Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

I would change the build to get Double Pay Earn, it is an amazing skill for getting more EXP and farming. Mordschlag at level 5 is bad.

I would also get 1 point into Long Stride.

Stat build it is fine if you want to follow that ratio of 4 STR : 2 CON : 1 DEX.

You usually want to keep your DEX at around 50 on that build, then CON to your liking (30~100 or maybe even more) and the rest into STR, which should be at least 400~450 at Rank 7.

If you are already at Hoplite C3, then you don’t have too many options.

If you just want to mess around on duels then taking Cataphract C1 is alright.

Just beware that Korea is getting a +30% resistance to status effects when dashing, that would make Cataphract C1 in this build pretty much useless because dashing would always be the better way to move around in PvP, making Corsair C1 a much better option if we do get that same change in our version.

If you go with Hoplite C3->Doppel->Dragoon you don’t have any hard CC on your build or mobility, which means that you won’t be very good on PvP by yourself, but you would be able to shine when paired with other classes in a party for either group PvP or GvG (like I said, Chronomancer and Plague Doctor will make a huge difference in here).

Each path has it’s risks, because of the possible future balance changes that could happen and those changes will make or break builds. So you have to decide which one you want to adventure yourself into.

Thank you very much for the help and fast reply^^

i didn’t like hoplite as a whole, i mean his skills and playstyle,i found it to be too static and to rely on auto atk too much(i already have a QS for that ;<)

btw i guess i’ll just wait until i have some free time/lust and start a new character to go SW>PELT>HOP>CATA3>DRAGOON or maybe i’ll wait for the new classes to be released and see how they are

Yeah, it doesn’t change too much until you get to Doppel/Dragoon, then the build gets “fun”. But at least you already have a Hoplite C2 character which can then go onto C3->Doppel->Dragoon, Corsair C2, Shinobi, etc. Whenever you feel like leveling it up or once you know which Rank 8 class to aim for.

(I do say on my guide that Hoplite is mainly auto-attack though!).

i’ve always liked spear(good old day in monster hunter) so i wanted to give it a try :slight_smile:

@Cathexis

Of cata1 corsair1 dopple1 into dragoon which one would be best at dueling?

My english is low-mid.
A composition Swordman C1-Peltasta C1-Hoplite C3-Corsair C2. How is the class tree??

@Cathexis sorry for the late reply, thank you for your detailed reply and yes I have just noticed that buff for swordman class u mentioned:

[Swordsman Classes in General]*
- Whilst sprinting, you now also gain a 30% Resistance to negative status ailments. [quote=“Cathexis, post:1504, topic:153860”]
If you are already at Hoplite C3, then you don’t have too many options.

If you just want to mess around on duels then taking Cataphract C1 is alright.

Just beware that Korea is getting a +30% resistance to status effects when dashing, that would make Cataphract C1 in this build pretty much useless because dashing would always be the better way to move around in PvP, making Corsair C1 a much better option if we do get that same change in our version.

If you go with Hoplite C3->Doppel->Dragoon you don’t have any hard CC on your build or mobility, which means that you won’t be very good on PvP by yourself, but you would be able to shine when paired with other classes in a party for either group PvP or GvG (like I said, Chronomancer and Plague Doctor will make a huge difference in here).

Each path has it’s risks, because of the possible future balance changes that could happen and those changes will make or break builds. So you have to decide which one you want to adventure yourself into.
[/quote]

As u have said, after this patch sprinting is better for us, which make hoplite 3 build almost as effective as cata 3 (group pvp & gvg aspects, ressistance vs mobility), cata 3 is still a slightly better due to cc stun chance in rush and impale (let’s forget about restrain from sword 3 for now…)

- The Attack Power gained from the STR stat will be increased by 30%

Another buff that I think would boost STR:CON Hoplite 3 build, since we don’t need to put dex more than cata3 build, we can even make full str build.

As a conclusion hop3 vs cata3 = tank with dps vs cc mobile fighter

@fatedhour cata1 trot lvl 5 can be replaced with sprinting due to the latest buff (sweet ressistance); cata1 have impaler (cc) & earth wave (low level and it’s not charge skills compared with doppel’s cyclone), gap closer: sprint ressistance vs trot lvl 5.

Not sure about which 1 best at 1v1 pvp, as well as group pvp/gvg:

• hop3>doppel/cors>drag got sprint ressistance & high dps
  • hop3>cata1>drag got a bit of mobility & dps from lunge & passive for using 2H spear (hop lunge, cata & dragoon passive treat) @Cathexis DPS wise compared with hop3>dop>drag (2H spear passive only from dragoon)?

*Kr patch notes are quoted from @thailehuy thread

Man…u make me think to revert back to sw>pelt>hop2>cors1>dop>dragoon
lol

@Cathexis

What is the main use of spear throw? I get its filler but in boss fights it takes really long to cast and prevents me from dodging. So its mostly used for soloing right? Also does sprinting has it uses in fights or its only for map crossing?

I just wanna say DPE IS A GOD BUFF

It doubles every merc run
helps with hunting materials

and most of all

IT GOT ME TWO VENIER RECIPE MY GOD!

1 Like

Welcome. First off, I must express my respect and gratitude for the aurhors work - exceptional work. Now, I would like you ask for a comment on my debelopement sketch. http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/l1zmzkk4nf/

The idea us to make a fun to play and usable 2h sword user ( never managed to make one in RO - ended up with boring concentration builds and switched to spears which I’m not fond of)

Now, the reasons bebind my choices: Highlander over Peltasta (the hardest choice was to give up the taunt). Simply C1 because I only want Crown (shock) and 2h crit attr. Barb c3 because diablo 2 sentiment (joke:). But srsly, for more shock and aoe skills plus taunt for utility and some dmg skills and giant swing for fun plus for rare occasions. Lastly doppel. I am unsure if I should put more into frenzy. Also I would like your honest opinnion about viability and good stat choices (high str plus some dex and some con?). Party in not an issue - I play with friends. They are comprehencive RO veterans. Cheers!

I think this would fit your skill set better

Warcry is something you will want as barb, it isn’t always ready due to high cooldown, but during the uptime you get a HUGE boost with a click. Bash 3 and 1 Wagon Wheel are your solo tools for high level mob locking.

And yes, this is more of a common build at the moment compared to Highlander 3 because people seem to have felt the nerf on Highlander that wasn’t needed.

You don’t need a lot of points in helm chopper with that build, you have cartar stroke to support your lacking strike types.

1 Like

Thanks for the swift reply. I am concerened about the number of active skills. Isn’t there too many?Won’t bash fall off later for better skills? Isn’t wagon wheel similar to giant swing? Won’t I end up using mostly doppel skills in the end, using barb for stun synergies mostly?

I am also concerned about lack of flexibility. It’s all so 2h sword oriented with little space for diversity. But on the other hand I’ve no interest in PVP, only PvE really.

Bash and Wagon Wheel isn’t used for damage, mainly for their disabling capabilities. You will get what I mean when you reach on monsters with terribly high HP and damage, you’d prefer to disable>attack>attack>disable>repeat than attacking it to death while receiving a fair amount of damage from mobs.

Your knockdowns from Bash+stuns from barb and you could clean up nicely with only losing minimal to no hp at all

Will you trade CAT2 for Doppel?

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite 1 -> Cat 1 ->Corsair 1-> Doppel1-> Dragoon1

Hi @Cathexis

I’m already swordsman C2 honestly and I want a rapier build.

I was planning to go:

Swordsman 2 > Hoplite 1 > Bar 2 > Highlander 1> Fencer 1?

What do you think =/. I was planning to switch weapons after applying finestra. Do the same with Cross Guard.

Actually changed my mind. How about this @_@

1. What’s the minim req to get high crit rate
  2. And then how much should i put in CON. Thank you so much =="

Depends on your skill as a player, but most likely Corsair or Cataphract for just dueling.

Give it a try and link your build here, but overall it is better to do Hoplite C2->Corsair C2 and then pick something better for Rank 7 like Dragoon, Doppelsoeldner or Shinobi.

Hoplite C3 doesn’t add much to the build compared to those other options.

Mobbing pretty much.

It has a pretty big AoE area and it is a good damage dealing ability when you get it at Rank 5 and stays relevant during Rank 6 too.

So I would say dungeons, grinding parties and whenever you need to fill your rotation with more damage against a medium~big number of mobs.

You can use sprinting to move out of the AoE’s of bosses faster. That gives you a bigger time window to attack before they do it again.

Besides what @Lostac already said, here is my take on the build:

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/jqytjx6673/

Main difference is:

• You must get Double Pay Earn. It is too good to not take it right now, especially with this build that will rely on missions to level up at higher levels you will get double EXP from them with this skill. It is also pretty great for farming and if you find a blue/silver/gold mob then this just makes it even better.

• Poncing at level 5 helps with missions, but it isn’t required. You can leave it at level 1 and use those extra 4 points into Cleave or Helm Chopper.

This is a very weird build, experimental I would say, with an emphasis of trying to succeed at PvP. At least you have multiple options to use during combat, so I think it isn’t so bad.

I meant a more traditional route like:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Doppel, Dragoon or Shinobi

But if you are willing to give up some of your PvE (mainly Spear Lunge) for being able to use the Cataphract skills for PvP, then I think it is worth a try.

Just be aware of what you are giving up for trying out this build.

You can’t use Finestra with other weapons that are not spear. Swordsman C2 isn’t that far in, so you could always make a new character.

Otherwise if you would like to continue with this one, then you can do:

Rapier build with Peltasta

• Swordsman C2->Highlander C2->Peltasta->Fencer->Doppelsoeldner or Fencer C2

Spear build with Peltasta

• Swordsman C2->Hoplite C2->Peltasta->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon

Spear build without Peltasta

• Swordsman C2->Hoplite C1->Cataphract C3->Dragoon

or

Swordsman C2->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Doppelsoeldner or Dragoon

Which is the build you linked. In which case I would make a few changes:

• Lower Gung Ho to level 6 and Concentrate to level 5
  • Get Bash at level 3
  • Pain Barrier at level 10
  • Pommel Beat at level 1
  • Spear Lunge at level 1 (IMPORTANT!)
  • Synchro Thrusting at level 1
  • Long Stride down to level 1 and give those points to Pierce instead (Level 8)
  • Unlock Chest to level 0 (give that point to Dust Devil at level 1)
  • Jolly Roger to level 10 (take points from Keel Hauling, so down to level 4)
  • Keel Hauling can stay at level 1 if you want and use those points on Iron Hook instead if you would like to focus more on the hooking 3 targets at the same time aspect of Iron Hook.

I am not sure what you mean by this question. But if you are asking about DEX, then with this particular build you are looking to have somewhere around 100~150 total DEX, depending on whether or not you want an Evasion build or not.

If you are a new player, you should aim to have somewhere between 20~30 total CON points at level 50 for the level 50 dungeon. That should put you over 5k HP which is more than enough for a new player going into their first dungeon run as a Swordsman.

After that you can skip putting points into CON until level 180~200+ and you can add them to your liking, depending on the amount of HP you want to have.

@Cathexis

Which part needs skill for cata and corsair?

Also, in what way is long stride currently bugged?