Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

@Cathexis hi, i thinking about how to build a ‘‘pvp-oriented’’ warrior, actually i building higlander>barb>barb c2>corsair>future corsair c2, and thinking what will be better on the next rank(doppel,corsair c3,fencer,shinobi) any tips? :pand about rank7, dragoon can be a good choice? thx if u can reply me.
ps:sorry for my very bad english :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Cathexis, Thank you for the great guide.

I have a few questions, I would like to go to 2Sw->2Bar->2Cor-1Dopple.
My question is “Swash Buckling” skill is important for swordsman?

I worried about without this skill, it will ok for the party?

Thank you.

Back again and in need of advice

I decided I will play this after my templar is done -

I just have a few questions

1. I want to cover every aspect of this game with this character but I am unsure if my skill build is good. (Bossing,pve,pvp)
  2. Going all around stats good? Str/Dex with abit of con to the side.
  3. Is Corsair worth it vs Barbarian C1 ? Since I saw the latest KR update the cleave buff is really interesting, (I really like Jolly Roger and Corsair Costume)

Well that’s it for the questions for now.

Thanks! What gem should I put in my arde dagger? (i’m hoplite 2/corsair 1 (planning to go corsair 2 into dragoon) doing the all rounder stat distribution.

Hey, Thanks for your quick reply, but i am still confused.

Currently i am level 124 at rank 4,
My stats without equipment is, 182, 9, 3, 3, 50.
I have only pumped stats into STR and DEX.

Using the stat calculator, i pumped 37 points into DEX to get 50, and the other 86 into STR, but it only amounted to 146.

I tried calculating the bonus stat points but failed.

Hello Cathexis
First let me just say thank you for the guide, it has helped me and others a great deal!
Anyhow, between your guide and autentist (which a thank you should go out to autentist also) I personally am wondering if everything in your guide is still up to date in your personal preferences vs when you made the guide.
As of right now my build is Sword>pelt>hopC2 and am alittle torn between trying autentist corsairC2>dragoon build (which i do see afew more swordies doing this), and the hopC3>dopp>dragoon build. I was wondering (this is my first and only char for now and don’t really wanna stray to another till farther along this one) if you might give some input in which path might be better suited for a new player, as well as which attributes to get first for each circle. I do plan on wanting to PvP eventually and it seems like CC for the hopC3>dopple>dragoon is alittle lacking, however as it is my first character I feel as though I should prob be focused on clearing PvE content more.
Both classes (dopple Vs. corsair) seem to have their own way of gaining abit more loot, but dopple needs to last hit to gain which makes me feel as though corsair would have an easier time farming loot (no 2x exp though). As for dmg, dopple seems to have the upperhand in AoE dmg, while corsair has Hexen and seems to be abit more 1v1 oriented but lacking in the AoE dept.
Originally I started the build with boss killing in mind to clear PvE content alittle better and to have a char who was DPS oriented.
Just abit torn…can you tell?
(just looted an arde this morning and kinda made me feel like I should pick my path now)
Any advice would be nice, and thanks again for all you have done for the ToS swordies out there.

Thanks Cathexis so much for creating an excellent guide! I’m very new to TOS and I’ll be playing once the game launches in 2 weeks time. Before it does though, I wanted to start figuring out how I wanted to create my swordsman. After lots of thought I think I’ve decided to try building a tanky fencer focusing 100% on PVE. I’ll probably be engaging in a mix between solo and duo play alongside my brother who will be making an archer of some sort. With that in mind, I created a build that I would very much appreciate advice and feedback on. I highly doubt the points are distributed well, considering I made it after going through 500+ comments and my brain is mush…

After going through the comments and not finding anything addressing this specific build path I went to Autentist’s thread and found this:

I would like to know if the former is reasonable to use and how it compares to the latter. Should I just use the latter instead? Or could the first one work if some points were rearranged? If you could provide some input on why certain allocations would work better that would be great. Thanks!

@Cathexis
Hey buddy , I’m confused with this build . Is it feasible utilize this training for my sword aimed pve ? If so , I can focus more dex;str that to him? Thanks for help.

It’s pretty hard to understand your lanuage, but it’s better to get Peltasta instead of Highlander, IMO. Highlander here would be decent only if you use 2H sword, and is pretty useless for corsair.

