Tree of Savior Forum

Failed to rest libraries necessary for game execution

Please fill in as much as you can :

Date and Time(Please, specify the timezone) : GMT+8, date and time in photo

Server Name: Klaipeda

Team Name: SugoDiAgnello

Character Name:

Bug Description :
(letting us know what you were doing before, during, and after the bug happened will help us a lot)
This issue happened after the March 26-27 maintenance (wizard reset event patch). I can play ToS on two machines, one on my laptop (specs down below) and one on a desktop PC. This issue only happened on the laptop. I have already tried to reinstall ToS (by reinstall I mean deleting the existing TreeOfSavior folder in /steamapps/common and replacing it with a copy of the same folder from the Desktop PC, because that one works), and I have also already tried to reinstall Steam because Steam updated as well before this issue showed up. Unfortunately I do not know what a viable IME means. The game execution path doesn’t seem bugged or anything, still at its default setting.

After closing this pop up message, either by pressing OK or Cancel, the Tree Of Savior process becomes a background process and consumes 30-35% CPU. I’m not exactly sure how long I’ve waited for this to do something but so far it doesn’t. It’s just there sitting and consuming CPU. Unfortunately I’m not tech-y enough to somehow find the process progress report or something to know what this process is really doing.

One more thing, due to a very annoying and potentially laptop destroying issue (thanks Windows), I’ve “disabled” Windows Update on this laptop, while it freely runs on the desktop computer. Does this contribute to the issue? Because this hasn’t been a problem with countless previous patches.

Looking forward to a response thanks
Screenshots / Video :
(attach screenshots or videos regarding the bug)

Game Control Mode (Keyboard/Joypad/Mouse) : keyboard mouse

System

• CPU : i7-7500U
  • RAM : 8GB
  • Graphics Card : NVidia GeForce 940MX
  • Mainboard :
  • Storage : 1TB HDD
  • Internet Connection : bad lol
  • Country, Region : Philippines

You can’t open more than 1 instance of the game, if the game is stuck in the process list, you have to force close it by ending it’s task.

And what is this laptop destroyer update you are talking about? Now I’m curious to know lol.

Well I run on Insider Preview versions since Fall Creators Update (the first build was a shitty one).

Yeah that’s what i do to cancel the running ToS process. The error still keeps showing up though :white_popo:

Windows Update in the background causes SO MUCH disk traffic that it slows my laptop down to a halt, leading to a forced shut down. Then Windows Update will try to revert the changes and restart the updating sequence, then cause disk traffic, then …

It’s an annoying endless cycle. Of course I would love to have up to date software but I’m worried that the continuous disk traffic might somehow affect the system “health” (I guess? I have no idea, but I’m scared lol), not to mention being unusable for a substantial amount of time because of this forced and untimely updates. I’ve read somewhere that being a lowly HDD is one of the factors but I don’t have money for an SSD. I can’t even remember what build of Windows 10 I’m on right now lol

Important questions before continuing:
Whey did it start happening?

Needed for understanding the reason and fix:
-> Any chance you installed a virus or something?
-> Did you run computer cleanup programs?
-> Did you disable services?
-> Did you change something on registry?
-> Do you have any Restore Points from before the problem started happening?

Informative:
What is IME? Read: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms971336.aspx

Possible fixes: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee418266(v=vs.85).aspx
(Do not follow this blindly, just check if you have those stuff installed, reply with your question if you have doubts about something and I’ll try to help further.)

It’s relative to languages:
If you did not change any settings try installing English language if not installed then Korean language. This isn’t harmful, so there’s no harm doing it by yourself.

Follow this if you need: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-missing-fonts

P.S.: I know it isn’t related to fonts, but there’s a guide here ^ for installing languages.

1 Like

IME don’t have much to do with that tbh, I don’t have Korean IME installed here, only Japanese and it works well.

First off, check one thing, go into the game folder: Steam\steamapps\common\TreeOfSavior\release, and find the file user.xml, open it, can be with notepad or wordpad.

After that find this option:

If it’s Korean, that might be the issue, change it to English.

WARNING: Don’t change this option, it’s related to character’s sound: The options bellow are either Korean or Japanese.

In case something in the system broke, it could be the VC runtimes, you can reinstall them and see if they work again.

When you open the setup file, it will ask if you want to repair or uninstall, I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling, but to not run into more possible issues, try just repair.

You can find the links here for them:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/DownloadsDrillInResults.aspx?q=vcredist

Just make sure your system is either 32 bits or 64 bits, in case of 32 bits only use the ones with x86 in their name, ex.: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86).
If you have a 64 bits OS then install both 32 and 64 bits (x86 for 32 bits and x64 for 64 bits).

About the windows update I know that issue, but since you don’t have much knowledge about computer stuff I suggest you to find someone you can trust to do this.

To fix that you need to download a CD image from M$ site and install it from there (they keep the DVD images up-to-date there).

You will need to clear the windows update cache (it’s done through disk clean up utility).

You can then extract the ISO file content using winrar or something that can open CD images (don’t use virtual drives since the boot installation need to access the DVD content) and it should update fine from there, at least in most cases.

