources to study the classes within the game itself, not relying on fan-sites or reddits.

The problem is, even to this day, we don’t have all the information for each class and what can and can’t be done… so studying will only get you so far. On ToSBase for example, Rodelero C3 uptime and damage increase from High Kick is unlisted, but someone going a Strike-build may want to know if its worth investing into or not before planning out their build.

That coupled with the fact that the skills you see in the next circle of a Class you’re advancing to don’t tell you how they grow per level, or passive traits of the class.

It’s definitely not casual-friendly, and having the option to circle reset in case someone does make a mistake regardless of research, is a better option for player retention.

As things are right now, the game encourages playing safe builds… so even if someone does study a build, its likely a meta one and not something they simply thought would be effective.

Sometimes a wrong build can be fixed, but if it can’t be fixed, the player has no choice but to reroll with the current system. This isn’t good if the player has already invested a lot of hours into the character and they are a casual player, because it is extremely discouraging to have to repeat the same exact quests/grind that you did before just to get back to the point you were already at and enjoy the game.

This is good actually. Studying what you want is not something to be seen as bad.

Would you drive a car without learning first?

Lol at this Statment, Thing about a car is when a new one comes in you can trade in your old one to have the price adjusted. Can you do that for your character? As much as you want to say “study” there is only so much you can do, as new circles are opening some become usless which give player the option of remaking or quiting. That dues to how the community views classes.

All in all I think a circle reset should be there or hell even just a job wipe keeping the characters base level would be acceptable as well.

I see your point. It is indeed true that the game lacks a LOT on info about the classes, the advancememt thing can’t be counted as useful in any way.

Most of the classes knowledge is on the forums (and on other sites that help with information on skills and numbers).

Well… even then. IMC never said anything about it, and the majority (on the older discussion) didn’t want it.

There were no ideas that (for me) were good enough.

Edit: The best one that I saw was the testing room idea.

And even if IMC made something like that. The price? 50$? Limits? Pets (if they have) would be affected?

Well, I just wanted to say that bit. I will end here and see their response.

And.

@aujlasumeet

Who said something about old car, new car?

My question was for, would you drive a car without learning (to drive) first?..

I respect your opinion and I understand the cons of a circle reset as well.

How it would be implemented, and what kind of effect it would have on the market with crafting classes (although it already feels quite saturated atm anyways, but that’s besides the point).

Despite the cons, I really do hope IMC implements it to keep casuals interested in playing even if they do mess up and feel the need to change something about their build, without being discouraged from having to invest the same time/quest/grind to get where they currently are at.

2 Likes

And so do I. And I know that investing so much time on a character and having to cast it aside is really sad (and a waste too). I too am a player with few hours to spare, and can see the side of those who support.

I’m not a hardcore anti-reset person. To be honest, I am just against because it is not a well shaped idea yet.

If someome gives (or IMC) an idea that covers the blurry topics and is solid, I will support it, and even make use of it (depending on the price, or the conditions).

I’m on the street now, can’t fix typos, don’t want to be ran over.

And it was nice to have a proper discussion with someone, as a change.

2 Likes

I like the idea you have and I’m also for a circle reset. And I have to idea why they are so hated…
There are some problem with circle reset of course.

I’d say they have to limit the amount of circle reset for a set interval so that you can just “repair” single circles of your build. This will prevent people from rerolling multiple times a day depending on their activities (Boss Hunting, ET, GvG/PvP).

But my biggest concern is not only that you are scared of trying something completely new it’s more of a gamble because we play an unfinished game and we have no idea what the currently unfinished classes will get when they release a new circle.
I’d like to have some kind of a limited, payed circle reset or a free reset for the last to circles for each character when they release a new cicle that may change everything.

1. Player buys circle reset item from tp shop
  2. Player uses that item
  3. A menu similar to the class advancement menu is brought up
  4. There, each of your classes you’ve chosen are highlighted and can be clicked on. The other class options are greyed out and cannot be clicked on.
  5. After selecting a class, say a rank 3 one, a new class advancement menu is brought up with rank 3 or lower class options.
  6. After selecting your desired class to replace your rank 3 choice, a confirmation dialog will appear to confirm the class you want to give up in exchange for the new one.
  7. After confirming, the item will be consumed and you will receive the appropriate class advancement quest from that class master
  8. After completing the quest, you will gain a second class exp bar appropriate for that rank, above your current class exp bar.
    8a) If the rank you choose is the same as your current rank, then you don’t gain a second exp bar. It will just reset your class level to 1.
  9. Now, defeating enemies and using exp cards will divide exp between both bars equally
  10. After reaching class lv15 with your new class, that second class exp bar will disappear and you will continue to receive class exp for your current rank as normal.
  11. You cannot use more than 1 of these items at once (or can, whatever imc wants)

I believe such an item will be necessary when IMC introduces rank 8 and makes players want to revise their build.

1 Like

most nurses don’t work for the money cause the pay is ■■■■, nor does it a clown nor a royal guard…

not everyone in this world is a greedy bastard, am sure as hell I didn’t became a environmental scientist for the money :unamused:

Are you suggesting to reset back to lvl 1 rank 1 and have to relevel again? i like this. Not with 100x xp though thats stupid. Maybe 100% bonus at most. Im not sure if this should be a paid feature though.

Also you might want to change the title from circle reset to rebirth or something… not really a circle reset.

1 Like

My main problem with any Circle reset that doesn’t also fully reset your character overall is that people will abuse it by choosing easy-to-level builds until they get to lategame, and then reset and go with that really good lategame, but hell to level early build.

If you want to make a build that is great lategame but not so good before then, you should have to suffer through it.

This is perfect but they might need to limit the uses so that you dont use it to fullfill every roll at any time :slight_smile:

But I like the whole idea and I agree that they need to implement some kind of reset for at least rank 6 and 7 when die deploy rank 8.

Thats why they have to limit it somehow especially for crafting classes.
But I think that is fine as long as you need to grind all job levels for that specific cycle that has been resettet.

So a man trying to earn for a living is a greedy bastard? Riiight.
You miss the point. It’s true that best business motivation is not monetary. But those good games require a lot of money to live long and apply those patches faster. Thus, I want IMC to be wealthy af.

look who’s typing :unamused: