Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Hoplite - By Cathexis

Early on, Highlander just deals insane amounts of damage through Cartar Stroke; however, that damage starts falling off as levels keep getting higher.

Peltasta is the opposite: you start with a rough early leveling but once you get to higher ranks, where your damage starts getting good, then the ability to AoE taunt mobs is just incredible and totally worth it.

I am expecting Cartar Stroke to be nerfed in the future, as the game comes closer to release, so I think picking Highlander to level up faster abusing Cartar Stroke and get to see more out of the beta is fine. That said, I firmly believe that Peltasta is the sure winner at later stages of the game, even if Cartar Stroke remains as it currently is.

@Cathexis This is the best guide ive found for Hoplite ur build made me remake my character without regretting it since it improved my game play soo much keep up the good work awesome guide ā€œTHIS IS SPARTAAAAA !ā€

1 Like

Hey Cathexis,
thank you very much for the guide, I made a hoplite and am lvl 55 currently. One question though (to everyone):
Do you also have some problems sometimes with hitting the enemies? Because I have just base dex, my accuracy isnā€™t that highā€¦ so sometimes the enemies dodge my thrusts

Hey @Cathexis
first of all, thanks a ton for the detailed guide! Itā€™s really something else and inspired/motivated me to start a fresh character, because Iā€™ve been having real bad luck with my class choices so farā€¦
I was wondering, you linked Stormakovā€™s Leveling Guide, it might be better to ask him, I couldnā€™t find him on this forum tho: He talks about saving all Level 3+ EXP cards until lvl 165. It seems he saves the Level 1+ cards as well, but never really mentions doing so or using them. What would you suggest? I know the whole ā€œSave EXP cardā€ debate has been going on forever, but how do you personally handle your EXP cards?

Thanks. Would you recommend re-rolling to Swordsman1>Peltasta1>Hoplite (and so on) if you are on Swordsman1>Highlander1>Hoplite (and so on)? Iā€™m about level 60 right now.

@verlstadt

I never had any problems landing hits against any monster. Make sure that always have gloves of your appropriate level, that way you can keep your accuracy within a good enough range.

If you are struggling, then put some points into DEX. But by struggling I mean that you miss A LOT, not missing 1 hit every 100 or something like that.

@Schezar

Donā€™t worry too much about exp cards, use them as you see fit. For example, if you find a place where it is easy to kill and you get good exp/loot, then stay there for a little bit instead of using your cards. But if you find a place that you donā€™t enjoy too much (or you are very close to a dungeon minimum level), then use them to help you progress easier.

The only cards you really need to save up are the level 7 and level 8 ones, which you start getting around level 127~130. Also, really important: do not skip any dungeons. Get as many levels as you can from them.

@robflop98

You donā€™t really need to re-roll if you donā€™t want to, since you have already made good progress with your character. The only things you will be missing are Swash Buckling and Block, but it is not the end of the world, you can still do fine without them. Donā€™t worry too much about it.

Hey, Iā€™m new here. Made myself a hoplite and was wondering if i should max out one of stabbing/pierce and invest points into spear lunge or balance the 2, only 1 in lunge/long stride. Also i want to end off with doppelsoldner, and was wondering if it would be worth going cataphract for 2h spears and a new arsenal of moves to rotate around, or is going hoplite c3ā€™s finestra bonus/spear throwing outweight that?

Thanks!

Thank you for this guide. Iā€™m a new to this game and am at level 40 now as Peltasta but didnā€™t spend skills the way you pointed out.

I know I probably messed up the character so Iā€™m asking you some free advice. Should I reset skills or should I start over a new character and delete this one? A person in game told me to focus on Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite > Cataphract but I have to finish reading your guide yet.

I spent like this:

Swordsman Class 1

Active:
Thrust - 1 pt / Bash - 5 pts / Gung Ho - 1 pt / Concentrate - 5 pts / Pain Barrier - 3 pts

Passive:
Weapon Swap - 1 pt / Cloth Mastery: Magic - 1pt / Leather Mastery: Dexterity - 1pt / Plate Mastery: Defense - 1pt / Bash Enhance - 10 pts / Thrust Enhance - 10 pts / Thrust Continuous Attack - 3 pts / Provoke - 5 pts

Peltasta Class 1

Active: Umbo Blow - 5 pts / Rim Blow - 5 pts / Swash Buckling - 1 pt / Guardian - 3 pts

Passive: Weapon Swap - 1 pt / Rim Blow: Enhance - 2 pts / Umbo Blow: Enhance - 10 pts / Swash Buckling: Maximum HP - 1 pt / Shield Mastery : Block - 1 pt / Shield Guard - 1 pt / Umbo Blow: Add Knockdown - 2 pts - Guardian: Evasion - 1 pt

I have 28 str - 25 con - 2 int - 13 spr - 15 dex.