1 Like

I just noticed this:

So, something was changed on Client_tos.exe/DLLs.

I thought that something might have changed some settings on their computer but apparently it didn’t happen.

VC runtime could also be a reason, but since the only change was the maintenance…

I’d guess the game now requires something that was updated recently.

So, what if you set Compatibility Mode for Client_tos.exe to run as Windows 8, 7 or XP mode? It’s worth a shot but could have side effects such as lower performance ( ? ).

1 Like

VC runtimes are updated by windows update, so since he has it turned off it could be outdated.

Its one solution to try too.

1 Like

Makes sense. I’ll try it as soon as I can

So I was finally able to fix it but in a weird way.

So firstly I tried to set the compatibility mode for various versions of Windows (but only the Client_tos.exe, I failed to set it for tos.exe in release/patch too) but that didn’t work. I also tried to update the VC runtimes from the Settings but that didn’t work out either.

After a couple of hours, I decided to delete a bunch of ipf files in the patch folder, leaving the latest file to be from March 18 (I think?). But after I did that, the client just keeps killing itself. It just disappears from the running processes after reaching 100%. The error didn’t even show up.

Then I decided to replace this copy of ToS again. But when I set out to delete the remaining folders after uninstallation, I was told that I did not have the admin priviliges to do this (even if I did have admin priviliges). I looked it up and discovered that it was a Steam problem. Uninstalled Steam, tried to delete the remaining Steam folders, same error. What I did was boot into Safe Mode to delete said folders. After the Steam folder in Program files was gone I installed Steam again, then ToS, then boom it worked. Note that this unable-to-delete-the-folder thing did not happen the first time I reinstalled Steam. I have a feeling that that had a lot to do with the problem, since that probably meant that there were remnants of the “execution path” error left there. My theory for what really happened is that Steam did have a problem after its last patch on my original copy of it. Probably. It was a wild ride.

Thank you for your responses!

That makes sense. There are few results for that that involves deleting subdirectories and files then the main folders, changing ownership of the directory tree and one related to Intel Graphics Driver locking some files for a game.

Especially this one if you want it for reference: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/143388132200842465/

(Note: You might still be using intel graphics cards if your laptop uses the optimus technology with discrete nvidia card, which is used for games/heavy stuff for power and intel for desktop/normal stuff to save energy.)

It might be possible that you ran into one of these issues which then made it impossible for the game to properly patch some files. Booting on Safe Mode will avoid most problems with processes and drivers locking files although that wouldn’t really change the way permissions works.

It might have been indeed a file-locking issue. Maybe a bug or something on older (or even current) version of drivers if you didn’t update them manually nor via windows update.

Glad you solved it! \o\

P.S.: As a note though, just in case, check your computer for malware and unwanted files. Even thought it’s likely to be something else, there’s a small chance file-locking problems and stuff like this can be related to viruses and such. Making sure your system is safe and clean from time to time is always a good practice.

Thank you for these info. Really appreciate it!

Posting this in case someone encounters the same issue I had. Kind of a story below, so I will put a tldr down below for anyone that may want to try a solution that worked for me to get past this error.

I got this error upon installing ToS on a new laptop, and went through hoops and hurdles attempting to figure it out. Verify integrity, uninstall ToS/reinstall ToS, uninstall Steam/reinstall Steam, updating drivers, making sure DirectX was installed right, and all that jazz. Spent several hours troubleshooting that way. When all that failed I finally booted in Safe mode, launched the game, and behold…the game worked fine (should have done that first in hindsight, but I didn’t).

That’s when the light bulb went off for me, and I recalled a rather odd event with another game. Back when Rockstar released Max Payne 3 I had a similar issue of that game crashing/not launching all because of Wacom drivers I had installed on the comp (not even having the tablet plugged in, just the drivers existing on the comp). When I launched ToS in Safe mode all the 2-in-1 and touchscreen features get shut off. So I shut down my laptop, launched normally, deactivated all the tablet/touch screen stuff on the laptop and bam…ToS launched perfectly fine.

So Tree of Savior and Max Payne 3 (for me at least) couldn’t launch or function properly due to the games reading the tablet/touchscreen features as inputs for the game itself. Since the games couldn’t make heads or tails of the possible input/controls they collapsed in on themselves and crashed/wouldn’t launch correctly.

tldr: If on a 2-in-1 laptop, start laptop in Safe mode. If ToS launches fine in Safe mode, restart computer normally, and deactivate the tablet/touchscreen features and then launch ToS.

My client started doing the same error. Weird as I played the game fine yesterday, but cannot today. My laptop isn’t 2-in-1. I will try booting in safe mod and test if that makes the game run.

update : A simple computer restart fixed it. My guess is windows 10 at work here with the issue. It probably crashes some service related to that if its running for too long.

same to me,looks like the last windows update is causing this

There are few results for that that involves deleting subdirectories and files than the main folders, changing ownership of the directory tree and one related to Intel Graphics Driver locking some files for a game, I am satisfied with you but there may be some of the error comes with my laptop so I try the blog of 0xc0000185 that is much more useful.