Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

Uh, many ways to go from there:

Swordsman C3->Barbarian C2->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon

Swordsman C3->Barbarian C1->Corsair->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon or Doppelsoeldner

Swordsman C3->Barbarian C1->Corsair C2->Doppelsoeldner or Dragoon

Swordsman C3->Barbarian C2->Fencer C1->Doppelsoeldner or Corsair

Not necessarily a must, but it helps a lot.

Gung Ho generally scales better, but if you are planning on using Guardian most of the time then Concentrate would be better for early levels. I would get Gung Ho because you have the choice of switching between it and Guardian on demand, but it depends on how you are planning on playing.

Barbarian C2 is like 70% PvP - 30% PvE, while Hoplite C2 is 70% PvE - 30% PvP.

I donā€™t think picking one over the other will have an influence on you getting invited to something like Earth Tower. It is usually Peltasta and maybe your high rank class that will give you a better edge in there.

So I say pick the one you like the most.

For your builds:

1st build

• Keep Long Stride at level 1, it is just for utility.
  • Get level 1 of Rim Blow for an extra knock-back.
  • Keep Spear Lunge at level 1 and give those points to Pierce instead because it deals better damage overall.

2nd build

• Get level 1 of Rim Blow for an extra knock-back.
  • Keep Giant Swing at level 1, it is just for utility.
  • You want to get at least level 1 of Zucken.

3rd build

• Same on Rim Blow.
  • Max Stabbing.
  • Same on Spear Lunge, Long Stride, Pierce.
  • You want to have level 1 of Dragon Soar as an extra skill on your kit.

I see all of them being viable, so just pick the one you like the most.

It does.

Mostly depends on your ping, you might or might not see a difference depending on it.

You can still keep a high amount of DEX (around 150) if you choose to, which would leave you with around 180~200+ of STR and some points into CON.

Otherwise you can lower your DEX to 100 and increase STR even more.

Right now they are pretty much equal at higher levels. However, if we get the same buffs that kTOS had for Barbarian, then it will be the better option for sure.

You probably would want to follow a similar distribution to what I previously said.

They both rely on a condition (stunned or bleeding target), which makes they pretty much the same at higher levels. Both are strong with it, but weak without it.

I would probably say the Highlander one or something like:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Shinobi

Not sure if it has changed already, hopefully someone can test this for us.

But before, Jolly Roger only added 5 flat damage instead of %.

As long as you have Peltasta C1 on your build, you have secured your spot in a party.

That is difficult to tell because we donā€™t know what form the GvG meta will take.

I think that from your 3 builds, the first one (Hoplite C2->Corsair C2) or the second one (Barbarian C3->Doppel C2) are most likely the better rounded ones.

That is another option, going into a Cataphract C3 build.

To be honest, all of them are viable in their own way. You already have Peltasta, so you donā€™t have to worry too much about the other things.

Just pick the one you like more between Hoplite and Barbarian and then if you picked Hoplite you can move to either Corsair or Cataphract.

Yeah, that one is good, but you want to get level 1 Rim Blow for an extra knockback.

You can farm bosses from dungeons lower than your level, but world bosses not really.

I think it is viable, but not as good as your other two builds since you are losing Peltasta for it.

Maybe you can also consider something like:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3 or Highlander C3->Fencer->Doppelsoeldner

You will get Swash Buckling for AoE taunting and covering your party needs, Fencer for consistent DPS for a solo player and Barbarian or Highlander covering the rest of the damage sources.

It is viable, but I personally donā€™t really like it because your build becomes very linear and you donā€™t have much flexibility for changing playing styles.

I would highly suggest a normal route of:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Cataphract C3->Templar

Since you cover all your needs of party content with Peltasta, while being able to use 1H Spear+Shield (and block with it) whenever it is required to and still have the flexibility to pull out your 2H spear for dealing damage.

Corsair has better PvP than Fencer while Fencer has more consistent damage than Corsair but it doesnā€™t have as much burst.

However, this is compared to a Hoplite C2->Corsair or a Barbarian C2->Corsair, since you are already at Barbarian C3 then it makes more sense to go for Fencer in your case.

After that you could still pick Shinobi or Corsair at Rank 7 if you are still interested in their skill set.

Yeah, because it still provides more utility at higher levels.

Venier.

Green for more Critical Rate.

It is still a pretty great spear.