You can focus on DEX or STR on your preference, though STR heavy build will bring more damage.

1 Like

Guys, do you know how many hit does Doppel’s Zucken and Redel does? 5 hits?

How about Dragoon’s Dragoontooth and Serpentine? 4 hits?

Also if the debuff for Cleave going to be coming to iTOS…I will be seriously considering whether to take Dragoon or Doppel C2…

Like this?

And what do you think abou this build, thinking of kToS buff in Cleave +50% slash damage 5s with the High, Corsair and Doppel skill, i think it for pve/pvp, is viable?

I love the Corsair, and i need help with the build xD

Basically everything that needs to be said on this matter.
I actually said somthing along these lines to Autentist myself but he insisted that it was a “tank” build…

The onlything TANKING here is Paltasta
Rodel is weak but heavy CC with focus on interrupting the enemy’s actions

best PVE Fencer is Palasta c1 -> Barb c3 -> Fencer c2 or c1 -> Doppel

Right, but the reason I took rodelero was because of slithering. Given that there is no alternative to dealing with magic, and that magic mobs start to appear more frequently at the higher levels, I figured that going Rodelero would help provide me a small safety net in this case.

Slithering is not good anyway really.
your about as as slow as a snail and no one is going to let you “slither” over to them.
They will just avoid you and kill you when the duration ends, either that or ignore you and kill your team.

it also dose not protect against CC so you can still get frozen and ect while in slithering…

Well, since I will only be focusing on PVE I don’t think I will have to worry about mobs avoiding/ignoring me if I keep up aggro with swash buckling.

There is the lack of CC protection which may be a problem but, having a way to soak up magic damage sounds nice imo. Of course, I can’t really comment on its applications since I haven’t used it myself.

It sounds like you are talking more about PVP purposes. How does the skill fare in PVE content?

still just as mediocre lol.
but do it if you want to

IMO your only wasting your party’s time because the magic mobes will hit you with is not THAT strong that it warrants getting 2 useless circles just to evade some magic every few mobs

Edit:
Its also probably going to b hard to use slithering for mob tanking since you HAVE to move to use meaning you’ll probably lose aggro from moving too far away.

Is this build good? im planing to go with 3:1:1 str con dex stats

In terms of dealing magic atk, which 1 better? hp from plate mastery or magic reduction from cloth mastery? Im thinking to swap plate with cloth, but if plate better than cloth in taking magic damage, i think i will just focus on 1 type.

Fair enough, I was thinking about giving slithering the benefit of the doubt and keeping it as a quality of life tool to use if needed as an option, but if the magic that’s being cast isn’t too bad on damage then I guess its not necessary. Are you able to move forward and backwards, or only in one direction?

hmm…the only other class that I’d like to go would be hoplite, but that doesn’t exactly synergize well with fencer; and I’d much rather keep to the sword & shield archetype just cause I prefer it over spear/shield.

eh…the gimp is real lol…I’ll definitely take a look at barb though. Actually, now that I take a closer look, none of the skills specifically state that I need a 2H so I should still be able to use sword/shield, right? I was under the impression that barb only used 2H’s. Technically speaking its not entirely wrong, considering 2H have a higher base attack, but I digress…still gimping myself. lol

That is fine, it just needs more testing then.

If you are interested in doing that:

You can press F12 inside the game it will automatically record everything until you press the button again

You can find the video at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TreeOfSavior\release\avicapture

After that, you just upload that file to YouTube, pretty much drag and drop.

Uhm, well you already covered a lot of your PvP kit with Highlander, Barbarian and Corsair. So I would say anything goes at that point.

I would say Shinobi, Fencer or Doppel from those 3 are all equally good. Maybe Shinobi allows you to do a few more flashy movements, while Fencer gives you consistent damage and Doppel has Cyclone which just destroys people if you manage to land it on them.

So I would say go for the one you like the most.

I would say it does more for your build than Swordsman C2 as it allows you to have a different playing style and taunt for your parties in PvE.

It depends on how highly you consider party play for your playing experience and you reasoning behind taking Swordsman C2.

It covers everything but having the AoE taunt from Peltasta for party play in PvE.

Since you want to cover PvP too, then I would say it is the better way to go for your build.

