Tree of Savior Forum

Birthday Gifts for Characters

Since there’s been some confusion I’ll edit and add this quick reference introduction with a rational definition and solid examples used as arguments for the sake of clarity. The definition and examples below come from Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2 (which are what I used as inspiration) so please keep in mind some of them only work in their respective game systems.

A Birthday Present is a type of present that is awarded to each character every 12 months, counting from the day of creation. It appears in inventory the first time that character enters the game after reaching the milestone.

Guild Wars Birthday Present Rewards

These include

• Vanity Pets (not included as a system in ToS as of September 2015). Vanity Pets, or miniatures, are tiny cosmetic pets that follow you around looking cute. These could work in ToS as a form of custom cosmetic skins for the current Companions if they ever decide to implement them as a cash shop item, for example.
  • Tonics (relative system in ToS as of September 2015). Tonics are items that change the player’s appearance to that of another in-game model, like a monster or animal. I say it’s a relative system because of Druids’ skill Shapeshifting. Of course the effect should remain purely cosmetic and not add to combat, like Shapeshifting does.

Guild Wars 2 Birthday Gift Rewards

These include

• Titles (viable reward for ToS as of September 2015). Self-explanatory. For each year, you receive a different cosmetic title (no stats attached, just like in ToS). Namely these titles for GW2 are: Loyal, 1st year. Veteran, 2d year. Faithful, 3rd year. The game launched three years ago, so the oldest a character can be due to creation date is three years old acquiring these three titles.
  • Vanity Pets. Explained above.
  • Boosters (not included as a system for ToS as of September 2015). Boosters are not a thing in ToS yet.
  • Experience Scrolls (relative system in ToS as of September 2015). I say relative, because while Experience Scrolls in ToS don’t (and shouldn’t) exist, this reward could be replaced by EXP Cards.
  • Side-Currency (viable reward for ToS as of September 2015). Reward in the form of a small sum (5 in the example) of Talt, the only currency existing besides Silver and iCoins right now. Its use is yet to be defined.
  • Fun Sub-Weapons (viable reward for ToS as of September 2015). Sub-weapons like a birthday horn and other cosmetic items like these used for silly fun and recreational/social activities as seen here.
  • Dyes (not included as a system for ToS as of September 2015). Dyes to change color of costumes, in case they decide to implement such feature.
  • Finishers (not included as a system for ToS as of September 2015). This is a feature exclusive to GW2. The only equivalent I could think of for ToS is some special animation with a nice visual effect, which remains cosmetic. Maybe unlockable chat emoticons (Popolion with a birthday hat?) or poses from the F8 menu should they decide to implement additional ones.
  • Teleport to Friend (viable reward for ToS as of September 2015). Self-explanatory. The item teleports you to a party member. This one, while viable, I wouldn’t suggest as a reward per se. It could be replaced by the already existing normal teleport scrolls in ToS.

Note that the reward examples listed above are suggestions based on an already existing system. These are in no way all the rewards that could be implemented for ToS if we consider the game’s own features and environment. These birthday rewards can be mix-and-matched in any way possible depending on existing features. Lastly, this thread’s main purpose is to suggest the existence of such system in the first place. Suggestions for rewards are optional, but welcome.

One feature I’ve seen (yes, Guild Wars) that’s really cute are birthdays gifts for characters. The development team (the automatic system actually, but why break the illusion) sends you a little present when your character has reached one or more full years since it was created. The gift itself could just be something cosmetic or a few iCoins.

This is really nice because, as stated, it gives you a feeling the team appreciates the time you’ve been with them playing their awesome game. Not only that, but it feels nice to receive a gift and think back on how much progress you’ve made (or not) with that character in a year.

I don’t think it poses much of a problem because:

• It’s only once a year come on.

• There’s a character limit so there’s only so many gifts you can
    expect to get at once (not like it matters really) before spending
    iCoins on bigger barracks. Or just make it Team based to keep it
    simple.

Nobody hates themselves and their lives so much they wouldn’t want to receive a gift on their birthday, right? :monkey_face:

11 Likes

What is this birthday you speak of? I was always this 2.5D being that doesn’t ever age, can revive, can be burned, frozen, petrified, cut, pierced, slashed, and struck by lightning 10000 times.

6 Likes

I think its fine as long as it is not available the year of the games launch. Because i have seen these gifts give decent things and players would set their bday a day or 2 after the day they start playing to get a early boost.

Oh no, the feature wouldn’t have the players set anything. The system would take character creation date as birthday and send the gift (which doesn’t need to be gamebreaking) one year later, each year.

1 Like

You assume people would have to hate themselves or their lives in order to not want a gift on their birthday, that’s incredibly ignorant.

he just made a joke there

I quite like this idea, and see nothing wrong with giving some sort of gift each year on the date your account was created.

Giving it per character though, I am not quite as much of a fan of. Although the number of characters you can have is limited, some players will be able to have more than others (IMC has already stated that it will be possible to increase the size of your barracks).

I don’t see this anywhere in the forum O_o?

Edit:O the joke at the end of the topic i seeee it now

Haha sounds like a nice idea. I would be happy with NPCs saying something like “Wow, it has been a year since you first came here” or some stuff like that anyway XD

2 Likes

ya nothing wrong with that - make the stuff bound to character and any abusing of this by simply filling your char slots is solved

1 Like

Totally behind that, it’s a cool addition as long as it’s just a little gift =)

But it’s a completely worthless feature that adds nothing to the game and is just an excuse so lazy people can get free stuff considering the world doesn’t age and time doesn’t pass. It seemed a pointless feature in Atlantica and it’d be a pointless feature in this.

At least in another game theres an actual time that passes and it’s set so that a year is one week long so you get a ‘birthday’ gift every week on the day of creation, of course only if you’re paying as a premium player and the item is near worthless but still.

Fact is they won’t give anything of any value because it would either play favoritism to older players, or take away from cash shop purchases.

You people assume it was a joke.

I don’t care for my birthday, I don’t care for gifts, doesn’t mean I hate my life, to assume so is just flat out stupid.

You people are already getting a great game for free, stop being spoiled brats wanting more free junk.

It increases immersion. Anything that makes you tie your life closer to the game is better for sales, so why not?

1 Like

Create a new account everyday > New gifts everyday

You will receive the gifts when your character is 1 year old.

5 Likes

Maybe combining that idea with OP’s you get a birthday present if your account is old enough and it is your birthday

1 Like

And YOU came out here to express something off-topic, being aggressive for no reason at all.

Please, refrain yourself from posting if it’s for that ^^’

1 Like

He was replying directly something mentioned in the OP. Explain how that’s off-topic? Or I assume you didn’t read the OP saying how only “only people who hate themselves wouldn’t want birthday presents” as a losing comment, nor his previous reply saying how insensitive the comment was.

Just because you want freebies for doing nothing doesn’t mean everyone does.

I think it’s a fine idea, wouldn’t mind if it didn’t happen or did happen, but it’d be nice if it was in place.

Even if some one made an account every day, it’d be fine so long as all the stuff was non-tradeable.

4 Likes