Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

I will go with the second case because Shinobi, as you said, there are still many ways should be develop. Thank you for your advice.:relaxed:

will i miss out big time if i go dop2 and not get dop2 skills that require 2 hand swords?

Most likely yeah. It would depend on whether or not you have enough tools to deal consistent, high damage with the previous classes you chose. But even then, I think it would kind of be a waste to go into that circle and not get the new skills for your kit.

It could work, but I think you are losing more than you are getting out of it compared to other options like Dragoon.

What you think about this build? I’m not sure about getting HL C2 and Fencer. Thought about getting Peltasta, but it doesn’t make much sense to use Guard while having HL’s Cross Guard. Also picked Fencer because of the attack speed, while combo’ing after blocking with Cross Guard, since i like hitting hard without being too slow.
I’m planning on using 1H Swords + Shield most part of time, switching to 2H Sword to block and then Rapier to combo, but i feel it’s too much switching. Thanks in advance

The skill has 100% reflect and 60% frost chance then the cd and duration is 45sec… the skill has even no hit limit count. Lol how are we suppose to hit them now? This is the class we swordsmans should worry about unless we can one shot them.

@Cathexis hi, can you answer me some question if you do not mind, you say that this is a tier 1 path “Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Barbarian C3 -> Fencer” can you tell me what skill you choice and the stat distribution please, i triyng to make my self a fencer and searching ideas, sorry the incoveniences. ho i take your comments from this post

Just finished reading the top parts (forgive me for not reading everything following it)… tried to do a build for myself as a PVE with tank in mind, not going to be doing PVP much. Also trying to limit weapon swaps and skills (slow hands…) Thinking of doing High STR stats, just wondering if its doable or shall I going with just 1 Peltasta instead and supplement it with Doppelsoeldner later for more damage. ( I know it may be painful to bear mid game before Peltasta).

and thanks for the great guide and helpful advices.

I’m a Swordsman C3 user. Since I decided for SwC3 > CataC3 > Dragoon for pvp. Is Gung Ho lvl15 and its attribute(-60 Defense) will ruin this build or not in pvp? Is it better for maxing Concentrate. Thxs

Well, it depends on which one you prefer.

Like you said, going with Highlander requires you to constantly switch between 2H Sword and Rapier. While if you go with Peltasta, you will be using a shield anyways.

I would just remove Highlander and go with Peltasta and Barbarian C3, but you could also get Highlander C3 and then Peltasta.

Your skill distribution is good, but you might want to max one of both, Frenzy or War Cry, rather than keep both at lower levels.

That pretty much is TOS’s PvP right now. One of the reasons to not take it too seriously until the balances classes and improve mechanics around it.

That guide is from iCBT2, this is the new one.

But if you want to follow that build just do something like:

You can remove points from Helm Chopper and add them to War Cry if you feel like it would be better for your playing style.

For stats just follow the High DEX build on t his guide.

The -60 defense doesn’t really matter, so I would max Gung Ho since it stays relevant for longer than Concentrate.

Hey Cathexis!

Thanks so much for all you’ve done (and thanks also for answering my questions earlier). My next question is actually about stats. Maybe it’s because I don’t understand how stats interact with each other in this game, but why is strength Fencer bad? Fencer gives a lot of evasion stats anyway, and according to a lot of people going strength, they typically pick up crit for gems, so why can’t you do that on Fencer? Further, wouldn’t Dex eventually become more obsolete due to the fact that crit rate and evasion would eventually near/hit 100%? Wouldn’t you eventually have to go strength anyways? And also, what is Fencer > Doppel good at? And do you think they’ll add new weapons to use for the future?

Thanks!

It is not necessarily bad.

Fencer is the only class who right now has access to 1~2 skills with 0 cooldown, this means that they have a reliable source of damage available to them 100% of the time.

Other classes don’t have this advantage, so instead they have to make every single hit count and gotta add more STR to their build to balance it out with the cooldowns.

Because of this, Fencer has the option to focus on landing Critical Hits instead of trying to compensate with raw damage, since hits/skill are being dealt at a higher speed compared to other classes.

This doesn’t mean that Fencer won’t have STR in their build, they still do add a considerable amount of it, but they are more efficient on a High DEX build.

And it is a nice plus that the skills have good synergy with Evasion.

Kinda, not really. They will never be 100% as there is a soft-cap and enemies always get more stats to counter them (Accuracy and Critical Defense).

Every Swordsman build adds STR and Fencer is no exception. But Fencer has the advantage of getting away with a High DEX build better than other builds do.

Doppel would cover one of the weaknesses of Fencer, which is AoE. While Deeds of Valor could add a nice amount of increased damage.

But the main appeal is being able to use Cyclone as a Fencer AND being able to buff it up with Lunge.

So it is just another way to build a Fencer, with different goals than other paths could have.

I have no idea.

EDIT:

But if you want to build a Fencer focused on STR instead, it could work too. It means you wouldn’t really care about Evasion, but you are going to have to get some very good gems and equipment, otherwise it is not going to work as good on it’s own.

So it would be better to change stats at max level once you have acquired the gems and equipment.

