Tree of Savior Forum

AOE Defense Ratio; the strongest GvG stat perhaps?

So I was checking in on the Hair Accessory post I’d made when I came to a startling realization…

For GvG the AOE Defense Ratio stat has to be about the single most important stat possible that I can think of o.o I didn’t put a lot of thought into it before but… hear me out. And feel free to offer forth your opinions in the thread. Stacking that stat could change the tide in GvG and I expect some of the more successful guilds in GvGs will be doing this from now on o.o

Players start with a default AOE Defense Ratio stat of 1. Just 1 single measly little point. Hair Accessories with the AOE Defense Ratio stat essentially give you +300% to that base stat when stacking each piece with it, for a grand total of 4 AOE Defense Ratio if each piece worn has +1 AOE Defense Ratio.

Before we go on, I understand, of course, that not all skills use the AOE Attack Ratio. Most are limited only by total hits, or duration, etc. But a lot of skills also base their ratio off of your character’s AOE Attack Ratio stat, including all of your melee auto attacks. But for the example below we’ll skip those and just say that all skills being used are based on AOE Attack Ratio.

Now… Let’s assume there are 10 vs 10 on a field. Each side has the same classes, same levels, etc. Guild A has each member wearing 3 hair accessories with the +1 AOE Defense Ratio stat (a very difficult stat to find elsewhere), for a total of 4 AOE Defense Ratio per member. Guild B has not taken this step.

Let’s say now that each member of both guilds has an AOE that has an AOE Attack Ratio of 5, which is fairly modest. Let’s also say that each hit done is 1k damage for simplicity. Both teams are huddled in a tight and easy to hit formation because, well, example lol.

Guild A unleashes their AOEs and they all hit. 10 members cast, 5 AOE Attack Ratio means each AOE hits 5 enemy players (their AOE Defense Ratio is 1) so… 10x5 = 50 hits, 50k damage.

Guild B unleashes their AOEs and they… well, they hit only 2 people per AOE. 10 members cast, 5 AOE Attack Ratio means each AOE hits 2 enemy players (5 AOE Attack Ratio - 4 AOE Defense Ratio, remaining 1 AOE Attack Ratio gets rounded up by the game to include another target) so 10x2 = 20k damage.

That stat, over the course of several AOEs, countless total hits, is almost the same as saying… “Reduce the other team’s total damage dealt by AOE Attack Ratio skills by 50% or more” and… in a lot of cases… a lot more.

Elementalist’s Meteor: 10 AOE Attack Ratio (Guild A hits 10 enemy players, Guild B hits only 3 enemy players; Guild A prevented/negated 70% of Guild B’s total Meteor Damage)… but it’s also not just that. Having less people being hit means that more players survive, which means it increases your team’s overall damage dealt too. In addition to that, since less people are being hit, the odds of even low-hp members getting away safely increases with more AOE Defense Ratio. Damage done, or received, is one thing, but it opens up a whole other level when you consider that several members may not even be hit at all, even if they are already only one hit away from death. People are adding +HP to try and keep themselves alive, but if everyone has +AOE Defense Ratio then you could be saving yourself or teammates from way more damage received than what the little +HP would offer in comparison.

Now this is even more important when you consider that players are always trying to get even more AOE Attack Ratio from their gear, so for every AOE Attack Ratio that Guild A has extra they will hit another body, whereas Guild B needs +4 extra AOE Attack Ratio to hit another body. Guild A needs +2 AOE Attack Ratio to hit 2 more people, Guild B needs +8 more AOE Attack Ratio to hit 2 more people.

It adds up pretty quickly.

Most Swordsman types will be up close and personal and have a decent AOE Attack Ratio, but to even hit more than 2 players at once they will have to have a total of 9+ AOE Attack Ratio, 13+ if they want to hit more than just 3 players if the opposing guild is stacking AOE Defense Ratio.

Thoughts? Feels? Anyone?

8 Likes

You are quite correct. I dont think many players figured out its effect yet tho (its pretty huge having it on the right people in dungeons and worldbosses as well)

A tank (whether an actual tank or just someone who takes the damage) makes a dungeon run much smoother if they have a high aoe defense ratio since the whole group will take a lot less damage.

2 Likes

I think you’re correct too. Personally, I’ve tested this using AoE defense ratio on all 3 of my hair costumes. By chance I got them and stopped when they came out even as only singular enchants.

1 Like

Aoe ratio is easier to stack than aoe defense thou.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

True, which makes AOE Defense Ratio that much better. Not only are there very limited sources for the stat (specific pieces of equipment, hat enchants, etc) but the fact that so many people stack AOE Attack Ratio means that not only will you be countering them for your team but your team will also be countering them for you. Even if the enemy can stack +10 AOE Attack Ratio they will be thinking they will be able to attack 10 more players per AOE Ratio based skill, but wouldn’t they be sad to realize then that between your gear + hat enchants they are only hitting 2 more players if each has +5 AOE Defense Ratio? xD

It is notable though that most of those skills that do not have an AOE Attack Ratio are pretty predictable. If you see a Fire Pillar you move away from the Fire Pillar. If a Flame Ground is nearby then be sure to treat it as a zoning tool and bring the fight somewhere that isn’t right on top of it lol Most of those skills will get only a few hits (unless you’re CC’d, and that’s a whole other topic lol) even if they are well-placed. But the idea the post raises is that out of all the stats you see currently that AOE Defense Ratio is likely the best tool for GvG’s.

I mean it in a literal sense though. For instance let’s look at these hat enchants:

Hat 1: PATK +27, HP + 579

versus

Hat 2: AOE Defense Ratio +1, PATK + 25

The idea is that AOE Defense Ratio is going to be a much better election for your guild on the battle field than another single stat. We could even drop HP off the first hat and add Fire Attack +30. Is that extra 30 fire damage per hit going to turn the tide of battle? Or does potentially saving a teammate from being hit (and thus dying) make a greater impact? What if it is that teammate that just saved you from being melted because they stacked AOE Defense Ratio?

Sure it’s not applicable in all situations. But in a lot of important ones it is. Which is why I suggest that it may be one of the more undervalued stats at the moment and that it may be a very important stat for PvP (of course not in a 1v1 sense at all).

I’d be very interested to see two guilds battle it out, in a controlled and friendly setting, and go to the best 2 out of 3, then have the guild that lost twice switch to AOE Defense Ratio gear/enchants and see what happens in the next matches. I have a feeling that if both guilds are fairly matched that the one that switches to AOE Defense Ratio stacking will win the next ones. (I’m not implying though that a weak guild can stack the stat and expect to defeat a much better geared, more organized, GvG war machine lol)

2 Likes

AoE defense ratio will make you get hit first. It’s nice for tanks.

That’s almost everyone in pvp/gvg. Max con wiz, max con cleric.

Since most big battles are heavy on aoe, defense ratio works best, just keep in mind that when people realize that you’re stacking it, prepare to get singled out as they will tune their aoe to other people.

For sure xD

Although my idea is that, as a guild mechanic… think if everyone in the guild is stacking it? Like as a part of the guild’s mandatory requirement that the player is stacking AOE Defense Ratio.

The idea is that if multiple people are stacking it, and not just one person who is singled out (either via single target persecution or by simply being the first to eat every AOE he’s in), then it can change the battlefield. Suddenly nearly every swordsman skill is only hitting 1-2 people instead of the expected 6-10. Big skills like meteor that crash on to the field instead fizzle because it hit 3 people instead of 10-15+.

I think that’s the real beauty. It’s a cheap and common stat on hats so it wouldn’t take a lot for every guild member to have at least 4 AOE Defense Ratio (with some actual tanks then having 5+ from other sources to ensure they are the first to be hit).

Ohhhh nice info…I just necro this coz of lion shield aoe def ratio😘