Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] In-Depth Explanation and Discussion of Swordsman Builds - by Autentist

Answered above.

@Horyu

You will definitely need all three Circles of Cataphract, because you miss out on uptimed Trot and Spear Throw Spam for Hoplite. I understand your point, but in this case, making a hybrrid build form these two won’t do you good.

Go with 4:2:1 still, if you insist on taking this build.

@chrisyty

Rewieved above, take a look, maybe there is something you would like.

@MattBR

Yeah, that’s why at least one point there is needed, all for maximizing your damage. At least with Dragoon, who benefits greatly from this, actually.

@Phntm

Answered above.

@ravash

Fencer builds are coming next, look forward to them!

[size=25]Updated.[/size]

• Some strange things happened to me and my URLS, they were glitching a bit, sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Added Doppel builds.
2 Likes

Hey Autentist. Since youre up to barbarians, I would like to offer some personal thoughts after analyzing the class for the last week or so. This is a copy/paste from a message exchange I did with another person who played barb heavily, and the insights are heavily based on his experience but also my own theorycrafting.

You might not agree with this but I came to a conclusion on barbarian just yesterday before going to sleep, or maybe even after I woke up. Barbarian has nub traps. Heavy nub traps that dont look like nub traps but are just that.

The 5 skills we have in mind for barb are always the same arent they - seism, cleave, helm chopper, warcry and frenzy, right?

Helm chopper and cleave are a good combo, we want them both since even if a mob is not good against slash x2 damage from a stunned mob is good. What is a nub trap here? The nub trap here is, you would be better off having high helm chopper then seism Or frenzy. Seism has awesome damage, true but it will never deal as much Slash damage as cleave does if we consider the mob will be stunned. It has 2 more aoe ratio but thats it.

Now here’s the kicker. Depending on your build, seism Might be better then frenzy. But at the same time it doesn’t have to be. Yes it does great damage but if you make yourself full of skills that do damage, you won’t have the time to autoattack to get frenzy skills up. Likewise, if you won’t have that many skills or skills on long cooldown, seism can either fill that role or work against you in getting frenzy stacks - at which point you’re left with a skill you never use and badly spent skill points.

So what am I exactly saying? I think that the optimal way to build barb is having cleave, helm chopper And warcry high. Warcry, because at least in my peltasta build I can always count on that additional damage being there and later on, on 3 star maps where mobs agrro themselves - no one will not even if you go highlander c1. As to seism and frenzy? I would pick one of those depending on your envisioned playstyle.

For example, with c1 doppel you wont yet have the skills to fill that whole hotkey bar, with a full rotation. What you will have is 5 DoV stacks which would make that frenzy give you 600 not 400 dmg after stacking both. With doppel 2 it won’t be as obvious anymore the skills from c2 dont have overcharge but animation lasts a bit so you Might have the time to autoattack while skills are on cd still. Im not sure, I didnt play a swordie so I only know the mechanics behind it not actual skill behaviour or ping dependent issues.

So yeah, just a bit of my thoughts about barb and possible nub traps :grin:

@creative34521 & @Autentist thank you both for answering, it is a lot clearer for me now too. I got confused because the skills didnt have in the description like the cata skills.

For a barbarian/doppel build warcry gives you more attack the higher it goes, up to a total of 330 attack for its duration. Why not max it?

Also, why did you choose to level helm chopper and cleave equally instead of maxing cleave out? Cleave seems to benefit more from leveling due to the stun multiplier.

One last thing: If you could refresh deeds how would you skill your doppel C2 instead? Pull points from zornhau and bring deeds to 9?

Helo again, im your opinion how build dragoon is more effective DPS and have discente block/dodge…?

MAYBE: Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite > Hoplite > Hoplite > Doppelsoeldner > Dragoon

This question because i wanna survive and not death every time (i say that because i see some lot videos in you turbe and some players build draggon and dies a lot… in this case i now their not use this builds… i donde see skils for peltasta… and i think in that in this moment…

What you recomend for build dragoon today?

Why not Vertical Slash on Doppel build like Dragoon?

I’ll be Corsair on Rank 5 (High C3 > Corsair > Doppel C2). I know pretty well about Earth Tower, but I’ll have some Peltasta friends in my party. Despiste that fact, is this build not an option?

Ola Mat vc e do brasil? entao havia pensado em construir exatamente esta buli mas fique na duvida por conta da defesa em si… o que vc acha? voce vai utilizar a cross defense?

a minha duvida e por conta de ter muito dano nesta build e nada de defesa ainda q alguns digao q sworman e um “tank” natural… não sei dizer…

I think defense will not be a problem for 2H Sword Way, because you’ll have Cross Guard between lvl 1~5, Plate Amor set etc. and Peltasta only has Guardian for defense.
Since you can equip a shield any time, in this case Peltasta isn’t a class for “tank”. The real deal is Swash Buckling skill for the aggro.

You need at least 20K HP (without equips) for Earth Tower. So, 40 points in CON (4:1:2, like Autentist suggested) will be enough until the current max lvl.

Portuguese:

Eu acho que defesa não será um problema para quem escolher 2H Sword, porque você vai ter Cross Guard entre o lvl 1 e 5, set de Plate Armor etc. e Peltasta só oferece Guardian para defesa.
Já que você pode equipar um escudo a qualquer momento, nesse caso Peltasta não é uma opção para “tank”. O verdadeiro objetivo de escolher a classe é liberar o Swash Buckling para provocar os mobs.

