Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

Hello Cathexis. I read this topic and your other topic about builds and want to ask you something. I’m building a Fencer mainly for PVE content and my plan is this build:

http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/1eba1z3rig/
With High Dex (1:2 Str:Dex) and Leather armor for the attribute (I’m not sure about this, is it better to run plate for the hp?)

Should I pick Squire or move to Highlander C3? I know that Squire is better in C2 but I was thinking that Squire could help in dungeon runs to get repairs and stuff, also, I read that rapiers have low durability. What do you think?

Oh. My. God.
Thanks for the guide @Cathexis. You’re the man.

I’ve just returned from a long… long hiatus on Tree of Savior so I haven’t been able to follow this game in the longest time. I’ve always wanted to have some sort of a comprehensive guide on my favorite class, Swordsman. When I visited this site again, I was kinda lost at first, but now I am full of knowledge regarding Swordsman. Oh man, your guide really does give me a lot of insight and things to think off before really settling on a build. Looking forward on Shinobi at first, but looks like the class is still underdeveloped, good thing I read about that from your guide.

Overall, 10/10 for the perfect guide. Kudos!

1 Like

Hi @Cathexis. just need a bit more advices please :slight_smile:
As i want to play shinobi pvp, i just want to know please for ranks 2,3 and 4 what could be the interesting classes? hoplite or highlander. These classes give piece vulnerability debuff as we said before but i don’t know which one give the best pierce vulne.
Besides, what’s between INT reduction and finestra is the most effective in pvp?
INT reduction can reduce wizard tree damage and finestra to not put any point in DEX and give me high crits.
So yeah still hesitating between hoplite and highlander :frowning:

is ledas shield good for hoplite?? :smiley:

Dont bother with Shield Push. Wont affect bosses and it has a really lousy AoE radius for normal mobs. The defense decrease is also only good at higher skill levels to begin with, which takes far too much skill points for what it’s worth.

EDIT:

It is either from the Catacombs Underground dungeon or the Deep Underground dungeon.

It is fine to be honest, don’t really need to max Cleave. If anything I would say to max Frenzy then get Cleave as high as you can if you are going into Barbarian C3.

You do need DEX, but not that much. Probably something like 2 STR : 1 DEX or even 1.5 STR : 1 DEX, but nothing lower than that.

Yeah, you do get extra HP. It is somewhat expensive to level it up at early levels, but you should aim to max it when you can.

You can’t use 2H spear without bring Cataphract or Dragoon, so I would say either 1H+Shield or 1H+Dagger until you can use 2H spear.

I would probably wait for better buffs, or at least confirmation that we are getting the same ones in our version.

It does look very suspicious that Shield Push has that kind of change at level 14 and 15 since it makes no sense at all, considering how everything else on the game works. I think it could be a typo.

Even then, the amount of points you have to invest into that skill to make it anything close to useful is immense and pretty much ruins the rest of your Rodelero kit for an incredibly small gain that could fail to apply anyways (and sets you behind in the damage you can deal).

Even with the minor buffs Rodelero got, I wouldn’t recommend Rodelero C3 simply because all it does is add damage, but it is bad damage. It is better to get Fencer at Rank 6 and save Rank 7 for something better. That is the change I would make.

It is just the name of the weapon, it doesn’t mean that you will literally use dual rapiers.

If it is PvE, then I would recommend you to take Peltasta or Corsair instead of Barbarian C1. You don’t really have many options, unfortunately. But if you really want Barbarian, then that is fine.

It is overall better to use plate because it is impossible to dodge 100% so when you do get hit you want to mitigate that damage as much as possible.

You are going to add more STR at higher levels (past Rank 6), so you have to evaluate your character every rank to determine if you feel comfortable with your evasion and critical rate to decide if you will be increase more STR or more DEX.

I think that Highlander C3 is the better option.

Squire could help for the reasons you listed, but it is very rare that you will actually use them in a dungeon at higher levels so don’t expect to be using it too frequently (at least in party play).

If you want that option for yourself and wouldn’t mind giving away a little bit of combat effectiveness (you are mainly giving up Armor Break), then I think it is fine. Rapiers do have low durability, so that is a way in which it could help you.

Uh, either option is fine.

Highlander’s Cross Guard adds an extra hit to your Pierce-type attacks that will deal around 50~70% of the original damage. While Spear Lunge will make your target vulnerable and increase the damage of your Pierce-type attacks by an amount depending on the armor type of your target (could be 50% or even double damage).

Both have their uses. With Finestra you will have a higher chance to critical hit while Crown will let you (if it doesn’t miss) to mess up with the damage of magic classes.

It depends on which one you would prefer to have on your build. There is no right answer as to which one is more effective as there are many types of builds you will find in PvP.

Not really, doesn’t give anything particularly useful. But if it is the best shield you have at hand, then use it.

2 Likes

okay :smiley: thx i have the beetleback guess i will just keep using it thx XD

HUZZAH!!! i finaly got barb C2 and had 1 point into Warcry to test the previous interaction of War Cry with boss traps/totems.

War Cry DOES consider the totems/traps, so, if you are facing a boss that doesnt have adds, you can still have your War Cry with 5 targets with Boss+4 traps!

SPREAD THE WORD!!! WAR CRY WORKS ON BOSS TRAPS!

so, yeah its nice, since its only lvl 1 its not much, but at my lvl, 50 damage is still kinda significant. well, 60 if we count the -10 def that the boss had because of War Cry.

HUZZAH!

1 Like

Good guide, but what do you think about this one:
swordsman C2 - Hoplite C2 - Corsair C2 - Dragon C1???

Is this a good crit dps build for PVE:

swords > peltasta > highlander > barb 2 > doppel 2

With a focus on dex early on and more str for later levels.

Currently I am going all str…still wondering if I need to make it 2 str : 1 dex cause somewhere I read Barbarian damage scales off end game unless it’s pure str.

thing is, you sacrifice a big deal of survivability with not having all that much evasion early. that and dex also gives more crit rate, which double as damage, and gives accuracy, which also improves damage. All in all, while pure strength has bigger brute damage, its the trade off that is not worth it.

Full strength, while it gives big stats, will leave you vulnerable and have you miss a bit more. Also, you wont crit as often, so those big impressive numbers wont be improved all that much. Never go full of one stat.

As far as barbarian goes, cleave multiplying the whole damage by 2.5 (150% increase) on stun always make it worthwhile for non-bosses, and seism still has big numbers, so both of these wont fall off that hard for damage i believe. Also, Barb has frenzy and war cry to improve the damage. It may be a flat damage on both of them, but 330 and 400 damage is still 730 more damage, its quite signnificant, but thats if theres 10 monsters and if frenzy is stacked to 20, so wont always happen at once.

So, barbarian stil has its uses as far as R7, but will most likely not be the pure destroyer it was at r3-5. The flat numbers of the skills are still quite competitive compared to some higher ranked class, so i dont think its that much of an issue to be honest.

Be aware that i never experienced endgame so it might not be totally true, but i believe the theorycrafting behind the usefullness of barbarian is still good.

Is this build legit? Im trying to make an AoE-CC Tank
Hoplite basically for Finestra AoE rate attribute. 4:4:1 STR CON DEX
Dont know how to expend the skill point between Warcry and Frenzy. How does the interaction between frenzy and AoE works?

I have some more question from this build .

I was plan its stat like str3 dex1 con2 but I see some one build to high dex around dex3 str2 and some little point on con. And some do Full dex.

How should I put stat in? what is difference? I want to feel my character like bulldozer!!.
thank you

Hello everyone and thanks TS for the guide. I am a hoplite aiming to be a Dragoon. My original plan was to go
Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite c3 > Dopelsodoner > Dragoon

But yesterday I just found out that there is no attribute for mount in Dragoon and it got me really disappointed.

Now I wanted to change my build into:
Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite c3 > Cataptrach > Dragoon or
Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite c2 > Cataptrach 2 > Dragoon or
Swordsman c2 > Hoplite c2 > Cataptrach c2 > Dragoon

or if Dopel skills are usable to Cataptrach/Dragoon maybe I’ll go:
Swordsman > Peltesta > Hoplite c2 > Cata > Dopel > Dragoon or
Swordsman c2 > Hoplite c2 > Cata > Dopel > Dragoon

I am not asking anybody to make a build for me I just want to hear opinions and suggestions because right now I am really confuse about what to do. I just wanted a mount coz a mounted Dragoon sounds awesome though I’m afraid that I might regret sacrificing damage to mobility. And some people say that getting only 1 circle of Cataptrach is a waste. Now the reason why I’m considering swordsman c2 instead of peltesta is to utilize the buffs.

Additional questions:
-Is swash buckling usable with mount?
-Are Dopel skills usable to Cata/Dragoon with spears or double-handed spears?
-Is it worth it to exchange damage to mobility?

Hi! i’m going to make a Swordman, but i want it to be more PvE than PvP, lets call it “Bosskiller” :stuck_out_tongue: and i want it to be a Barbarian but i like Squires too, sooo Cathexis… what do you think about this build:

For the Stats… it’s ok if i go with “High STR” 3:STR - 1:DEX (and some CON?)
and do you recommend the Squire? or not?

thanks! :smiley: i’ll wait for your answer

Hello i know people have asked this but im split between two possible builds.

I am currently PVE and want to do a bit of tanking. As of right now I am Swordsman c1>Peltasta c1>Hoplite c1

The two builds i am considering:

Sword>Pelta>HopliteC3>doppC1>Dragoon

Or

Sword>Pelta>HopliteC1>CataphractC3>Dragoon

I also have a couple questions I wanted clarified:

Am i able to use shield and use my shield skillswhile mounted as a Cata?

