Tree of Savior Forum

Anyone feel like we need more frequent spawns? Even after the +50% patch

Agreed. Even with the increase I still spend so much time sitting around just wasting time, waiting for mobs to spawn.

Yes, it needs to be vastly higher.

There are maps where you legit will kill like 3 enemies every 50 seconds because the density and rate of spawn is that bad. These maps were bad in ICBT2 as well. There are a lot of these poor maps. You basically do the quests in them and move on if they have any quests. Tempted to say they’re a waste of data.

The spawn changes they did last maintenance affect only the dynamic monster spawns; spawns that occur as you walk around where monsters appear to ambush you. Those should be occurring about twice as often.

Main issue is those aren’t the spawns people are complaining about. They’re complaining about quest mobs like Glizardons and Egnomes taking 5 minutes to respawn when in closed beta they would appear every 15 seconds. They’re complaining about maps that are literally empty until the next spawn interval hits because the map can be completely emptied by mobs. They’re complaining that sharing a map with even just one other person is a terrible experience because it drastically limits how effective they can be hunting mobs. Players are largely encouraged for this reason to seek out areas without other players, against regular MMO wisdom of playing with other players.

I compiled a list of current map spawn settings. This is a setting of how often the server checks a monster to respawn when they aren’t controlled by the dynamic spawn (smartgen) system. First column is time in ms for regular mobs, second column is time in ms for large monsters. Most all maps are set to 2 minutes for regular, and 5 minutes for large monsters.

13 Likes

This check is in line with the server right and independent from the monster right so if I understand you correctly.
The game should spawn every 2 minutes predictable on the server tick, and only skip a spawn if the monsters internal CD has not gone up to allow it to spawn.

Assuming this extends to other aspects of the game then Bosses spawn every 4 hours exactly from the Server start?

So If a maintainence has the server star at 5: am. Boss will spawn at 9 am. If its killed in 15 minutes it’ll spawn again at 1 pm and then 5 pm? If the internal cooldown is not met then instead of spawning at 9 it’ll go all the way to 1 pm?

The owl quest to kill 15 monsters in 2 minutes was the hardest thing i have done in this game due to how bad the spawns are. I essentially had to get lucky and have everything respawn right after i killed a gorup and hope no one else was killing in the zone. The respawn rates are terrible.

I think the devs just need to concentrate a lot more mobs near the quest areas and keep the rate as it is right now. The owl quest got me all pissed too. I had to wait for people to leave so I can spam stamina pills sprinting throughout the map looking for mobs.

@Staff_Julie @STAFF_Ethan take a look. This guy knows what he’s talking about. Right now it seems the Dev-Team doesn’t really understand what people are complaining about. I said it before and I will continue to do so: Try playing hour own game in its current state!

Please consider changing the spawn system to what it was like in the previous international closed betas. Please…

2 Likes

I already quit until this is fixed. The 2 minute base check is stupid, it needs to be 30 seconds or less, until then the same issues will apply and the maps will feel empty, ungrindable and just overall crap game play.

All my steam friends list who tried the game quit for this exact reason, it is already costing them large amounts of players who were interested in the game until they hit this problem.

FIX IT.

2 Likes

I have basically stopped playing the game until this is fixed, it’s miserable right now. What good is a grinder with nothing to grind on? I would much rather be playing this game right now but I’ve basically had to go back to some of my fallbacks since those are actually still, you know…fun.

Anyway, copy/pasting this from another thread on the same subject that I posted since my opinion hasn’t changed one bit so far:

While I applaud them for taking the first step to increasing monsters, 50% isn’t nearly enough. My friends at the higher levels are saying the empty maps are still just as empty, it just gives them another couple seconds of fun before they’re back to sitting on their behinds and not having fun again.

Lower levels maps are a little better, although even with with the increase there are rare mobs that are rare to the point of frustration. Not that I have anything against mobs with powerful drops being rare, especially in a game with competitive mobbing, but spending an hour+, post 50% increase, and not even seeing a single Vubbe Fighter in Crystal Mine 3 is terrible. A rare drop from a rare mob in a small map that gets filled with people. Again, I get it, some things should be rare, but once you start frustrating people you lose customers. Not that I’m threatening to leave or anything, just pointing that out.

Once the free to play hits the servers are going to be slammed with new players and if you were surprises by the amount of people willing to pay to play this game, just wait until you see all the freebies coming in to play. Not only are you going to need massively better server stability but the mob counts will need to go even higher if you hope to keep a good percentage of these free players. They invested nothing into the game, they will have nothing against leaving just as quickly as they joined if they get annoyed with something.