For PvP Corsair C1 does more than Barbarian C1. However, IF/when we get that buff in our version, then Barbarian C1 would be a better option for PvE since you are taking Doppel C2 on your build.

I probably wouldn’t use any gems on Arde since you most likely will replace it with Karacha in the near future.

But if you want to place a low level gem on it then I would say Green for Critical Rate.

The overflow of points that you have comes from the bonus points you get from statues, quests, etc.

Pretty much, nothing major has changed and we haven’t had any balance changes yet.

Both builds are on my recommended builds section.

I would say that since you want to cover PvP, then you just want to make a slight modification:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Dragoon or Doppelsoeldner

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon

That way you can cover PvP while still having the option of picking Doppelsoeldner or Dragoon (or both), depending on your preference.

You pretty much covered the advantages and disadvantages of both builds which mainly comes down to short range burst DPS or mobile AoE DPS. Pick the one that is more appealing to you, as either one will result in a good build.

Both are pretty much the same since they share the same classes, there are just a slightly differences in skill points allocated.

Your only “mistake” is that you were slightly deceived by the damage from some skills which in practice aren’t as strong as others since they only deal 1 hit compared to multiple ones. Also, High Guard has level 3 on the other build mainly because of it’s attribute which is unlocked at that level.

If you want my take on this build, I would suggest this:

Swordsman->Peltasta C2->Rodelero C2->Fencer C2

However, since you are taking Peltasta C2 and Rodelero C2, I believe that you would just get more value for your build if you picked either Doppelsoeldner (for Cyclone’s AoE and to increase your DPS) or Peltasta C3 (for level 15 Swash Buckling), instead of Fencer C2.

Something like:

Swordsman->Peltasta C2->Rodelero C2->Fencer->Doppelsoeldner

or

Swordsman->Peltasta C2->Rodelero C2->Fencer->Peltasta C3

The main differences are:

• High Guard is usually level 3+ because of it’s attribute that is unlocked past that level.
  • Shield Bash is mainly maxed out because of the damage it deals.
  • Attaque Coquille is mainly leveled up because of the duration increase (it starts at 5 seconds and increases by 1 second every level). But I personally prefer to leave it at level 1 because of it’s short cooldown (8 seconds).
    It only deals 1 hit, so it is very good to deal damage.
  • Some people prefer to leave Flanconnade at level 1 to avoid increase it’s SP cost (since it is a 0 cool-down skill). This is a good option if you would rather use those points for Coquille.
  • Attaque Composee is usually given more priority than Flanconnade because it scales better in damage and you can use it to deal more damage in combination with Coquille (which increases damage from Pierce-type skills).
  • Preparation is usually taken from level 1 to 5 because of it’s utility. I personally leave it at 1 because I think it is better to increase the damage of other skills.
  • Sept Etoiles deals 7 hits, that is mainly why it is usually given more points rather than leave it at level 1.

Yeah, you are able to use every skill of Barbarian with any weapon.

If it is for PvE, I would suggest you to pick Peltasta instead of Highlander since it is more useful for party content.

I would also suggest you to pick Hoplite instead of Barbarian for PvE, but if you don’t want to use a spear then it is fine to take Barbarian.

For your stats, if you want an evasion build then you give priority to DEX, otherwise you can follow an All-Around build with a focus on STR or a High STR build if you take Hoplite C2.

Zucken deals 4 hits.
Redel deals 5 hits.
Serpentine deals 4 hits.
Dragontooh deals 5 hits.

Pretty much, the only suggestions I have are:

• Get Umbo Blow and Rim Blow to level 6 if you are planning on using High Guard.
  • I would leave Impale at level 1 and add those points to Doom Spike instead.
  • Get Dragontooth at least at level 1, but I would suggest level 4~5.

I think it is viable, sure. But Barbarian is not doing much since your main Corsair skill is Pierce and the only real damage dealer you can buff is Cyclone, so it is not exactly optimal.

If you want Corsair, I would suggest a standard Hoplite C2 or Barbarian C2 build.

Yeah, it is a good build. Although you might want to consider adding more points into Jolly Roger since it has a higher chance of dropping silver / items at higher levels. But if you are not that interested into that and would rather have Keel Hauling at a higher level for PvP, then that is fine too.

Depends on how high the magic damage is, but overall Plate is better at level 50 because of the extra HP for big hits.

3 Likes