Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] In-Depth Explanation and Discussion of Swordsman Builds - by Autentist

hey people Im back!
Autentist, you should consider the gear on the build there are some nasty hidden gems that can change the way a build works completely (EX theres a way to make a combat alchemist focusing incrafting, but thats my secret :wink:)

The hoplite 3 dragoon can become really powerfull and versatile if you got those:

shield skills activate elemental shield damage so if youre going to use stuff like syncro thrusting I reccomend those:

there are also lots of armors with nice effects but there are too many of them to post.

With Deeds of Valor at level 10 I can keep it up 100% of the time, thus with no need to re-stack right?

No. Because in order to gain full effect from Deeds, you must be hit 10 times.
Sure, you can uptime the duration itself, but the effect will still be Level 1 Deeds, until you are hit 10 times for stacks.
It wears off, basically, you need to replenish your stacks.

2 Likes

But I mean, I use it for the first time, then I get hit 10 times and get 10 stacks, but when I use the skill again before it ends, the stacks will go back to one or stay at 10? Thanks.

Oh sorry I readied again and now I understand, i’m not native in english

OH, I see what you mean. No, they don’t. After you cast it again, mobs must hit you 10 times again, in order for the buff to gain effect.

2 Likes

Thank you!

20c---------------------------

Oh well then that is why it is better to get dragoon…

The thing is, I saw another guide that said I would not need to re-stack, look:

“Deeds of Valor (Level 5~8~10): Now, Deeds of Valor is an interesting skill to level up at this Circle. It is still as good as ever, and spending more points into it will allow you to increase it’s effect and duration.
Many people say that it is not worth it to level it up because it will take forever to take 10 stacks. But they forget that you will have a 100% up-time on this skill so >you are not going to have to keep on regaining them< each time and you get 1 stack every time you activate the skill.”

Oh but that aside, in the case that I would not need to replenish DOV, do you think it would be better to get doppel 2, or still chose dragoon for the S1P1H3D1 Build?

Hmm, my info could be outdated, since last time I played KToS was months ago. I’m pretty sure these stacks were needed to be replenished again every time after cast. I will personally test this on OBT then.

Dragoon is for single-target nuking, your Spear choice.
Doppel for AoE, your Sword choice.

Both are very powerful and good.

2 Likes

If deeds can be uptimed without needing to refresh their stacks would you say there’s worth in taking it that high?

@Autentist
So, i’m starting to plan my build and came up with this right this morning:

It’s fairly close to your “All-rounder cata/dragoon”, but I went Hoplite C2 for finestra lvl 10 and sacrificed CataC3 (and thus, Rush). Can this build work like an all rounder, too?
I’m trying to get the best of hoplite, with Finestra, while still having some of the advantages of Cata, such as the mobility and the Atribute to block penetration. Not sure it would be as good as it sounds.

Also, i think it would do best with 4:1:1 str con dex, right?

Ty so much for this guide!

@Autentist

Thanks for your comments above.

Heres the 3rd build.

Kinda stuck after going swd-pel-barb3

It’s strange to see Vertical Slash in builds again. When Sky Liner has 0 cooldown VL was useless, but now I’ll consider it again for my Doppel if I take away 1 lvl of Crown.

I don’t know the real formula for the damage. I’m pretty sure it was +100 of damage (10%?) per debuff when I tested it with Bleeding + Stun. With Armor Break the damage increased about +300, depending of the mob/boss.

Why is trot useful? Is it really that much of a difference to not use a companion? AFAIK you can’t cast it on yourself on foot, and I wonder if you can use dragoon skills while on your companion. It does look really cool but can you cast dragoon skills while on a companion?

Yes you can cast their skills on a companion.

Flagged for obvious reasons xD.

And any good guide with the actual infos on skills, should be pinned.
So that begginers don’t spam the same questions at 29th xD.

Hello sir @Autentist sorry to bother you but i was wondering if that maybe you could help me to make a build for a fencer who is good at pve but doesnt suck for pvp i’d rather play pve but i’ll probably play some pvp with my friends if you can help me that would be great thanks :3 i was planning to use this build http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/5mmf42w9da/ is that good?

Answered above.

@Horyu

You will definitely need all three Circles of Cataphract, because you miss out on uptimed Trot and Spear Throw Spam for Hoplite. I understand your point, but in this case, making a hybrrid build form these two won’t do you good.

Go with 4:2:1 still, if you insist on taking this build.

@chrisyty

Rewieved above, take a look, maybe there is something you would like.

@MattBR

Yeah, that’s why at least one point there is needed, all for maximizing your damage. At least with Dragoon, who benefits greatly from this, actually.

@Phntm

Answered above.

@ravash

Fencer builds are coming next, look forward to them!

[size=25]Updated.[/size]

• Some strange things happened to me and my URLS, they were glitching a bit, sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Added Doppel builds.
2 Likes

Hey Autentist. Since youre up to barbarians, I would like to offer some personal thoughts after analyzing the class for the last week or so. This is a copy/paste from a message exchange I did with another person who played barb heavily, and the insights are heavily based on his experience but also my own theorycrafting.

You might not agree with this but I came to a conclusion on barbarian just yesterday before going to sleep, or maybe even after I woke up. Barbarian has nub traps. Heavy nub traps that dont look like nub traps but are just that.

The 5 skills we have in mind for barb are always the same arent they - seism, cleave, helm chopper, warcry and frenzy, right?

Helm chopper and cleave are a good combo, we want them both since even if a mob is not good against slash x2 damage from a stunned mob is good. What is a nub trap here? The nub trap here is, you would be better off having high helm chopper then seism Or frenzy. Seism has awesome damage, true but it will never deal as much Slash damage as cleave does if we consider the mob will be stunned. It has 2 more aoe ratio but thats it.

Now here’s the kicker. Depending on your build, seism Might be better then frenzy. But at the same time it doesn’t have to be. Yes it does great damage but if you make yourself full of skills that do damage, you won’t have the time to autoattack to get frenzy skills up. Likewise, if you won’t have that many skills or skills on long cooldown, seism can either fill that role or work against you in getting frenzy stacks - at which point you’re left with a skill you never use and badly spent skill points.

So what am I exactly saying? I think that the optimal way to build barb is having cleave, helm chopper And warcry high. Warcry, because at least in my peltasta build I can always count on that additional damage being there and later on, on 3 star maps where mobs agrro themselves - no one will not even if you go highlander c1. As to seism and frenzy? I would pick one of those depending on your envisioned playstyle.

For example, with c1 doppel you wont yet have the skills to fill that whole hotkey bar, with a full rotation. What you will have is 5 DoV stacks which would make that frenzy give you 600 not 400 dmg after stacking both. With doppel 2 it won’t be as obvious anymore the skills from c2 dont have overcharge but animation lasts a bit so you Might have the time to autoattack while skills are on cd still. Im not sure, I didnt play a swordie so I only know the mechanics behind it not actual skill behaviour or ping dependent issues.

So yeah, just a bit of my thoughts about barb and possible nub traps :grin:

@creative34521 & @Autentist thank you both for answering, it is a lot clearer for me now too. I got confused because the skills didnt have in the description like the cata skills.