Again, I applaud the company for taking a first step, but we need more monsters. A lot more monsters. People compare this game to RO all the time but I think that’s wrong, the music and art are amazing but the gameplay is completely different, and the way the game treats monsters and maps are a world apart. In RO you had massive maps and generally no less than 6 maps you could be grinding on at any given point. In this game every single player is funneled into the same maps after a certain point, and only has two paths for starter leveling. Every single player doing the exact same quest on tiny maps with small mob counts leads to nothing but frustration.

The journal and collections makes this even worse (I love them both, by the way, so please don’t think otherwise). Players who need to kill hundreds of mobs and collect some rare loot who get stuck in these maps for hours on end will just end up not bothering after a while. Up until Mines 3 I made sure to clear every single objective in my journal, once I got there though it was just not worth the frustration anymore. Again, rare things being rare is fine, but once they become rare to the point they aren’t fun anymore you’re losing the point of a game: to be fun. For some reason, the rare/card hunting in RO never annoyed me as much as the rare hunting in this game does. Even the competition for MVPs, which was generally a cluster of lag and graphics as the whole map nuked a single spot at once, never bothered me. But the rare hunting in this game just feels…bad.

Anyway, again, thank you for taking the first step to improving the situation, but there still needs to be more monsters. Or, if not even more monsters, even faster respawns. Both would be even better.

4 Likes

It is horrendous and I really wish the trading restrictions weren’t getting so much attention, because it’s causing this to be pushed down the priority list when it’s the single biggest issue with the game. Even with the old respawn times, the majority of maps were impossible to grind in in iCBT2 simply because mob density was so low or the mobs were too poorly tuned to be worth killing. With the new respawn timers the low density maps are even more barren wastelands and one player can seriously run through the entire map and kill every single mob before they respawn. It’s nonsensical in a game like this.

Or… You could just make spawns instant when things die and place them randomly around the map. It solves more problems than it creates imo.

2 Likes

Normally I wouldn’t bother with this since I don’t grind, just quest 100% of the time.

However, when I come across a kill quest that has a time limit of 2 minutes, the spawn become so horrendous and unbearable. When you are asked to kill 15 mobs within 2 minutes and you CANNOT even find 15 mobs on map, that is just ridiculous.

Please fix the spawn rate

1 Like

I’m wondering if they nerfed the spawn system for the early access in an attempt to keep the average level of players lower, that way when the game officially launches, there won’t be as many people at or near max level merging into the masses of new players.

It’s definitely much harder to complete many quests with how few monsters are available, and how long you must wait to get a chance at killing some. A steady grind isn’t very viable right now, since you usually either have to wait around for something to pop back up, or travel halfway across the map after killing each group.

Their sudden, seemingly inexplicable change from the CBT’s functional spawn system to this one would certainly be explained, if this were true. Maybe they’ll change it back as soon as F2P arrives. If my theory’s wrong though, I hope they at least see they’ve made a mistake with whatever this is.

2 Likes

@STAFF_Ethan @Staff_Julie

I truly would appreciate if you would look into the issues raised here in regards to spawn rate. There has been no explanation given why the drastic change from icbt and now. They are two completely different systems, the current system of spawn checking every 2 mins is not conducive to a grind game. It lends itself to anti social behavior and frustration on players.

If this is temporary to deal with server loads, then I think the players would very much appreciate confirmation that is is temporary. You have to understand that as you level higher each mob gives less and less % due to the low curve. This means that the current system of many mobs on lower maps to almost none on higher maps, is completely the opposite to how it should be.

Your team has shown very good strides in addressing issues thus far, which gives me hope you will do what is best for your players.

The 50% increase that was applied was not what people were looking for, dynamic spawns are fine. It is a density and spawn check timer issue on static zone based spawns.

We have faster spawn rates then Ktos.

That’s not really true. The regular spawn rates are identical. We have faster rates on dynamic monster spawns (the pop-out ambush spawns), but that is really a small amount in the overall scheme of things.

2 Likes

You just highlighted the difference which is why we have faster spawns.
It not being a large boost doesn’t change the validity of my statement.
The reality is that spawns weren’t decreased for Itos/early access, they were changed in ktos and we inherited it with a slight improvement last week.

Just run across some 70+ maps. Impossible to level here, barely any monsters, you need to wait around 5 min to kill 8-10 of them in 30 seconds and than wait again. Two players can clear whole map on all chanlles. I can only imagine how bad it will be with f2p release.

You’re right, they are different… but the patch notes claimed 50% faster, which is very obviously not correct.

1 Like