But now you want to aim to have a Brandish, since it was bugged during the beta and extremely difficult to acquire. But now the drop rate has been fixed and it is fairly easy to get.

Depends on the +1, but overall it is just better to have a Green Gem on it.

A disadvantage with your first build is that it doesnā€™t have Peltasta, but it is an alright build although Corsair is better paired with Hoplite for PvE unless you really want to focus more on PvP then Barbarian is better.

I think your second build has should replace Barbarian C1 with Highlander C3 because it is not doing much for the build with one circle alone.

Not right now. Maybe in the future?

But I am not too sure if losing Peltasta for Barbarian C1 at Rank 5 is really worth it. The damage increase would be nice, but it is not doing anything too drastic in your build.

Really depends on your priorities.

In PvP you do need some DEX to hit your targets but also for Cataphract you do need a good amount of it to increase your damage.

The most important thing for PvP is CON though, but you do have a good amount of it so far so that is not too much of a problem.

I think the path you have been following so far is good.

The problem with Critical Rate in PvP is that eventually people will be going to have a lot of Critical Resistance from equipment, so unless you have a very High DEX build or something like Finestra Level 10~15 on your build, then it is going to be pretty difficult to land critical hits.

But if you want to try a DEX build, then you can start placing most of your points into that stat.

I am not sure what you want me to say. It deals damage and it is an alright skill, but nothing that stands out.

I think it has a good synergy because you can use Lunge to buff Sky Liner on Bleeding Targets, while you can increase the damage from the Pierce skills by using Cross Guard.

You could also pick Doppelsoeldner after Fencer anyways as at C1 it is a pretty great addition for pretty much any build.

2 Likes

Thank you, you did help alot.

Just one last question, is Corsair C2 worth taking over Fencer C2 just for the hexen dropper skill? And if so, can I go Corsair C1>Fencer C1>Corsair C2 because I want to get fencer skills first.

Thanks a bunch!!

Cathexis,you help me a lot. thank u much :slight_smile:
i asked about double slash because another popular cata-dragon(sw1-pelt1-hop1) has no double slash or alternative. and when people talk about sw3 they mean pvp, they mean RESTRAIN , and no any word about double slash.
and one more question))))). how people do crit resist? and its about all classes or not. i mean high crit resist is a defoult in pvp or surprise for dex cata.

Iā€™ve tested it and yes, itā€™s 5% per stack. +70% when it reaches 14 stacks, at lvl 5 of Jolly Roger =)

1 Like

Cathexis,you help me a lot. thank u much :slight_smile:
i asked about double slash because another popular cata-dragon(sw1-pelt1-hop1) has no double slash or alternative. and when people talk about sw3 they mean pvp, they mean RESTRAIN , and no any word about double slash.
and one more question))))). how people do crit resist? and its about all classes or not. i mean high crit resist is a defoult in pvp or surprise for dex cata.

Yeah, I think it is a fair trade if you are not interested on getting Composee and want more burst on your build.

And it is fine if you do get Fencer C1 first, I think it is better since you get more variety of skills sooner on your build.

That is mainly the reason they pick it, Restrain.

Double Slash is alright, but it doesnā€™t do anything particularly impressive, it is just another way in which you will deal damage with.

People use high CON builds in PvP which increases their Critical Resistance (1 CON = 1 Critical Resistance), but they can also increase it through equipment like Aias.

That is great!

Could you provide us with a couple screenshots or something? That way we can use your post as a reference for documentation.

I will add it to the guide once I make my next revision of it which should be fairly soon.

1 Like

Im trying to build a tank/cata that is good in both PvE and PvP. I reached this build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/mr6mnxz1fn/

What you guys think?

I tried to take some screenshots just after your reply, but unlike before, the additional damage doesnā€™t appear on status window.

Maybe itā€™s a new bug after the last patches, but the only thing I can do now is give my word about it.

I saw an increase over 100 of damage after I reached 5 stacks and it wasnā€™t Gung Ho, Concentrate or an outside buff.

Edit:

1014 of damage (with 4 x 5% = +20%) next to orange icon.

Normal damage (without bonus).

+5% of damage.

Wow, it was so difficult to take these screenshots due to critical damage. I donā€™t know if itā€™s enough to have a conclusion, because as you know, normal damage varies a lot (I have 819 of maximum damage).

Perhaps someone could test it with me to see if thereā€™s a real difference. I hope I wasnā€™t crazy about what I saw.

