Tree of Savior Forum

[Build] Marsh's Monk || GvG/PvP/PvE || Do it all and do it amazingly

Hello everyone! I’m Marsh and I’m coming at you offering a fresh, new perspective on the Monk class. As to who I am: I’m a high level monk player, ex-challenger League of Legends player, as well as former iRO Veteran of 10 years. Needless to say, I love GvG/PvP, theorycrafting, and competition in general. I had promised a few people I was going to write a guide for monk. It’s come to my attention that monk is a very underrated class. I’m here to dispell all the negative stigma and shed some light on Monk’s true power. Let’s get started, shall we?

Pros

• Lots of Utility and CC
  • High Sustain
  • High Single-Target DPS and Burst
  • Versatile build - You can solo or support a party
  • Strong GvG and Battle League
  • You’re a literal Saiyan

Cons

• One-dimensional grinding - It’s literally just double attacking while Kamehameha is on CD
  • Immobile - Essentially no gap closers for PvP
  • Position lag makes playing this class hard when trying to chain CC
  • Long CD on Energy Beam
  • Still somewhat squishy (Small HP Pool)
  • Very money dependant - Needs high level attributes and great gear to start shining

Skills

Cleric 2
Cleric 1 is not enough to keep parties sustained. You also have the benefit of Divine Might for more damage or higher level buffs. Whatever you so choose. Max Safetyzone because this is a must. Cure 1 since you have no INT. Deprotected Zone 2 is just a filler. Fade is good just for going around areas without being focused.

Priest 2
This makes you great at supporting yourself or your party. You’ll have sacrament to proc the double attack, revive, and mass heal for added sustain. You must get a point in monstrance. +30 DEX is ridiculous (This scales better and better the more DEX you have). I cannot stress this enough. Aspersion 7 is a preference since I like getting in there. You can change around points here to what you see fit. I encourage innovation! :slight_smile:

Monk 3

• Iron Skin 1 - Just to have. Not really necessary. It leaves you vulnerable and you can get CC’d while using it.

• Double Punch Maxed - Your bread and butter. Max this attributefirst. Pump it up with all your attributes ASAP.

• Palm Strike 1 - This is just for Utility

• Hand Knife 1 - Utility

• Energy Blast Maxed - Also your bread and butter. Max this attribute and pump all atributes so you can be a full-blooded Super Saiyan.

* Rumor: They say Energy Blast scales with CON and INT as well. Not confirmed.

• One Inch Punch - This skill is so good for PvP, I don’t even… Max it for the duration and damage. Instantly saps enemies SP and causes them to bleed internally. How savage…

• God Finger Flick - Use for Interrupting mages or as a finisher.

• Golden Bell Shield - Good with attribute but you can’t cast anything while using it.

Stats

Most of monk’s damage derives from Double Attack, Kamehameha, and occassionally One Inch Punch. All monk skills scale best with Physical Attack, Crit Rate, and Crit Damage (Yes, even your Kamehameha scales off Crit Damage). As such, the primary skills to stat would be STR and Dex for damage with a little bit of CON to survive. How much CON I would say is up to you.

I recommend:
200 STR
30 CN
200 DEX

This is the healthiest build. It allows you to do everything you need to do whether it’s PvE, PvP, or GVG. You want to aim to have anywhere from 300-350 Crit Rate. Even more if you’re PvPing.

Equips

• Weapon(s): Suncus Maul, Arde Dagger, Karacha Dagger, Catacomb’s Blade, Magas Mace

• Shield(S): Aias - for the block and crit resistance in PvP

• Get Green Gems at least Level 5 and socket your weapons with them. You need Crit Rate badly. Suncus is great for all stages of the game really. You can just overupgrade one and use it for a while.

• Virtov Set/Roxona Set (I Prefer plate for the HP)

• Max Petamion/Petamion

• Sissel Bracelet 2x or Gladiator Band 2x or Zachariel Bangle

• Headgear - Anything that gives you Physical Damage or Holy Property Attack. You can also go for Crit Rate or Damage.

Alternative Builds

Stat (Only if you can get your hands on a High Upgrade Weapon)
100 CON
300 DEX

Conclusion

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my guide on Monks! If you’re interested in gameplay or have any questions, feel free to ask questions or contact me here, in-game on Marshes, or at my twitch at twitch.tv/marshlol. Until next time friends. <3

3 Likes

On the ICBT 2 I followed the Priest 3 path, excellent for solo but had it limits for party. Now I m taking the Cleric 2 Priest 2 way mainly for the party play. Bless I left it ok on 3 for the atribute damage, i didn’t felt difference between lvl 3 and 10. Revive to lvl 5 to me, if its only for you lvl 1 it s enough but when you are in a party, the extra HP and invencible time hepls. Resurrection lvl 3 its ok too but lvl 5 it even better.

i use cleric2>diev2>Monk3, it has a semi-gap closer, and it lower cd of energy blast by a bunch

is this supposed to be Petamion?

maybe fedimian? haha

you got to wear the town

1 Like

Thanks mate! It was late. It’s fixed now.

