Tree of Savior Forum

DPK System: The worst choice a company can make

DPK has the potential to be a good system if its implemented correctly. In this case however, IMC has fudged it up particularly badly. The whole intention of dpk to begin with was to make sure players get drops and are rewarded for their time spent farming. That was thrown out the window when they made it a global dpk for that mob.

If you are farming with a friend, sure it helps…that is, as long as no one else is farming as well.

For DPK to be kept, it needs to change. Revert it back to individual dpk, and lower the dpk drop rate by 90%. No item should require 10k kills (especially not 20k). Considering mob density on most maps, a 1k dpk rate for the rarest of drops is much more than fair enough (assuming individual dpk, not shared). 1k is still basically a .01% drop rate equivalent. Going beyond that is masochism, especially since most of the final equipments in the game require multiple items with extremely high dpk rates as it is.

7 Likes

First of all, TOS is not the creator of DPK, far more mmorpgs are using it. However, implementation gone wrong, the grinding became highly frustrated.

DPK is good intended that assure you to get the item with right amount of time invested. However, it is fairly easily manipulated and abused. In previous, average 2-2.5h can easily get 2 of them with swell body.

Then it evolved into top-down-DPK, which intended to solve the manipulation with possible of random drop before the hard limit. However, they put a hard range at maximum of 100?-1100 DPK and shared it across different channel. And This, make peoples crazy because somebody like me tried to farm 4-5h but nothing has dropped for few times, it give you wrong estimation in the false hope, because players from other channel can interrupt it. If it implemented within range of 300-800 DPK without share across channel, it would have much better.

When come to HG, the amount is too huge 10000~20000 DPK to be estimated, making it less attractive to hunt.

2 Likes

10k to 20k is just insanity. What are they going to do when people stop going to the HG so often? Lower the rates? Imagine the outcry from those who farmed for days and/or weeks with the 20k rate when its lowered to match current player density.

1 Like

DPK should be personal so it ensures you get the item after the set amount of kills.

Or a map wide DPK which affects an item’s % to drop, resetting once a player acquires the item. Basically 1/DPK. So if DPK = 500, then the chance to acquire the item is 1/500. Once, let’s say 250 monsters are killed from that 500, then the new chance to drop the item is 1/250. This makes it so you have a chance to drop the item at anytime, but with a last resort which guarantees a drop.

I guess the second method could work for personal too, making it so players who are more efficient at farming benefit the most from the formula. But not enough monsters to kill would make it so it takes a long time to drop down the DPK because each player has their own personal DPK counter.

idk, my opinion.

DPK is fine.
They have to:

1. Reduce drop rates 10k/20k is really insane
  2. DPK personal/party
1 Like

Another easy solution that has a lot of advantages:

Lower the Dkp value to Actual DPK/40 but multiply the item needed by 40, you can even keep the actual system of Map sharing.

1- More items will be drop encouraging sell or trade. Even if the price is Actual/40, if you sell 40 times more, you’ll get the same money. More items on the market => the game seems more alive
2- Even if your loot got stolen on another channel by a random passerby, it is not as dramatic as now, you’ll just have to kill 25 or 50 mobs more. Less luck involved, less frustration for players
3- The casual player will be able to get 1 or 2 items even by playing in small session and will feel a progression. Happy players => happy supporters
4- It makes more senses when you kill a monster with horns to get horns every 20 mobs than every 800. It is like they share only one pair of horn for the whole specie…

2 Likes

The actual is loved only by masochists players hardcore wanna be. It reduces the quantity of market items and creates an abyssal difference of conquests and power across the majority of players leading them to get bored and quit eventually.
Topic OP you are totally right. For more topics like this.

1 Like

The concept of DPK can actually be good and rewarding if they are done correctly.

First thing which the game designers need to understand that in order to maintain scarcity of an item, locking it behind a high dpk isn’t the only way to go about doing it.

Generally all players want to see progression that comes along with the effort and time they used

The above holds true for all aspects of the game, be it character development or item acquisition. Just lengthening the time needed to farm one such item (high dpk) makes players feel unease when they see no progression at all especially when the item didn’t drop after sometime in farming. This is made worse when they found out that their effort may be taken away from them when some other lucky player got the dpk item first.

There are actually a couple of solutions to this problem. I do find them to be good ways to alleviate the item farming (at least imo), let players have a sense of progression yet still maintain the scarcity of the item being farmed.

Solution 1

This is more for materials for recipes. Increase the amount of materials needed to make the item but reduce the amount of dpk needed to get an item to below 100. For example, if a sword needs 80x of mat A to make with 700dpk each. Convert it to needing 800x of Mat A with 70dpk each.

Ultimately it is still the same amount of time and effort needed to make the sword, but due to it being low dpk with high numbers, players feel progress more since they get to see their material gain increases.

Granted it will also make item acquisition easier due to market forces, but the materials needed to make the item can be adjusted to factor in material sales.

Solution 2

This pertains to both materials, items and HG cubes. It is to create a “middleman” for players to trade in lesser mats/cubes for the cube they want.

