Tree of Savior Forum

A possible solution to bots: in-game CAPTCHA-quiz item

From my experience with those bot bombs, no one ever used them. The ones who did were just using it on people for fun/grief/experimentation. Funnily enough, they were removed from the game soon after their rework. (See Ticking Quiz Bomb) Due to that, Mabinogi may have not been the best example to use in my opinion.

Also, I think bot runners have most likely deemed the game (Mabinogi) “unprofitable” for their purposes. (Much of the gold comes from higher difficulty mission rewards, rather than killing field mobs.) Which is why you see very few bots, if any, and only show around when major patches hit. (But only to spam chat.) The most bots have done probably was ruin commerce prices for about half a year, and I guess kill a large amount of raccoons.

Don’t try to make it as if you were the victim.

Read your replies and compare them to the rest of replies of this post.

See the difference between someone with arguments and someone that comes directly to insult.

Also, it seems you have been called out by other person posting here, for your hostile attitude.

How surprising (not).

And i already answered you, but you keep refusing to read.

My first post was a complaint about more and more annoying things being added to the game. There is no insult directed at you in said post.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you threw the first insult regarding reading, and yet you seem to be the one who isn’t reading. Re Read my first post there is no insult at you as i have stated.

Oh come on, use your head. If a user successfully completes a captcha they can no longer be “captcha’d” again for 1 hour. Problem solved.

If bots in mabi could easily solve the captcha used then mabi used a really @#$%ty captcha. Don’t implement a @#$%ty captcha. Problem solved.

There’s a reason every major tech company uses captchas for their signup processes. They work when implemented well.

I’m not necessarily a fan of this idea, but your problems with it are trivial.

2 Likes

The fact you find solving a puzzle more annoying than bots choking the life out of the game just goes to show how little investment you actually have in it…

Same with @tzxazrael

@WindyAutumn:

@tzxazrael is trolling. Nothing he says ever follows a logical thread of reasoning, and he commonly ignores basic logic. He’s already stated he would rather IMC do nothing than for us to have to do a simple captcha or logic test to prove humanity, simply because it annoys him…when bots also annoy him, but he apparently doesn’t care…

Ignore the idiots and continue offering ideas until IMC gets their act together.

Actually the fact that im fighting for a solution that doesn’t punish or annoy legit players proves that i am invested in the game.

Edit: As a addition here is a alternative that doesn’t give me frequent annoyances and cannot be used for trolling.

You’ve already spent more time in this thread typing enough words to cover 2 weeks worth of captchas in-game…

I don’t hear you calling this thread a punishment…
I don’t hear anyone calling forced equal trading annoying other than players who already want to game the system…

Must have been so hard on you to create your IMC account, eh? Having to complete the FB or G+ captcha and email verification…so annoying.

I got a hunch that people who actually oppose this are using bots. Like hell this idea is not original and already worked for some games, how come this is a bad suggestion?

1 Like

This is annoying but deal with this annoying argument will hop fully prevent a continuous annoyance in the future.

Lets say a poison snake bites your had, You could cut off your hand or take a antidote. Both solve the problem but one is far superior is it not?

T H I S

“Add an anti-bot captcha”

“NO, it’s annoying. I don’t wanna enter a captcha once every 3 hours, it’s a punishment to me, even if it stops botters. It’s annoying to have to do things 3 TIMES in 10 HOURS.”

Who even comes to that conclusion? Pretty sure the responsible drivers feel DWI-checkpoints “annoying” but they’d rather not be DEAD because some drunk twat didn’t ram into them engine first that could have been arrested with a blockade of authority

“No, officer, don’t test if the driver ahead of me is drunk, I don’t want to blow into a straw, I find it annoying…”

The idiots around this forum, I swear…

This truly made me laugh, hahaha

ok, smartass… how is that going to solve anything?

then the bots farm for 2 1/2 hours and log off. the botters switch to a different account. they never answer a captcha or are even prompted by it.
hell, half the regular players probably log off before hitting a 3 hour stretch in one go.

and here’s this excuse again. @DxDark claimed the same thing in another thread. “some game in 2008 or 2009”… but strangely, he was never able to find that name.

show me what -you- have. show me some games this has successfully worked in?

See that analogy I used with the DWI/DUI checkpoint?