If I reset the character will my points into the passive still be there or will I have to buy them all over again?

Thanks in advance.

@Dominick

Hey, welcome.

You should get at least level 1 of every skill (Synchro Thrusting is optional). Then you want to max Pierce. After that, anything goes really, you can level up Spear Lunge for 2 quick high-damage attacks, or Throwing Spear and Long Stride for gap-closing and ranged attack. The rest of your points should go into Stabbing.

Cataphract skills arenā€™t that good to be honest, you would mostly choose it for the movement speed and the ability to use 2-handed Spears (plus a very nice costume).

Doppelsoeldner gives you more tools to work with, assuming that dealing damage is your goal. If more damage is what you want, then this is the choice you want.

@Baldr

Welcome to the game.

Donā€™t worry about Stats and Skills: We have Reset Scrolls that you can buy for 5 iCoins at the Item Merchant in Klaipeda (you can get more iCoins from the NPC Lena, which is located at northeast Klaipeda). You get plenty of points to spend and change your build as many times as you want.

You donā€™t lose anything when you reset.

I donā€™t recommend you to go for Cataphract at Rank 4, it is not worth it. If you really want Cataphract, then push it to Rank 5 or Rank 6. There is a little more of details on the guide about this.

1 Like

I think we need a lot of SP to use skills Gung Ho + Concentrate + Finestra + Umbo Blow + Rim Blow + Pierce + Stabbing.

Shouldnā€™t we put a lot of points into SPR?

Wish I could redistribute Attribute points.

you can reset your stat points pretty easily, just go to the merchant that sells hp/sp potions and choose icoin store, weā€™re given the ability to almost unlimited stat/skill resets. On the sp issue, not once have i ever had an issue with sp, every now and again I may have to use a potion maybe in a boss fight or something, really the skill cds are long enough that it takes a while to run out.

1 Like

Yeah, just like @suezo_me said, you wonā€™t have SP problems at all. Plus, the higher level you get, the easier it is to buy SP potions for situations where you need them, like dungeons.

No need to spend a single point into SPR.

Doesnā€™t mounting also give you bonus stats? I saw it on a loading screen tipā€¦

I currently lvl90 Hoplite C2 with 70 str and 90dex. Should i start invest in str if i following your guide? and do you know what level is enough for us to enter lvl90 dungeon?

@yuhan_shao

Yes, mounting gives you a very small bonus to physical defense and evasion and a good boost to HP. However, your mount must have stamina for your to get those bonus stats, and it loses stamina while you are riding it.

@chunchewpon

You can and should enter every dungeon as soon as you meet the required level. In my opinion you have too much DEX, you could test having more STR at this point since you are a Hoplite C2, which means you can keep Finestra active all the time.

what mount for boost hp better? and better for hoplite at all?

Are Vubbe Fighter Gauntlets and Strength Pendant BiS for this build?

Hmmā€¦ actually at level 45 as a Hoplite iā€™m spending a lot of SP Potions and running out of SP pretty fast.

Iā€™ve got 313 SP points. I run out of SP potions quickly.

Do we really need to use 4 active skills (Swordsman, Peltasta and Hoplite) or we should just focus on the ā€œactualā€ skills from Hoplite tree?

@deumore

Iā€™m not sure if different mounts (we only have 2 types at the moment) boost different amounts of HP. If I find any information about that, I will let you know.

A mount could be useful for mobility as a Hoplite once you reach Rank 6 or so, but it is not necessary.

@mikehava

Strength Pendant is probably the best, I havenā€™t seen a better option so far.

Vubbe Fighter Gauntlets not necessary at all.

@Baldr

You donā€™t need to spam your skills all the time, just use Umbo Blow and Rim Blow whenever you need to push/knockdown mobs to control them. All you need to do is keep Finestra/Concentrate/Gung Ho active all the time, saving Pierce/Stabbing for big groups of mobs.

You can see more of this play-style on the videos I have been uploading for this guide, like this one: Level 129 Hoplite grinding at Mage Tower 5F.

Also, good news for the future come in the new trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayYpOhqJXg

There is a new Spear class which is going to give Hoplites a better path to follow for class progression (can be seen at around 2:21).

1 Like

I donā€™t know why, probably itā€™s a bug, but my concentrate countdown sometimes disappear from screen while attacking mobs.

Gung Ho and Finestra countdown works ok though.