So basically, because damage is on average higher due to the amount of 0CD skills that is available to the Fencer, they have the liberty to primarily focus on critical hit chance rather than inflating their bottom line? Aren’t skills also affected by strength, though? I know that critical chance scales better when you reach a certain amount of raw damage–so does that mean that the Fencer with their 0CD abilities, fulfills that? I guess because those abilities are basically enhanced auto attacks, it would make sense.

today[quote=“Cathexis, post:489, topic:153860”]
Doppel would cover one of the weaknesses of Fencer, which is AoE. While Deeds of Valor could add a nice amount of increased damage.

But the main appeal is being able to use Cyclone as a Fencer AND being able to buff it up with Lunge.

So it is just another way to build a Fencer, with different goals than other paths could have.
[/quote]

I was thinking about possibly going Fencer > Doppel or Barbarian>Fencer with a Strength build, but you expounding on why the Dex build is strong makes a lot of sense. I know you had mentioned that the Barbarian>Fencer still does well with Dex, but if Barbarian doesn’t scale as well if it doesn’t have Strength, then I’d rather not go it.

I’m currently thinking Swordsman>High3>something>something/Fencer>Fencer, but it doesn’t feel like I have enough AoE. I don’t want so much AoE so as to dip into Doppel for it, though, and I think I want two Fencer circles for the potential third circle of it (whatever that circle will do), though I’m up for taking one out if need be. Any suggestions? Should I really just replace Highlander with Barbarian instead? I kind of don’t want to since Highlander Fencer looks like it flows together really well.

I was also considering Peltasta, of course, but maybe its because I was too low level but it didn’t feel very potent in the areas I was in when I playtested it.

Thanks. n.n

My build idea so far is Swordsman C2 - Barbarian C3 - Fencer C2

Largely focusing on using stuns and maxing out gung-ho and concentrate. Restrain to 4, having pain barrier to 5 and only one for pommel.

I kinda messed up the math and should have maxed out restrain to 5 and pain barrier to 4. Maybe I’ll do a skill reset on the character but I’ll need to look into that.

Is a stun based build a good idea? Do they work well against bosses? Sorry if you’ve answered these questions.

I haven’t gone into barbarian yet and what not but I will continue to put points into skills that improve or do extra damage involving stuns.

I find it much more beneficial to go 2 STR 1 DEX on Fencer, and just build crit rate and SP regen through gear.
But this is the beauty of TOS, you can do whatever works for you, and its still viable.
YMMV greatly when it comes to actually implementing the play style of certain builds, this is why im glad that i got time to test fencer in ICBT.

Its led me to all diffrent types on builds that can all do amazing things.
But in the end, that Good Ol c1 Paltasta and C3 Highlander puts in dat work.
(But i still feel like c2-3 Hoplite skills would be nice to have on fencer, its just Highlander’s utility that makes it the better pick)

1 Like

What was the difference you felt when you did that instead?

@Cathexis i wana try this, thanks!

1 Like

Less dodgy but alot stronger all together.

The less dodgy thing was a pllus for me, as i need to get hit to block with cross guard.
But everything you do really depends on preference and build.

I want to konw if you put the important Attributes is ther a max or can i up other Attributs too? (Concentrat:Enchant and so on i mean)

and i want go Sword/Peltasta/Hplithe c3/Rondelero if i do so would you change some skills you did tell in your build or still go like you told? cuz if i use Shild/Spear all the time ther are maybe better skills for me?

About my stats i want do PvE/PvP i did spent all in STR im lvl 43 now sould i put some points in other Stats?

thx for your awnser and Great Guide

(i talk about the Hoplite guide)

I figured out that Crown can reduce the int of the target for some duration. Something like 100 int. I also believe Spr is also reduced. So early game or in standardized pvp, wizards hit by it will turn their damage to pennies. There are some hidden skill effect of Sm meant for countering wizards. I’ll just not spoil it. :))

How much damage the counter effect do ?
100% if use shield and damage based shield defense not the damage that cyro receive.
Description say increase def and counter attack when successfull blocking damage.
What exactly this skill do :

1. Increase def ??
  2. Increase block ??
    We must know this first to do another disscussion.

About freeze chance :
The problem here is how exactly the freeze effect will apply to enemy.

1. Must blocking enemy attack 1st
  2. Working like Warlock Dark Theurge skill ( This is bad )
  3. Will apply even a tiny damage get to them ( you F*ck up dude )

If it’s point 1, you can hit them easily as long they don’t have stone skin.
Point 2, your best shot are Cyclone, Mijin no Jutsu or maybe hexen dropper.
Point 3 Mijin no jutsu but you must CC them 1st ( If not dead you’re next )

I think freeze very OP in TOS, i hope they can change it like RO,
When you get hit while in freeze stat the freeze effect gone.

Mele classes very stupid in this game.
Almost their skills required stance to use ( especially warrior )
While magic classes don’t need any ( AFAIK - CMIIW )
Stone skin, Subzero shield don’t even need stance
Why ? coz it’s magic, magic can block and attack with anything dude…:joy: