Tree of Savior Forum

Character Stat System

As everyone knows, after each level reached, the players can spend points to improve some stats, personalizing and specializing their characters with uniquely. At least, it should be like this; however, after analyzing the game for a while, you can see that is not like how exactly the stats works. The expotencial scale of stats strongly encourages FULL [ stat ] builds, contrary to the proposal of a custom stats system (specialized characters).

Adding to this contradiction, there is still the bonus rank; for those who are unaware, in each rank advanced, characters gain + 10% STR or INT depending on their initial class. This also influences even more in builds, practically forcing players to choose only 1 to 2 stats to spend all their points.

The current Stat system pratically force the player to make only “FULL [stat]” builds; that’s really unhealthy for the game and it waste a great chance to create a awsome customizer system; this is how I see the stats. Taking into account this, I want propose a good discussion about the stats: how do you see them? What do you think that could be change? Fell free to show your opnion and trade ideas (and it also helps to decrease the boringness aka soon™ effect).

ps: google translator trash english™

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The stats system in ToS is quite terrible. Each individual stats gets devalued every time you level up which forces you to dump majority of your points in one stats. I think the problem lies within their calculating formula which are very linear curves.

For example, each CON point will add a fixed number of hp (85 for Swordsman) and HP won’t scale up with each level but instead you get another fixed amount of HP. Thus, what 20 CON points offer at level 50 is a lot but quite less important at level 150 when monsters hit harder. Therefore in order to keep the same advantage of the 20 CON at lvl 50 you need to invest a lot more into CON which forces you to ignore other stats. This example is applicable on other stats too.

3 Likes

Basically many mmorpgs are like that… For example, I considered the level up on Trickster Online well balanced since several stats rose at certain levels. Still, many chars was “full (stat)” in this game.

But i dont think Tree of Savior forces you to make “full (stat).” Believe me, I’ve seen Pyromancer full CON (!) and … it was funny, he took little damage, but survived the bosses in a way that made me jealous xD.

If your goal is to be a tank, and DPS, or support, you can choose the build that will meet this objective, regardless of the class you choose. Full INT or STR can be good for anyone who aims to be a DPS, but in return you will suffer a little more with the low defense than a player who distributes the points better.

Anyway, that’s what I think. For example, I intend to make a wizard 1:4:1 CON / INT / SPR until I was satisfied with the amount of SP, and then I will make 1:4 CON / INT. During iCBT2 I started doing full INT at a certain point and then suffered a lot when I arrived at the Mage Tower, so I will balance a little better this time, because I want. xD

That’s the new approach in MMORPG games. It appears the current generation are more in favor of having a very simplified stats system where you put majority of your points in one stats.

You don’t gain any defense from CON but you do get Crit resistance from it.

Oh, yes, thank you to correct. I mean, invest a little in CON help to survive longer due to more HP and critical resistance. So it helps in “defense” in general.

wow that sounds horrible. I was going to go for a hybrid build(spirit+int+con) with cleric, but now it seems I should choose either int or spirit.

Cleric tree has skills that scales extremely well with stats so you shouldn’t rule out a hybrid build. What is mentioned here is the value of each point to the character without taking into consideration any skills because class choices will differ between people.

I think the stat system is very interesting.
Full stat build is very unbalance and often “win 1 - lose all” when compare to the hybrid build. The bonus point system will reduce the advantage of the hybrid build and make you have to strategically think when you distribute your stat points.
About the rank up bonus of STR and INT, I think it is here because it can help the stat keep relevent distribution to the overall damage, without this, the stat can’t keep up with damage from skill and weapon. Another reason is keep balance the full damage build and hybrid build.
TL-DR: IMO, the system is to keep balance between builds, not to destroy any build.

I do agree the stat system is horrible. I also said it a lot of times. The stats themselves are quite okay but the stat bonuses are rly bad.

I don’t know what will be the max level and rank…but if we will rly have those 500+ levels and 10 or more ranks 1 point on str will give like 4 so putting it on anything else will feel like a waste.

What @Valeth said is totally true too… some ppl here rly think putting 30-40 points on CON is already enough… yeah maybe for our current max level but not forever… that 30-40 points of CON will be totally irrelevant if you don’t add more to it later…and at the same time that 30-40 could have been 60-80 on another stat.

My new idea for a solution is that maybe there should be stat cap that how many points can you put on a stat… and let gears break through that cap…and equip stats could still even get the stat bonus or something… but there are so many ways just don’t leave it as it is now…

Oh and I think skills could adapt to a new stat system easily… I don’t see it like some that it would ruin everything and skills should be balanced again too.

…and 1 more thing… I don’t rly like that there are almost useless stats for some classes. Even melee wizards doesn’t work well…I mean I wouldn’t even advise it as a “for fun” build…

also I had this topic where I attempted to make a stat system for my taste…and other things…I thought about necroing it but maybe some parts are a bit outdated now and I’m lazy to update it.

Well, reducing efficiency of each new stat allocated must encourage ppl not to put all in one stat, am i wrong? =) I think stat system is very good, especially hit formula. You can get good chance of evasion soon enough, but need to invest in dex a lot to keep that effect while you gain new levels, so no more damn ethernal 95% evade bastards! Also, almost all stats have more than 1 effect. CON, for example also increase crit resistance and block, wich increase your effective hp.

Putting 40 points into CON ( accounting for bonus points ) gives you an extra ~4k HP. Having an extra 4k HP isn’t going to be irrelevant.

A good example would be DEX though, as for an offensive stat the crit rate you get from 40 points in DEX will completely fall off as you level, due to crit chance becoming harder to get at higher levels.

I also don’t agree that melee wizards don’t work well. I’ve seen a STR linker/thauma/chrono with a toy hammer kill faster than my DPS swordsman could at the same level.

I’ve been thinking that a stat cap could work well, but it would have to be designed around not restricting people into obvious builds. I was considering something similar to Seiken Densetsu 3, where your stats have caps based on your level, and the cap can increase as you level. It’s not an easy thing to design though.

The biggest problem is that you get bonus stats the more points you put into a single stat, and this bonus just keeps getting better. At 100+ points you get a bonus point every 4 points instead of 5, at 150+ you get a bonus point per 3. Add onto that the +10% per rank bonus to STR/INT, and it’s too much of an incentive to go purely into a stat.

Stats should be standardized to give the same bonus per point, and if there is any bonus, it should be flat ( like once every 5/10 stat points for every stat ).

1 Like