An example will be a HG npc middleman who takes in lesser cubes for a cube of higher quality. the HG will drop white equipment cubes every 70-100 dpk. 10 of these white equipment cubes can be traded via the npc for a blue equipment cube. And subsequently 10 blue equipment cubes can trade for 1 purple equipment cube.

As they are all cubes, the player, at any point of time can just open them to get the equipment they want, which corresponds to the cube level and quality. Cubes also prevent buying and selling through market or player trade until they are converted to items.

This functions like some sort of “personal dpk” and allows the players themselves control their progression, while keeping the scarcity of the high end items intact.

The same can be done for materials for high end recipes too, but with the alchemists’ magnum opus as the “middleman”. This has already been done with old R7 materials such as brown stoulet helms <> dawn crystal shards but I’m kind of surprised they aren’t even implemented for R8 content.

The above 2 solutions can work in tandem with the current dpk system, in which the current dpk will provide the sudden “stroke of luck drop” while the 2 solutions become the backbone for item farming and acquisition. This helps make item farming a much more enjoyable experience than it is now, imo.

13 Likes

I would would like to point out that once the dpk bug happened, a lot of people went to farm a level 40 item that has a ridiculously low dpk and low mob density that is used onto a equipment that is vital to most archers and swords, it is insane that it has been a year and the battle bracelet is STILL one of the most expensive items on the game (usually 10kk on Silutes market).

2 Likes

I already stopped. I found it a massive waste of time after one session of nothingness. They expect way too much from us and judging by the empty market many others rather spend their time elsewhere. At this point I’d rather bots and AFk necros farmed HG and just so the items can exist on the market and I could just buy them instead of waste 1000 hours grinding for 1 cube that’ll give me the wrong item.

Also the items are pretty dull in general. I expected unidentified items to give random affixes like in games like Path of Exile and Diablo 2 but they’re all the same and just random slots. Not very exciting. :frowning:

3 Likes

This is great! Please make a separate post and tag the staff.

I feel sad everytime I read your wall of suggestions because it’s clear the devs have their own set of ideas and will never accept advice such as yours.

Nekorin already did that, it was ignored. Check his posting history if u want to read about it

1 Like

@STAFF_Yuri @STAFF_Letitia @STAFF_Ethan @STAFF_Ines @STAFF_Amy @staff

1 Like

DPK should be used in tandem with a normal flipping drop rate.

Dpk is horrible. Punitive and extremely frustrating.
Let’s take a simple example, you are there farming a 5k-DPK item, when it reaches 5k, another player enters the ch and randomly kills the mob and tadammmmm takes the item that you are for hours … days farming . How can you say that DPK is not a COMPLETELY IMBECILE thing.

Want to keep disaster that is DPK? Okay but they should change how it works instead of being this ridiculously random thing they should change all DPK items to 0.01% drop chance and put a DPK through ‘‘quest mision’’ from which you choose an item to make and then Complete DPK you would have your item.

[quote=“Noobstein, post:16, topic:362905”]
Want to keep disaster that is DPK? Okay but they should change how it works instead of being this ridiculously random thing they should change all DPK items to 0.01% drop chance and put a DPK through ‘‘quest mision’’ from which you choose an item to make and then Complete DPK you would have your item.[/quote]
With other word they should change the DPK to RNG? Do you even know what a DPK is? In a DPK-system rates don’t exist, so a 0.01% drop chance is not possible.

Sorry if I was not clear. I said CHANGE DPK system to normal drop. And the items that are currently by DPK would have a chance to drop of 0.01%.

And add a ‘’ QUEST MISSION ‘’ system in which the current DPK values (of the DPK items) are used to complete the ‘’ Quest Mission ‘’. For example a current item that has 5k-DPK, you will pick up the ‘‘Quest Mission’’ and when you complete the required kills, you pick up your item.

1 Like

DPK is a good system, but they way imc has it makes it not. as of not, DPK is shared, which benefits high DPS players with AOE only. so clerics who arent PD or a lot of swordsman builds arent really going to benefit due to being melee or having no AOE. the reason they dont benefit is because high DPS AOE builds can kill an entire room in the same time a non AOE build can kill one monster. if every build had good AOE and damage the sharing could work, but not every build is equal. thats why the sharing does not work and whiy it hould be removed. also, the insanely high DPK. along with the sharing of DPK count, having to kill about 500 pretty much minimum for anything decent and abount 20k maximum is terrible, (remind: along with the sharing). and even at the HG, you get a cube, which has like a 1/10 chance of being what youre actually huting for. along with the lack of AOE on many build, low monster density, high monster health, and sharing, it could take days to get what you want. you could actually grind up enough money to just buy it from the market instead. thats what i did.
the DPK counts need to be lowered to around 1k max on the rarest item (if the monster hunted is populated) if there are low amounts of the monster on the map (like galoks) then around 300. but come on, really? insanely high DPK on a monster that rarely spawns (BB) ?

Even though i like the regular 1%-100%, DPK could work if it was done right. 1000 kills for a 1/15 chance of getting the item you want at the 320 hg is not right D: . thats literally 15k kills (assuming nobody else was on the map and you got the item you wanted last). and thats without sharing. with sharing it could take you 15k kills to just get 1 cube.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.