Tree of Savior Forum

[Class] All-in-1 Comprehensive Chaplain Guide - Job Advancement, Skill Build, FAQs, Equipment & Overall Thoughts ~!

Hello everybody once again this is AikawaKazu.

I’m writing a guide for Cleric->Priest3->Chaplain in general.
What you will take for your Rank 6 & 7 class choices will ultimately decide the type of Chaplain you want to go for.

This guide should give you an overall idea of the Chaplain class as well as some of the FAQs I’ve seen regarding this class.

Personally I don’t usually write guides for classes unless I’ve personally played them myself which is why I decided to write this in the end.
(Also there are info for chaplains on the forums but they are kinda everywhere right now)

I’ve actually done a video version of this guide before writing this so if you want to see certain things visually check out the video first!

https://youtu.be/FwJua6rbk2M

In this guide I’ll share with you the following:

• Details on Pre-requisites for Chaplain Class Job Advancement

• Skill Build & FAQs

• Equipment Highlights

• Overall Thoughts on Chaplain as a whole

Pre-requisites for Chaplain Job Advancement

• You will need to be Priest 3
  • After which head to Orsha and speak to the Lord’s Guard on right of Inesa Hammondale
  • Lord’s Guard will tell you about the Chaplain Master speaking to guards in East Siauliai Woods.
  • Head to East Siauliai Woods and speak to the Eastern Woods Sentinel NPC which is located at the top left entrance of the map.
  • Eastern Woods Sentinel will tell you about the Chaplain Master having business with the cleric masters in Klaipeda
  • Head to Klaipeda and speak to the Priest Master who now will have an additional dialogue option regarding the Chaplain Master.
  • Priest Master will tell you about Commander Julian who is located at Divasia Peak where the Chaplain Master NPC will now appear for you
  • Click on your Job Advancement “tab” when you reach Class Level 15 as a Priest 3, the Chaplain option should now be present.
  • Confirm your job advancement to Chaplain to begin the job advancement quest which requires you to collect 50 Lost Materials that drops from monsters in Divasia Peak.
  • Complete your quest and viola you’re now a Chaplain!

Skill Builds & FAQs

Generic Skill Build for Chaplain

Generic refers to the availability of spare skill points that you can use to customize for your own build for R6/7 onward.

Cleric1- Lv5 Cure, Safety Zone & Heal
Priest1- Lv5 Blessings (Save Points for Rank 2 Priest)
Priest2- Lv10 Blessings, Lv5 Sacrament, Lv1 Resurrection, Lv1 Revive (Save Points for Priest3)
Priest3 - Lv5 Stone Skin, Lv10 Sacrament, Lv1 Exorcise, Lv5 Aspersion, Lv6 Mass Heal, Lv6 Revive, Lv1 Monstrance
You can change Sacrament to Lv5 and put 5 more points into Aspersion.
Up to your personal choice of increase your party member’s damage or increasing your own damage.
Lv6 Revive gives you 30% HP Recovery upon receiving fatal damage which brings you to Last Rites “Promising Spirits” HP% effect range that grants you bonus damage. 6 seconds invincibility allows you to enjoy that bonus damage increase without fearing of dying and then you can heal yourself back up after. You can also set up your safety zone when revive activates to further extend the duration of your promising spirits window.
Chaplain - Lv1 Last Rites, Lv3 Aspergillum, Lv1 Magnus Exorcismus, Lv1 Deploy Capella. 9 SP left up to you to decide where you think is best for your build and how you want to spec.
Eg. Deploy Capella has usefulness in GvG for providing buffs in respawn area instantly without the need for buffing priests skills manually.
Also good to know that you can have Lv0 monstrance but still receive monstrance buff when using Deploy Capella.
Max-ing Aspergillum saves you usage of holy water over-time (Silver saved) and similarly for Last Rites.

Q1: Do you really need Lv15 Blessings?
Q2: Do you really need Lv15 Aspersion?
Q3: Do you really need Monstrance?

A1: Level 3 Blessings is needed to unlock the +2 DMG per level attribute for blessings up to a maximum of Lv50 for +100 DMG for Blessings

In other words, Level 3 Blessings can give you +123 Damage
Lv15 Blessings will give you +170 Damage which is a relatively small increment of 47 damage at the expense of 12 skill points.

But most have the concern of whether 60 hit counts of Lv3 Blessings will be enough for Chaplain which will have at least 4 Damage (1 base damage number + 3 Additional damage numbers).
Do the additional damage numbers count as 1 hit count each?
Fortunately the answer is NO.
Assuming that it does, a Lv15 Blessings should only grant 36 Auto-attacks worth with 5 Damage numbers that my Chaplain has right now. (36x5=180) but my blessings buff didn’t disappear even after I reached 50-60 auto-attacks. I’ve tested this extensively, so the additional damage procs from Sacrament, Last Rites and Aspergillum do not contribute to additional usage of hit count of Blessings.
45 seconds duration of Blessings also only allow just around 60 Auto-attacks which makes Lv3 Blessings the bare minimum.
So indeed Lv3 Blessings will be alright even for any Priests build.
However you need to take into account the fact that Chaplain with 4/5 damage numbers actually have a multiplier effect in terms of the bonus damage you will have with blessings.
A Lv15 Blessings will deal 11,280 Damage more than a Lv3 Blessings in 60 auto attacks assuming 4 damage numbers.
A Lv15 Blessings will deal 14,100 Damage more than a Lv3 Blessings in 60 auto attacks assuming 5 damage numbers.
Personally I will be going for Lv10 Blessings for that sweet spot of +150 damage for a fine balance while free-ing up an additional 5 Skill Points though if you’re going for an support-orientated Chaplain then 3 points will suffice.

A2: The reason why Lv15 Aspersion is even being discussed is because Chaplain has a skill called “Aspergillum” which basically grants an additional damage number for your auto-attacks while its damage is based off the damage of your Aspersion.

Aspersion DMG can be increased via SPR (1DMG per SPR) and also via INT since it is magic attack based.
The attribute damage difference between Lv15 Aspersion and Lv5 Aspersion is only 210.
Whether you’re going for an SPR Heavy build or INT Heavy build, I personally don’t think that Lv15 Aspersion is needed, especially if you want more points in utility support skills such as Revive, Mass Heal & Resurrection.
10 Skill Points utility will most likely outweigh the raw 210 damage increase you’re going to get so I personally wouldn’t recommend Lv15 Aspersion unless you’re going for Rank 6 Cleric 2.
Cleric 2 will give you the additional healing tiles you need to cover-up your additional heals that you missed out of Mass-Heal, high hit counts from Safety Zone via mainly the attribute that unlocks with Cleric 2 & Divine Might are great additions to give you the support utility you need that can warrant more points into Aspersion.
As mentioned by many about the +48% physical defense isn’t really that good in ToS mechanics relatively, adding more points in Aspersion is mainly for raw damage increase.

A3: Monstrance is really not needed for Chaplain. If you’re going some type of Monk build with Chaplain I will suggest against it since it is not good though the lure of an auto-attack monk seems great with Chaplain.
Unfortunately, Monk’s depend alot on Double Punch which doesn’t count as an auto-attack hence will not trigger Last Rites or Sacrament or Aspergillum.
The synergy between Priest3/Chaplain really isn’t good with Monk builds which is why you probably wouldn’t need Monstrance.

Also you will have the issue of over-buffing in dungeons because including monstrance you will have 7 buffs on yourself including self-buffs. It is very likely for you to have party members that give you buffs resulting in some buffs being over-written.
Clerics/Swordsman have base 7 buff count limit and can increase up to 9 via a token and Rank 5 Lv130 Quest in Klaipeda (kill 100 Monsters in Forest of Prayer). Wizards and Archers have base 5 buff count limit and can increase to 7. This is actually my main reason for not adding monstrance since it is very annoying to see skills like sacrament get over-written because sacrament has a 1.5min cooldown on the skill.

You can still however add 1 point for that 20% Dex increase for your party members.

Equipment Highlights

Cafrisun Set is a must have for Chaplains up to Rank 6 at least.
The 4-set effect of Earth Property Additional Damage +12 is what you’re looking it.
Basically what it does is give you 1 more damage number to appear that is affected by elemental property attack increase from equipment such as Arde Dagger.
This additional Damage is also affected with Blessings and will help you with leveling and dealing decent damage at the start and even up to Rank 6.
It is relatively easy to acquire as the armor pieces are 100% Drop rate as long as you’re top 6 DPS on Cafrisun itself which has a short respawn timer of 5 minutes. Every time you kill Cafrisun, it drops a random piece of the armor and you can wear this armor set at Lv15.
Cafrisun can be found in Srautas Gorge .(http://www.tosbase.com/database/monsters/57275/)
The set pieces themselves are relatively cheap on the market place so if you’re starting a Priest3/Chaplain alt, you should be able to afford them relatively easily.
I highly recommend enhancing your Cafrisun Set to at least +3 so that you can still continue to use it even until Lv170-200 where you will switch to the Roxona Set armor. The extra 200-300 damage you can get from 1 more additional damage number is no longer that significant at that point compared to the increase stat bonuses and physical defense you get from the roxona armor set.

The next equipment I’m looking at is the Toy Hammer (http://www.tosbase.com/database/items/204104/)
Drops from Archon Boss cube in Royal Mausoluem Storage / 4Hr Respawn Time
This weapon is extremely good for Chaplain because of the additional damage that we are able to have which is up to 5 with Cafrisun.
Toy Hammer causes an explosion on the 10th attack of the user and fortunately for us, the additional damage counts from Sacrament, Last Rites, Aspergillum & Cafrisun Set contributes to that attack counter.
This means that a Chaplain can get an explosion from the Toy Hammer every 2 auto-attacks with Cafrisun or 3 auto-attacks without.
Toy Hammer’s explosion damage unfortunately scales with PATK so it will not scale well as you progress into the later levels of 200 and above.
(Toy Hammer’s Explosion DMG is 4x your Physical Attack, transferred my Toy Hammer to my Hoplite which had around 450 Physical attack and the explosion damage was 1800)
At my current state, my Toy Hammer Explosion is around 1300 DMG.

With that in mind the next question you will ask is if Toy Hammer is going to be so good that it is better than Valia/Catacombs Club.
I’ve done the math behind it so basically the conclusion is this:
Magic Attack Increase from Valia/Catacombs Club is going to give you more damage when you use your magic attack based skills such as Cure & Exorcise when you’re bossing. Toy Hammer is still better for auto-attacking.
(In 2 Auto attacks Catacombs Club will deal 524 DMG less than Toy Hammer 's Explosion even with the difference in base dmg and magic attack added to aspersion for aspergillum)
In other words it is actually great to have both Toy Hammer and Valia/Catacombs Club.
You use Toy Hammer when your Cure/Exorcise and any other magic attack based skills are on cooldown for AA-ing and when they are off cooldown, you swap to your Valia/Catacombs Club to cast those said skills.
If you plan on getting Toy Hammer, I recommend skipping Valia and save silver to buy Catacombs Club or simply wait until you can hunt it yourself when you can run the Lv200 Dungeon. (Valia drops from Lv115 Dungeon Boss Cube so if you’re lucky you can still get it when leveling there)

For Bracelets you can go for 2 Wizard Bracelets (http://www.tosbase.com/database/items/602109/)
That you can later upgrade to Archmage Bangle when you’re able to run Saalus Convent at Lv240 and above. Just great MATK Boost for your Chaplain overall.
Wizard Bracelet drops from Shardstatue (Spring Light Woods Map).
My personal experience after hunting around 2000 of these things is that the drop rate is around 0.2%
I’ve had them drop 4 times within 2000 kills which is how I derived the value though I didn’t get all my drops on exactly the 500th kill if you know what I mean.

Other equipment such as Necklace you can hunt for Petamion from Lv130 Dungeon Harpeia Boss Cube and upgrade that to Max Petamion with the recipe dropping from the Lv190 Dungeon Boss Cube. Max Petamion is one of the best all-round necklace you can get that gives +14 to all stats which is even better than necklace drop from Saalus Convent that gives +13 to all stats. However to craft Max Petamion you will need Petamion first which is why it is so expensive on the market.

Final Thoughts
The first thing you should take note is that I don’t recommend going for chaplain as your first character.
Second thing is don’t build a monk around priest 3 and chaplain because double punch doesn’t proc sacrament or last rites.
Why I don’t recommend going Chaplain for first character is because the enjoyment of one really increases when you already possess the ability to own an arde dagger & cafrisun set at the very least.
Arde Dagger can be easily hunted as you play your first main character and cafrisun set can be self-hunted easily or simply bought off the market with some silvers.

For me Chaplain is not supposed to be made for a Full-Support Cleric build.
I label it myself as a Offensive-Support Sub DPS Class and obviously depending on your Rank 6 & 7 class choices this will defer accordingly.

What this means is that if you want to build a Full-Support Cleric, I personally don’t recommending choosing the Chaplain class.

If you strip away all the glamour of it being a hidden class, it actually only provides really one good buff that is Last Rites.
Last Rites gives Holy Property to attacks of your party members while giving them additional damage (one more damage line/number)
There are plenty of devil/mutant type monsters in ToS that thus grants you 100% Holy DMG increase so Last Rites is really good even until Lv200 and amove.
Aspergillum is a self-buff, and all the other useful buffs such as Stone Skin, Revive, Sacrament, Blessings etc. can be garnered from Priest 3.

Unfortunately for us, Magnus Exorcismus is very poorly designed skill which I hope can be changed in the future.
Your Exorcise Magic Circle when stepped on by monsters will trigger Exorcise. This makes it really hard for you to use Magnus since once that happens using the Magnus Exorcismus skill will result in nothing happening.
It is supposed to be used for AOE (which is department where Priest3/Chaplain is lacking) but you can’t use it easily amidst groups of monsters without risk of those monsters stepping onto your Exorcise magic circle before you can activate Magnus Exorcismus.
One suggestion to IMC Games will be to change Exorcise to have a toggle attribute just like heal tiles where we can prevent Exorcise from triggering when monsters step over them. This will allow at least an easier usage of Magnus Exorcismus in general though even if that is the case the skill is still relatively underwhelming.
Another suggestion from me on top of the one I just mentioned will be to make Magnus Exorcismus’s AOE grow in size just like Paladin3’s Barrier. The potential growth of the size/AOE increases as you add more levels to it which makes Chaplains class tree skill points allocation more interesting.
Right now it is just at least Lv3 Aspergillum, and level 1 for all the rest as a bare minimum.
(I’ve also read another suggestion where you can cast Magnus on monsters affected by Exorcise so to have a 20 second worth of damage making it a strong single target spell, that’s pretty interesting but I personally would prefer the one I mentioned above since Magnus is to provide some form of AOE)

That being said, Sacrament with Last Rites really helps to boost the offensive output of other classes that are auto-attack based that most likely have their own equipped arde,karacha dagger, venom, and mana mana. Quarrel Shooters with running shot really benefits from Priest3/Chaplains.
That also means that Chaplain’s offensive support does not synergize well with classes that build around skill spamming such as Fletchers and Wizards. So bear this in mind when deciding on making a Chaplain.

I’ve typed alot about Rank6/7 class choices affecting the type of Chaplain you will have ultimately so here are some of the suggestions that I’ll throw out there though I haven’t personally played any of them yet.
P.S I’ll likely be going Druid2 for my last 2 circles

Druid2 will provide further offensive capabilities with Lv10 Carnivory further increasing your single target DPS nuking potential (Carnviory isn’t really as efficient for anything more than 5 monsters due to it’s hit limit)
Sterea Trofh will provide 10 seconds of invincibility utility for my party members to cover for my short fall of other support skills.

You can also go for Cleric 2 into Plague Doctor for a safe route but Priest3/Chaplain/Cleric2/PD is definitely not the ideal PD build since you actually have zero status ailments that you can inflict yourself aside from the possibility of deprotected zone (which you won’t level up) and monstrance.
You will however unlock the safety zone attribute that increases the block count by 20 without even further leveling the skill.
Extra 5 healing tiles is also great not to mention utility of Divine Might to increase all your skills levels by one.

Going Paladin1 into Plague Doctor for restoration and healing factor seems interesting but Paladin’s smite is Physical Attack based and personally I don’t think a STR/DEX build chaplain is smth you want to go for since I’ve already mentioned against going for a monk build chaplain.

Point is if you want to build a Plague Doctor, maybe chaplain isn’t the route to go for.

I’ve also considered Cabbalist but I don’t know what I should get at Rank6 though Cleric 2 seems to be the ideal choice.

Other possible suggestions that are interesting can be going Pardoner-Oracle. This will give you counter-spell and increase magic defense that seems pretty great for improved defense against magic-attack monsters in dungeons later on.

Let me know your suggestions and your insights if you have any but I’ll be testing out the Druid2 route myself for late game and see how it fares if I’m able to reach Lv280 for Earth Tower.

In the end you can YOLO and go pardoner2 and make your Chaplain into a buff-selling mule if you don’t see yourself using it as a Main Kappa.

That’s all from me, I’ll try to reorganize this entire segment later on.

Thanks for reading and I hope this guide has helped you out.

P.S If you want to show some love and support for what I’m doing feel free to check out the links below
Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/kazuaikawa
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/TEGAikawaKazu

The next guide I’ll be writing will be for my Main Archer/Ranger2/Wugushi2/Falconer/Cannoner

18 Likes

What is your Stat Allocation? INT / CON ?

3Int1Spr. bonus points from quest into CON.

I used the stat simulator and put 180 points into INT, 60 Points into SPR, 39 points into CON, with 30 bonus points i can hit 14.5k HP without gear additions yet.

This should about where I will allocate my stats.

Thanks so much for this bud, what a wonderful job!

1 Like

Perfect guide since I already test all myself
My note:

1. Sacrament is not really great skill, just take 1 for additional dmg.
  2. Exorcise suck, never take it. Therefore Magnus suck too, Reasons already in the guide.
  3. Cleric c2 and PD is all round SUPPORT Chaplain build
    You can replace Cleric with Krivis and become HYBRID support - offensive. And then PD for more offensive build. I do personally like this route because you are now literally invincible (heal+stone skin+PD)but still deal decent damage. Note that I already solo Siluai mission with this build.
  4. Go Druid for complete offensive build. Note that I solo world boss cube with this build and get lucky most of the time. Even it’s crowded like ants.
  5. Leveling early game is easy, not hard at all. I can get to 100 in one day like my other characters. I would say because I know how to lvling my way. Yep, don’t take Chaplain as your first character if you have no idea how the game works yet.
  6. The changing job quest can be tricky. When you talk to the soldier in Orsha, sometimes you have to spam talk with him, also check if you already relocate all your skill points (just for sure).
  7. More to add, another final exam . . .
5 Likes

thank you for sharing input ! Really appreciate it, especially the part for rank 6 and 7.

1 Like

Yo good guide. I’ll need to take some more time to read it properly though.
But Aspersion will add more solo DPS then Blessing. Actually Blessing is the worst of the 3(asp/sac/bless) to upgrade.
The difference between lvl3 and lvl15 Blessing is 47dmg, with cafri set, thats applied to all 5 hits for a total of 235 dmg.

Adding 5 points in sacrament(going from 5 to 10) increases dmg by (16+16)x2 x5=320
(16 holy + 16 additional) x2(holy rites) x 5(for each hit).
Or 160 if your only using one or the other.

You also forgot to take into account the enhance for aspersion; however expensive it might be.
Going from lvl5 to lvl10 Aspersion increases dmg by 105x2 (210)
Going from lvl5 to lvl15(2 less points then blessing) increases dmg by 420.

Quick recap:
12points in blessing for 235dmg
10points in Aspersion for 410dmg
5points in sacrament for 320dmg
5points in Aspersion for 210dmg
Disclaimer: solo dmg only. Doesnt take into account aspersion is self buff and the other 2 are party buffs or added def buff from Aspersion you left out.

edit: Actually does holy rites add the additional dmg and holy atk to each atk or just to the holy rites atk??

1 Like

OMG you’re AikawaKazu from Dragon Nest SEA O__O Happy to see you here master hehehe

1 Like

Thank you for the guide. Could you provide exact numbers (in terms of additional damage and holy property damage) for Last Rites? I thought that it grants additional damage = additional damage from sacrament and holy property damage = holy property damage from sacrament, but whenever some Chaplain casts this skill on me, the result seem to be off…

man this is a whole next level guide lol, I am in a similar build like you then oracle kabbalist as I wanna be immortal lol, so I put less int more con, which then will also boost more hp once I get ein sof hehe, it has been a pretty good ride for me except before getting to chaplain where it took me 10 something minutes to kill a quest boss lol

It happened when ppl going for SPR based or lv1 cure only…
lv5 cure does almost 50% DPS when fighting BOSS with my int priest…
lv1 Exorcise will do another 30% if u have it…

Is it worth to spend so many points in SPR just for stoneskin? It seems useless for the most part also what do you mean by “bonus points” into CON? Just the statues?

statues and those you get from main quests. if you noticed you will get 3 points for some of the main questlines you complete.

1 Like

I haven’t done testing on the last rites promising spirits, so I’ll go test out last rites exactly and hope I can help you with your query.

And it is enough CON to stay alive? It seems that 90-100 points are required at higher level am I wrong? Also one last thing do you have problem hitting things wearing the cafrisun gloves with no DEX? This troubles me when I think about the early leveling experience, thanks.

As a player with 4 Chaplains, I have to say this is a really great guide! :smiley: Keep up the good work, thanks so much for posting it! I know it will be very helpful to a lot of new chappies. :heart:

4 Likes

Is this build capable of high level group dungeon healing or is it meant purely for support dps? If it can be a main healer with decent dps, what would you recommend for 6/7 while still keeping chaplain?

I do agree that you should give a slight mention to Kriv>PD as a viable option along with Cleric2>PD.

It Kriv actually synergizes well with PD as it gives you two more stauses besides cure to set up incinerate. Yeah Daino scrolls are a thing, but not everyone is hoarding Daino scrolls (at least yet). Zaibas is a nice bonus vs bosses, sure it’s nothing like carnivory even if you just took Druid1, but it’s a nice freebie for now with the end being Rank 7.

Though I understand that there are tradeoffs such as not having cleric 2 which is somewhat like the “Peltasta1 or gtfo” the swordies are facing.

I’m also interested in the Druid build myself, though I can’t help but build something for PD since I love the outfit, but chaplain gameplay so much! My current plan is (if the game still lives on) that I will definitely supplement my future circles with more damage classes (if there are any good ones)

I don’t have problem hitting things so far up at all.
Just make sure to enhance your cafrisun gloves to +3

You’re looking at around min.15k HP for end game Earth Tower.
I used to stat simulator and this is how I distributed my stats.

180 INT
60 SPR
69 Points to CON (30 from bonus u get from statue and completing main quest and 39 from leveling itself)

Without any gear you will sit at 14.8k HP which is exactly where I think is where I want to be for end game.

If you go cleric 2 for Rank6 you will definitely have enough healing tiles for lv190 dungeons and above.

Not going cleric 2 you will need to consider placing more points into Mass Heal which I did for 20% HP heal. Just don’t forget that it heals an AOE in front of where your character is facing so make sure you position yourself properly.

Going 3INT1SPR makes your healing tiles heal alot so even though you will only have 5 tiles (10 with overheat), you should still be able to top your tank and 1-2 party members up.

Main healer or not really requires your party members not to do anything stupid. Usually when that doesn’t happen you should have just enough heals.