Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

depends on if you wanna go barb C3 i’d say. At least max cleave.

War Cry at 5/5 gives -19 for up to 5 maximum targets (more targets possible at barb C3) and with the attribute, you get up to (195 + 30 for the attribute) = 125 + the -19 def more damage for the duration, which, while nice, may not be worth the 5 points if not going C3. If going C3, then skipping War cry would make you lose on a potential of 3010+30 = 330 damage +30 from the -def, which is quite significant.

Of course, just keeping 4 points unused to put into seism right as you get barb 3 is quite worth it i’d say.

Also, it depends on how auto-attack heavy you are going lather on. If going fencer (like i am), you’ll have so many skills to use that its questionable to max frenzy, and thus War Cry is quite worth it for the instant big damage spike, while frenzy will take a while to max out if spamming.

If you’ve looked up earlier today, i’ve asked a similar question about maxing cleave/helm chopper or not and here’s what i got answered:

Here, hope it helps, from that, what i’m personally gonna do is max War Cry, max Cleave, leave Helm Chopper at 1 and get frenzy as high as i can (will be 8 due to 2 1 point skills in my build, the other being giant swing for potential pvp on my part)

edit:
heres the complete build i’m aiming for so far if you’re interested.

Thanks for the reply! The build looks good but somehow does Warcry works good with boss since just 1 target (if it didn’t summon any minions)? I like the damage that helm chopper gives :smiley:

Anyhow I was planning to do a new build, Barbarian C3 > Doppel > Dragoon :smiley:

im not barb c2 yet, i’ll be there by tomorrow or friday i expect, but bosses also summon totems, 4 at a time, so i’ll test out the totems and if it works, its at least 5 targets each time! with lvl 10 War Cry, that 150 damage bonus + the -30 armor on the boss + attribute for 210 more damage on it, if it does work.

Need to test that out, so ill give some news about war cry asap.

Also, for your build, i dont think dragoon quite fits in there, doppel 2 might be better, since you dont have either cata or hoplite for speal synergy, which might not be optimal.

check out the other sticky guide about builds, the reasoning behind each and what to take as far as skill points and stats are concerned are also highlighted in the other guide.

If the end-goal is doppel, i think doppel C2 is preferable.

If the end goal is dragoon, you might wanna get hoplite and/or cata instead of barb to have more goodies that fits with dragoon, Well, barb skills works with anything so its never bad, it just has less synergy then the other 2, but much easier leveling i think.

Yea that is what most people has stated but I am too late to go back. I do know that Doppel C2 is definitely better but I like Dragoon’s skill, costume and also the idea of using both 2H sword and 2H spear. Since most Barbarian + Doppel’s skill can be used with 2h spears so I was thinking to go for Dragoon. The AOE from Doppel and Barbarian works good on clearing mob while Dragoon’s skill is good for boss. Frenzy + Warcry + Concentrate + GungHo + Deed of Valor do work on Dragoon as well although I will miss the 50% critical attack from Highlander’s attribute. Other than missing Finestra buff and some debuff from Hoplite so somehow…it works?

Ok, dumb question:

How the heck do you control “long stride” with a controller?

Why can’t I use long stride when I’m dual wielding a spear + arde dagger?

When do I use arde dagger, right now or not until I’m corsair? I have no clue how offhand works

if i use swashbuckling then cast lv10 deeds of valor do i die easy bec of -100% def? considering i will get minimum con

So this is the build I’m conidering using. It’s an all around build since I don’t think I’ll have much time to play. I’d say I PvE to level and try new content and as the game develops I’ll probably be focused on PvP more.

Stat Build: 4 STR 3 CON 3 DEX or 5 : 3 : 2.

I know the usual builds either take hop 3 and doppel or take hop 2 and cor 2. I’m taking cor 1 only because I wan’t Iron Hook for pvp, jolly roger is an added benefit for pvp. Dopel because I think cyclone is a devastating close AoE skill. Dragoon for more damage and natural choice for a spear build.

Assumption: 1) You can use skills after you’ve used Iron Hook. 2) long Stride after Iron Hook will close gap. From what I’ve gathered these are correct.

PvP: Iroon Hook + Long stride (to get in close) then use cyclone/dragoon skills. If you hook 3 people in a group they are finished. Got knockdown/stun Umbo blow, knockdown from bash. Default 1H spear + shield and switch to 2 handed spear when in attack range.
Long stride does have a pretty long CD though :< have to use it strategically. Generally still have Cyclone and dragoon skills (gae bulg for range dmg). The DEX is so that I don’t miss EVA builds and it adds crit rate as well since I don’t have C3 finestra.

PvE: Swashbuckling, Jolly Roger (for extra cash and dmg). I also will have 100+ CON and DEX, I hope that will add survivability, tho PvE dmg will be lower than Full Str types. Deeds of valor would also help DPS.

@Cathexis @Autentist Could you guys weigh in?

Hi! would like to know on your thoughts of this skill tree

Swordsman c1 > highlander c3 > barb c1/ swordsman c2 > doppel c2.

stats wise, im going for a mixed build, about 3:1 in terms of str to dex ratio.

hi! im currently c2 peltasta and looking to build the tankiest thing uve ever seen, so im torn betwene the “standard” pelt 2 -> rodelero 2 -> fencer 2 and some kind of variation using pelt 3 -> ? c1 (corsair?) -> fencer 2

what do you think? @Cathexis @Autentist + others thanks!

Hey Cathexis
first of all, thank you very much for all your support and contribution to the swordman community.

Im trying to build my swordsman but i think im a little bit stuck here, i would really appreciate some feedback.
im trying to build something that works good all together, ive always been a fan of hybrid builds and being able to adapt to pve and pvp enviroments.

