Tree of Savior Forum

~✞ ✞ ✞ Here lies Monk ✞ ✞ ✞~

Haha the only decent skill in Monk class is Palm Strike. Double Punch eh, just take 1 point to destroy structures faster. One-Inch Punch’s damage itself is bad, but the Silence is nice. Its HP and SP drain also benefits from Strike debuffs, damage buffs and can also crit (IIRC). Whether to use all 4 overheats in one go or 1 overheat until debuff runs out though brings up another question …

Energy Blast’s DPS is meh given the amount of time Monks need to charge, position, and channel the skill. Its damage is only worth it if the enemy is weak to holy or if the enemy has Divine Stigma debuff haha. Can’t even benefit fully from Golden Bell “Shield” due to the amount of time needed to use Energy Blast.

Sad that Monk with only DPS going for it is losing out on DPS against other classes that has a lot more utility going for it to benefit the party, along with the damage it has.

I don’t care how garbage Monk is. If IMC makes the Double Punch stance hide his weapon, I’m happy. It’s way too awkward watching the Monk holding a mace without actually using it. Please make him an official fist user already.

I can’t agree with everything here but yeah, sometime imc is horrible at balancing.
I’mHorribleToo//////

Anyone have any idea when will the Energy Blast: Remove Knockback attribute and God Finger Flick increased debuff duration kick in to iToS from kTest?

Can’t count enough how many players I see in parties just stand still and watch in silent protest whenever I see Energy Blast and Hand Knife being used on mobs.

:sad:

Only Monk build that proved to somewhat be viable was with Krivis and Inquisitor. Tried to go with Chaplain Inquisitor and the only exciting thing with that is mixing the wheel and double punch. At least with Krivis and Inquisitor you can mark enemies as demons, divine stigma them and do energy blast. Once that’s done, bring out the Inquisitor skills and basically repeat.

I went with Krivis Monk Zealot, also seems viable.

I’m just waiting for what IMC has in store for Monk and Sadhu synergy or whatever they were talking about in the latest kTest Dev Notes (I used a gimmick Sadhu Monk build in the past).

How did i missed this gem for so long? Anyway, monk does need more work than a simple fix so i’ll just do as the others and point out an interesting rework direction.

Monk does lack an identity and having it to be the combo class in Cleric can work perfectly if done to be inclusive on the gameplay and use more combination options as well. Personally i think Monk could make use of something as simple as operating with different animation speed.

Hand Knife/Iron Skin/Golden Bell Shield/God Finger Flick - Removed. Those skills have quite some potential on their own but won’t fit as well in a more combo oriented playstyle. Hand Knife in particular could work but may disrupt the visual flow which can impact how satisfying the class can be to play as.

Double Punch - 1 lvl - Adds an additional attack line with 100% PAtk factor. If the first attack deals critical damage so will be the second hit, else it will have critical rate calculated again. Could be given as a free skill as many other 1 point skills should.

Palm Strike - 15 lvl - Applies a debuff that has all strike damage to ignore a % of PDef. The next monk skill used within 3s after Palm Strike will have the animation shorted to factor attack speed and additional critical rate.

"Hidden Fist" - 15 lvl - Strikes while blocking incoming damage. Block chance is increased and applied during the skill animation regardless of weapon setup. Cannot be knocked back and knocked down during the animation.

"Punish" - 15 lvl - Long attack streak (7~8 hits) that uses two handed blunt in conjunction with punches to deal damage, when used after Palm Strike or “Tri-Fang Strike” it will have the animation speed to be hasted/slowed further by each additional hit.

"Tri-Fang Strike" - 10 lvl - Hits 3 times swiftly. The next monk skill used within 3s after “Tri-Fang Strike” will have animation time doubled and have extra efficiency on both damage and effect (+50~100%).

Energy Blast - 10 lvl - Channeling time shortened and fixed at 4s, deals additional damage based on user SPR. Isn’t affected by Palm Strike and “Tri-Fang” Strike post use effects.

One Inch Punch - 5 lvl - Apply strike damage debuff as well. Could receive an attribute to apply a fastening regeneration buff to allies with additional healing based on PAtk.

The main dynamic with this kind of setup is to play with strategy, luck and rotations, two speed control effects can be enough to provide the combo aspect in a simple way without the need of a huge array of special conditions to be triggered in order to use additional effects. Speeding up the animation in itself is a huge benefit for a fast paced gameplay and having a small bonus in critical rate is the extra incentive needed, in addition it makes Double Punch more effective as the skill downtime also increases. On the other side increasing skill execution time can be riskier as it puts the user on a commitment position that can be wasted completely if the user gets controlled or if the enemy walks away of it, additional damage is a fitting reward for this gamble specially when it can use SP more efficiently.

I’m skeptical of IMC pulling out a rework that will be as simple as this but i don’t mind as long as they nail the class feel and give it a proper identity.

2 Likes

I think, monk must has skills to give him mobilty, like jumps or tp, not just speed or strenght, also agilty and why not flexibility (some buff to dodge), in that way monk could be more similar to a Martial Artist and doesn’t look as he was fighting with a wooden dummy.

Monk’s skill set right now is just not equipped for the close-range martial artist job haha. Apparently IMC plans to add synergy with Monk and Chaplain (and with Sadhu and Chaplain), though the only thing in common with Chaplain and those 2 classes are Double Punch and Out-of-Body (weakest skill in their respective classes).

Really wishing for a rework for the class instead of such synergies, the class’s problems aren’t just damage numbers and major buffs and changes are needed.

Druid got a major overhaul, why can’t monk? Druid was even getting use BEFORE its overhaul.

Everything is in the decision of IMC I guess, I just wish there are kToS and kTest players who can feedback about Monk but I know there are little to no Monk players there to tell IMC that Monk is dead now in Re:Build.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.