Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Hoplite - By Cathexis

I was thinking on going swrod1>peltast1>hop1>hop2>peltas2>Petalst3. Im focusing on taking(im peltalst 2 right now) and im loving it. I see that hoplite can make me tankier and do some dmg. What do you think on that? i was thinking on going Doppelsodner last Circle but im concerned that blocks cancel its skills (blocking cancel some skills dont know why). What do you think about it?

Thanks for the guide, with this some doubts were cleared. About the stats, I think that at least 10-20 in SPR can be really useful, maybe more if we choose a skill dependent class later on.

Cathexis, reading ā€œwhy should I play a Hopliteā€ that you wrote I can feel that you, like me, got really sad that we canā€™t test Centurion in this cbt :disappointed:

Because of this, Iā€™m going C2 Squire (hoping Centurion going to be rank 7). Looking at some videos, arrested mobs and bosses can still use attack and skills, but they canā€™t turn around :smiling_imp: , not sure about movement based skills.

Iā€™m only going to play Cataphract if they add a chocobo or a poring like mount.

do you recommend getting (and maxing) pierce or finesta first?
I got 1 point into stabbing first, but i will max it last

@nikkoalindayu1

Depends on what level you are at. But since Peltasta C2 doesnā€™t have too many tools to deal damage, you are gonna need to run with a mixed build. Something like 80~100+ STR, 40~+ DEX, 15~ CON or so.

You could also try to go with a heavy DEX build and spam skills, which could require you to put some points on SPR and maybe buy more SP potions.

Luckily we have Status Reset Scrolls easily available during the beta, so you can experiment a little bit and see what you like more.

@robflop98

Either way is fine. If you want to get Cataphract as soon as possible, then Hoplite > Hoplite > Cataphract will give you the ability to have Finestra active all the time when you reach Cataphract.

For Rank 6, it really depends on what you value more. If you go for Hoplite C3, you get more ranks for Finestra and other skills, plus a new skill in Throwing Spear which can bind enemies. While if you go for Cataphract C2 you will get a new skill in Doom Spike, which has the potential to deal some good damage.

For Cataphract skills, you want at least 1 point in Impaler. If you want clear speed, then 5 points into Earth Wave, 5 points for Trot and the rest into Impaler or Steed Charge, depending on which one you like more.

@bakeeeeeeeeeet

The thing is, you donā€™t really need to use High Guard at all. At least not for the content we have available during this beta. So you really want to look into ways for dealing more damage.

If you go with Peltasta 3, then that will give you couple more skills (with overheat) to spam and deal more damage. Could work too, but you will be relying on skills and SP to deal your damage (which could mean a few points into SPR or buying more SP potions).

@katharinagteles

If you really want to focus on playing as a tank, then you will have a little more difficult time when trying to level solo compared to most other builds. So this means you should try to party as much as possible.

If you go with Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Hoplite, then you will have a very nice base for doing everything: you can tank, you can deal damage, you can solo and you destroy bosses.

However, the higher level we get, the more difficult the mobs get. So if you choose to go with Peltasta C2 after Hoplite C2, then you wonā€™t get any new tools to deal more damage. This means you will have to rely on improving your equipment to deal the extra damage you need.

If you go with Doppelsoeldner, that will give you a lot of new skills to deal damage with. But I donā€™t know how their skills interact with block, we will have to wait for more people to reach that class and tell us about their experience using it.

@tabeleta

Donā€™t worry too much about SPR. We get a lot of equipment that adds more than enough SPR to never worry about it.

@alexcasar

Get 1 point into Pierce and Stabbing, then max Finestra, Pierce and Stabbing in that order. Finestra is just way too good, so it should always come first.

Thank you Cathexis for answering all of our questions/doubts :wink:

Awesome, thanks a lot Cathexis for taking your time to do this guide, it surely will help a lot of people going this path, i just got to the hoplite c1 and this comes in handy! iā€™m going for sword>pelta>hopt>hopt>catap>catap. keep it up! :smile:

@Cathexis which gems are good to use?

Weapon: Green or Red, in that order. You can also mix them by having 1 and 1.

Top and Pants: Blue for SP at early levels. After that, anything goes really. You can stick with blue or go for more HP with Red, or more Defense with Yellow.

Gloves: Green or Yellow, in that order. For pure PvE, Red is good too.

Boots: Blue or Yellow. Depending on your equipment and what you value more between Magic Defense and HP.

Secondary Weapon: For pure PvE, Red all the way. Green is fine too, depending on how much Critical Rate you are already stacking through the rest of your equipment.

Loved you guide! So, I am between your build and this one - Fencer Build by Cecil.

Any pros/cons? Thx!

Letā€™s put it this way:

My guide is for those who are mostly interested in becoming a Hoplite. If you follow this guide, then you will have a solid Hoplite build, which then can shake up itā€™s playing style later on by picking a Fencer (or other of the listed classes).

The end result is a build that is 85% Hoplite and 15% Fencer. Most of the time using Hoplite, and switching to Fencer/rapier when needed.

The advantage is that you can still do everything a Hoplite does, but as a Fencer you have access to Stabbing and Pierce, which are pretty great skills

On the other side, you have a guide that is oriented towers a final Fencer build. This means that you are gonna be a Fencer 100% of the time. Overall your build has more synergy because you will have more skills available to you.