1.- im right now running: swordman-peltasta-barbarian c2.
the damage is good and i dont have problems with pve so far.

2.- my idea is: swordsman - peltasta - barbarian c2 - cataphract - doppel - dragoon and using weapon swap when needed.

I noticed that in pvp its very difficult to land a propper hit on kiting classes like bokor but if im able to land 1 succesful stun or knockback i can chain them and they are dead. thts why im interested in cataphract thanks to impaler and being able to use skills while moving.
Im not really shure if this build would work because of the limmitations when using skills when mounted.

I havent seen many dragoon builds that use barbarian do you think it might work? or should i just drop cataphract and pick hoplite or maybe corsair? im open to any comments.

thks mate and keep the good work!

1.- Probably Hoplite C3 for combat effectiveness unless you really want a new costume to use or Jolly Roger for silver.
2.- Whenever you feel like you need more HP, but since your build is for PvP once you hit Rank 6 you can start adding points into CON every now and then or until you feel comfortable with the amount of HP you want to have.
3.- Yeah, otherwise you will have a difficult time hitting people with high evasion.

You can pretty much use the armor you get from quests all the way to 200+. So you shouldn’t worry too much about it, just use the best you can get your hands on without breaking your wallet.

Your weapon is more important, so you want to keep upgrading it every new stage unless you get a really good one. For your level you can probably try to get a Trinity Sword, but Velniup is pretty good too.

But pretty much the general rule is to upgrade whenever you get something significantly better without losing all your money. It is not guaranteed that you will get good equipment so you should just use the best you have at hand.

Physical.

It is pretty good to take for higher levels as it could give you a significant boost in Physical Attack and that is usually better since it increases the damage for all your attacks and not just one particular skill.

You do want to get at least level 1 of Helm Chopper and Cleave as high as you can. All of this while maxing Seism too.

Barbarian got buffed on kTOS for most skills, so now Cleave and War Cry have more priority for when we receive that buff in our version.

This is one of the better ways to do it.

I would also consider maxing Frenzy instead and take those couple points from Cleave.

Dragoon can totally work if you went with Barbarian, so if you are more interested in following that path then it is a solid choice.

It is an unexplored build, so if you follow it you would be among the first ones to try it out.

Don’t really know, since I don’t play with a controller. Maybe you have to hold the button or something?

I think the developers forgot about that combination or something, but it cannot be used with a dagger on your off-hand for now as it is not listed as a possible weapon combination for that skill.

Arde Dagger adds +153 Fire damage to all your attacks, that is why people use it. You want to use Arde Dagger whenever you don’t need a shield, so that would be most of the time questing.

No, defense doesn’t play a major role in this game to be honest. It is mostly about how well you position and move out of the range of enemy attacks.

Yes you can.

Movement breaks the Iron Hook, so not possible. It could be different now though, so someone who is reading and currently playing a Hoplite C2->Corsair can confirm this for us.

Not too many suggestions since most of your build is well crafted, the only thing I would consider is placing 1 point into Dust Devil just to have it on your kit.

But overall I think it is a good idea, even if Iron Hook+Long Stride doesn’t work, you still have plenty of tools on your build to use for multiple scenarios.

I wouldn’t get Swordsman C2 on that build, since it is not really doing much in it. So probably something like Peltasta or Corsair would fit better. It depends on your goals since you didn’t specify if this is a PvE or PvP character.

The stats build is fine though.

Being tanky doesn’t really depend on your class, but your stats.

From those two builds, I would probably follow the first one IF those are the classes you want to play.

I wouldn’t mix Barbarian with Cataphract because you can’t use Seism, Cleave or Giant Swing while mounted, so it doesn’t have too much synergy.

I would probably consider another class for your build, since you are planning to take Dragoon at the end anyways. So I would say Barbarian C3 or Corsair.

1 Like

@Cathexis Do you happen to know where the Catacombs Pike recipe drops? I’ve seen that it’s a fairly popular weapon for Dragoons in kToS.

Ah that’s nice…but I already up Helm Chopper at lvl 5 so I couldn’t max both Cleave or WarCry =( Is it necessary to max Frenzy?

Another is that currently I am putting most of my stats into str. Should I add to dex so that it will become 1:1?

Is plate mastery: defense attribute worth raising?

I’ve gotten it to lv 9 and only noticed you get 1 stamina every 3 ranks.

Thanks in advance!

I noticed the extra hp it gives is not bad. Not very significant but it’s better than nothing :smiley:

1 Like

I went SwordsmanC2 and hopliteC3 and the casual doppel as well, is it better to use a 2H spear? or stick to 1h with shield.

Any suggestions on this build? I’m considering it after recent Rodelero buffs.

Shield Push level 14 is here because http://tos.nexon.com/gameinfo/jobview.aspx?classid=1010 says that it’s duration is 7 seconds on levels 14 and 15, and it’s much better than 5 seconds. If it’s just a mistake then it can be dropped altogether in favor for Montano for some good Slash damage.

Stat distribution is High DEX. So I can dodge most of the physical attacks with 50% bonus evasion and ignore magic attacks with Slithering.

Build has good combination of consistent strike(pelt+rode), slash(montano+falconnade+bash) and pierce(fencer skills, autos + thrust) attacks. I’ve taken 1 point in Shield Lob to utilize fencer passive, so I can make Strike combo finished with Shield Lob and (theoretically) activate passive. Also I can just swap on Rapier/Dagger after combo.

Would be glad to hear any advices/suggestions.

Can anyone confirm the existence of Dual Rapiers?

And how do they work? Do you equip them offhand, or do you equip them with main hand and you get two rapiers???

It’s usual rapier, Dual Rapier is it’s name.

@Cathexis, its a pve build! XD what would u recommend?