And

Do all of hoplites/dragoon skills work while mounted?

Thank you for taking the time to read this…about to reach Rank 4 so been researching, would just like clarification before i move on.

hi @Cathexis (again) XD

from your reply, it would seem that the route im going for isnt really optimal o.o

can i have a suggestion for a 2h sword build? :smiley: thanks

Need some opinion here. Im already at barbarion c3. Balance pvp and pve. Still cant decide on rank 7, either fencer c2, shinobi or corsair c2.

Rank 1
More on pve. Even at my current lvl, im barely use any of swordman c1 skill. i dont know why lol

Rank 2
PvE oriented. Taunt purpose. Mostly im just kiting, not tank the damage (c guard). umbo blow good for extra chance stun and life saver knockback when in need. Not sure why im taking rimblow there. Guardian just for evasion buff.

Rank 3 & 4
PvP oriented. Im taking all cc skill i can. Not sure frenzy or warcry better.

Rank 5
Balance both pvp and pve.Not sure whether i should invest point on keel hauling or dust devil. Jolly roger for farming purpose. Im not sure whether i should take squire, barbarian c3, or corsair here. After some thinking and Q&A with u before, i think i will get corsair.

Rank 6
Balance purpose. Just random put here and there. Not sure which skill i should max, but im sure not invest in esquive toucher, due to slow animation.

If you are only really picking Swordsman C2 for higher levels of Gung Ho and Concentrate, it is not worth it. They damage they give isn’t very significant at higher levels. I would use Peltasta instead.

Mmm, it could work, sure. But I am not sure why Highlander is in there, if you are picking it for the attribute that increases your Critical Attack, I don’t think it is worth it.

It would be much better for you to continue into Barbarian C3 so you can acquire higher levels of your skills as well as the attributes for Frenzy and War Cry.

Besides the reasons @guillaume_bergevin listed, you do want to have DEX to Critical Hit at a reliable level, otherwise even though your base damage will be higher you would be dealing less damage overall without that extra Critical Rate from DEX.

You could do that, but I think it is better to just get Doppelsoeldner at Rank 6 and get Cyclone which is the best AoE skill in the entire tree.

Frenzy stacks with your normal attacks and it gives you Physical Attack that will increase the damage of all your other skills. It doesn’t stack with AoEs.

You probably want to max Frenzy and War Cry (or get them as high as you can), getting points from Helm Chopper to level them up.

If you want to have more reliable evasion then you will want to invest more heavily into DEX, sacrificing points from STR or CON.

On the other side, if you just want to have lots of HP then your first ratio is a pretty good balance between damage and survival. You will probably want to get a few more points into DEX though, around 80~100 DEX so you can have a comfortable level of Critical Rate.

It also depends if it is for PvE or PvP, but generally it would be like that.

Yes.

Cyclone will dismount you.

It is if you are looking for mobility. It is useful for scenarios like PvP and the upcoming GvG.

If you want to use Cataphract it is usually better to go to C3 so you can get the maximum power from Trot as that is what makes the mobility from Cataphract a threat on battle. Something like:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Cataphract C3->Dragoon

You could probably lower to C2 if you really want Hoplite C2, but overall I think it is not worth it, especially if you want to go into PvP or GvG.

Your stats are fine.

I don’t recommend Squire because it is not doing anything on your build. I would also not recommend to get Barbarian C3 at Rank 8.

It is better if you don’t mix them and make either a full Barbarian or a full Squire, otherwise the end result ins’t as good.

Yeah, you can use all your previous skills as a Cataphract with the build you listed.

Only Long Stride from Hoplite doesn’t work while mounted but everything else from Hoplite and Dragoon works.

I think it was alright, you can check the recommended builds section of the guide to find one that you might be interested in if you want more options to choose from.

You probably want to have both, but if you would rather keep Helm Chopper at a higher level then either one is fine. War Cry is probably better for something like GvG while Frenzy is better suited for 1v1 scenarios.

Pretty much because of Iron Hook, right?

Those points are fine. You can also get to Fencer, get level 1 of each skill and then see which ones you like more and max those.

If this is for PvP, I think Corsair C2 or Shinobi would be the better options.

Corsair C2 mostly gives you Hexen Dropper which is a great skill for PvP as it deals high burst damage in a very short amount of time. While you also get more levels for Iron Hook and Keel Hauling.

Shinobi gives you the hiding skills but mostly the burst combo of Kunai with the clones. Although it could leave you very vulnerable with the reduction in stats.

Overall I think I would be more inclined to pick Corsair C2 as it is something we know, but you could go with Shinobi and see how well you do with that combination of classes as it is still unexplored as a class path.