Você precisará de pelo menos 20K de HP (sem os equips) para encarar a Earth Tower. Então 40 pontos em CON (4:1:2, como o Autentist sugeriu em uma das builds) será o suficiente até o nível máximo atual.

What about sacrificing Dragoon and going Sw c1> Peltasta c1 >HopliteC2>Cata C3?
Can this work?

I just really like Finestra lvl 10+ lol

Hey Autentist. I have already posted in the other thread, but didn’t really get an answer I was looking for. Basically I would love some input on duo composition of Swordie + Wizard that would transition nicely late game into 5 man party content such as Earth Tower. Some insight on skill and cooldown synergies would be awesome.

The builds we’re considering:

I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but I would like to do PvE/PvP (3:1 ratio) with just one build. The Dragoon would focus more on 2h weapons and dps.

My previous posts:

Great guide, Autentist! Thanks for making this, especially for new players like myself. I have a question or two that should be easy for you to answer.

First, why not use Gae Bolg for Dragoon? (PvE)

Lastly, I didn’t see this on any of your builds but is Mounted Drg good? What I have for it is Swordsman>Peltasta>Hoplite>Hoplite>Cataphract>Cataphract>Dragoon

Hey Autentist, I brainstormed my own build for a few hours and you already came up with the class tree I was planning :stuck_out_tongue:

I have yet to play ToS but have been brainstorming for a bit and this is what I came up with. I have a few questions to ask:

1. Why place 1 point into Guardian? I understand you get +18% evasion but does it out-weigh the flat -39 evasion from using Finestra 15? Also, you can’t use Gung Ho at the same time as Guardian and vice versa unless that was changed.

2. What is your opinion on passing up Spear Throw 5 + Dragontooth 5 for Pierce 15 + Gae Bulg 5? Gae Bulg is not spammable like Spear Throw but will there be a large damage output difference if you skip Spear Throw? Also, do you know if any changes happened to Dragontooth? I feel like Pierce 15 would be more useful then Dragontooth 5, at least for boss fights.

I’ve thought about using Dragontooth but it feels underwhelming when I view the sample clip. Like I said earlier, I have yet to play the game so maybe I’m not familiar with how useful it actually is.

Bro, take spear lunge at lvl 1.

+18% evasion is +18% evasion, it’s a panic button. Better to have it then not considering only swashbuckling is a worthwhile skill otherwise from peltasta.

Why would you make your live harder by passing spear throw 5? If you get more skills later on and dont’ have to spam it / end up not using it, you can always invest a bit of money and reset those skills to make your char better. Pierce isn’t as good as you think, it’s strong yes but synchro thrusting is actually stronger by a lot then pierce is. Problem is, you need a spear and shield to use synchro thrusting, meaning you wouldn’t get a bonus from 2h spear mastery from dragoon

I am a fan of gae bulg personally because of the +15% bonus to all physical incoming damage of mobs hit by it, for 7.5 second. I wouldn’t pass on dragontooth but dragonsoar though.

Again, spear throw lvl 5 makes live so much easier even more with peltasta that it’s a no brainer. Reset later if you feel those points are better spent elsewhere.

Both dragontooth and serpentine are apparently 5 hit skills. Multihits are good for you, even more multihits that are supported by spear lunge which gives +50% pierce damage for 6 seconds. The reason is, there are only a few ways to stop skills from falling off. The ways are - have a +% modifier that increases the skill with your levels, the more modifiers the better. Flat numbers will eventually end, the reason multihits are good is because each hit is affected by your strength making the skill that much stronger. It makes them fall off much slower, in comparison to 1hit skills, even if their damage is tremendous. The only different skills are skills like gae bulg that additionally buff you up. Hence modifiers. You want those.

ty for the feedback lajkonikes, appreciate it as I didn’t know why dragontooth was worth putting points into until now.

On another note, consider putting 2 points into double pay earn. Right now, theres a bit of a bug where if you put that on a mob but your party member kills it, he’s not bound to the amount of hits and the bonus is added.

@Autentist, whats your opinion on full str build for sw1-p1-h3-dpl1-drg that @Cathexis was using/reccomending ?Whats the problems with it and why do you reccomend 4:2:1 in your guide. I’m kinda newb in ToS, gonna play on founder and wanted to go this route, so trying to get some infos on that.

2 Likes

[quote=“Autentist, post:1, topic:153927”]
You don’t. First, to have a decent Block Penetration, you must choose Cata as a class because they gain up to 40% Block Penetration with 2H Spears.
And then Priest casts Stone Skin. That’s all, your Block Pen instantly becomes useless, because Stone Skin basically makes all team on Priest’s side immune to any physical damage.
Basically, you gain 10 or 20 points of this Block Pen in comparison to Stone Skin. It’s laughable. This is the sad truth, unfortunately.You want more? Level up SPR. But for Cata it’s not needed.
[/quote]Idk if you are getting what Cata’s passive does in a wrong way or just the way you wrote is completely misleading, but that passive doesn’t give you flat 40% block pen, it increases your block pen stat by 40% (so you would need SPR regardless, just less SPR as Cata compared to other non-Cata builds).

Of course he knows that but are you planning on going high spirit cata just to counter one buff from priest that will probably either be nerfed or disabled in pvp eventually?

How do you know cata give passive bonus 40% block Penetration? Where is that comes from?

That is a cata class attribute. You can read about it in every single database.