1 Like

I could see why you’d like such a build. I think Diev 2 is a fine choice (especially for PvE), but it might be limited in options in terms of straight up duels or GvG scenarios. I can see it being good for chokes as you could funnel everyone into an area. I really like how monstrance works after you start hitting lots of DEX. The 30+ DEX actually adds more than that if you hit high enough. It’s pretty sexy.

Yeah, people don’t really like small heal tiles for leveling. However, the block rate is nice for PvP and will allow you to get up close and personal with pesky classes. I opted for a more all-arounder build with cleric 2. If I were given the choice again, I’d go Priest 3. Stone Skin is amazing.

for duels i have a plan 9im onlt c1 monk so im pretty limited)

1. Laima (For Slow)
    2.Palm Strike (knockback, knockdown)
  2. while theyre knocked down, run fast to them then use hand knife (knock up)
    4.One inch punch
  3. GG

ive tested this against monsters (without using laima) so the only thing that might be a problem is trying to get to them so i can be able to land palm strike, which i think laima will help with. but for now, i cant use one inch so ill jsut replace one inch with carve x3 and doube punch until they die.

Edit: Dont know why my numbers are messed up, just ignore it

Really cool guide build and guide, dude. Grats. Can we got some videos showing your Monk in action? (PvE and PvP)

1 Like

Yes pvp and pve vids!! nice guide :blush:

PvP/GvG build with only 30 Con O_o? I saw Swordsman DPS builds for PvP that suggest 40-50 Con for PvP.

I also think that this build derserves more CON.
I liked the Stat Build below for a Dex PvP based Build. Since Monstrance make you achieve 300 Dex with it.

With Priest and Revive you can go low CON just fine.

My personal favorite would be to go diev-sadhu-monk3.
The Sadhu fixes the mobility problem in PVP as you can close gaps with the fast oob. You can also use all Monk skills while oob!
The only question is whether these scale with INT or STR then. Also if you double punch your main body and the ghost both use it which makes it quad punch. :smiley:
And you can combo cc body explosion into one inch punch. By R7 one should have mastered this skill.

i dont see why deprotected zone woule be lv3 if you can get one more second of cure out of putting that point in there. it might not be much but its a little bit of minmax IMO.

I like your build and will roll a cleric for it later this evening

You may confuse people about that[quote=“Sciguma, post:14, topic:283766”]
You can also use all Monk skills while oob!
[/quote]

Yes you are right,but only the body can perform them and not the spirit which defeats the purpose imo.And you got a video showing both spirit and body can perform Monks skill,may you please show us the source.

Btw you know the OoB has it’s own AA right?

Btw one doesn’t use please x2 in a sentence. Decide for one. :stuck_out_tongue:

This video doesn’t show

Er… the soul aka spirit is not doing double punches, it’s the OoB attacks which is base on magic damage of the user.

Sadhu and Monk right now has poor synergy,the only thing I see that is somewhat useful is the fact you can get closer or further from your enemies.But why would you waste 1 rank for that.Furthermore, the Astral Body Explosion combo with Palm Strike or 1 inch Punch is so situational and about how your enemy is position.You can only pull that combo off if your target(s) are at a certain distance from your soul and body to have them land near your body to perform your Monks skills.On the other hand,you don’t get to control the direction of where your target(s) land after the Astral Body Explosion,so it’s even harder to land the combo.

Monk is base on STR and DEX and Sadhu is base on INT for damage,so is kinda hard to optimize your damage when you have to get STR,CON,INT and DEX.

You don’t stat INT for OOB damage just like you don’t stat INT for Carve Owl damage as a Diev Monk. You get magic attack from your weapon and headgear if you want and you can still do decent damage with OOB while your actual body is using all the monk skills. Also there’s an attribute that makes OOB attacks lower enemy physical defense by 30% which is very helpful. I’ll post a video of a Cleric > Priest 2 > Sadhu > Monk 2 > PD when I get home from work, but you can apparently use PD’s Incineration while spamming OOB attacks too.

Your right

INt does help but not a lot compare to gear/weapons and % enchant attribute.
However,again you will suffer from getting gear that wouldn’t help your Monk.There is some weapons that can benefit magical and physical damage at the same time but for gear is mostly either or.

But my point was that OoB doesn’t let your spirit perform Double punch,1 inch Punch,Palm Strike or any other Monk skills.It only makes your body perform does skills.The build is good for PVE and for PVP imo its not a good choice.You still wouldn’t catch a Cataphract or a Hasted Chronomancer,in addition there is a small delay when your relocate your body with your soul and another delay to perform the Monk skill so by that time your opponent in PVP.GvG would be long gone.

For PVE I see this build working very well.If your choosing Sadhu with Monk for PVP then you will be wasting a rank.

Yes you can and again your body performs it not your spirit.It’s very good for mobbing or any PVE content but for PVP… not too good imo,there is better options than Sadhu with Monk.