1 Like

How are my stats looking so far? Iā€™m level 151 at C1 Corsair and my base stats are as follows: STR 218, CON 50, DEX 40.

I went Hoplite C2 so my crit is fine, but Iā€™m wondering if I should ever add any more into DEX at this point.

I believe that dropping one circle of Hoplite and Peltasta would do you better. Cataphract is kind of a ā€œgo big, or go homeā€ class meaning: Itā€™s not very impactful unless you get all 3 circles of it. The other reason is you may want to end the build with Dragoon.

Something like Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Hoplite OR Peltasta C2 -> Cataphract C3 -> Dragoon

Just like @otorinth

I would suggest you to either stay at Peltasta C1 or drop Hoplite for Peltasta C2 if you really want that extra circle. So one of these:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Cataphract C3->Dragoon

or

Swordsman->Peltasta C2->Cataphract C3->Dragoon

It is better to get Cataphract to C3 because you want to get the most out of this class with max level Trot and Rush. Even though Hoplite C2 is tempting for 100% up-time on Finestra, it isnā€™t worth it if you have to trade the Dragoon offensive skill set for it (since it will deal more damage than getting those extra levels on Finestra).

Thank you for taking these!

If you give us a screenshot of your stats window then I can run the calculations and see if there is indeed a change of not. I think there is, but better make sure on that aspect too.

They look pretty great. Are you going to follow that same ratio or will you stop leveling DEX/CON for now?

I think that you will need more DEX overall, try to get it to 60~70 and then decide whether or not you will add more (but only after you hit Rank 7).

I definitely plan on adding a lot more CON (as Iā€™m going a more PvP focused Shinobi build) but Iā€™m not sure how much CON to stop at, lol.

Will definitely add more into DEX then as well.

so +30% damage on large boss monster?
whats the formula on this? does it work on normal atk and skills?
thnx!

How is this build? Meant for Guild PvP. I am planning to take Rank 8 Fencer C2 if its possible.

I am already a level 100 barbarian with strong emphasis in dex, so a stat reset may be needed, as I am currently following the high dex PvP formula.

it much better if u can take video. so, we can see ourself the difference in term of damage for different combo. btw thanks man for the screenshot.

I have already gone Cata3 and the levelling is way easier now and I am mostly playing as a solo quester and dungeon random part runs so I am not that worried about not having Swash and the possibility of 1H Spears.
What is your opinion about Templar instead of Dragoon at Rank7?

Hey Cathexis, or any1 really,

Great and helpful guide, im planning on C2 hop, C2 corsair

is there a way to know how much stats i have allocated other than tediously writing it down everytime since level 1? cause i donā€™t even notice the difference when i get a level up skill point or ā€œquest/statueā€ skill point.

Thanks.

10% on bosses. It works on everything in the way described here:

Well, following those classes I think it is pretty solid, the only changes I would make are:

• Level 1 Rim Blow for the knock-back.
  • Maybe get level 10 Frenzy sacrificing some points from Cleave, but if you prefer to leave it at level 7 that is fine too, I understand the reasoning behind that decision.

Well, there is not much to say. If you want to make a guild, you HAVE to talke Templar. Otherwise then you just take Dragoon.

Remove all your equipment, then compare your stats to the base values from Swordsman which you can find here: http://wiki.tosbase.com/wiki/Stats

You can calculate the bonus points by yourself, but you can also use the stats calculator to see the amount of real points you have spent on each one of them: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/stat-calculator/

Itā€™s sad. Yesterday I did some tests while was grinding and didnā€™t noticed the damage increase. I donā€™t know if it was always +5 instead of +5% or if IMC recently ā€œfixedā€ that on iTOS. Just telling that because I saw an increase in my own stats window, a week ago.

I wanna know if itā€™s the same on kTOS, because a lot of parties still using Jolly Roger (with Corsair as party leader) and I donā€™t believe itā€™s only for pillage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3HY_OZo1mU (without this bug: Corsair's Jolly Roger bug)

BTW, with JR sometimes monsters drop ingredient/misc items (including rare ingredients) before they died and about its ā€œtauntā€, itā€™s like to ā€œput another player on the groundā€. If the monsters see the flag, theyā€™ll attack it.

It was a good distraction at Catacombs dungeons, for example.

Sorry man, I donā€™t have resources or knowlodge about record videos, upload on Youtube etc. =/

Would be great if someone could join me to do this.

1 Like