Police/Checkpoint ----- IMC/Captcha
Sober Driver ----- Normal Player
Drunk Driver / Law Breaker ---- Botter/Bot

You — Annoyed Driver (Normal Player) who wants to ignore the fact that Drunk Drivers (Botters) are out there and may cause deadly (or in the case of the game, the death of the community population, turned off because nothing is done about botters…), and can be stopped by the Police (IMC) using Tools (Police Cruiser/Captcha) to funnel normal players through, and catch drunk jackasses in the process.

…You tried to equilibrate a 5 second captcha to cutting your hand off, and offered ZILCH for your “antidote” stand-in which is supposedly the better option…which means you, once again (just like @tzxazrael) have nothing to offer.

Just leave…seriously.

ok, let’s rewrite this to how it would work for botters.

the drunk driver (your botter) swerves all over the road as he drives. but he knows a checkpoint is coming up, so he pulls over and gets out of his car. (logs off.)
now he walks down the sidewalk past the checkpoint, maybe he waves to the officers. then he gets into a new car and drives off drunkenly as soon as he’s out of sight. (logs on to a different account).

meanwhile, the cops are convinced their system is working, because they pull over a drunk (non-pro botter) once in a while, in addition to all the sober drivers (the legit players).

yep, this system is clearly working, with no flaws.

1 Like

Maybe because 2008/2009 is over 7 years ago…? Oh, and it also happens to resemble at least 3 other games I’ve played, so hunting it down on ■■■■ sites like MMOHut isn’t going to help. Only thing I can remember now is anime-like, chibi characters…

Oh, I’m smart. You’re not…care to answer why you STILL, for the 20th time, that you do not understand that the server

REQUIRES. A. POSITIVE. RESPONSE. NO RESPONSE = FAILURE.

You want to log off before the limit hits and log back in within an hour: Here’s a captcha. Solve it, jackass…

Like I said previously, you can’t read worth a damn and choose remain that way…I feel bad for your English teacher(s).

OFFER A COUNTER SOLUTION or ■■■■ off…and that goes double for you, Mr.Snakebite.

I actually know the game, its called Cabal Online and now nearing to be ended since a remake is going out via the same name with new engine (actually also waiting for that to be released, lol).

idk if it made popular in other regions but it was really a hit in SEA up until today. Bots were easily caught by this simple method. The trick they use is they do it randomly but never too soon to the point its annoying. Real players actually looks forward for that to pop-up since it gives out rewards like some gold or some random stuff. Not really rare but helpful things like TPs or pots.

That way its not annoying anymore right?

Captcha 10 minutes after login, and if wrong twice would be an hour without can login if wrong again three hours and etc… until block the account.

yup, something like that

Issue is they only stop scrub botters. Not the serious ones that are causing the issues.

weeeeelllllll maaaaaaayyyyybbbbbbbeee…
because you’ve never really bothered to examine that point before? good job, smarty. first time you’ve even -mentioned- it in this thread.

now i’ve got as many accounts as i want to. how long will this “queued” captcha wait to remember me?
more than an hour?
more than a day?
more than a week?

what’s going to happen to other captchas, are they going to queue up too? i log off for a couple of days and half to answer a dozen captcha when i log in?
i really -hope- that this idea [queueing up stacks of captchas offline] is as ridiculous to you as it is to me.

but then again… who cares how long it remembers to captcha me when i log on later?
i’m a human sitting right there at the keyboard.
i’ll just answer the captcha, turn the bot on, set my timer for another 2.5 hours, and move over to repeat at the next computer.

so if i’m just an idiot, why can i poke a hole in every reiteration of your captcha scheme?
why don’t you quit dodging the issue with your insults and screaming, and actually defend the method you propose, instead of just dismissing it because i’m not offering something for you to piss on

money would be straight out. the bots would just try to provoke it on themselves if there were a way, to dig out that tiny extra bit of gold. but something like potions worth zero silver or something might be nice. or untradable temporary cosmetic items. 10 captcha tickets buys you a temporary hair dye. 15 captcha tickets buys you a temporary clothing dye. or something trivial but fun like that. untradeable items, with zero sale value, and a timer, so even if you don’t use them, they go away eventually.
see, i still hate the idea. i think it only punishes legit players, and the bots will have it solved faster than it got installed… but at least you’re trying to improve on the general concept.