To be honest, if your goal is to be a Fencer, then follow that guide as it benefits the Fencer build the most. My guide is pretty much all about Hoplite as the core of a build.

Hope this helps.

@Cathexis

You said Restraint is not useful for pve but pvp. Can you explain more? I mean, your basics attacks has chance to stun monster, it could be give you more survivability, particularly in high level.

I never said it wasnā€™t useful for PvE. The thing is:

At higher levels you are gonna be in a party most of the time, either doing dungeons or grinding. When you consider that Peltasta allows you to use Swash Buckling to AoE taunt mobs (with 25% increased HP), as well as the increased block rate and the access to Guardianā€™s 18% extra evasion, then it is easy to see why it would be a much better choice than Swordsman C2.

And even for solo play, Swash Buckling is just great and overall increases your grinding speed.

Hey Cathexis where do you recommend lvling up from 75-120 as a hoplite? Questing, grinding, both?

Also why not Yellows in wep and sheild?

@Cathexis Hey Cathexis. Iā€™ve seen your Hoplite videos in YT and Iā€™d say those are really impressive. Youā€™ve done the things my Barbarian canā€™t lol. Iā€™m actually planing to reroll to Hoplite -> Corsair and this thread guides me a lot. Thank you for your guide!

Created a new Swordsman with Hoplite in mind, but for the rank 2, I chose Peltasta as advancement. Andā€¦ Is it so hard to level up with Hoplite? It is with Peltasta, for sure, but I thought Hoplite would avenge that. Anyway, maybe I am used with the easy life that a Highlander has, and because of that, I am about to try again with another character, choosing Highlander instead of Peltasta.

Also, if you donā€™t mind, I have a quick question for you: about leveling, how good is a Hoplite when compared to a Barbarian or Highlander?

Your guide is great, by the way.
Cya :smile:

We have the same class build. However, Iā€™m not full str. Iā€™m like 90 str, around 70 dex. What I do is that I use CC skills like bash and long stride to knock them out. Hit them with few normal attacks. Bash again then repeat. They only hit me 1-2 times before they die.

Also Iā€™m using lather instead of plate.

@levelone120v

You can quest all the way up to 85~86, then you gotta grind a little bit. Check this leveling guide (in progress) made by Stormakov: Leveling Guide by Stormakov

For the weapon gems: Yellow gives you Critical Attack while reducing your Accuracy, which isnā€™t that good of a trade. You already get a lot of Critical Attack from STR, so if you can increase your Critical Rate through Green Gems, that means even less points required in DEX to consistently land critical hits, which turns into more STR and even more damage.

@Vyrmael

Barbarian builds are also lots of fun, even more if you go high DEX with them. If your end goal is to use Corsair, you can actually go with either, Hoplite or Barbarian, both have pretty good synergy with Corsair. Depends more on your playing-style and if you want to use Spear as your main weapon.

These are some popular Corsair builds:

Swordsman->Swordsman->Barbarian->Barbarian->Corsair->Corsair
Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Hoplite->Corsair->Corsair
Swordsman->Peltasta>Barbarian->Barbarian->Corsair->Corsair

I say this because you donā€™t necessarily need to reroll if you have already made progress with your character as a Barbarian, that way you can reach Corsair faster and get to play with it more before the beta ends.

@felipeg_oliveira

Yeah, Peltasta leveling isnā€™t as smooth as Highlander (considering how strong Cartar Stroke is currently). Hoplite Circle 1 gets better, but not quite there yet. Hoplite Circle 2 is when it really starts to shine.

Donā€™t worry too much about the early levels, since we have Status and Skill Reset Scrolls, you can mess around with your stats to always have the best for leveling.

For Hoplite leveling, here is a recent video I just uploaded: Level 125 Hoplite grinding at Mage Tower 4F

I have other videos at higher level zones, like Mage Tower 5F, Forest of Prayer, etc. Iā€™m might upload those later, but it is pretty much the same leveling style everywhere.

IDK, I feel like Hoplite is easier to build because Finestra nets you instant crit rate which is favorable because STR is as important. Going pure STR with no DEX but crits like thereā€™s no tomorrow looks like instant win to me imo. The only reason I went for Barbarian because I wanna know how it fares after losing Savagery and Aggressor and it still looks as funā€¦ rather funner (does ā€œfunnerā€ even an english word? Sorry not a native english speaker here D:) because it is now more action packed than before, although I think it is still better suited for Doppelsoldner Spin2Win build lol. I actually has one more character which is planned to become Corsair (currently sitting at Highlander C2) so continuing on Hoplite isnā€™t a very great idea, hence the plan of rerolling another character. I feel like this is the opportunity to do so while it is in beta, to test everything out and see which one better suited to me lol.

What is your opinion on Swordsman -> Highlander -> Hoplite, @Cathexis? Itā€™s not that I dislike Peltasta, but I really prefer Highlander just for faster progression lol. And that Cartar Stroke is hot :3

Donā€™t worry too much about it, have fun!

It is beta after all, so going with Highlander to take advantage of the OP Cartar Stroke and faster leveling time is fine. And yeah, it is a lot better to experience yourself different builds and see which playing style you enjoy the most.

Thanks, this helps me a lot :smiley:

Also, how big is the damage/utility gap between going R2 Highlander and R2 Peltasta?

I was wondering how much more utility Peltasta would bring you, since you mentioned that you get the most benefits.