Tree of Savior Forum

[Discussion] How would you improve the Enhancement System?

Make it like PSO2’s current grinding/enchancement system. Use other weapons to increase grind/enhance level. As well as having a cap.

With the grind exp increasing from rarity, same weapon type, same weapon name, and grind value of the fodder.

With it also having a higher cost the higher the rarity (or level), as well as having a exponential growth the higher the grind value to promote making grind fodders and potentially reducing end cost.

Of course the higher the rarity/level the better the exp growth it has, but it requires more grind exp to increase it.

This would also give more reason to use all of those random weapon drops for something and it would even promote something new and good to sell in the market at all levels.

IMC can even sell exp boosters to further increase the grind exp gain from the fodders or do it like PSO2 and have a “great success” function which increases grind exp gain and sell % booster to that.

It would even give more reason to make lower level grinded/enhanced weapons instead of saving all the anvils for your special endgame weapon. And armor pieces as well.

Though in PSO2’s case, max attack increase from grinding/enhancement is only +35% of the original zero grind weapon. Instead of whatever absurd values ToS has. Though, honestly, reducing the gained attack from grinding/enhancing would help tremendously for balancing, make attack stats from STR and INT more relevant, and would actually show some sense and skill for parts of the game instead of just one shot bosses. Of course, it would also piss off a lot of people because “MUH DMG!!”

2 Likes

I would be happy If they just would increase the Gatcha chance for DA’s

If ever I’m lucky and wealthy enough to get those +21, +30 or +40 equipment.
I’m He-Man

but I’m still going to enhance further that is and because…
he-man_sad

Remove enhancement system and anvils completely.

Bring item EXP (leveling) and weapon/armor type mastering system, like if I use that weapon/armor for fights long time it level-ups and my mastership level increases for that weapon/armor type. (since IMC loves necrobots they can easily AFK level-up items).

or

Remove anvils.
Limit +21.
Bring +1 enhancement stones which drop from mobs/bosses/cubes/quests/new dungeon/etc. (since IMC loves grinding, it will never end).
+1 enhancement stone from leticia/gatcha cube (since IMC wants to milk us)

4 Likes

Why did they choose item enhancement system in the first place? Its a rusty old system that even kids get learned about it in school, history books tells about how it sucks. During the years of playing with mmorpg, many realized how faulty and problematic the system can be, and the solution is always the harder part.

I kinda like this one and they should really make int and str stats more relevant to builds. Some are going full con and just relying on the atk of their OP weapons.

If there was some way they also just lower or make all weapons and armors with almost standard atk and def and just differentiate them with unique effects. Reduce the rng and give players a lot of choices for unique builds or equipment setup.

With 200 str unlock this effect of the weapon. With 80 dex get bonus aspd.
Equipping 2 sets of leather will grant movespeed bonus.
With 400 con double hp but reduce patk by 30%.
A weapon with an effect of when using lvl 5 armors will grant bonus atk to your weapon.

I’m not sure if that would be fun for others though.

1 Like

Nah, than they cannot sell gatchas with Diamond Anvil in it. :wink:

(Arc The Lad 2 used a system similar to that and i loved that game)

Disclaimer: I am not saying that i am in favor of Dragon Nest’s enhancement system, but i just wanted to share how things work there:

Most equipment’s safe upgrade is +7 i think? (if my memory serves right). To upgrade them you need upgrading jewels. Each cap introduces different jewels (e.g. lv 32 items need jewel ‘ores’, lv 50 items need ‘polished’ jewels and so on) so you’d have to grind…

The twist is that after +7, it would have a chance to break (break as in destroyed upon failure) - and if you don’t want that to happen, you need to buy an item in the cash shop called “jelly” to protect your item. What it does is ensure that the item won’t break upon failure, but it would still consume jewels and materials.

So obviously as long as you have money to burn, you can reach your desired upgrade level. I am fine with having +12 waaaaaaaay back when i was active, most min-maxers and whales settle for +13 to +14. Max enhancement level is +15 that time. Not much players push to +15 because… the success rate is a measly 1%. (i think the current max enhancement now is +20… and the safe is +10)

And as a final note, DN do give a lot of opportunities for the player to have FREE jellies, just saying. In fact, their gacha (which has a chance to produce jellies too) are a common event prize and apology item.

As for TOS, perhaps they could rework the whole system. This potential crap is really one of the worst i’ve seen in MMOs, plus it shares gem slots too, as well as awakening, ichor etc. It is very limiting. +40 also feels absurd IMO.

“Enhancement Transfer” (DN has this too) also sounds good to me, so that the earlier investments would not entirely go to waste. To simply put it, enhancement transfer means a +11 aspana revolver and +0 masinios pistol becomes +0 aspana revolver and +9 masinios pistol after the process (the -2 is due to item level difference).

1 Like

Haven’t played in a long time. My friend said that enhancement goes up to +20 no reduction of enhancement level and just have a good supply of jellies and you can reach the max enhancement level easily. Jellies are sold in the trading house so even non cash players have access to them too.

DN actually improved their weapon system and old players can notice the improvement.

Dont really want to talk about another mmorpg when we are discussing about TOS enhancement system, but DN, i mean ■■■■ Nest is fading away into space and is deserving it. You dont have to pay a penny for potential to protect your hard earned equipment here, not to mention “the greatest blacksmith” Berlin uses jellies to protect your equipment not to break is hilarious. DN is more out-of-date game than TOS is, but thanks for explaining for those who doesnt know how enhancement works in DN. Bad examples are welcomed too.

I like the Idea of having a cash shop item that prevents breaking, IMC should consider it (but also consider easy ways to obtain it, as you said they could be reward items for a lot of things).

But the frustration is still real, even with an item of that preventing breaks. The main issue with ToS Enhancement System is, IMO, those level reduction penalties. Thank God I never suffered one of that -5 reduction, but I can imagine how frustrating it could be, and I remember how anxious I was while attempting an upgrade that could reduce 5 levels of my weapon if failed.

Potential system is nice, I like it. I just don’t like that now we have a whole lot of things that consume it, leaving a small room for Enhancements unless you use real money in it. It is fine to use real money, Cash Items should make things easier, but also not punishing people who doesn’t want to spend a lot. I agree with one guy that said that they should increase and review the Potential aspect of equipment, or at least make it so only upgrading through anvils be the only thing that consumes these potentials, no more Gem Sockets, Ichors, Awakenings…

1 Like

Why not IMC just stick to the loss potential on anvil enhancement and current transcendent. For me its more reasonable. In fact once the new content of weapon and armors comes, we have to do it again anyways.

1)IMO cap it somewhere to +11
2) buff gems/awakening/enchantments/cards to compensate either by making values %, more flat increase, more % increase, combination of three.
3) introduce more types of gems/enhancements/cards/etc to have more builds.
4) Increase certain flat increase buffs/debuffs to give actual % like cleave.
5) Introduce certain stats/equipment/gems that would solely increase bleeding/poison more than str/int does that would be viable for certain classes so it’s not all about auto-attacking or power bursting skills. Of course scaled down in PVP/GVG.
6) Adjust monster/bosses stat values/animations so this game could be more fun.

3 Likes

I like the idea of having some sort of RNG to equipment so that some pieces can feel unique and different. I just don’t think that the main stat (ATK) is where that RNG should lie, at least not in a fashion that makes a lot of players feel locked out of achieving a certain level of power no matter what they do. Unidentified equipment and the future ‘enchants’ are the former type of system while the enhancement system as it is now is more of the latter. In other words, enhancement as it is right now is very frustrating because it seems that certain levels of enhancement are more or less impossible or, at the very least, unreasonable to achieve.

Enhancement is a upgrade system that has too many ups and downs. Once you acquire a piece of good gear I think that the typical player wants to feel that putting resources into it (time, money, etc.) would strictly lead to an improvement. But right now it’s possible to spend money to lose progress. Isn’t that absurd?

I think that having enhancement attempts not lose enhancement levels is an idea in the right direction, but something that would need to be approached with caution. That would be like giving everyone diamond anvils, which would increase power across the board. Whether that would be good or bad is a separate debate, but I think that a change of that nature could feel really bad for the players that already spent a ton of resources on diamond anvils. Game balance (everyone is now generally stronger) and players’ feelings (some players’ hard work is diminished) both need to be respected.

That being said, I’d be very interested in seeing both golden anvils and diamond anvils being readily in game. It feels really bad thinking that there are some tools I can’t realistically make use of…

4 Likes

Cap it to the level i have on my gear plz imc, no one should be stronger than me.

t. Silutians

Let’s say some athlete breaks the 100m world record by running 9.0 seconds. What would anyone think? He’s taking illegal substances… Someone shows +40 item with current system? Luck… Many people do? Statistically impossible…

Concerning on how to reform the system… maybe simply remove the enchantment loss on failure and keep -1 potential. Diamond anvils don’t consume potential on failure. Silver and gold anvils are fine. Cap enchantment at +15/+20.

3 Likes

I would delete the whole system of enhancement because as players like to say here, it’s not RO. Let the rough systems to the old games, RNG for gears is something that the majority (not the community of ToS but of MMOS) want to abolish.

It’s a system for virgin twinks I would say.

1 Like

I’d do the following :

• Limit upgrade to +15
  • Safe weapon and armor upgrade level depends on grade :
    – Blue and below : +7
    – Purple : +6
    – Orange : +5
    – Yellow : +3
  • On upgrade fail :
    – If equip is below +10 when upgrading : reduce upgrade level by 1
    – If equip is +10 or higher : reset level to +10, low success rate
  • Improving odds of success :
    – Odds of success below +10 can be improved by adding any kind of ore (mithrill ore, Artilonium, Ferinium, etc), Talt, Gems or equipment of the same color to the upgrade window. The higher above the safe limit, the more ore is required to keep very high success rates.
    – Odds of success from +10 and above can be improved by adding equipment of the same color and an exponentially increasing amount of silver in the upgrade window. The amount of silver depends on the current upgrade of the equip. No 100% success rate possible, but you can’t go lower than +10 when failing.
  • Remove trans sytem
  • Remove potential system

In short : +10 and below can be easily achieved by just playing the game and collecting stuff to improve success rate,. +11 and above acts as massive silver sink. No loss of potential, no breaking of weapons so people can try as long as they want. Removal of trans system and cap of upgrade levels to make the games monsters and challenges in general easier to balance.

2 Likes

This is why I think enhancement cap should not change… but at the same time, 40 levels seems a little bit too much. Maybe finding a balance here would be an answer for this specific cap level situation.

But this and how the enhancement actually works are separated things. For me, it is not something about how high the enhancement goes but how you can achieve it, and the effort needed. We cannot say that what we have now is fair, specially when…

Yes, we could have better life if those items were more common, but also those rates and potential waste should be revisited too, so we would not have this feeling of wasting equipment that, for some player, can be hard to obtain.

This is a very nice idea! Would make “inferior” equipment a litte bit relevant, once they would be easier to get higher upgrades than the Legend ones. I just think that reducing to 10 when fail, even with cap 15, a little bit too much. But it is a nice idea indeed.

Also, giving ores more purpose would be really nice!

If those safe levels would change like your idea than they have to reset again the amount of potiential per weapon, enhancement chances.

A 4 level of enhancement reduction upon failing from a +14 is pretty harsh and would cause a ruckus just like the current system’s issues. Adding an option where the - 4 reduction is only applies if a certain condition is met would be a much friendly approach.
Like this: regulary, when a weapon/armor enhancing fail above +9, the enhancement level decreases by 1, else 4, but with a lower chance.

Also adding items such as equipment, gems, materials as fodder to increase the success rate of refining is an idea that i thought of too, IMC can introduce later a specific ore that is made for this, which can be acquired through daily quest, raid, ET, Astral or :nauseated_face: cash shop.
And would need to slightly increase the drop rate of some items so players can make progress with their equipment. This way grinding and farming would be more needed, farming parties presence would increase, market would be more active as a tons of valuable items would appear for simply just fodder. They also need to increase the maximum value of weight a player have so that they can carry fodder.

1 Like